[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is Sweetney overhyped?
Author Thread
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
3/31/2004  3:21 PM
That was the suggestion on another string. Point was something to the effect that his numbers aren't really that special and that all we can say at this point is he's a promising rookie.

I don't buy it. It's not his numbers I look at, but the kind of plays he makes. Great rebounds in traffic at critical points in games. Steals and deflections where he moves like a guard. Sweets brings a rare combination of bulk ... the guys a load ... and quickness. And on top of that, he seems to have the right attitude. The improvement he's made this season has been impressive.

There's a reason Sweets is the Garden favorite. IMO, he'll be our starting power forward for the next 5 - 10 years, and he'll be playing on some all-star teams during that period.
AUTOADVERT
DaMano718
Member: #342
3/31/2004  3:27 PM
SWEETNEY is CHARLES OAKLEY REINCARNATED.. EXCEPT NOT MEAN enought.. But that will come in time....
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/31/2004  3:32 PM
Sweet and Oakley are nothing alike. Sweetney is a 6'7 player with great footwork, great strength and the wingspan of a guy thats 7'1. If you saw him in college at all (I admit I only saw him 4 games) you can see he really is a skill player, not just a big dude that pushed around smaller guys.

He needs to change his body (he's only 21 remember) and adjust to the NBA. Hey.. he's got time. My (conservative) prediction is he's our starting PF in 2 years from now.. around the time he's 23-24. I think he will be a 15/12/2 player in this league for 10 years.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/31/2004  3:39 PM
I'll give him til his 3rd season b4 he's a starter

Sweets is a fan favorite because he's a hard worker. I love watching him fight for those offensive rebounds.

Mark Aguirre is doing great working with him. He will be a monster in the future.

He even looks like he lost a good amount of weight since Spoon left...no1 waving big macs in his face I guess.

I would love to see Sweets get a few more starts. IMO he's earned it.

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 03/31/2004 15:40:39]
DaMano718
Member: #342
3/31/2004  3:47 PM
How can you say sweetney and oakley are nothing alike.. did you watch the knicks in the early 90's ...; Who was the one, getting Off rebs.. who was the one doing the dirty work, deflecting shot, steeling the ball.. he was a 12 10 man everynight.... 40 minuts...... oakley was 6-9... so what if they are 2 whole inches off.... you obviousely dont remember oakly in the early ninties,....
fishmike
USA
3/31/2004  3:51 PM
I saw every one of those games. They arent build anything alike, their styles are nothing alike. Oakley had no back to the basket game. The only thing they have in common is both are good offensive rebounders and they both play with great energy.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/31/2004  3:56 PM
Sweets need to do 4 things to be able to make his mark in the NBA:

- shape his body
- learn team defense (rotations, weak side d, help d)
- consistant 15 foot shot
- post move

Depending on the team roster, I see Sweets starting in 2 years (some time in the middle of the season).
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/31/2004  3:57 PM
Sweets is different that Oak. Oakley never could dunk the ball as fast as him. Oak had a jump hook and a turn around that were sickening to look at...that is whenever he was allowed to do it.

I agree that they are very similiar. I said before Sweets is a throwback. He's just exciting. A straight up NYC player. I feel his game really reps the NY game. All we gotta do now is put KT on the injured list if his finger is so screwed up. Knicks got Mutombo coming back, right?

Baker and Sweets need to play more than 11 minutes 16 minutes.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/31/2004  3:59 PM
Oak and Sweets have hussle similarities, but really that's where it ends. Oak had zero footwork, no post moves, a weird set shot. Sweetney has the potential to be much better.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TRU
Member: #196
USA
3/31/2004  4:38 PM
I said my peace about Sweetney before. A great man once said "there's no p%ssy like new p%ssy."

Despite the crassness of the statement, the point is well taken. We like Sweetney because he's new fish. We don't demand much from him in 10 minutes per, and when he delivers anything, we rejoice.

Truth is, as I've pointed out on more than one occasion, only one top ten pick has delivered less than he has this year, and it's Darko (who doesn't play).

We don't get to see much rookie play in New York. We seldom draft high enough to get anyone good, and when we do have one that shows promise, more often than not there's too much pressure on the coach to win for the rook to get any burn.

Wait till the novelty wears off with Sweetney. And wasn't it "Fatsweets" like a minute ago, you fickle bunch of school girls?

[Edited by - TRU on 03/31/2004 16:39:48]
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
starbizzle
Member: #631
New Zealand
3/31/2004  5:02 PM
sweetney is not overhyped if ne one gets more respect than they deserve on this team is frank williams...moochie is our backup pg...
it aint marbury its STARBURY!
fishmike
USA
3/31/2004  5:18 PM
"Truth is, as I've pointed out on more than one occasion, only one top ten pick has delivered less than he has this year, and it's Darko (who doesn't play)."

This might also be the best draft class since 99 when there were 12-15 BIGTIME NBA players. Also I think if Sweetney started in a better situation he would be further along, and not having to fight for a spot behind $26 mill worth of Spoon, Harrington, McDyess and Kurt Thomas. No wonder they ignored him for the first 3 months.
EnySpree

3/31/2004  5:29 PM
Posted by TRU:

And wasn't it "Fatsweets" like a minute ago, you fickle bunch of school girls?

[Edited by - TRU on 03/31/2004 16:39:48]

well I dunno about everyone else but my feelings are hurt.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

3/31/2004  5:35 PM
I agree with Fish about the 1999 comparison.

Alot of the picks this year have made their mark. Sweets has not been getting the time.

He can't even get in the game when the starter is playing terrible. His time will come and you know Isiah is watching and taking note. Isiah could sweep Kurt Thomas off the roster along with Othella to make way for Sweets and Baker. I personally would like to see them both play more than the sub 20 minutes per game they've been getting
TRU
Member: #196
USA
3/31/2004  5:36 PM
Posted by fishmike:

This might also be the best draft class since 99 when there were 12-15 BIGTIME NBA players. Also I think if Sweetney started in a better situation he would be further along, and not having to fight for a spot behind $26 mill worth of Spoon, Harrington, McDyess and Kurt Thomas. No wonder they ignored him for the first 3 months.

There were other factors too. He had a death in the family, plus he came into camp overweight. Saying that this was a great draft class just emphasizes his underachievement.

Listen, i'm not saying the guy is bum. He's showing lots of promise, and he's alot of fun to watch. But he's NOT a premier rookie. He's a third-string power forward on a sub-.500 team. Not the Goddam second coming.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
EnySpree

3/31/2004  6:02 PM
He's a third-string power forward on a sub-.500 team. Not the Goddam second coming.

Geez....
You should drink some Green Tea.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/31/2004  11:13 PM
First of all The sweetney / Oakley comparison stops at the offensive rebounding. Sweetney actually has a lot of offensive skills and he can convert on the offensive put back, do we remember all the missed layups and blocked put back by oakley? I like sweets, he does have a lot of intangibles and things you just can't teach.I think he will be a fantastic player...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
4/1/2004  12:07 AM
There have been a lot of PFs his size that haven't been good enough to hold down starting spots (Traylor, Fizer, Trent) in recent years.

How does he project 5 years down the road? I mean... really, isn't he a lot like a young 'Spoon? As he gets older (and builds more muscle), will he lose quickness/leaping ability... or will he become more refined (like Elton Brand)?

Spoon's numbers peaked in his 2nd year in the league, with 18.4ppg/10.2rpg/1.4bpg in 38mpg.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/863/career
After that, he became rather erratic with his rebound/point averages.

The more I think about it, it's just like my backup/starting center threads about Mohammed a few weeks ago. Give him a lot of minutes, and he looks like he's capable of averaging a double double.

If we take a close look at his offensive skills, where does he stand? Is he limited by the # of touches/chances he gets?

Brand is the exception to the rule on undersized big men who don't have some level of SF skills. Somehow he gets it done (20/10 worth)... I'm not sure how Sweetney measures up--- he could just be another Traylor/Trent/Fizer and these are just flashes of brilliance, nothing more.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
RonRon
Member: #246
4/1/2004  2:55 AM
although sweets can possibly be an effective offensive rebounder and decent post player, he is still only 6'7. if we plan to have sweets start for us some day, i think we will need to get a legit center which is ofcourse quite rare. If we dont get a center, it will remind me of the LJ days.
TheSage
Member: #386
4/1/2004  8:10 AM
Any comparison to LJ is nonsense. LJ was all world, could do it all despite his lack of size and then the world collapsed because of his back. Oakley was solid rebounder, great defensive player, enforcer and in his later years could throw in bombs. Sweetney will be a different type of player-excellent rebounder with great hands (as good as any player with his size), quick jumper with long arms which compensate for his lack of ideal height. How far he goes and how good he becomes depends on how he developes his mid range jumper. He could become a Karl Malone (would love that) or merely a solid starting PF with excellent rebounding skills. Prediction-KT get traded and Sweets starts by end of next year.

As a Japanese scholar once said at a history conference discussing the effect of the American Revolution-"It's too soon to tell"

[Edited by - TheSage on 04/01/2004 08:13:05]
Is Sweetney overhyped?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy