[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks need a Center? What is Nazr...chop liver?
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/30/2004  2:56 PM
Nazr has been averaging 11pts and 9 rebounds in 28 minutes for March. His averages go down because he had 3 bad games because of injury, or something like that. Otherwise his numbers would be like 14 and 11.....
The guy has earned his spot on the Knicks just like TT, Sweetney and Baker.

So why do we need a center?

11pts and 9 rebs in 28 minutes? Magloire has been getting 12 and 10 in 33 minutes and was an all-star. With 5 more minutes or if he didn't have the 3 bad games in March his march numbers would be alot better....like I said above.

[Edited by - enyspree on 03/30/2004 15:04:40]

[Edited by - enyspree on 03/30/2004 15:10:07]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
SuperNYK992
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #595
USA
3/30/2004  3:14 PM
nice point. Dont kno what to say
Knicks forever!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/30/2004  3:15 PM
Nazr is ok. He does great against bad centers or non centers (like Bosh). I said in another post.. he's a good athlete, he's a good rebounder, he's NOT a good defender, especially 1 on 1. He's somewhat foul prone, he's got nice moves around the basket, not much range, terrible footwork, a pair of stonehands and a great attitude. I think if you had Elton Brand or a bigtime PF your happy with Nazr, but our post game isnt good. All our points in the paint come from Marbury breaking down the D and our bigs getting the ball then their defender is out of position.

Last night Vin Baker showed for the last 3-4 minutes of the game just how valuable a true post player is. As great as Marbury is when you spead the floor and let him take his man... a post player you can just throw it down do that can back his way down and beat his man is equally valuable. The last guy we had with a real post game (besides Vin) was LJ. Before that obviously Ewing.

Nazr isnt that type of player.. he's ok, but he's a 27 year old project. No, he's not chop meat but he's also not what we need. I'm happy with him but thats the biggest area for upgrade for us, aside from 2 guard which is tough because of Houston and his contract. You stuck getting what you can from him for a could years.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jazz74
Member: #371
3/30/2004  3:18 PM
i like naz also. but he is an undersized center. i think people think, which is true, that a "traditional" center is what we need. naz is built more like a power forward than a center. he has a hard time forcing other centers out of the block and can't defend them well. he can get away with it in the east but if we are serious in a year or two with competing for a championship we need a real center. frontcourt size makes the difference.
fishmike
USA
3/30/2004  3:25 PM
the only bigtime center thats ever been Nazr's size is Zo, and Zo is obviously the exception at 6'10. Plus he really bulked up out of college and become and tremendously strong man.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/30/2004  4:12 PM
naz is a better othella, solid role player at power forward and center. He won't take us to the promised land.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/30/2004  4:21 PM
I think Nazr is a perfect guy to come of the bench and play behind both your PF and C assuming one of them has postgame. He reminds me of Antonio Davis in his Indiana days. Dale and Smith would start at the PF and C and Antonio would come in for both, unless they watned to go with 3pt shooting from Perkins. Besides he is young and footwork as well as a 10 foot jumper can be tought. Just look at PJ Brown. He can shoot the J this days, he never could with the Heat. Mohammed is the kind of big you want in your rotation. Just get a lowpost guy or develop your own (Sweetney, Baker) and get a bigger starting center with a trade/draft.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/30/2004  5:12 PM
Nazr is an outstanding rebounder and garbage points scorer. He gets a healthy amount of tip ins and easy dunks, but can't score with any consistency outside of 4 feet, and stinks at the line. He's good at what he does, but is very limited. What hurts more is that he's a non-entity as far as shotblocking is concerened. He rarely challenges shots. And he hasn't shown that much as a one on one defender. Still he's a very effective player when given 25-30 minutes.

I agree with the notion that he can work well with Baker out there. Baker can play low post PF and help with the shotblocking, while Nazr focuses on boards and easy baskets. Gives us intimidating height and rebounding presence, and can cause matchup problems for opponents.

Sweetney and Nazr kind of do similar things at this point. But Sweetney is a better offensive rebounder, and will soon be a post up threat.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
3/30/2004  5:37 PM
You guys are crazy. The dude is giving us like 10 and 10, he's young, he's big and burly-- we should be happy to have him.

He is what he is, a starting center in the big-man-depraved East. Cookie Monster couldn't get us 10 and 10, neither could Othella.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
SuperNYK992
Member: #595
USA
3/30/2004  6:19 PM
Posted by TRU:

You guys are crazy. The dude is giving us like 10 and 10, he's young, he's big and burly-- we should be happy to have him.

He is what he is, a starting center in the big-man-depraved East. Cookie Monster couldn't get us 10 and 10, neither could Othella.

good point
Knicks forever!
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
3/31/2004  4:14 AM
Posted by TRU:

cookie monster should be ripping tickets at the msg entrance
Yes! - Marv Albert
fishmike
USA
3/31/2004  10:42 AM
I am happy to have him. I liked that trade a lot. I thought Nazr was a good pickup and like TT more than KVH for a variety of reasons.

There is a reason Nazr has been a backup on the Hawks, a very bad team. He's got some huge holes in his game. We still dont have a good front court. Sweetney shows great promise, Kurt is Kurt. Vin has had some nice moments, as has Deke (who turns 50 this week). We have a lot of guys but none that are very good or consistant. Lenny has just gone with whoever is playing best that game.
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
3/31/2004  11:09 AM
I think with the lack of depth at the 5 spot NBA wide... Knicks are doing the only logical, reasonable, and advantageous thing they can do... stack up on talent with players who bring different things to the game. Fishmike hit the nail on the head... there are very few big complete players out there that can be had for a Mid level exception or who a team is willing to trade.
Sweetney is great at the 4 and will only get better.

I'd love to work out a deal with the Bobcats to take Penny which would give us a HUGE exception and make us major players in free agency this year. If we were to work this out.. we could eaily get Sheed and probably one more very talented player.

I think we should do all we can to make it as difficult as possible for the Pistons to squeeze a signing of both Okur and Wallace. Whoever they don't focus on.. we should do whatever possible to pry hium away from that team. Even if he ends up going to a different team... We cannot let Detroit keep the big 3 they have now for next season.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/31/2004  12:00 PM
I like Nazr but more than anything I love the trades that lead up to Nazr and the position it leaves the Knicks in.

Spree -> KVH
KVH, Doleac -> TT, Nazr

Seriously, Laydog did us a solid by getting this ball rolling and Isiah capped it off by moving the Knicks in the right direction personnel-wise and building block-wise.

I still don't know what everyone liked about Spree. Frankly, he came with energy and excitement but his best days were behind him. His numbers are still in decline and he was always out of position (not his fault). Too bad he can't play SG on the Wolves.

With TT the Knicks will always have a mismatch at SF AND a guy who can spread the floor and he is 5 years younger than Spree. Nazr is a very tradable asset or a very cheap filler in the middle with potential. I consider the loss of Doleac a toss up because he was in the last year of his contract, and with the likes of Baker and DerMarr the possibility of re-signing him as minimal (or about the same as being able to re-sign him again after the season). Doleac also duplicated Kurt and his game.

When all things are said and done, in my mind, the trade went like this:

Spree -> TT, Nazr

You can't beat that.

As far as the Knicks' starting C position goes, Nazr is a solid player for the Knicks and an even better trade piece. He will get better this summer, and that I like that prospect.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TRU
USA
3/31/2004  12:09 PM
Posted by nyvector16:

You guys are way ahead of yourself with the "Sweetney is Great" talk. Sweetney ain't even good. He's pretty good for a rookie at this point. He hasn't even proven himself beyond 20 mpg. The enthusiasm towards him is justified. But you don't want him anywhere near the ball late in the shot clock in the playoffs.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
martin
USA
3/31/2004  12:11 PM
Posted by TRU:
Posted by nyvector16:

You guys are way ahead of yourself with the "Sweetney is Great" talk. Sweetney ain't even good. He's pretty good for a rookie at this point. He hasn't even proven himself beyond 20 mpg. The enthusiasm towards him is justified. But you don't want him anywhere near the ball late in the shot clock in the playoffs.

Agreed.

And you don't want him anywhere near the ball late in the shot clock during the run towards the playoffs either. But you do want him in rebounding position late in the shot clock any time on the court.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/31/2004  12:23 PM
A rebounder of his ability is invaluable. Just look at Ben Wallace. He is a multiple allstar now, and all he does is rebound and blcok shots. He scores less than 10 pts a game. You don't want Wallae anywhere near the ball anytime in the game. But you sure do want him on your team don't you.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
TRU
USA
3/31/2004  12:30 PM
Posted by simrud:

A rebounder of his ability is invaluable. Just look at Ben Wallace. He is a multiple allstar now, and all he does is rebound and blcok shots. He scores less than 10 pts a game. You don't want Wallae anywhere near the ball anytime in the game. But you sure do want him on your team don't you.

Oh here we go.

Now Mike Sweetney is Ben Wallace? I thought this forum was a Drug Free Zone...

I know Mike is showing a lot of promise, but Ben Wallace? Do I even need to take the time to explain why that comparison is premature (read: rediculous)?
martin
USA
3/31/2004  12:34 PM
Posted by TRU:
Posted by simrud:

Oh here we go.

Now Mike Sweetney is Ben Wallace? I thought this forum was a Drug Free Zone...

I know Mike is showing a lot of promise, but Ben Wallace? Do I even need to take the time to explain why that comparison is premature (read: rediculous)?

TRU, you know better than that. simrud was just using Ben as an example of the importance of a good rebounder not as a direct comparison to the skills of Sweetney.
fishmike
USA
3/31/2004  12:41 PM
A more realistic possibility is leavin Tim Thomas open. Time only has two years, and is a nice scoring piece to add to a new team. I like him a lot and would love to have him stay but that might actually be enough to get someone like Kobe or QRichardson. I DONT want that money used to get Sheed.. he's just too old and mental. If we could get him in a sign and trade for Nazr and Moochie, a #2 and $3 mill I would consider that, but otherwise I would just rather keep TT.
Knicks need a Center? What is Nazr...chop liver?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy