[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Demarr Johnson
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/30/2004  11:58 AM
i think we really need to work with demarr johnson hard. while he is still raw and rather timid at times, the main reason i wanted to get him at the beginning of the season remains true right now---anyone can see his potential as a 6-9 2G not only as an offensive player but possibly as a big time defensive player. remeber back to the summer time, i said to bring in both marquis daniels and demarr johnson as FAs because we were so weak and thin at the 2-3 laydumb went with matt carroll and then let him go to keep vranes.

im all for full effort and dedication to johnson. i said the other day that demarr has to show something here with his time or to me, atleast he would be just another option this ofseason. well, hes proven to me we should go ahead and sign him for a cheap 2-3 years and really put high emphasis on his continued progress.
demarr to me , now is a high priority going ahead.

KT trades value is dropping like a rock/ this is something i was afraid of/ even if we eventually lost KT for nothing, and i know he is hurt et al, it wouldnt have bothered me. I hope we can somehow get that C from BYU,so i hope some of these guys like nazr and KT really step up here down the stretch. Playoffs are a lock after last night unless marbury is injured.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/30/2004  1:04 PM
good to see your positive thinking
I know you love the Knicks as much as the next guy.. its been the first time in 3 years we have had meaningfull basketball. I hope your enjoying it as much as we are. Knicks need a lot of work but the Demaar/Frank/Sweetney pipeline is not bad.

Still think TT has a low hoops IQ?

Buy the way.. as for getting another #1 what do you think of Nazr and Shandon for Raef and Bos's #1 (should be #10-#15 range). Remember, Bos has 3 #1s (their, Det's and Dal's from the Walker trade).
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/30/2004  1:17 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Buy the way.. as for getting another #1 what do you think of Nazr and Shandon for Raef and Bos's #1 (should be #10-#15 range). Remember, Bos has 3 #1s (their, Det's and Dal's from the Walker trade).

interesting. Is Raef just an outside shooter or can he rebound too? If he can, I would do it but only if the Knicks resign Baker.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
USA
3/30/2004  1:29 PM
Raef is an average rebounder.. below average for his size actually. Hes a good offensive player. Not a pure post player but scores some inside. Great outside shooter. Not a good defender, BUT one of the leagues best shot blockers. I think he's actually a good fit with certain line ups. You only conisider this one if you get Bos's #1 though. Then its Raef and Warrik for Shandon and Nazr.
martin
USA
3/30/2004  2:23 PM
I do know that the draft occurs right after the playoffs end, and that's just bad timing for the Knicks, especially when you consider both the DerMarr and Baker situation. If both decide to bolt the Knicks, that's 2 cog players - and I would consider both to be cog bench players - you lose. And if you trade a guy like Nazr without signing someone like Baker, you lose too much. Same with the DerMarr and Anderson situation (although I am stretching it a bit here); Houston and Penny are just too old and hurt to rely on them 100% and Frank/Moochie can only go so far with Marb at the 2.

In a game like last night against the Pistons Nazr was getting rebounds. He is no Ben Wallace, but he is long and can get the in-traffic rebounds. Baker for more than 20 minutes? Don't know about that. Deke is too old and should/will be traded. Raef? Don't know.

If the trade is for Raef and a big body – either a lesser Curry or Chandler – I say go for it.

Warrik? Why? You have TT for years. And DerMarr, who may be a body double and a much better shooter. And cheaper.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/30/2004  2:30 PM
You guys are killing me with the Raef LaFrentz stuff. Let Danny Ainge live with that move. Raef when healthy is a better than average shot blocker and decent 3pt shooter. That's all good.

I still like my man Nazr. Did you see him make that steal then statue of liberty dunk it with a man chasing him down? That was awesome that our center could move like that. Plus He displays a nack for tipping the ball. He gets off the floor fast.

Sweetney displayed 2 good moves that he didn't convert but they were big flashes of what we could get out of him.

Back to the thread title....Demarr made two moves that impressed me. He grabbed a rebound then took off coast to coast and two hand slammed on Dale or Theo i forgot which one. Then there was the little post up he had where he faked a spin then reversed spinned and put it off the glass getting fouled but there was no call. He did it and backpedalled like he always does that.

Great signs here with our young guys.

Baker's last two shots were throw backs to his Bucks days.

KT definately did not earn his 30 plus minutes.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
USA
3/30/2004  2:36 PM
its about the pipeline.. I like Warrik in 2 years when Penny goes away. He's a guy that could defend 2 positions in the NBA. I like the idea of having versatile athletic guys around skill players like Marbury.

I also want to stockpile young talent... Memphis plays 10 with great success, but whats even better is their flexibility this offseason. They have a great mix of young players they could offer for a star.

I am much higher on a TT/Marbury/Sweetney combo for the next 5-7 years than most. We obviosly need a center, but my goal is to replace Shandon, Penny, Othella, Deke, KT.. with young guys like Frank, Demaar ect. When you have the opportunity to pick up a good vet cheap like we Baker go for it. I love that signing
fishmike
USA
3/30/2004  2:39 PM
"You guys are killing me with the Raef LaFrentz stuff. Let Danny Ainge live with that move. Raef when healthy is a better than average shot blocker and decent 3pt shooter. That's all good."

Hey.. the Raef talk was just about getting another pick. I like Nazr too but he's very good against bad centers. He's a good athlete, he's very active, a strong rebounder and he has some nice moves around the basket. He's also got a pair of stone hands and some of the worst footwork I have ever seen. He's a 27 year old project. He's a good pickup, but is he our starting center for the next 5-8 years?
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/30/2004  2:49 PM
Raef certainly isnt our starting 5 for the next 5-8 years and while I love Warrik I dont see why we would need him? I bet he will be pretty good in the NBA though. Where does he fit on this team with TT? Although TT has a durability problem in case nobody has noticed.

H20 is on the decline, KT is on the decline, we have no real 5 outside of Nazr - Deke is done/or traded.

The Knicks still have tons of issues to deal with before they can contend. Dumping Shandon to get Raef and Warrik doesnt solve them though does it?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
fishmike
USA
3/30/2004  3:23 PM
The Knicks still have tons of issues to deal with before they can contend. Dumping Shandon to get Raef and Warrik doesnt solve them though does it?
We really need a long wing player that can rebound and defend. Warrick does that and gives you great upside. I see Warrick as a nice 2/3/4 combo player thats awesome on the boards and disruptive on defense. Raef (if healthy) is a good athlete and gives you another shooter to stretch the defense.

If you have a guy that can defend 2's and 3's like Warrick, you can play Tim Thomas at the 2 where he will KILL other 2's, but you will have Warrick to defend those 2's on the other side of the ball.. those sort of options.

Also, its a "future" move as Warrik is the 9th or 10th guy off the bench depending on Penny/Dermaar.

The other guy beside Warrick (my first choice) is Araujo who would become the backup center... more of a banger type.
SuperNYK992
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #595
USA
3/30/2004  3:28 PM
Watch:
Vrs Portland:
11 mins, 2-3 Ffrom the floor for 6 pts, 1 reb
Knicks forever!
martin
USA
3/30/2004  3:29 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

years and while I love Warrik I dont see why we would need him? I bet he will be pretty good in the NBA though. Where does he fit on this team with TT? Although TT has a durability problem in case nobody has noticed.

just to be sure, does TT really have a durability problem or has he just been a little banged up? Houston has a durablility problem, but not TT.
fishmike
USA
3/30/2004  3:38 PM
TT's never had any major injuries... he's hasnt missed much time over the last 3-4 years.

In fairness to Houston he's missed like 10 games in 7 years with the Knicks. Obviously the knee and the trouble he's had with it raises red flags... but before this he's been as durable as anyone.
martin
USA
3/30/2004  3:40 PM
Posted by fishmike:
We really need a long wing player that can rebound and defend. Warrick does that and gives you great upside. I see Warrick as a nice 2/3/4 combo player thats awesome on the boards and disruptive on defense. Raef (if healthy) is a good athlete and gives you another shooter to stretch the defense.

If you have a guy that can defend 2's and 3's like Warrick, you can play Tim Thomas at the 2 where he will KILL other 2's, but you will have Warrick to defend those 2's on the other side of the ball.. those sort of options.

Also, its a "future" move as Warrik is the 9th or 10th guy off the bench depending on Penny/Dermaar.

I love Warrik (being an up-Stater, you have to be a big 'Cuse fan) but I have always been weary of those long athletic types who don't have a jumpshot. I would include Warrik in that group as well as someone like DMiles. I don't know if it's mechanics or what but they never seem to be able to develop that skill. And with a break-down PG like Marbury you need an shooter at the SG spot, that's why Anderson (amongst LOTS of other reasons) didn't play last night.

DerMarr is a skinny SG/SF who can get the outsite shot. And he rebounds and has an OK handle and does go to the rim hard. His D does need to make strides, but from what I can see that part of his game is improvable.

So I guess my point is the Knicks already have a Warrik on their team. I still would probably do the deal if I knew there was another natural PF/C who was defensive minded and who had better footwork than Nazr.
martin
USA
3/30/2004  3:41 PM
Was DerMarr a SF or SG when he was on Atlanta?

And what was his D like?

fishmike
USA
3/30/2004  3:45 PM
Posted by martin:

And what was his D like?

Honestly I dont remember... he has done an ok job on D when his man has the ball, but as we have seen he's been terrible guarding his guy away from the ball (the most important part of playing D) as his guy is always throwing down the back door dunks.
SuperNYK992
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #595
USA
3/30/2004  4:00 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by martin:

And what was his D like?

Honestly I dont remember... he has done an ok job on D when his man has the ball, but as we have seen he's been terrible guarding his guy away from the ball (the most important part of playing D) as his guy is always throwing down the back door dunks.
SG
Knicks forever!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/30/2004  6:43 PM
Nazr only is a C if you have a KG Duncan Brand type of 20-10 and block shot player at the PF. Plain ans simple Nazr cannot guard other big men in the post nor does he intimidate in the lane. His offense is raw as well. He is a bargain at his price and certainly a a guy who can help teams big time. I bet Toronto wishes they could start Nazr at C--thats a place where he would also thrive because they have length and the big PF in Bosh.

Is Nazr the guy that will propell the knicks to the next level? NO unless we get a 20-10-3 PF and we are not getting 1. nazr=trade bait
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/30/2004  8:24 PM
enyspree I do agree, let boston live with the raef mess, I think we can get a first rounder by exploring other options, but as far as our trio of Sweets, marbs and TT I am with fishmike on that one, I am very happy with them, then add in Dermarr and naz and that is a nice group of young players, frankie's status is still up in the air but he also is a player. I like Dermarr because has that rare height for a SG/SF combo, can run the floor, dribble and explode, I remember those two plays that enyspree mentioned but I was really impressed with the spin move because it showed that he can finish around the hoop around good shotblockers, something we didn't have much of before.. this offseason should be interesting...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/31/2004  9:11 AM
I hope penny can teach Demarr the ropes, and how not to hang yourself, and take better care of the body.

Demarr had to grow up alot. That will help him with conditioning and appreciation of opportunity. SOme of these guys just skip by when they have the money. I am rooting for him to light it up and then DERSERVE a nice contract!

I had a similar injury over 20 years ago, I could still play, but boy am I paying for things now.

Demarr Johnson

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy