[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

CHRISTMAS DAY: New York Knicks @ Los Angeles Lakers. 3:00 P.M (ABC).
Author Thread
KnicksMetsJets
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4448

12/25/2012  6:25 PM
TeamBall wrote:I think Woodson gets some of the blame here. Although we have won some of them, the past few games have shown us making the same mistakes and playing no defense. It also seems like Felton hasnt had anything said to him about his selfish play and that Woody thinks throwing Kidd out there with him will magically cure all. My biggest problem is his near zero use of Novak.
Very good point
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/25/2012  6:28 PM
Knicks have fallen off defensively and can't really brag much about being a great defensive team anymore. The Lakers are #17 in the league in D and the Knicks are #16. It's not like the Lakers can't defend at all. Yeah they were kind of lost for a while but they've been getting it together and have a better handle on MDA's schemes now than they did. Lakers have been improving and the Knicks have been slumping on D of late. We need Sheed back and Camby to get into form. We really miss Brewer's early season energy. He's been slumping.

Knicks will need STAT and Shump to help make the offense a little less predictable. It may take them both a few games to get it going but we will need them the rest of the way. Shump and STAT can actually both help us on D. I know people hate on STAT, but we need him at times against certain teams like the Lakers. CLEARLY we need Shump's defense!

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
12/25/2012  6:30 PM
We are slacking. Our defense hasn't been solid for a whole game or most of a game for more than a month. Felton repeats his mistakes from game to game and hasn't looked like a playmaker in a while. Chandler has been pretty inconsistent defensively. Novak has vanished in thin air. We are terrible rebounding.

Woodson needs to call all this to the attention of the guys, if he hasn't already. This has to change.

Knicks_Fan
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/25/2012  6:40 PM
NUPE wrote:
tkf wrote:
nycisgreat wrote:Felton poor play and bad officiating cost us this one.

it was bad for both teams, knicks 9-26 from three and 9-16 from the line cost us this game...

This. I would not point the finger at Woody or any single player. Knicks had plenty of chances and opportunities to win despite dumb officiating and Felton throwing up bricks.

i just don't understand the need to scapegoat right now... had the knicks taken a few less threes and hit a few more FT's we win despite some poor performances, and lets keep it real, JR smith is not going to give us 25 every night, so he made up for some of the slack as well... we missed 7 ft's and missed a lot of threes...LA made some plays down the stretch.. it was a combination of them making plays and us missing opportunities....

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
12/25/2012  6:42 PM
dk7th wrote:should be an interesting, litmus test sort of game. here's what i will be watching for with our squad:

1)handling mismatches and cross matching among artest, gasol, and melo
2)defensive intensity
3)maintaining poise and playing under control, drawing fouls
4)moving the ball to find the player with the best look
5)do we outrebound or get outrebounded
6)does felton take fewer than 13 shots and does melo take fewer than 18 shots

if the knicks get blown out they have some soul-searching to do.
if they win, even if not convincingly, it will be a huge lift and momentum provider.

difficult game to learn anything from. the knicks did not get blown out, did not win convincingly, and managed to lose by just enough to scratch your head.

that said,

2)their defensive intensity was not where it needs to be to win a game on the road
3)they did not play with poise and did not get to the line enough. melo needed to get to the line another 3 or 4 times-- he can do that by incorporating more head and ball fakes, which he did not really utilize today. felton: 0 FTA
4)20 assists is misleading-- the offense looked disjointed for most of the game and i attribute this to too many shots taken by 3 players in a seven to eight man rotation. they took 73% of the shot attempts. can't have that. that's on the coach too.
5)we got outrebounded but that is essentially a wash.
6)see point (4). we can argue this point ad infinitum because it can reduce itself to a chicken or egg argument. there is no justification for your ostensible point guard to chuck up 19 shots. 26TS% OMG. meanwhile what do you do with anthony? great TS% but only 3 assists and those assists erased by 3 turnovers. if he could cut back on 5-6 bad shots and keep the ball moving instead, trying to involve others-- wouldn't that be better? i am not even talking playmaking or another 3 assists a game-- just try to work the ball more.
6a)it is clear that melo does much better shooting off screens, staggered screens, in motion and where he receives a pass in rhythm. he shoots better moving to his left. his little dribbling routine where he launches after 5-6 low dribbles is where he errs. his bad shots are when he rushes, and he will helo his team when he relaxes and takes his time. the less thinking he does the better because frankly he is just not that smart. but when he is on he can be impressive.

1)the mismatch issue worked in our favor early when d'antoni put that kid on melo. obviously you put artest on melo. and then the endgame with melo on gasol was a big deal.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
nixluva
USA
12/25/2012  6:45 PM
Teams have been changing the way they defend our PnR. The center drops way off and takes away the alleyoop to Chandler and leave only the jumper for Felton. He's got to make that shot or swing the ball. But it effectively takes away Tyson's offense and Felton's drive if they just concede the jumper but take away the drive or roll man.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/25/2012  6:45 PM
KnicksMetsJets wrote:
TeamBall wrote: My biggest problem is his near zero use of Novak.
Very good point

Do you watch Novak on the court ?

I watch him just to see why he isn't doing anything. He's making it too easy for the defense. He stands around or runs in place, he isn't trying that hard to separate himself from defender he's a marked man now.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
TeamBall
Member: #4386

12/25/2012  6:52 PM
playa2 wrote:
KnicksMetsJets wrote:
Very good point

I watch him just to see why he isn't doing anything. He's making it too easy for the defense. He stands around or runs in place, he isn't trying that hard to separate himself from defender he's a marked man now.

All the more reason to run some off ball screens or have some out of bounds plays for him to get a shot off
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
nixluva
USA
12/25/2012  7:04 PM
TeamBall wrote:
playa2 wrote:
KnicksMetsJets wrote:
Very good point

All the more reason to run some off ball screens or have some out of bounds plays for him to get a shot off

Been saying this since last year!!! Woody just doesn't use enough screens for Novak. He should be moving and getting screens FAR more often than we do. If you have a shooter that is as serious as Novak then you want him hot and you want to get him open looks and not just as the last resort.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/25/2012  7:49 PM
Lakers are turning the corner. Nash was brilliant in stretches today.

If Pau hits those midrange free looks he gets they win by a wider margin easier.

Lakers have been a disaster.

cold knicks been playing above their heads?

Tune in and find out.........

MSG3
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #2476
USA
12/25/2012  7:54 PM
Nalod wrote:Lakers are turning the corner. Nash was brilliant in stretches today.

If Pau hits those midrange free looks he gets they win by a wider margin easier.

Lakers are definitely turning it around. I think the margin of victory was about right. Pau missed some shots but MWP more than made up for it with his shooting.

Knicks playing over their heads? I don't think so. This was a close game. Knicks win this with Stat and Shumpert.

playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/25/2012  8:43 PM
Nalod wrote:Lakers are turning the corner. Nash was brilliant in stretches today.

What game were you watching, ? Lakers weak link we didn't exploit, that's what's gonna do Fakers in defensively....NASH

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
loweyecue
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #1037

12/25/2012  8:44 PM
MSG3 wrote:

Lakers are definitely turning it around. I think the margin of victory was about right. Pau missed some shots but MWP more than made up for it with his shooting.

Knicks playing over their heads? I don't think so. This was a close game. Knicks win this with Stat and Shumpert.

Amare and Shumpert dont play PG. And Amare most definitely don't play defense either.

TKF on Melo ::....he is a punk, a jerk, a self absorbed out of shape, self aggrandizing, unprofessional, volume chucking coach killing playoff loser!!
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
12/25/2012  9:02 PM
loweyecue wrote:
MSG3 wrote:

Amare and Shumpert dont play PG. And Amare most definitely don't play defense either.

Shump actually has played PG, but his importance resides on reclaiming that starting SG spot that would make Felton either remain a starter but play less minutes with Kidd being his official backup or simply going to the bench with Kidd a starter. Probably will be the first option, with Kidd manning the team in the fourth quarter.

Knicks_Fan
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
12/25/2012  9:04 PM
playa2 wrote:

What game were you watching, ? Lakers weak link we didn't exploit, that's what's gonna do Fakers in defensively....NASH

you may be right since felton is so awful at scoring at will on even below average defenders. trouble with your analysis is that while nash remains a positive-sum player regardless of how he plays defense, felton is a straight up negative-sum player no two ways about it.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

12/25/2012  9:07 PM
loweyecue wrote:
MSG3 wrote:

No but they help the pg not force shots and relive the pg from handling the ball so much. Right now bigs are staying home in the paint most of the time now to take the lob away. Felton is driving to force the big to come over but since Chandler can not cath anything below his shoulders(semi-exaggeration) the floater is the next best option or FT jumper.

Amar'e changes the option on the PnR because

A) he slips most picks creating a different passing lane since he can catch below his shoulders.

B) He can pick and pop.

C) If the screen is switch he can actually post up guards unlike the 7-1 center who can't tale advantage of being guarded by Steve flippin Nash

Iman Shumpert can handle the ball some and although he was bad last year as a PnR ball handler hopefully hanging around the vets has helped him. He still can isolate and hit open jumpers. He got better every month with his shooting so that was a very good sign.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/25/2012  9:39 PM
Because of family stuff I missed some of the second half and the Knicks went from being in the lead to being behind. I was surprised to see Kidd make two bad decisions down the stretch, passing up the wide open three and his inbounds to a well guarded Melo. Great to see Camby on the floor. If the Knicks could have some combo of Camby, Sheed and Thomas available it would be great.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Swishfm3
Member: #392
12/25/2012  10:08 PM
tkf wrote:
NUPE wrote:
tkf wrote:
nycisgreat wrote:Felton poor play and bad officiating cost us this one.

it was bad for both teams, knicks 9-26 from three and 9-16 from the line cost us this game...

This. I would not point the finger at Woody or any single player. Knicks had plenty of chances and opportunities to win despite dumb officiating and Felton throwing up bricks.

i just don't understand the need to scapegoat right now... had the knicks taken a few less threes and hit a few more FT's we win despite some poor performances, and lets keep it real, JR smith is not going to give us 25 every night, so he made up for some of the slack as well... we missed 7 ft's and missed a lot of threes...LA made some plays down the stretch.. it was a combination of them making plays and us missing opportunities....

Yup

Also..I can't help but wonder if M.World Peace would go for 16 in the 3rd with a much stronger STAT guarding him.

The Knicks could have won but at the end it was a very good, competitative and entertaining game. At the end, personally, that's all I ask for.

Was pleased with Camby and Can't wait for STAT to return

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/25/2012  10:08 PM
smackeddog wrote:The problem isn't so much this loss, it's the fact were tired and banged up for tomorrows game. Suns are pretty bad, but they have a distinct advantage.

Oh we'll, at least the way we've been playing lately should put a stop to the 'Amar'e will destroy what we have' stories, we haven't looked good for a while now.

Correct. The Knicks are looking more like the team I expected to see once Amare went down after the 1st preseason game

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/25/2012  10:10 PM
KnicksMetsJets wrote:
Clean wrote:Didnt this same thing play out with Felton the last time he was with us? Start the year playing great then hurt his hand and brick shots the rest of the time.
this is why we got him cheap and why no other team wanted him

Whats up Irish. Liking the new handle. Merry Christmas bro

CHRISTMAS DAY: New York Knicks @ Los Angeles Lakers. 3:00 P.M (ABC).

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy