[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

POR v NY Thread 3/29
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/30/2004  9:52 AM
IMO Fishmike is right on. With that said I hope Frank is alright.
AUTOADVERT
nyvector16
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #130
USA
3/30/2004  11:34 AM
I saw Vin Baker and one of the Blazers having dinner after the game.
I was dropping off my gf at home at Lincoln Center.
Eaves dropped on Baker's conversation with what lokedlike his body guard or friend. He seemed so focused on tommorrow's practice. Very professional. I think we should offer him the veteran's minimum for the next two years... Getting him from the celtics was a steal.

I think we need to offer both him and Demarr contracts for next year now. When we make it to the playoffs both those guys are gonna be vital to our success I think. And if they show all they can be.. they could be had by some other jerk team with cap space.

We should lock these guys in for the next season or two!

Knicks RULE!!!!!!!!
Van Horn Drools!!!!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/30/2004  11:50 AM
yep,

add Sweets to that playoffs vital list!
RonRon
Member: #246
3/30/2004  12:35 PM
You mean to tell me a grown man (he isn't a child - people have to stop treating teenagers and grown men like children) who makes millions can take a month off when his co-workers are unable to perform?

everyone has different experiences, problems, and relationships with their mother, we dont know him, we dont know his problems, we dont know his relationship wit his mother.... dont judge him based upon ur own experiences.

and about that comment, what does how much money u make have to do with moving on or not? Your telling me u can greave more if ur a bum vs a professional B-ball player?

You talk with such "been there, done that" kind of tone, Frank his human, when he is ready im sure he will return. Just because u value your job and money higher than your fathers death doesnt mean frank has to, even if he makes millions more.
DefAndReb
Member: #336
3/30/2004  12:36 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Def... your sounding like an idiot. Say we are all held to the same standards isnt a smart comment. These guys are managed differently than Bob from accounting and Joe from advertising. Sorry, thats a fact of life.

Also *speculating* that Frank isnt playing again because he doesnt want to or cant and attacking his character is pretty sad.

Did it occur to anyone that between missing time for a pulled groin then a death in the family it just didnt make sense to try an integrate Frank back into the rotation with 15 games left and the Knicks one or two losses away from missing the playoffs? Moochie isnt good and Frank has more talent but Moochie isnt terrible either. You can see he contributes when he gets enough time to develop a little rythm.

Sorry if I come off like an ass but attacking a guys character based on ones speculation just irritates me.

As I said in my original post on this, "if what you say is true, martin" meaning if Frank isn't playing because he is too sad to play. If there is another reason, like his injury or Wilkens doesn't need him or doesn't feel he's ready to play or anything else, then I'm not criticizing him. IF is a little word with a lot of power.

I will always fight against people getting special treatment because some tragedy befalls them. And, yeah, we should ALL be held to a common standard. I am acutely aware that we are not, but I will continue to fight for fair treatment of people based on their performance, not their social standing or personal problems.

If, and again I emphasize IF, Frank is not playing because of his mother's death, which was on March 2, then I say he should be waived. If it's because of something else, then I hope he gets back on the court soon. Can you wrap your mind around that concept? As Ayn Rand said, "Judge and prepare to be judged". I'll attack anyone's character who I think deserves it. Maybe Frank deserves it, maybe not, I'd like to find out. I'm extremely curious as to why the guy is not playing, when it seems obvious that the team needs as many guys to suit up as possible.

Too bad it irritates you. Cry me a river, pal.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/30/2004  1:01 PM
here's a newsflash: everyone isnt held to the same standard. Here's another one: life isnt fair.

Taking shots at a guy based on something you know very little about just makes you look bitter about your own life experiences. You may not think your bitter, you when you worry about what level of accountability other people are held to you are. If you didnt somehow feel slighted by your own experience it wouldnt bother you.

"I will always fight against people getting special treatment because some tragedy befalls them. "

Good crusade. I'm sorry about whatever happened to you.

"Can you wrap your mind around that concept?"

Yea... judge and be judged. Good one. Sorry, to me you just come off as thinking other should suffer because you have. Thats being bitter. If you really want to talk about this start a thread in the off topic. I will be happy to induldge you.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/30/2004  1:41 PM
Maybe it’s just me, but in a perfect world you should be given as much time as needed to deal with a personal tragedy. So yeah, we should hold everybody to the same standard, but how about make it a better rather than worse standard?

Holding everybody to a low standard is the Communist way man. They just made everybody poor rather then make everybody reach. Trust me I'm from a former Soviet republic, your rhetoric leads to nothing good. We should be striving to make it better for everyone rather then bringing down those who have risen through their talents, luck, or hard work to a higher level down to the common level so that everybody is the same.

Of course that is not realistic today, but in the future, it just may be. It is easy to just burn down the better house and built a shag in its place to make it just like yours. It is much harder to build your shag into the house you desire. It might even not be realistic. But maybe your children will be able to or your grandchildren. But you can't just give up and choose to bring everything down tot he lowest common denominator. 70 years of that sh**it made what once was one of the richest countries in the world (Russia) a joke of a nation.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
fishmike
USA
3/30/2004  1:49 PM
go with what he said... I came off too harshly, there is something to be said for being subtle.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
3/30/2004  2:03 PM
Posted by fishmike:

go with what he said... I came off too harshly, there is something to be said for being subtle.

Nah, fish. For a $2 psychoanalysis of someone you don't know, I think you did a stellar job.

As for D&R's "communist" rhetoric, I think he's just the opposite-- his opinions are way towards the ultra-conservative right. "Fighting the battle against those who get special treatment" sounds alot more like Rush Limbaugh than Karl Marx.

Either way, it's patently un-American. But he's entitled to voice his opinion.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
simrud
USA
3/30/2004  2:27 PM
Real life implementations of communism have very little to do with Marx, his take on it was a utopian fantasy. What actually ends up happening is an ultra right/left regime taking over. There is really very little difference between the extreme right and left when it comes down to their actual influence on the world. The gap between Communism and Fascism is but an inch. The basic idea is still to make everyone worse of in order to somehow standardize them into interchangeable units with no will of their own.
TRU
USA
3/30/2004  2:36 PM
Posted by simrud:

Real life implementations of communism have very little to do with Marx, his take on it was a utopian fantasy. What actually ends up happening is an ultra right/left regime taking over. There is really very little difference between the extreme right and left when it comes down to their actual influence on the world. The gap between Communism and Fascism is but an inch. The basic idea is still to make everyone worse of in order to somehow standardize them into interchangeable units with no will of their own.

Wow. Lighten up, go have a slice of apple pie, or some Smirnoff Vodka or something.

Weren't we talking about the Knicks?

[Edited by - TRU on 03/30/2004 14:36:49]
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
fishmike
USA
3/30/2004  2:47 PM
my best friend growing up moved here from Hungary when he was younger, but communism was a real part of his life, especially for his parents. Its serious stuff.. obviously its the extreme example of that kind of thinking but it all starts somewhere.

On a side note that game last night was simply beautifull... how sweet to be playing meaningfull basketball again.
nyvector16
USA
3/30/2004  2:51 PM
My biggest concern besides making the playoffs... is resigning Baker and Demarr! We need to resign these guys BEFORE the playoffs. Their stock will sky rocket once we get into a 7 game series and they show what they got. If nothing else... at least it gives us more pieces to deal with... It would be a HUGEEEEE blunder to let these guys walk.. or resign in the summer... cause with a playoff run.. these guys .. especially Demarr.. will go where he will be payed a couple of Mil a year on a 3 or 4 year contract.
simrud
USA
3/30/2004  4:10 PM
I just got carried away with the argument about FW, but this kind of talk sounds very familiar and touches on some old hatreds, sorry lol.

As for the game, it was a great win standings wise, and the D was much better in the 2nd half. In the 1st it was still awful. We have to improve on that by a lot to have any chance of a playoff run. You have to play D in the East.

I always liked DerMarr a lot, I wanted us to sine him from the beginning of the year. Baker looks very good out there, if he could only jump lol. If we can't get Sheed we should definitely sine him to the MLE. Also we should def keep Johnson. Unless we can somehow get a Quentin Richardson with a trade he is basically our future SG with Houston being about done for his career.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/30/2004  4:16 PM
Hey, was anyone impressed with Moochie?

The guy handled himself well and wasn't killed on the defensive end. Both Mighty Mouse and Anderson could have eaten him alive.

Baker may have had the last minute shots, but I think the game ball should go to Moochie.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
starbizzle
Member: #631
New Zealand
3/30/2004  4:26 PM
Posted by martin:

Hey, was anyone impressed with Moochie?

The guy handled himself well and wasn't killed on the defensive end. Both Mighty Mouse and Anderson could have eaten him alive.

Baker may have had the last minute shots, but I think the game ball should go to Moochie.

lay off of frank will, moochie in my opinion is a better pg.... if he feels its necessery to take the season off, so be it, leave him alone. our other guys can win big games for him, his contribution to the team is insignificant compared to whats going on in his life. some ppl r emotionally stronger than others just cuz u can deal w/ **** about ur moms passing away well doesnt mean he can... so lay off... were doing fine w/out him!
it aint marbury its STARBURY!
nyvector16
USA
3/30/2004  4:30 PM
Posted by simrud:

I always liked DerMarr a lot, I wanted us to sine him from the beginning of the year. Baker looks very good out there, if he could only jump lol. If we can't get Sheed we should definitely sine him to the MLE. Also we should def keep Johnson. Unless we can somehow get a Quentin Richardson with a trade he is basically our future SG with Houston being about done for his career.

I am ALLLLL for singin Demarr... But NOTTTT for the MLE!
There is alot more talent ou tthere to be had for that price.
I am sick of overpaying for people to do what they are SUPPOSE to do on this team.. Play hard ball!
I say we sign him to veterans's mimimum on a 2 year contract....
Before he proves himself in the playoffs and he starts demanding more coin. I'm all for compensating him eventually.. but a few good outings does NOT merit close to 5 Million a year...
TRU
USA
3/30/2004  4:52 PM
EZ now... just because you offer him peanuts doesn't mean DJ will take it.

If I'm smart, and I know I'm contributing, I might wait till the summer to sign anything. Maybe not Vin, becuase he might like to be here for other reasons. But Young Derrmar? If he breaks out in the playoffs, some thirsty team will overpay for his services.

Hopefully it won't be us. I'm not worried. The Layden Days are gone.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/30/2004  5:07 PM
In a perfect world, if we can't sign Rasheed for the MLE, we can split it between Johnson and Baker. That's a perfect world and that might not happen. What is it going to be this year? 5 mil? It might work...
nyvector16
USA
3/30/2004  5:08 PM
I hear ya TRU...
But the guy is coming off a life threatening injury.
He is happy to just be on any roster.. especially in the NBA.
I think we can pull the trigger on this one...
I hope we do... Timing is everything as far as numbers for any contract with him.
POR v NY Thread 3/29

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy