[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marbury and clock management
Author Thread
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
3/27/2004  10:59 AM
Was anyone else cringing when Marbury was hoisting up shots early in the shot clock and Knicks up 4 or 5 points come crunch time last night? Obviously, he hit 'em all, so in retrospect, it's hard to question his decision making. But it sure wasn't conventional point guard play. It actually reminded me of the way another awesomely talented point guard used to finish games ... Isiah.

I'm torn about the strategy, actually. By looking for shots early in the clock, you get better looks. If your play breaks down, you can reset, and try again. Also, defense isn't really digging in early in clock, expecting you to sit on the ball. The first time Steph got a wide open foul line jumper of a simple pick. Clearly Toronto wasn't expecting him to put it up. Can't complain about that shot. But next time down he took a contested 20 footer from the corner. Thought it was an ill advised shot. Dude hit it. He was feeling it, obviously. But if he'd missed, and we'd lost, he'd have opened himself up to a lot of questions that no one could have asked if he'd used an extra 10 seconds before missing.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/27/2004  11:08 AM
Posted by bernard:

Was anyone else cringing when Marbury was hoisting up shots early in the shot clock and Knicks up 4 or 5 points come crunch time last night? Obviously, he hit 'em all, so in retrospect, it's hard to question his decision making. But it sure wasn't conventional point guard play. It actually reminded me of the way another awesomely talented point guard used to finish games ... Isiah.

I'm torn about the strategy, actually. By looking for shots early in the clock, you get better looks. If your play breaks down, you can reset, and try again. Also, defense isn't really digging in early in clock, expecting you to sit on the ball. The first time Steph got a wide open foul line jumper of a simple pick. Clearly Toronto wasn't expecting him to put it up. Can't complain about that shot. But next time down he took a contested 20 footer from the corner. Thought it was an ill advised shot. Dude hit it. He was feeling it, obviously. But if he'd missed, and we'd lost, he'd have opened himself up to a lot of questions that no one could have asked if he'd used an extra 10 seconds before missing.

This was what I remember.

bring the ball up the court, make the quick drive to a spot, shoot. "NOOOOOOOOooooo! Why is he shooting with that much time on the clock?!?!?."

Swish.

"YES!"

Rinse and repeat 4 or 5 times.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/27/2004  11:26 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by bernard:

This was what I remember.

bring the ball up the court, make the quick drive to a spot, shoot. "NOOOOOOOOooooo! Why is he shooting with that much time on the clock?!?!?."

Swish.

"YES!"

Rinse and repeat 4 or 5 times.

LOL, probably everyone's reaction.

If steph can keep hitting those shots then as far as I'm concerned, he should take them. You have to admit, it was much more exciting than wearing down the shot clock.
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
3/27/2004  12:54 PM
Seph is our go to guy. And if the ball is bouncing his way you go with the flow. On the other hand, when things start looking ugly you make adjustments and divy the minutes....game plan[adjusted].

Interestingly, Seph was 13/22 FG shooting a whopping 59% while FT shooting 11/11 fantastic100% compared to team stats without Steph's numbers looks like 43% FG and 85% FT....STARBURY BABY !

I'll say one final thing, If it aint broke don't fix it!
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/27/2004  12:57 PM
I just hate it how he's missing all those close baskets.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/27/2004  2:37 PM
Marbury's a rhyhtm shooter. When he was on like he was last night, he can make any of those shots he was taking. Obviously they're not the shots you want, but I think the guy really has a feel for when he is on and when he can make shots. He really makes and takes shots in bunches.
Marbury and clock management

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy