[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Reverand Isiah Preaches the truth........
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/25/2004  9:40 AM

Im not always 100% behind Isiah, but his speach to high schoolers yesterday was impressive. The privilege of being a superstar is a big one. I am amazed how many talented stars have emerged with so little regard to the effort it took themselves to get there, and how they think basketball talent puts them above decency and the law. It still a minority of players, but the rash of legal problems (Kobe, Spree, Jayson Williams, etc), morality (rash of recruiting violations with money and sex, St. Johns, etc), is amazing.

It stem from a TON of money along with iconization of these mega stars. Its a tough tough thing to handle, and it somthing I must admit I would have a tough time with. Lucky me, I don't have such temptations, LOL!

Isiah was such a talent, but embraced the discipline of Bobby knight and developed into a rare talent with a work ethic. He is distinct in that he was not babied on the way up like so many are now. High School kids flirting with the NBA is an ego rush and a fantasy come true.

JamesOn Curry, a star player in North Carolina had signed to play for the Tar Heels but got caught selling weed. He thought he would not get caught and was above it. What is this kid thinking?

Its a shame a gone by era of character developement seems to be going away. Im not saying every coach has to be a nut like Bobby Knight, but Isiah was a punk whom embraced him and in the end defined his success. I have much more respect for Isiah for his display yesterday.

Coaches used to be able to mold kids and talent, somtimes in not so nice ways. Now if a kid don't like it, he leaves or goes to the NBA. But how much further can a kid develope both skills, and character if they stayed? I think the decline in talent is not athletics, but the mental discipline that a little more maturity can offer. My take.

From post.......

March 25, 2004 -- Isiah Thomas caused a stir in the Knick locker room with last week's postgame tirade that challenged them to step up.
Thomas took his motivational tour to Chicago Monday and called out two high school stars participating in last night's Reebok-sponsored Roundball H.S. Classic at United Center that featured potential No. 1 pick Dwight Howard.

A native of Chicago's West Side, Thomas was the keynote speaker at the tournament's banquet Monday and delivered a stern message to two players who were 25 minutes late for a photo session. Each player in the tournament was instructed to show up at a certain time to have his picture taken with Isiah, an All-American at Chicago area's St. Joseph's.

During his speech, Isiah shocked the audience by singling out the two players for their tardiness, preaching to them responsibility, respect, having role models, even invoking the name of his former college coach, Bobby Knight. Isiah received a standing ovation when his 35-minute talk concluded.

A tournament source who attended the banquet and photo session said the two players apologized to Isiah afterward.

"It was a great speech," the source said.

"At a young age, I had teachers who are committed enough to teach me the right away," Isiah told The Post. "For those young men, I just wanted to make sure they understood there's a right way and wrong way. It turned out be a very positive night because they got a lot out of it. It's better they got it at age 17 and 18 than 26 or 27."

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/25/2004  10:12 AM
I always hated Isiah.. mostly because he was that ****y arrogant type than everyone hates (unless he's wearing your uniform). Bottom line though is this guy knows this game, knows it players and knows what makes a team. I'm pretty excited to see what he does with this team over the next couple years. The more I learn about him though the more I think he's going to be the next coach and he will get Donnie to come over and take care of day to day ops. Probably not from a couple years though.. I think he gives Lenny at least 2 full years.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/25/2004  11:11 AM

I think he can be a good mentor type as GM. Any Coach that comes in has to know that Isiah will be the cult of personality and needs to deal with it. Any coach needs to be onboard. Lenny is not a fired up kind of guy, but he needs to watch his x's and o's.

Donnie is not leaving Indiana unless larry wants him gone.

Being GM gives you greater control than coach. Isiah will be a rare high profile GM.

In 2-3 years, the honeymoon will be way over and its gonna be about wins and loses. Isiah gets a free pass this year even though he was very ambitious and promised playoffs. But next year this team needs to be top 4 in the east to really give him any kudos.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/25/2004  5:49 PM
Isiah is as real as they come. I'm glad he's our GM. I have complete trust in his judgement. It's not like Layden.....As a fan all we have to do is wait cuz Isiah is definately gonna get the right guys here.

Thank God for that.....cuz us Knick fans have been through too much
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
3/25/2004  8:06 PM
even though i can think of a million things that didnt work with layden and the knicks, i can think of one which i really hated and did really work....
van horn and sprewell trade....
we became that rebounding and jump shooting team that layden envisioned and it worked....

dats the my point,
anyway, im really sick of all u the people complaining and complaining, im even more sick of the people making up trades that will soon have shaq duncan KG kobe and kidd coming to NY
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/26/2004  6:27 PM
I hated Isiah the day he walked off the court after a playoff exit and didn't shake hands with the winners.

Today, I have the opposite opinion.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
3/26/2004  7:50 PM
reality check: Dolan gave Zeke carte blanche for the privilege of making the playoffs. Zeke's response should be more than a mere first round reward.....preach dat
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
The Reverand Isiah Preaches the truth........

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy