[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks can really learn a lot from Memphis
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/25/2004  9:32 AM
Like patience... they were in a similar situation last year. They got a new GM, made some roster changes, got a new coach mid season and struggled although they did show some signs. Yet they were patient and essentially started the year with the same team they ended with. They dont have a great inside player.. Gasol is nice but he's kind of a tweener. Not a pure back to the basket type.

My point is I just hope the Knicks are patient. If we get lucky on a Sheed (not counting on it) thats nice, but otherwise I dont think its a bad thing to start next year with essentially the same roster. I want to see Marbury, Houston, TT, Kurt and Nazr play 40 games together AFTER a preseason and training camp. Let Penny, Shandon, Frank, Sweetney and co fight for the other 4 spots in the rotation.

I think people would be suprised how good that line up could be. I dont think Im being overly optimistic, I just dont think an injury plagued 30 game period with a new coach in a season with 22 different players on the roster is a good way to judge a group.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/25/2004  10:11 AM
that is a much much younger team with many more athletes a great deal of length at nearly every position and a franchise type frontcourt player. this team is so far above the knicks it's not close. we have to many guys like KT andersen penny baker houston who are 30+ and regressing and happen to be core components

our team pretty much is Starbury nazr TT Sweetney and then many question marks-- we need to get younger and more athletic+ bigger. To me nothing has changed in that aspect-we need more size we need younger players at nearly every position. indiana doesnt have jermaine oneal and bender yet they beat dallas these teams are so far above us because they can win with injury--when we can win with injury when there are no excuses when the other[good]arent shooting a high% of layups and dunks+ FT--let me know. we need to start with a core anchor player in the middle to thwart lane penetration and some speed on the perimeter.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
3/25/2004  10:26 AM
We are closer than you think. Last year none of those guys could play except Gasol maybe. Obviously (I agree with you) we need to move away from Penny, Shandon, Othella, etc. but that will take time. At least with Isiah and Lenny your getting see someone like Demaar or Sweetney play. Mike was in street clothes playing behind Spoon when Don and Scott were in charge.

This is the part that will require patience.. we have seen flashes of how well some of these guys can be an play together.. now relax and let Isiah continue moving in this direction. So far he's gotten younger and more athletic with all of his moves, except maybe Vin Baker but thats just filling a need.
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
3/25/2004  12:02 PM
Fish: you're right, at least partially, imo. This team would get significantly better even w/o any further changes ... though not enough to win more than one playoff series w/o improved personnel. What I wonder is who you're asking to be patient -- Fans or Isaih?

I still think we're going down the right path. Even if we miss the playoffs this year, I'll believe that. We need to keep to the plan, keep trading our topped out talent for young or young-ish guys with some warts on them, and keep hoping that we get lucky s=with some of these deals.
fishmike
USA
3/25/2004  12:34 PM
definatly fans... I'm not worried about Isiah, just because I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt regardless. He's been a coach, a GM, a title winning MVP caliber PG.. he knows about patience and chemistry.

He made a boat load of changes because he wanted to get guys that fit better around Marbury and would be more valuable commodities. The two go hand in hand. If Nazr thrives because of easy baskets Steph creates that just inflates his value.

My guess is Isiah has a 2 part plan. The first is make this team watchable. If they only advance one round or just make it for a couple years fine, at least its winning basketball and they are making the playoffs. The next part of the plan is to build a team with his guys. He's shown he loves molding young guys, he's got a good eye for talent and he likes th draft. Thats the part that will take time. Hey... he might totally fail but I think so far thats his plan, and I'm willing to be patient and not blow my top because Moochie Norris is on the roster or he traded Lampe.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/25/2004  2:00 PM
i agree. i'm willing to wait till after the trade deadline next year to see where we are as a team. for all we know, isiah could've set us back a couple of more years...

as for memphis. they really do need to be commended on what they've done. they realized that they don't have a franchise superstar so they went the other route and tried to amass as much talent as possible. now, with them playing so well, everyone's stock is high and now jerry west can trade some players to get that superstar. he's an f'n genius. it just hurts to see how some coaches can get players to play above their heads with so much passion and a commitment to defense. i don't see it here with lenny. okay, he didn't get the benefit of a healthy roster and a training camp so i'm giving him time as well...
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
3/25/2004  3:29 PM
this roster with HEALTH and some time together can win 50 games next year IMO. They are so much more athletic and skilled than the roster was on opening night, it is not even close! The NAY-SAYERS are off the track here. The only thing I will say is I am not sure Wilkens is the right guy, I never was. He is better than Chaney for sure, but I would rather have a Doc Rivers here coaching them.

Next year Sweets could be a 12/10 guy given the minutes...oh wait a minute that is better than KT right now! I say move KT, Othella, ANderson and Deke for some more young and long talent. I am sure IT will make some more moves this off season. NY has 1 superstar now, it needs at least 1 more and then 3 good complimentary players (TT, Mohammed, Baker, Houston, Sweets)!

This team is not as bad as they look right now. For God's sake Houston has been a wash all year! TT was just starting to groove and then he goes down. If NY gets the 7 against N without Kidd, I say they can win as long as TT is 100% and HOuston can give them something.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/25/2004  4:56 PM
We are defenetly younger and have more proimise then in the beginning of the year, but a lot more needs to happen.

First of all, FW needs to be brought back to life, the kid won the starting job earlier this year, obviously he has enough talent to play 10 minutes a game behind Marbury.

TT needs to stay healthy, he has had way to many injuires. If he does manage to stay healthy we have our SF of the future for years to come.

Sweetney needs to start over KT. He already has the potential to lead the league in rebounding, what does KT has a potential to lead the league in? Oh, I know, illegal picks. OH will put up some hard competition there thogh.

Mohammed needs to continue his development into a Maglore type player, work on his jumper and get his shoblocking to a little over 1 a game. Can he do it? I say easily, he is already a great finisher and rebounder, especially offensvely, mostly because lo and behold he can jump as opposed OH, Deke, KT, etc.

Marbury needs to stay healthy, and we got our PG for many years to come, nothing more needed to say here.

Houston needs to be moved for something. Get somebody to take a chance on his bloated deal and busted knees. Get a pick and some garbage that you can release back along with some bad contracts that expire within the next 2 years. It does not even matter if it is a late 1st rounder. Just get rid of this cripple. Give up both 2nd rounders if need be.

Demarr Johnson should be devloped intensively and given a chance to play over Penny and Anderson. With luck he is good enough to start next year and get his pts of outside shooting, cutting and fastbreak, no isos for him, kinda like Kittles plays in Jersey. Considering he is athletic and has a shot, he can def. do that.

Bring Baker back for the MLE, realistically we wount be able to get anything better, and besides Baker is a nice bakcup C. Penny is fine backing up 2 and 3, and Anderson is a good defensive stopper of the bench.

So the rotation should be like this:
C Mohammed (12pts 10brds 1blk) / Baker (9pts 6rbs 1blk)
PF Sweetney (16pts 14brds 1blk) / KT (8pts 7rbs 1blk)
SF TT (15pts 5brds 3ass) / Penny (8pts 4bre 1stl)
SG Johnson (16pts 4brds 2ass) / Andreson (4pts 2rbs 1stl)
PG Marbury (21pts 2stls 10as) / FW (4pts 2ass 1stl)
Deke, 1st rounder
IL OH, Norris, Trybanski

That is a very young starting 5, and a venteran second unit, also with some youth in FW. Trade OH, Deke, and Trybanski along with a 1st rounder in a Marbury type deal to land another star player midway through the season.

A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
fishmike
USA
3/25/2004  5:09 PM
Sweetney isnt ready.. dont be fooled by numbers produced by "per 48 minutes" type stats. Sweetney is progressing, let him progress. My guess is he is another (at least) entire year from being able to start in this league if he can at all. Im super high on him, but he needs time... he's 21.

Houston might be the most important player in our offense. If you move him you better get another shooter because TT is good but he's not Houston. Look how not having Houston has hurt Marbury's game. He's got no midrange opportunites anymore because defenders ALWAYS cheat off Shandon, Penny or Demaar because none of those guys are beating them.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/26/2004  6:18 PM
I am surprised that so many people are down on Kurt and want Sweets to start over him ASAP. The ONLY thing I have seen out of Fat Boy is hussle. We've seen flashes on offense - potential - but nothing more. Ask Sweetney to do that over a 30 minute period and teams will eat him alive. Can he make the 15-18 foot jumpshot? No. Reliable in the post? No. Defensive stopper in the post? Don't think so. Weak side D? Help D? I do like his rebounding over Kurt. You can't really double off of Kurt, I bet you could do that all day on Sweets.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/26/2004  6:21 PM
I would like to see more of Sweets and DerMarr and FWill this year for development reasons but I think Wilkens needs to win games. And that measn Penny and Anderson and Moochie. Watch their minutes dwindle next year.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
3/26/2004  7:55 PM
Lenny is in a no lose situation, getting minutes for FW, and Sweets, Demarr may be difficult because of the pressure to produce wins now.
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
fishmike
USA
3/26/2004  8:26 PM
Posted by Bobby:

Lenny is in a no lose situation, getting minutes for FW, and Sweets, Demarr may be difficult because of the pressure to produce wins now.
And there's nothing wrong with this.. making the playoffs and hoping we are healthy come then is much more important than getting Frank and Mike minutes in these last 10 games. If TT and Houston are 100% then its different, but we now isnt the time to live with rookie mistakes.
Knicks can really learn a lot from Memphis

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy