[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

This is why we Love and Hate the NBA- What they don't want you to know.
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/22/2012  10:34 AM
http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

We played this little game during the regular season and summer league. After a game, all three REFS would gather around the VCR and watch a replay of the game. Early in the contest, the announcers would say, "Holy cow! They're really letting them play tonight!" If they only knew...

Relationships between NBA players and referees were generally all over the board — love, hate, and everything in-between. Some players, even very good ones, were targeted by referees and the league because they were too talented for their own good.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
playa2

11/22/2012  10:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2012  11:54 AM
Fellas don't think all the time refs miss calls that you and I see clearly even on replay and don't get too angry when we see games like the recent Memphis one.

It's how the league is run no matter if Donaghy is there or not.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
11/22/2012  12:37 PM
Finally some insight into the really interesting "players" of the game.
https:// It's not so hard.
IronWillGiroud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4359

11/22/2012  12:58 PM
That's a hilarious read, thanks for the link.

Some of the scenarios remind me of Supertroopers, when they are challenging each other to say "Meow" some number of times.

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
playa2

11/22/2012  1:55 PM
Love the NBA game, dislike the sin that plagues the NBA game, the Commissioner and his henchmen hustling refs.
ShellTopAdidas
Member: #3983

11/22/2012  3:31 PM
The perks of having a super star on your team. None of this surprises me.
playa2

11/23/2012  5:42 AM
I can never look at the games the same way again, there is too much money being made .

Not just by refs, but others in the underworld.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/23/2012  12:35 PM
Wow. Great book/great read. Thanks for posting it.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
playa2

11/23/2012  10:39 PM
Refs know how to mentally get in players head with non calls and this in itself can change momentum in a game.
playa2

11/24/2012  8:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/24/2012  2:22 PM
playa2 wrote:http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

We played this little game during the regular season and summer league. After a game, all three REFS would gather around the VCR and watch a replay of the game. Early in the contest, the announcers would say, "Holy cow! They're really letting them play tonight!" If they only knew...

Relationships between NBA players and referees were generally all over the board — love, hate, and everything in-between. Some players, even very good ones, were targeted by referees and the league because they were too talented for their own good.

Fellas the second point made here can loom large for this team called the NY Knicks, we started out 6-0 and In Memphis we saw some of the mind games the refs started to play.

IronWillGiroud

11/24/2012  1:49 PM
Just shows you how important it is to keep playing your game regardless of which way the calls are falling.

If you let bad calls get to you, you're done. Of course it's not easy going against this underhanded ****, but nothing in life is easy. You just have to roll with the punches.

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
playa2

11/24/2012  2:24 PM
IronWillGiroud wrote:Just shows you how important it is to keep playing your game regardless of which way the calls are falling.

If you let bad calls get to you, you're done. Of course it's not easy going against this underhanded ****, but nothing in life is easy. You just have to roll with the punches.

Maybe this is why Michael Jordan said playing in the NBA is 10% PHYSICAL and 90% MENTAL

playa2

12/1/2012  2:28 PM
playa2 wrote:http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

HOW MANY GAMES WILL WE WATCH THIS YEAR WHEN THIS TAKES PLACE ?

playa2

12/7/2012  10:16 AM

If Kobe Bryant had two fouls in the first or second quarter and went to the bench, one referee would tell the other two, "Kobe's got two fouls. Let's make sure that if we call a foul on him, it's an obvious foul, because otherwise he's gonna go back to the bench. If he is involved in a play where a foul is called, give the foul to another player."

Similarly, when games got physically rough, we would huddle up and agree to tighten the game up. So we started calling fouls on guys who didn't really matter — "ticky-tack" or "touch" fouls where one player just touched another but didn't really impede his progress. Under regular circumstances these wouldn't be fouls, but after a skirmish we wanted to regain control. We would never call these types of fouls on superstars, just on the average players who didn't have star status. It was important to keep the stars on the floor.

playa2

12/11/2012  7:43 PM
From my earliest involvement with Bavetta, I learned that he likes to keep games close, and that when a team gets down by double-digit points, he helps the players save face. He accomplishes this act of mercy by quietly, and frequently, blowing the whistle on the team that's having the better night. Team fouls suddenly become one-sided between the contestants, and the score begins to tighten up. That's the way Dick Bavetta referees a game — and everyone in the league knew it.
playa2

12/21/2012  9:48 PM
This was a perfect example of the refs controlling a game, they had an agenda.
IronWillGiroud

12/24/2012  8:45 AM
playa2 wrote:This was a perfect example of the refs controlling a game, they had an agenda.

I think you just create some idea in your head and everything that happens after that is automatically molded to fit this idea

playa2

12/24/2012  10:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/24/2012  10:10 AM
IronWillGiroud wrote:
playa2 wrote:This was a perfect example of the refs controlling a game, they had an agenda.

I think you just create some idea in your head and everything that happens after that is automatically molded to fit this idea

Plz man stop following me around like some lost puppy, go and read the book, stop coming at me.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

IronWillGiroud

12/24/2012  10:47 AM
playa2 wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:

Plz man stop following me around like some lost puppy, go and read the book, stop coming at me.

I know if I wanted to get people to read a book i would tell them the nba didn't want me to read it

Whatever man, there's probably some slack here and there around the league but for the most part if you are better than the other guy at dropping the buckets, you're gonna win

This is why we Love and Hate the NBA- What they don't want you to know.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy