[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

white and right
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/17/2012  12:02 AM
Houston Rockets rookie Royce White says he is prepared to walk away from the NBA.

Speaking in an interview with ESPN's Colleen Dominguez, White said he was going to meet with general manager Daryl Morey on Monday to discuss his situation with the team.

White
White

The Rockets have said they intend to fine White for every day he remains away from the team or does not attend sessions with a therapist arranged by the team. The Houston Chronicle has reported the Rockets have no plans to trade or release White.

On the situation with White, a Rockets spokesperson said the team stands by its previous statement: "We are committed to his long-term success and we will continue to support him now and going forward."

White, the 16th pick in June's draft, has remained absent from the team in a dispute over how the Rockets are helping him confront his anxiety disorder.

White posted on Twitter on Thursday: "I'm not PLANNING to quit, but if its between my HEALTH and BASKETBALL, health takes precedence."

The Harlem Globetrotters have reached out to the rookie, who publicly has stated his fear of flying.

"I have watched from afar an incredibly gifted basketball player who has struggled off the court with a fear of flying, and I truly feel for this young man," Globetrotters coach and director of player personnel "Sweet" Lou Dunbar said in a news release. "While we truly hope Royce can overcome his fears, and have a highly successful NBA career, I just want him to know the Globetrotters offer their support and another option to play professional basketball without a rigorous flying schedule. He could have an opportunity to play for the Globetrotters, as many of our 270 games in North America are traveled by luxury bus. As for the 150 others overseas, well, we would have to excuse him from those games."

White, who has yet to play in a game, did not attend the Rockets' game Monday against Miami, their practice Tuesday or their game Wednesday against New Orleans. He earlier wrote on his Twitter account that the Rockets have been "inconsistent" in helping him.

The Rockets (4-4) visited the Portland Trail Blazers (3-5) on Friday night.

He's willing to give up basketball and millions

ES
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
11/17/2012  12:19 AM
Sad. That pick was from the Knicks in the mcgrady trade.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
VCoug
Member: #1406

11/17/2012  12:34 AM
This is such a sad story, I really hope that White gets the help he needs and we don't end up 10 years from now hearing about how he's living in halfway houses. Also, when I saw the title of your post my eyes bugged out not knowing what the actual topic was.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/17/2012  8:17 AM
Whole situation has been way to transparent. White has been tweeting and been very open about it but Im not sure thats all been a good thing.

I'd guess there is a lot more to this and hope this kids hard work can be put to use and he can have a nice career.

smackeddog
Member: #883
11/19/2012  5:53 AM
Sad, and badly handled by all people involved. But I don't think the Rockets really had a grasp of this issue and it's implications right from the start. I think they thought a few therapy sessions and he'd be fine, when in actual fact it's like having someone who has a peanut allergy, and then employing them in a job that requires them to eat peanuts several times a week.

Not surprised he feels so mistrustful of the organization- if someone wanted you to do something you feel you really can't do and could kill you, it's easy to start to feel they don't care about your wellbeing and are out to harm you. Fear plus mistrust is an absolute disaster in any relationship.

Should have exempted him from away games right from the start, to take the pressure off him, and then let him tackle his issue when it felt right for him to do so, even if that was years later.

playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/19/2012  9:32 PM
This is the reason why I never blame a player drafted high in the association.

I'm sure his college coach told the Rockets Brass about his fear of flying, but the Rockets probably thought with all the money he'll be making they would help him overcome that fear quickly as possible, not knowing how much help he would really need. Oh well it's their problem, do your homework before you draft.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/22/2012  11:43 AM
I started following the Rockets this year but their coaching staff is one of the worst in the league. From Lin to Terrence Jones to Donatas to White. Everything just seems odd.
white and right

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy