[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

It sounds like Royce White is really struggling
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Posts: 55242
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
11/13/2012  10:45 PM
Sad stuff. I hope he overcomes this.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/13/rockets-royce-white-skips-game-practice-to-be-sent-to-d-league/
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
AUTOADVERT
ChuckBuck
Posts: 28851
Alba Posts: 11
Joined: 1/3/2012
Member: #3806
USA
11/14/2012  9:42 AM
He can't knock down a couple of valium with a glass of Black label? Don't mean to diminish any disorder, but it sounds like it's a one way street, and he's not doing his part. Be a professional young buck, and overcome "your fear of flying" they're paying you millions.
smackeddog
Posts: 32464
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
11/14/2012  2:33 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:He can't knock down a couple of valium with a glass of Black label? Don't mean to diminish any disorder, but it sounds like it's a one way street, and he's not doing his part. Be a professional young buck, and overcome "your fear of flying" they're paying you millions.

Not that simple, unfortunately. Anxiety issues are very complex and there's no guaranteed way of treating them. Every nba team knew his issues, whatever team drafted him should have taken the pressure off him by letting him only play home games, then let him work on his fear of flying at a later date. As it is, rockets just seem like they think he's lying or being fussy- unfortunately it's a very common attitude to mental health issues.

ChuckBuck
Posts: 28851
Alba Posts: 11
Joined: 1/3/2012
Member: #3806
USA
11/14/2012  3:08 PM
smackeddog wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:He can't knock down a couple of valium with a glass of Black label? Don't mean to diminish any disorder, but it sounds like it's a one way street, and he's not doing his part. Be a professional young buck, and overcome "your fear of flying" they're paying you millions.

Not that simple, unfortunately. Anxiety issues are very complex and there's no guaranteed way of treating them. Every nba team knew his issues, whatever team drafted him should have taken the pressure off him by letting him only play home games, then let him work on his fear of flying at a later date. As it is, rockets just seem like they think he's lying or being fussy- unfortunately it's a very common attitude to mental health issues.

Yea I know. Mental health and anxiety disorders are nothing to scoff at. I had a relative check into a hospital because they were "Bipolar" and had some sort of episode. A short while after treatment, it's like nothing had happened. There's a reason several teams passed on him, and it's not just the "fear of flying". He had disciplinary issues at every level he's played, including theft, and just not following protocol. He didn't report to training camp, even though he's under contract. He's missing practice and shootaround now, because of the current "disrespect" or lack of care to his condition, and that's just not professional no matter the circumstance. Sorry, I can't really sympathize with him, when there's better ways to deal with it.

Seems like Houston gambled and lost on this bet. All the talent in the world, and a little OCD throws a wrench in it. He's getting sent down to the D league and is fined for all the practice days he missed.

smackeddog
Posts: 32464
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
11/14/2012  3:42 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:He can't knock down a couple of valium with a glass of Black label? Don't mean to diminish any disorder, but it sounds like it's a one way street, and he's not doing his part. Be a professional young buck, and overcome "your fear of flying" they're paying you millions.

Not that simple, unfortunately. Anxiety issues are very complex and there's no guaranteed way of treating them. Every nba team knew his issues, whatever team drafted him should have taken the pressure off him by letting him only play home games, then let him work on his fear of flying at a later date. As it is, rockets just seem like they think he's lying or being fussy- unfortunately it's a very common attitude to mental health issues.

Yea I know. Mental health and anxiety disorders are nothing to scoff at. I had a relative check into a hospital because they were "Bipolar" and had some sort of episode. A short while after treatment, it's like nothing had happened. There's a reason several teams passed on him, and it's not just the "fear of flying". He had disciplinary issues at every level he's played, including theft, and just not following protocol. He didn't report to training camp, even though he's under contract. He's missing practice and shootaround now, because of the current "disrespect" or lack of care to his condition, and that's just not professional no matter the circumstance. Sorry, I can't really sympathize with him, when there's better ways to deal with it.

Seems like Houston gambled and lost on this bet. All the talent in the world, and a little OCD throws a wrench in it. He's getting sent down to the D league and is fined for all the practice days he missed.

Yeah, he hasn't handled this situation well. But then again, either have the rockets- they had no plan in place from day one (other than hope he's fine!). Even now they're threatening to fine him for not seeing a therapist THEY chose for him. As a psychotherapist myself, I always think its counter productive to compel people to attend therapy. Most of the research suggests its not so much the type of therapy that helps, but rather the quality of the relationship between the client and the therapist, and the level of confidence the client has in them. By not letting him chose his own therapist, the rockets have really undermined things. Now he doesn't trust the rockets, nor his therapist (who he'll see as an extension of them). Both parties are to blame, but it could all have been avoided.

Sorry to hear about your relative- it's scary when you hear terms like 'bipolar' and people checking themselves into mental hospitals. But really, being diagnosed bipolar just means that they'll sometime swing between really hyper 'manic' moods (where they'll seem high as a kite!) and really rock bottom low depressed moods. Most of the time they'll seem fine- it's just they'll be a bit erratic and some of the decisions they make when in a low or high might seem a bit odd to you, or really concerning when they're at a low ebb.

ChuckBuck
Posts: 28851
Alba Posts: 11
Joined: 1/3/2012
Member: #3806
USA
11/14/2012  4:01 PM
Sticky situation indeed, everyone loses. Hope his story ends up a happy one, and not a precautionary tale.

And thanks for the sentiment, my relative is doing fine now. Off the meds and therapy and just "dealing with it" one day at a time.

As a psychotherapist, can you prescribe or treat some of the fans on this board. Some of them are really "loco"!

smackeddog
Posts: 32464
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
11/14/2012  4:11 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:Sticky situation indeed, everyone loses. Hope his story ends up a happy one, and not a precautionary tale.

And thanks for the sentiment, my relative is doing fine now. Off the meds and therapy and just "dealing with it" one day at a time.

As a psychotherapist, can you prescribe or treat some of the fans on this board. Some of them are really "loco"!

I believe the only effective prescription for fans on this board is:

50mgs of a back to back ass whooping of the San Antinio Spurs and the Memphis Grizzlies!

It sounds like Royce White is really struggling

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.