Kobe Article (Good Reading Here)
Author Thread
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
3/23/2004  8:21 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by starbizzle:

mike go fish a clue.... jordan's said it tons of times that he'd LOVE to be a knick.. in fact all the superstars love playing in the garden... its the most famous arena and u get paid like ur the most famous player who wouldnt wanna play for new york?

bizzle, saying and actually doing are 2 different thing.

absolutely true, martin. i remembered all of the free agents that were "supposed" to come to new york from michael jordan, karl malone, reggie miller, shaquille o'neal, juwan howard ( when he was an all-star), chris webber, alonzo mourning, tim hardaway and the list goes on and on. so excuse me if i am skeptical about people saying that they will sign with new york. frankly i see us getting either swift or more realistically marcus fizer in the off-season than any one else. i don't think we even have a chance for dampier.

as far as the second question goes, martin, it is like asking a person would you take an inconsistent post player who COULD fit well with your team but is still PROBABLY the best power forward in the east behind o'neal or get arguably one of the best players in the nba not this year but this millenium. you decide. even though i can't stand the idiot, it is a no brainer if you ask me.
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/23/2004  8:27 AM

LAKERS SAY KOBE MAY SIGN HERE
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17492.htm

And according to this article, Houston for Kobe is possible and desirable ... sounds too good to be true.

I read the article. Sounds too good to be true. Houston's jumper and style of play would be alot better suited for a structured offense. Maybe the Lakers do it to get a different look and rebuild around Shaq and Phil. If that happens then Marbury would not be the fit you want in the triangle. Marbury is a pick and role player and needs the ball in his hands to be sucsessful.

Another guy made the point that Laker fans would be talking alot of junk if NY wins the championship with Kobe. Well, Kobe doesn't have a Garden history like Reggie, or Tim Hardaway, etc. Most New yorkers hate Kobe because he's a jerk, with a anti-new york attitude. The guy wants to be on the biggest stage. I'd be more than happy to throw toilet paper at him in a parade downtown.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/23/2004  11:46 AM
Wait a minute I just realize how badly lobsided this proposal was lol

Houston makes about 17mil
Steph about 17mil
KT about 7mil

Kobe makes 11mil I think
Payton makes 1mil

So forget about it, but if we can somehow get Kobe for Houston + KT I would do it in a second.

Check this out,
The NYPOSt reported that Phil Jackson has interest in Allan Houston if the Lakers know they are going to lose Kobe to the Suns or Nuggets without compensation.
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
3/23/2004  12:00 PM
Kobe's another top 10 player. Probably top 5. Maybe even top 2. How could we not take him for Houston and Thomas. I don't hate him. Not like I did MJ or the other Knick killers. I would be rooting for him in a NY minute if we got him. And I don't buy that he and Marbury would have trouble working together. They're both great players. They'd figure it out.

Unfortunately, I also don't buy that we have a shot at him. Even if Lakers want to go sign and trade, sure they can do better than Houston. Yeah, he'd work well in their Triangle. But only when he's on the floor and moving OK.
gunsnewing
USA
3/23/2004  12:03 PM
just look how hard marbury is trying to pass the ball. If he has Kobe there to pass it to instead of Kurt Thomas he'll average 16 assists!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/23/2004  12:07 PM
I would have to guess that the LakeJoint would demand Houston, Kurt and FWill for Kobe and junk, especially when both Payton and Malone are about expire. And for that I would still be happy happy happy.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
3/23/2004  7:48 PM
Kobe to New York ? The only coaches that will probably be the best fit for Kobe are Brown, Carlisle, Popovich, Saunders, and Adelman.

Kobe in NY is VC to Lenny all over again....
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/23/2004  8:15 PM
I think the only realistic way for Kobe to become a Knick is for Marbury to be included in the package, at least if that's what the Lakers want to do.

Players of Kobe's caliber do not grow on trees and develop from second rate prospects. They're few and far between.

Now if you think about it-- Kobe has an unbelievable ability to hit the bit shot. I can't think of any other player in the league who'd I'd want shooting the ball with the team down, 1, 2, or 3 points with seconds left... or a player I'd want to be making the plays if we're down 6pts with 2 minutes remaining.

Marbury's name may be among the names of the top PGs of his era, but Kobe's legend has to be measured up to the all-time greats.

But yeah.

I'm not certain the Lakers would want to take over Marbury's contract. It's friggin' huge. Maybe they'd be more interested in grabbing Kurt Thomas (nice Horace Grant-type of game to complement Shaq), Sweetney, and Penny for next year (disposable contract)... and maybe send Rick Fox along w/ Kobe.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
3/23/2004  8:34 PM
Starbury by any means should not be traded for Kobe. The real Blockbuster trade this summer is Nazr/TT/SA for Shaq and if Dolan really wants to go championship....get the coach he should've got years ago, Get Phil Jackson/ Tex Winter
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/23/2004  11:25 PM
Kobe for H20 in a minute.

I don't see Nuggs going for him. Got that Carmelo fellow playing the wing, and just don't see the fit. To close to eagle, and he would be a freak show in that city.

Only nice thing is the furs he can wear!

You give up Steph for Kobe any day without thinking about it.

Logical is Phoenix. Lots of assets to dress him up nice, join Marion and Stoudamire as the trio for the future.
NYK8
Member: #320
USA
3/24/2004  12:07 AM
Suns for who J.Johnson,they would prefer Houston pure shooter/scorer.They would need to add Marion.The problem is Stoudamire,Eisley and Kobe just dont cut it.Kobe4Houston yup,pass him on D no problem there go Shaq.Thats why we have problems no dominate center.Just role players that fit well together n wouldnt mind being third or fourth options need i say more.

S.A. would need to send Ginobli n Parker which wont happen.Besides Duncan would have the same problems Shaq is having.

Phi. has Iverson unless they willing to part for Kobe.That would be the only way but one man there just cant do it.

Kobe for Houston works out for both.Houston fits well in the triangle off.plus it suites Houston kneez in this style and he would not step in Shaqs way b/c of his personality.Marbury would luv to have Kobe by his side.Two scoring threats TT,Nazi as third,fourth option would work perfect.Which Wallace can play part of as well.The way he fitted in Det.so then use our mid-level for him.OMG

[Edited by - nyk8 on 03/24/2004 00:08:36]

[Edited by - nyk8 on 03/24/2004 00:10:13]

[Edited by - nyk8 on 03/24/2004 00:12:08]
!!!Knicks!!!
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
3/24/2004  12:20 AM
No way we get Kobe for Houston. LA would be the lauging stock of the league. You trade someone who is a better offensive, defensive, clutch, ball handler, etc, etc and is younger? I don't think so. They could get all sorts of loot for Kobe if he agreed to a sign and trade.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/24/2004  1:12 AM
If we throw in KT and FW in there they might do it. They will need a PF and a PG with Malone and Payton most likley not staying there. Thomas also is a very good fit for them. FW is the kind of PG Jackson likes, big, plays D, does not look to score, only takes the open shot and hits it most of the time. Might as well give them a 1st round pick as well.

So Kobe for Houston, KT, FW, and a 1st round pick. If Kobe says he woun't stay no matter what and agrees to play in NY this just might be the best deal out there for the Lakers.

If we manage to get Sheed with the MLE and w/Kobe signed he will most def come here cause we would be automatically awesome with both Marbury and Kobe. Then swing a deal with OH, Deke, and Trybanksi for a backup combo guard to a team that wants expring deals. Lets say Crawfard and Williams to the Knicks.

So we would be lookng at a roation of:
C Mohammed/Baker/Sweetney/Jerome Williams
PF Sheed/Baker/Sweetney/Jerome Williams
SF TT/Penny/Demarr/Anderson/Jerome Williams
SG Kobe/Crawfod/Penny/Demarr/Anderson
PG Marbury/Crawford

That is a hell of a team. If this not a titlebound team then I don't know what is.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/24/2004  3:32 AM
Phoenix has the cap room... and a bunch of young prospects. Thinking sign & trade, Marion + change for Kobe seems fair... perhaps including some euro combination of Zarko/Maceij/Vujanic and perhaps a sign-and-trade low salary McDyess.

It'd give the Lakers youth, potential, and with Marion, a guy who in some ways is better than Kobe (but overall, not so much). He's arguably a better defender/rebounder... and is perhaps more proficient from behind the arc. He puts up fairly comparable numbers, but does not have Kobe's organic feel for the game nor quite the versatility, so to make this trade isn't really outlandish.

I highly doubt the Lakers/Phil Jackson would be interested in Marbury or Houston. Phil Jackson has already experimented with one trick ponies (Glen Rice) and got tired of him quickly, thus Houston is out (besides, Rush is close enough).

We've seen the ineffectiveness of Gary Payton in Jackson's system... and I can't imagine Marbury doing any better... thus Marbury is out.

We've given up a whole bunch of prospects already... so really, what you see is what you get in terms of trading commodities. We're out of 1st rounders and young euro prospects to deal.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
3/24/2004  8:34 AM
Posted by technomaster:

Phoenix has the cap room... and a bunch of young prospects. Thinking sign & trade, Marion + change for Kobe seems fair... perhaps including some euro combination of Zarko/Maceij/Vujanic and perhaps a sign-and-trade low salary McDyess.

It'd give the Lakers youth, potential, and with Marion, a guy who in some ways is better than Kobe (but overall, not so much). He's arguably a better defender/rebounder... and is perhaps more proficient from behind the arc. He puts up fairly comparable numbers, but does not have Kobe's organic feel for the game nor quite the versatility, so to make this trade isn't really outlandish.

I highly doubt the Lakers/Phil Jackson would be interested in Marbury or Houston. Phil Jackson has already experimented with one trick ponies (Glen Rice) and got tired of him quickly, thus Houston is out (besides, Rush is close enough).

We've seen the ineffectiveness of Gary Payton in Jackson's system... and I can't imagine Marbury doing any better... thus Marbury is out.

We've given up a whole bunch of prospects already... so really, what you see is what you get in terms of trading commodities. We're out of 1st rounders and young euro prospects to deal.

i would'nt call rice a one trick pony. he was a big reason they won that first year. the only reason it did not work with rice, which is the same problem with payton right now, is he did not receive the amount of touches he thought he deserved. he was vocal with his opinion as with payton. the difference is houston is a team player who would be happy and adjust to any system and not make waves. the triangle offense would be great for him at this stage of his career. but if la is even thinking about trading kobe, other teams will give up a lot more to attain him than what we have. we know thomas will pursue intensely but to no avail. the only possible way is if kobe said that he wanted to only be traded to new york or else he will go to phoenix without any compensation for the lakers. i can't see that happening.
gunsnewing
USA
3/24/2004  1:19 PM
Houston/KT/Frank for Kobe. I really think this deal can get done when push comes to shove. Houston will fit in perfectly in the triangle because he can shot the ball. They could use Kurt Thomas and Frank Williams to replace Malone and Payton after they both retire.
ARES
Member: #406
3/24/2004  4:34 PM
Most stars say they want to play for New york but it's all bull, none of them ever do. Marbury is the only guy that meant it. kbe is too smart to say it.

this is on problem with this site
most of you guys are blind knick lovers. plenty of teams got more to offer than houston thomas and Frank. lets use the noggins
NEW YORK, NEW YORK BIG CITY OF DREAMS, BUT EVERYTHING IN NEW YORK AINT ALWAYS WHAT IT SEEMS
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/24/2004  5:13 PM
i dont know who made this up, what paper, but this has to be a leading bogus rumor of the year.

the knicks have no chance 0 nada none the big O of trading H2O who is going to be 33 going on 34 next year and suddenly very injury prone with a chronic knee problem and a 20MM $ price tag. He will be tradeable going into the 2nd to last year of his contract or more likely his last.

i think it is possible to trade stephon marbury for kobe, not likely but plausible. thats not a terrible trade off for the lakers.

RIP Crushalot😞
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
3/24/2004  7:12 PM
I have no clue why people say Houston is untradeable (in terms of contract). Howard Eisley was the most untradable player in the history of the NBA, then Isiah arrived and got rid of him in a few weeks.
gunsnewing
USA
3/25/2004  12:04 AM
you never know with these deals. Who's Denver giving up. Sure as hell isn't Melo. How about Camby, White, Miller? I don't think so. Now I could see him going to phoenix but only for Marion or Amare or Orlando for T-mac. I seriously think the Knicks have a shot and you can criticize the optimists all you want but you are just like everyone else..outside the lines without really being in on the scope.
Kobe Article (Good Reading Here)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy