[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kobe Article (Good Reading Here)
Author Thread
EWING33BXNY
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #625
USA
3/22/2004  2:41 PM
I think you guys will find this interesting. Would like your thoughts on this. No off the wall trade scenarios, just sensible thoughts.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerep22mar22,1,5299161.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Dave

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/22/2004  2:58 PM
from a basketball perspective I just dont see how we could get him via sign and trade (if LAL even would).

Kobe has lost a huge amound of money because of the rape trial. In terms of endorsements I believe he was the highest in the NBA. If he's innocent does just playing in NY get some/most of that money back? I doubt it but I dont know for sure... when Layden was here you would have thought we played in Iraq based on how desirable a place this was to play in. Does IT really change that? Rasheed publicly said he wanted to come here... he's the first guy since I dont know who thats actually said that.

Time will tell...
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
starbizzle
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #631
New Zealand
3/22/2004  3:01 PM
mike go fish a clue.... jordan's said it tons of times that he'd LOVE to be a knick.. in fact all the superstars love playing in the garden... its the most famous arena and u get paid like ur the most famous player who wouldnt wanna play for new york?
it aint marbury its STARBURY!
fishmike
USA
3/22/2004  3:05 PM
your right... its been a hot bed for every free agent enticing such star studded characters like Mike Doleac, Clarence Weatherspoon, Lee Nailon, Vin Baker, and of course Dikembe Mutombo. Amazing we didnt get any rings under LAyden.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/22/2004  3:06 PM
Bryant Weighs Options
By Tim Brown, Times Staff Writer

In case it hadn't been mentioned for a couple of hours, Kobe Bryant has said he will test NBA free agency this summer, a decision that could lead to some interesting moments during recesses at his sexual assault trial.

A little more than three months to freedom, Bryant on Sunday afternoon was his usual two hours early to Staples Center. Wearing gray sweats, a personal trainer and a security guard, he often shares the court with rehearsing Laker Girls, an anthem singer or two, wandering reporters and various technical folks.

But on this afternoon, he was foiled by the Clipper-to-Laker floor changeover, so he found other ways to maintain and accelerate his game, fractured this season by injury, distraction and circumstance, and now forklifts. He did eventually get his work in.

In the meantime, on the occasion of some New York musing that the Knicks had "talked internally" about possible methods of acquiring Bryant — New York being the destination many of Bryant's teammates have bet on for months, though that was before Isiah Thomas' makeover of the Knicks — it seemed sensible to review the suitors.

According to reports strewn from one end of the season to the other, the trail often following the Lakers' schedule, Bryant will go to the Knicks because it's New York, Philadelphia for Allen Iverson, Orlando for Tracy McGrady, Chicago because, well, Michael Jordan played there, Memphis because Jerry West is there or the Clippers because he'd be away from Phil Jackson, the triangle offense and Shaquille O'Neal and still be freeway close to the in-laws.

In the "Under Consideration Because of Potential Cap Space" division, Bryant has answered what-if questions about Atlanta, San Antonio, Denver, Utah and Phoenix, often with the same promise to consider every option. Two weeks ago, Bryant dismissed the Jazz because of his belief the organization was disrespectful toward Karl Malone. Malone has become a friend of Bryant's in a turbulent period in which Bryant has distanced himself from all but his closest acquaintances.

Bryant has said he would consider staying with the Lakers, though the guess among teammates — based on discussions with Bryant — is that he will leave.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
3/22/2004  3:08 PM
Posted by starbizzle:

mike go fish a clue.... jordan's said it tons of times that he'd LOVE to be a knick.. in fact all the superstars love playing in the garden... its the most famous arena and u get paid like ur the most famous player who wouldnt wanna play for new york?

bizzle, saying and actually doing are 2 different thing.
martin
USA
3/22/2004  3:14 PM
Posted by fishmike:

from a basketball perspective I just dont see how we could get him via sign and trade (if LAL even would).

Kobe has lost a huge amound of money because of the rape trial. In terms of endorsements I believe he was the highest in the NBA. If he's innocent does just playing in NY get some/most of that money back? I doubt it but I dont know for sure... when Layden was here you would have thought we played in Iraq based on how desirable a place this was to play in. Does IT really change that? Rasheed publicly said he wanted to come here... he's the first guy since I dont know who thats actually said that.

Time will tell...

I hear you on this. But it still boggles my mind that an athlete came come off of an $80M, $60M, $40M or even a $20M contract and not feel like he has to go to a team that can pay him the most money. If it were me I would be playing in the city or on the team with the right players. I just can't get over that mental hump.
fishmike
USA
3/22/2004  4:48 PM
because you dont live in their world. Money is such a status thing and so is being a money player. I mean if Kobe signed for 2 years with us for the MLE $10 mill (ish). Then we could give him $9 mill in year 3, then have full Bird rights to resign him for his 4th year for us. Lobe would have lost $21 mill with us (godforbid he got hurt and we dont resign him, then he lost $80 mill plus).

Either way $21 mill is $21 mill. Thats a lot of dinero.
martin
USA
3/22/2004  5:23 PM
Here's a question for everyone: Both Kobe and Weed are on the market this next summer and Kobe's case has yet to be decided. Each is willing to take the MLE. Who do you pursue?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/22/2004  5:29 PM
no brainer martin - it's kobe.

the more realistic trade la would entertain is kobe for marbury. would you guys do it? i would, in a heartbeat.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/22/2004  5:38 PM
like i said before. Kobe for Marbury + H20 + KT... I'll do in a second.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/22/2004  6:56 PM
cant do that trade because of the salary cap. there is only 1 trade that is feasible kobe for marbury straight up in a sign and trade it's plausible and i would do it in oh 5 seconds. if the lakers are forced with the possibility of losing bryant--marbury could be there best option in a sign and trade--mcgrady is no good because he makes the first tier max--someone else would have to be thrown in. but marbury does put us in the game for kobe--nothing else on the roster is even in the ball park
RIP Crushalot😞
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/22/2004  7:06 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Trade Marbury for Kobe? Nah man....I can't give up on him like that. Marbury although he's been here half a year he's put his heart into this team and to just dump him to get Kobe would be bad buusiness.

I say lets call Kobe's bluff and see if the dude would be serious about signing for the mid-level. He just might since Karl and Payton did for a year. Besides Kobe is Kobe and if he can't force a trade no one can. He forced a trade to LA before he became a player remember.

I don't like Kobe as a person....but his game is serious. Kobe and Marbury would present the best backcourt in the league....maybe ever. The Knicks already would have decent role-players around them. It would be sick.

Then again it's a stupid rumor that we are most likey wasting text on.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/22/2004  11:10 PM
Try looking at it from an LA perspective.

Kobe and shaq cannot play. Do you rid yourself of shaq and Jackson and commit to KOBE?

Malone is short term, but he can't be thrilled with Kobe, nor Payton. H20 is perfect for triange offense, but nobody in their right mond pays that kind of money for a nice jump shooter!

I can't stand Kobe, but If yah gotta do it, Marbury for KObeis attactive to both teams. I'd rather have Step than Iverson.

I think h20 and payton with Shaq and malone are very strong, but again its too much to pay allan, and Lakes are fiscally on the planet.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
3/22/2004  11:40 PM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Trade Marbury for Kobe? Nah man....I can't give up on him like that. Marbury although he's been here half a year he's put his heart into this team and to just dump him to get Kobe would be bad buusiness.

I say lets call Kobe's bluff and see if the dude would be serious about signing for the mid-level. He just might since Karl and Payton did for a year. Besides Kobe is Kobe and if he can't force a trade no one can. He forced a trade to LA before he became a player remember.

I don't like Kobe as a person....but his game is serious. Kobe and Marbury would present the best backcourt in the league....maybe ever. The Knicks already would have decent role-players around them. It would be sick.

Then again it's a stupid rumor that we are most likey wasting text on.
i feel you spree. although zeke is a shrewd businessman, he would'nt take a point gaurd that he's obviously particularly fond of, and has givin you the heart your team needed, and step on it.
kobe got stupid game, i'll give him that, but steph ain't going nowhere!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/23/2004  12:14 AM
I forgot to add Gary Payton to that. He can be a great mentor to Frank Williams for 1 year.

Steph/H20/KT for Kobe/Payton

Stevo718
Member: #559
3/23/2004  12:32 AM
I would never want Kobe on the Knicks, I just don't like the guy and everytime I would see him in a Knicks uniform I'd just be thinking Lakers in the back of my head, plus if we ever won it with Kobe Laker fans would never let us hear the end of it. In other words it wouldn't be the Knicks that won it, it would be Kobe, I just can't enjoy a championship like that.

Other players I would pass on:
Reggie Miller (even in his prime)
Shaq
Tim Hardaway
PJ Brown
Alonzo Mourning

... basically everyone we ever had beef with, I forgive but i don't forget. I guess history is just important to me.
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
3/23/2004  12:46 AM
Posted by Stevo718:

I would never want Kobe on the Knicks, I just don't like the guy and everytime I would see him in a Knicks uniform I'd just be thinking Lakers in the back of my head, plus if we ever won it with Kobe Laker fans would never let us hear the end of it. In other words it wouldn't be the Knicks that won it, it would be Kobe, I just can't enjoy a championship like that.

Shaq
Tim Hardaway
PJ Brown
Alonzo Mourning

... basically everyone we ever had beef with, I forgive but i don't forget. I guess history is just important to me.

I could not agree with you more!!!
All those guys I absolutely hate...
You can add Sam Cassell, Robert Hory, Mateen Cleaves, and a few others to that list...

Frankly... I hope Kobe is in stripes come this time next year.
If he's guilty of course...
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
3/23/2004  2:22 AM
Posted by Stevo718:

Shaq
Tim Hardaway
PJ Brown
Alonzo Mourning

Shaq came off of a game recently with 31 points, 26 rebounds, and 7 blocks against the bucks ... and Kobe hit the game winner in OT.

LAKERS SAY KOBE MAY SIGN HERE
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17492.htm

And according to this article, Houston for Kobe is possible and desirable ... sounds too good to be true.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/23/2004  7:05 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Good that nobody agreed on your sutpid Kobe for Steph + Houston! You seriously gotta start thinking about where we can find PG's as good as Marbury again?

Kobe can only score if given the ball and he isn't even a dominant big man! Steph can score and also give the ball and then get the ball back and score again.

Did I also mention he can score again, or act like he is going to score but then at the last second pass it off or he could just act like he is scoring, fake like he is passing and then just go ahead and score!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Kobe Article (Good Reading Here)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy