[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Rockets reach deal with Harden 5YRs/80 mil..WOW...
Author Thread
KnicksFE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3561

11/1/2012  1:47 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Lin wouldve been fine playing with prigs and kidd

No he wouldn't. He can't play off the ball.
Lin needs to dominate the ball alot to make plays. He's a high "usage" player, not necessarily in scoring, but in having the ball in his hands.

That's fine than Kidd play off the ball, since these days he can hardly get to the basket.

AUTOADVERT
earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
11/1/2012  1:49 PM
KnicksFE wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:Here is why and don't use me as a barometer...When I got to college and my handle wasn't "good enough", I knew I was done as a ball player...Because of all the ball you play and handling the ball is elementary and mastered at a very young age...Lin is in the Pros, nothing he does off court will simulate the amount of on court time he handles the ball...He is what he is as far as handle and ball control...

But my overall point if signing Lin would cost us 60 mil in flexibility then it isn't worth it...I think we are all seeing it...I would have love to have Lin back coming off the bench until he grows as a player...But he ran for the money and thats all good...Knicks won't miss a beat by not signing him...

You knew you were done as a ball player cause your handle wasn't good enough? You can improve every facet of your game though, I don't follow you. Lin showed he can improve his handle and improve going left, and he did it in the pros. And, he isn't even 100% healthy from his knee surgery yet - yes a long time, but still the truth.

Signing Lin gave us flexibility, not cost us. Due to the new CBA it is very hard, if not impossible, for us to improve our team. If we had retained Lin we would at least have had him as an asset. Remember, many of us were worried about Stat's knees and health. To let Lin go was stupid as far as insurance with offensive production should Stat go down. I don't even think it is fair to call him Stat, we should call him "Crack".

The only thing Lin would have cost us was money out of Dolans pocket. But his marketability, jersey sales, etc. would have more than made up for that imo. Judging by all the fans coming to see him, that seems true. Again, Dolans decision appears to have been personal.

What flexibility are you talking about? the Knicks are and will be over the cap with little flexibility going foward. Remember teams get penilized for being over the cap, so three years from now the Knicks will still pay luxury tax regardless, how much money you think Felton, Kidd, Novak or Camby are really costing the Knicks when you consider the luxury tax?

I wouldn't want us to trade Lin, but it would have brought us that flexibility - an asset and not just "zero". We got nothing. Now we have an injured Stat. We had little chance of getting by Miami with Stat, now, it just don't look good. Lin was an insurance here.

Luxury tax to a billionaire? That is like a $5 fine to me and you. You do realize Lin would pay for his salary just with all the business, shirts, new contracts, attention, etc. he brought the Knicks? AND, that tax that is being spoken of is 3 years down the road and isn't a Lin tax, it is on the whole team. The really terrible salary here is Stat and to an extent Melo's. Lots of possibilities between now and that 3rd year. You could always take a chance, get 2 years at a great price and hope to trade him in year 3 if you have to. We limited our upside to a championship and when you are this close you go all out. OKC is also taking a similar chance imo but they are not a big market team.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
KnicksFE
Member: #3561

11/1/2012  2:04 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
KnicksFE wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:Here is why and don't use me as a barometer...When I got to college and my handle wasn't "good enough", I knew I was done as a ball player...Because of all the ball you play and handling the ball is elementary and mastered at a very young age...Lin is in the Pros, nothing he does off court will simulate the amount of on court time he handles the ball...He is what he is as far as handle and ball control...

But my overall point if signing Lin would cost us 60 mil in flexibility then it isn't worth it...I think we are all seeing it...I would have love to have Lin back coming off the bench until he grows as a player...But he ran for the money and thats all good...Knicks won't miss a beat by not signing him...

You knew you were done as a ball player cause your handle wasn't good enough? You can improve every facet of your game though, I don't follow you. Lin showed he can improve his handle and improve going left, and he did it in the pros. And, he isn't even 100% healthy from his knee surgery yet - yes a long time, but still the truth.

Signing Lin gave us flexibility, not cost us. Due to the new CBA it is very hard, if not impossible, for us to improve our team. If we had retained Lin we would at least have had him as an asset. Remember, many of us were worried about Stat's knees and health. To let Lin go was stupid as far as insurance with offensive production should Stat go down. I don't even think it is fair to call him Stat, we should call him "Crack".

The only thing Lin would have cost us was money out of Dolans pocket. But his marketability, jersey sales, etc. would have more than made up for that imo. Judging by all the fans coming to see him, that seems true. Again, Dolans decision appears to have been personal.

What flexibility are you talking about? the Knicks are and will be over the cap with little flexibility going foward. Remember teams get penilized for being over the cap, so three years from now the Knicks will still pay luxury tax regardless, how much money you think Felton, Kidd, Novak or Camby are really costing the Knicks when you consider the luxury tax?

I wouldn't want us to trade Lin, but it would have brought us that flexibility - an asset and not just "zero". We got nothing. Now we have an injured Stat. We had little chance of getting by Miami with Stat, now, it just don't look good. Lin was an insurance here.

Luxury tax to a billionaire? That is like a $5 fine to me and you. You do realize Lin would pay for his salary just with all the business, shirts, new contracts, attention, etc. he brought the Knicks? AND, that tax that is being spoken of is 3 years down the road and isn't a Lin tax, it is on the whole team. The really terrible salary here is Stat and to an extent Melo's. Lots of possibilities between now and that 3rd year. You could always take a chance, get 2 years at a great price and hope to trade him in year 3 if you have to. We limited our upside to a championship and when you are this close you go all out. OKC is also taking a similar chance imo but they are not a big market team.

OKC traded Harden for a solid/good player (Martin), a good prospect (Jeremy Lamb) and two future first rounders which by the way one of them may be a lottery pick next year, who exactly did the Knicks traded Lin for?
My point is that the Knicks didn’t really save any money here, teams pay luxury tax for being over the cap not for a especific contract, the Knicks will pay tax for Kidd and Felton’s contract anyway.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/1/2012  2:05 PM
Rockets cap is 8mm per year. KNicks to match it was 5+5+15 cuz they under the cap.

They dont' view him as an allstar but he was worth 8mm to them easy.

Im disappoined he is not a knick. What done is done. KNicks failed anyway you look at it.

Osiris
Member: #4262

11/1/2012  2:28 PM
These comments are pretty funny if you want to crown Lin then crown him. I can't wait til he plays against the better guards in the league. He will get roasted with the turn style defense he uses. I mean really ,all the teams out west they might meet in the playoffs have better backcourts . One of the top guards will go unconscious for 50 on him at some point in the season.
3G4G
Member: #4333

11/1/2012  2:33 PM
Osiris wrote:These comments are pretty funny if you want to crown Lin then crown him. I can't wait til he plays against the better guards in the league. He will get roasted with the turn style defense he uses. I mean really ,all the teams out west they might meet in the playoffs have better backcourts . One of the top guards will go unconscious for 50 on him at some point in the season.

Hey Denny Green don't get mad because Lin isn't who you thought he was....

holfresh
Member: #1081

11/1/2012  3:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2012  3:49 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
AnubisADL wrote:Lin can lead a team? To a top lottery pick,yes.

I cant wait to see Lin go against Curry, Holiday, Lawson, Jennings, Paul, Williams, Dragic, Irving, etc.

We shall see what the excuse will be then.

*Waits for Harden to be blamed for making Lin play off the ball*

No guard can stop a top guard. It makes no sense even bringing it up. Shump is near as good as a guard can get defensively and on a given night he will get lit up. But that said, you look for a guard who can guard well and can score and distribute. Lin did all those things. And his defense was GREAT before he got burned out from playing so many minutes. I look forward to seeing how he plays in another month or so.

holfresh wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Knicks never offered him a contract.

For the hundredth time that was already covered in these pages....Under the new and old CBA, If Lin wanted more than 5 mil per, which he did, the Knicks could not offer him a contract...All Lin could do is go elsewhere and get an offer above the 5 mil per threshold so the Knicks could match that deal...Well he got a deal with a poison pill so the Knicks won't match it and we didn't match, call it ego...If some one is letting me know he doesn't want to play here then I won't play the role of a regected girlfriend either...I don't blame Dolan...He is not the only player that went elsewhere...Batum in Portland couldn't get an offer from his team...Hibbert couldn't get an offer from his team..Their teams had to wait from some to offer more than the minimum threshold to match...But Lin was the only one to sign onto a poison pill...

The Knicks should have offered him all they could. That is the basis for something not to mention respect. Lin never came out and said anything. Lin did what the Knicks asked him to do. Something is fishy there. And most of us suspect it was Dolan being pissed at Houston's second offer and not the money.

They could only offer 5 mil which they would have done but Lin wanted more...By rule he had to go elsewhere to get more..What is so difficult to understand..

You are looking at it purely as a numbers thing. I am saying there is the basis of communication and respect involved. The Knicks were eerily silent the whole way through. You can turn a business into a nice place to work or you can keep it purely business. Lin brought something more to the team and I think they should have responded in like.

How do you know this???.Are u his agent???..Do you know what and when communications occurred and not occur between his agent and MSG???..Did you not see the coaches efforts in LA to get Lin on board..Maybe Dolan should have a pillow for Lin's head if he decides lean back???

What's even more insane is that Knick fans who call themselves Lin supporters are piss the Knicks didn't do all they can to thwart Lin's effort to leave New York...They are upset the Knicks didn't force Lin to do something he didn't want to do which is stay in NY...You claim to have his best interest at heart...The biggest so called Lin fans are pissed the Knicks didn't block him from doing what he wants to do...Good effort!!!

It's like having a girlfriend who tells u I want to leave you and u say no, I know whats good for you..It better if u stay with me...

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/1/2012  3:55 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Amare and Melo make 20mil each. Dont want to hear and the cap. We have no flexibility with or without Lin

Lin isn't on their level...

You mean Lin is healthy and has a brain, respectfully? And Lin can actually lead a team and make his team mates better? Guess you are right, he isn't at their level. He is on a higher level.

+1 trillion
holfresh

11/1/2012  4:03 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Amare and Melo make 20mil each. Dont want to hear and the cap. We have no flexibility with or without Lin

You mean Lin is healthy and has a brain, respectfully? And Lin can actually lead a team and make his team mates better? Guess you are right, he isn't at their level. He is on a higher level.

+1 trillion

No, I mean Lin is PG and have problems dribbling the ball up court, he can't go left or has trouble defending, has never played a full season in the NBA, Mario Charlmers and Norris Cole can shut him down when those two clowns can't come close to doing the same to Melo and Amare..That's what I mean not being on the same level...

Bonn1997
USA
11/1/2012  4:10 PM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:

+1 trillion

No, I mean Lin is PG and have problems dribbling the ball up court, he can't go left or has trouble defending, has never played a full season in the NBA, Mario Charlmers and Norris Cole can shut him down when those two clowns can't come close to doing the same to Melo and Amare..That's what I mean not being on the same level...

that doesn't sound so bad compared to Mr. 470
earthmansurfer
Germany
11/1/2012  4:17 PM
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

I cant wait to see Lin go against Curry, Holiday, Lawson, Jennings, Paul, Williams, Dragic, Irving, etc.

No guard can stop a top guard. It makes no sense even bringing it up. Shump is near as good as a guard can get defensively and on a given night he will get lit up. But that said, you look for a guard who can guard well and can score and distribute. Lin did all those things. And his defense was GREAT before he got burned out from playing so many minutes. I look forward to seeing how he plays in another month or so.

holfresh wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

For the hundredth time that was already covered in these pages....Under the new and old CBA, If Lin wanted more than 5 mil per, which he did, the Knicks could not offer him a contract...All Lin could do is go elsewhere and get an offer above the 5 mil per threshold so the Knicks could match that deal...Well he got a deal with a poison pill so the Knicks won't match it and we didn't match, call it ego...If some one is letting me know he doesn't want to play here then I won't play the role of a regected girlfriend either...I don't blame Dolan...He is not the only player that went elsewhere...Batum in Portland couldn't get an offer from his team...Hibbert couldn't get an offer from his team..Their teams had to wait from some to offer more than the minimum threshold to match...But Lin was the only one to sign onto a poison pill...

The Knicks should have offered him all they could. That is the basis for something not to mention respect. Lin never came out and said anything. Lin did what the Knicks asked him to do. Something is fishy there. And most of us suspect it was Dolan being pissed at Houston's second offer and not the money.

They could only offer 5 mil which they would have done but Lin wanted more...By rule he had to go elsewhere to get more..What is so difficult to understand..

You are looking at it purely as a numbers thing. I am saying there is the basis of communication and respect involved. The Knicks were eerily silent the whole way through. You can turn a business into a nice place to work or you can keep it purely business. Lin brought something more to the team and I think they should have responded in like.

How do you know this???.Are u his agent???..Do you know what and when communications occurred and not occur between his agent and MSG???..Did you not see the coaches efforts in LA to get Lin on board..Maybe Dolan should have a pillow for Lin's head if he decides lean back???

What's even more insane is that Knick fans who call themselves Lin supporters are piss the Knicks didn't do all they can to thwart Lin's effort to leave New York...They are upset the Knicks didn't force Lin to do something he didn't want to do which is stay in NY...You claim to have his best interest at heart...The biggest so called Lin fans are pissed the Knicks didn't block him from doing what he wants to do...Good effort!!!

It's like having a girlfriend who tells u I want to leave you and u say no, I know whats good for you..It better if u stay with me...

There were reports that the Knicks did not reach out to Lin during his restricted free agency period. The only meeting was the one at a restaurant or the like with Melo, Chandler and coach I think.
No I am not his agent. Are you Dolans lawyer?

Neither of us really know what occurred regarding communication. But you can't assume it was good, cause there is certainly no evidence at all for that. I don't think you are his agent either. Though as Dolans lawyer you might have some good information to share with the group. But, I have the terrible history of the Knicks under Dolan to fall back on. We can throw his buddy Isiah into the mix as well. This is business as usual for the Knicks. History is on our side. Giving big contracts to one shot wonders and such, and letting players go who helped turn the franchise around.

The Knicks didn't even make a good will gesture to keep the kid here. You don't treat players like that. You make a good effort. None of us saw that. If PR is important to the Knicks, and you know it is with Dolan running things, we would have heard if they were making an effort.

Many of us called the ticket office and let it be known to resign Lin. I did and when I called I asked if others had and the man said quite a few called expressing the same thing. But, all the proof that Dolan needed was seeing the affect Lin had on NY. And go over to the Rockets board, as he is doing it there too. The owner simply said F'U to us fans.

Your analogy is a bit off on a few levels.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
11/1/2012  4:20 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:

+1 trillion

That does sound bad actually. Mr. 470 is only .31 percentage points to being a winning Knick and then some.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

11/1/2012  4:20 PM
My question is will people except numbers and games like Lin played last night from Felton? He had games like that in the pre-season with lower TOs and people were clowning him.
holfresh

11/1/2012  4:22 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

holfresh wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

There were reports that the Knicks did not reach out to Lin during his restricted free agency period. The only meeting was the one at a restaurant or the like with Melo, Chandler and coach I think.

Neither of us really know what occurred regarding communication. But you can't assume it was good, cause there is certainly no evidence at all for that. I don't think you are his agent either. Though as Dolans lawyer you might have some good information to share with the group. But, I have the terrible history of the Knicks under Dolan to fall back on. We can throw his buddy Isiah into the mix as well. This is business as usual for the Knicks. History is on our side. Giving big contracts to one shot wonders and such, and letting players go who helped turn the franchise around.

The Knicks didn't even make a good will gesture to keep the kid here. You don't treat players like that. You make a good effort. None of us saw that. If PR is important to the Knicks, and you know it is with Dolan running things, we would have heard if they were making an effort.

Many of us called the ticket office and let it be known to resign Lin. I did and when I called I asked if others had and the man said quite a few called expressing the same thing. But, all the proof that Dolan needed was seeing the affect Lin had on NY. And go over to the Rockets board, as he is doing it there too. The owner simply said F'U to us fans.

Again, how do u know this..Saying you didn't read it in the press isn't a good answer...Lin didn't want to be here...Believe it or not...he didn't like your team...He didn't think you were the bestest ever!!!!

earthmansurfer
Germany
11/1/2012  4:28 PM
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

holfresh wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Again, how do u know this..Saying you didn't read it in the press isn't a good answer...Lin didn't want to be here...Believe it or not...he didn't like your team...He didn't think you were the bestest ever!!!!

The writing was on the wall, so to speak.

As far as Lin, you are saying things that his comments actually suggest to otherwise. So you have actual evidence via Lin's comments, that you were calling for regarding communication between the Knicks and Lin and yet you can claim otherwise (that Lin didn't want to be here)? When will it end?

earthmansurfer
Germany
11/1/2012  4:32 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:My question is will people except numbers and games like Lin played last night from Felton? He had games like that in the pre-season with lower TOs and people were clowning him.

I really hope we can look at both players both based on both their numbers AND based on how they look out there. I know Feltons game as far as watching him play a lot when he was here. I can safely say I take Lin over him every day of the week and twice on Sundays. And I like Felton. Considering we let Lin go for basically Felton, most of us are expecting
at least that level of play from Felton. I mean after all, this is about winning the championship.

holfresh

11/1/2012  4:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2012  4:38 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

holfresh wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

The writing was on the wall, so to speak.

As far as Lin, you are saying things that his comments actually suggest to otherwise. So you have actual evidence via Lin's comments, that you were calling for regarding communication between the Knicks and Lin and yet you can claim otherwise (that Lin didn't want to be here)? When will it end?

OH, how could I have missed the writing on the wall thingee....What are u talking about, comments??..I'm not the one claiming anything happened..I'm saying you have no proof the Knicks didn't make a good will gesture to have him back...

He signed a contract with a poison pill..What other evidence do u need...I just hope u made it through life ok...If u get VD and u have one girlfriend/sexual partner..Guess what?!?!?!?...

earthmansurfer
Germany
11/1/2012  4:45 PM
Lin stated many times he wanted to be here - those comments. No offer was made, that is the proof of no good will gesture. If I am the owner I am going all out to let this Kid know we want him back. I'm on TV, I'm attending games and I am talking with him. That never happened.

No, he signed a contract that was offered. Poison pill is a matter of perspective. Dolan is a billionaire, it was more like a stomach discomfort pill.

Why do you keep trying with these boyfriend girlfriend analogies, or is it now an actual piece of wisdom from you? ehehehehh Thanks though, I'm here with no VD. I am still a bit pissed at Dolan. Hopefully we have some fun play out there with the new guys and we can get off the Lin thing.

Bonn1997
USA
11/1/2012  4:47 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
holfresh wrote:

+1 trillion

That does sound bad actually. Mr. 470 is only .31 percentage points to being a winning Knick and then some.

Yeah, my grandmother's also only two testicles away from being my grandfather!

holfresh

11/1/2012  4:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2012  4:50 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:Lin stated many times he wanted to be here - those comments. No offer was made, that is the proof of no good will gesture. If I am the owner I am going all out to let this Kid know we want him back. I'm on TV, I'm attending games and I am talking with him. That never happened.

No, he signed a contract that was offered. Poison pill is a matter of perspective. Dolan is a billionaire, it was more like a stomach discomfort pill.

Why do you keep trying with these boyfriend girlfriend analogies, or is it now an actual piece of wisdom from you? ehehehehh Thanks though, I'm here with no VD. I am still a bit pissed at Dolan. Hopefully we have some fun play out there with the new guys and we can get off the Lin thing.

Seriously, do you understand the Knicks could not offer him a contract??..also, I think Lin is full of shet...

Rockets reach deal with Harden 5YRs/80 mil..WOW...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy