[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jamal Crawford/Jerome Williams; Chris Anderson
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
3/15/2004  11:59 PM
I recently wrote an article for NYKbasketball.com (http://www.allsports.com/nba/knicks/031404.html) and I wanted to know what everyone thought of
a) the Knicks trading Harrington/Trybanski/Mutumbo for Crawford/JYD
and
b) signing Chris Anderson to a small part of the MLE.

The explanations are in the article, martin and andrew I don't mean to draw people from the site I just wanted to get a feedback on what everyone thought of those deals.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/16/2004  1:18 AM
I guess a big part of it is how much Chicago wants to get rid of Crawford. Stephen Smith (the Chicago Tribune writer) has been writing smack about Crawford for over a year. Toward the end of last year, Crawford was looking like a real player, averaging 20+ppg/6+apg/6+rpg... and all Smith would write was, "trade him now while his value is high..."

The should do this deal in a heartbeat if offered, no doubt in my mind. It's like getting something for nothing. I don't see Chicago being dumb enough to seriously consider such a deal w/o draft picks involved (unfortunately, the Knicks don't have any for a while).

As far as Chris Anderson goes, his numbers project roughly as high as Camby's when stretched to 30+mpg. HOWEVER... as I've stated in various threads, it seems like every 15mpg backup center and their mom can average nearly a double-double given the minutes. He's a great shot blocker and energy player, no doubt... but he also has no polish to his offensive game (no J, no post-up moves)... thus wouldn't be a good candidate for extended minutes.

Besides, we're hoping on using the MLE on Rasheed.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/16/2004  12:36 PM
nice job.. I think its very good, very realistic. I think Sweetney is a bench player for a couple years but thats OK. I love Mikes game but right now he's best suited to play behind the veteran. Either way I think after a couple years he could start at the 4 for us and stay there for 10 years.

I love Jerome, and think he would be a PERFECT fit for our team. He can defend both forward spots and is one of the NBAs best rebounders.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/16/2004  6:31 PM
Crawford is a nice player, but you would be better off just trying to buy him for the mle if thats the way you want to go. I think taking on Jerome Williams in a sign and trade is to much since we took on hardaway and norris. All Andersen is is a garbage man back up PF--kind of like a poor man's Camby, but Sweetney is already perfect for that position+10* more skilled.

There are a bunch of options out there--the only option I see that is viable for taking on salary is the C position--nothing else.
RIP Crushalot😞
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
3/16/2004  9:44 PM
i'll leave the criticism aside and just mention that the Knicks don't have both 2nd rounders this year anymore. One of those (Houston's) was dealt in the Nazr-Doleac trade.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
BRIGGS
3/16/2004  10:15 PM
no, that was a 2005 2nd rounder for nazr fwiw

im sorry but jerome williams jamal crawford and chris andersen aren't going to do anything for this ballclub.

what the ballclub needed was a complete rebuild--now stuck in a conudrum--the only practical choice is to do whatever you need to do to bring a young C in here. This team may need a semi-rebuild--where they can go to the lottery next year and somehow pull off a trade into the draft this year
RIP Crushalot😞
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
3/16/2004  10:42 PM
Yea...the 2nd rounder was for 2005.

There never was any official annoucement that Houston's 2nd rounder goes to the Knicks for letting JVG go early. I don't think we own it.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/17/2004  2:06 AM
At this point we can't rebuild at all. They must go with what they got and hope to steal talent. Besides, what do you want to rebuild to? We already have Marbury (26), TT(27), Mohammed(27), Sweetney and FW who are 1 and 2nd year players, DeMarr Johsnson as a longterm project. Thomas is not that old either. Baker is 32, he's got 4 more good years left at least. Houston and Deke appear to be done. We need to find a SG. That's why the Crawfard trade is good. Cris Anderson is a good pickup if you don't have Baker next year. If you still have all the guys upfront that we have now Anderson is not needed. Don't get me wrong here, a rebuild would have been fine before the Dyess trade. From that point on there was no way back for 5-6 years. Now there is not even an itsy bitsy opportunity to rebuild. You simply can't built w/out picks and with so much long term contracts.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
BRIGGS
3/17/2004  10:19 AM
the team has more than 1 need. the need isn't williams chris andersen or really jamal crawford. yes we definitely need to act upon finding another 2G, but not at the cost of taking on so much salary for crawford.

we're not going to rebuild, but if they analyze the team, they will realize that we are defecient defensively-especially in the post.

we need a c thats our number 1 need followed by a solid 6th man who can start 2G if needed and an upgrade at PG.

we will be able to find a good young 2G and back up PG on the cheap. If we are going to do something expensive, it has to be inthe post.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/17/2004  11:06 AM
"we will be able to find a good young 2G and back up PG on the cheap. If we are going to do something expensive, it has to be inthe post."

This is one I really agree on. I think our goal the next or event two is aquire enough assets to do another Marbury trade in 2 year for a post player. wing players are much easier to come by. In two year Marbury will be 28. I would look to package Penny's expiring deal along with a pick and prospect for a bigtime post player.

Another option is overpaying but trading for Chris Wilcox. Unless LAC is having second thoughts about Brand we could really use Wilcox. He's a superior athlete, and defender. His offense is raw but getting better.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/17/2004  12:52 PM
And stop saying we don't have a first round pick for a while, we are not the wolves we didn't forfeit our next 4 first round picks, we just gave up this years and 1 we control for the next 7 years, we can't trade next years pick, but we can pick for that team and then trade the rights to that pick if I am not mistaken....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
3/17/2004  10:27 PM
good thought in paulding smooth. he can jump out of the gym, and has a nice 'j'. also keep your eye on josh childress. 6'8, can handle the ball, athletic, nice outside shot. nba swing man. only problem is he needs some more weight at i think 180pounds. oh, almost forgot, he blocks about 2 shots a game at the three spot.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/18/2004  12:38 AM
I don't undertand the concern with overpaying. We are over cap forever, so why bother worrying about it. We can take on as many bad contracts as possible if we can get quality along with them. I don't really care about how thick Dolans' wallet is.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/18/2004  2:38 AM
The only problem with overpaying is that after a certain point, we won't have any tradable players. You look at players like Houston and think there's no way to get rid of this guy! We're stuck with Shandon... like forever.

Same will go for Marbury. When he's earning 20million/yr... he'll be awfully hard to move. A team in contention will have to ship over a whole lot of expiring poop to take him (see what Atlanta took from Detroit to dump Rasheed).

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Jamal Crawford/Jerome Williams; Chris Anderson

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy