[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

what about Kurt Thomas now????
Author Thread
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

3/14/2004  7:06 PM
i havent been able to watch any games since the allstar break due to my MSG being blocked out.. but i watched todays game on ABC

everybody had been killin KT... im seein all these KT sucks posts

well if you ask me, kurts defense and intensity sparked that comeback, he started the surge, played really well

u need guys like kurt on your team, he might not be a star but i like his game, please dont put him along side shandon(god he sucks, yet another wonderful game of missed layups, out of control drives and turnovers.. someone cut this plague of a player)
AUTOADVERT
jhferry
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #447
3/14/2004  7:44 PM
KT missed that runner on the break in the clutch.

Hes not what we need in our starting 4.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/14/2004  7:48 PM
Kurt's intensity did spark that comeback.

The only thing we dont need are his technicals. Especially when the one he got today was over a call which was clearly the right one.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
3/14/2004  8:57 PM
Posted by Elite:

i havent been able to watch any games since the allstar break due to my MSG being blocked out.. but i watched todays game on ABC

everybody had been killin KT... im seein all these KT sucks posts

well if you ask me, kurts defense and intensity sparked that comeback, he started the surge, played really well

u need guys like kurt on your team, he might not be a star but i like his game, please dont put him along side shandon(god he sucks, yet another wonderful game of missed layups, out of control drives and turnovers.. someone cut this plague of a player)
he definitely is a good player, i personally won't argue with that logic. but the big 'if' is, that he does'nt fit well with the system. he'd fit well with the lakers, with the spurs, and even dallas. not that any of those teams need him, but he does.
we're trying to create a faster, more athletic team, kt ain't the sky high/above the rim type. besides, sweets fits in better due to the fact that he's younger, and in my eyes will be much better in the near future. i know kt did spark that run w/the blks, but sweets did avg about 3/4 blks in college. you'll see soon.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/14/2004  9:13 PM
Kurt played great... so much better than his numbers. Thats exactly what you need from him. Kudos to Kurt... about freakin time :)
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/14/2004  9:17 PM
The key to keeping KT effective is to keep his minutes in the 25-30 range. Any more than that, and his weaknesses are exposed.
NYK8
Member: #320
USA
3/14/2004  10:09 PM
yeah i agree his minutes have to be spread out right to have the same defensive intensity thru out the game,night in and night out we got enuff PF to back him up in case of foul trouble.
!!!Knicks!!!
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
3/15/2004  1:24 AM
Posted by Rich:

The key to keeping KT effective is to keep his minutes in the 25-30 range. Any more than that, and his weaknesses are exposed.

yup kt is a good bench player-shouldnt be starter on a legit team
Yes! - Marv Albert
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
3/15/2004  1:41 AM
KT turned into a defensive monster the second half of this last game against the bucks. He had some sweet blocks! was in the lane guarding and actually showed some real effort.
With that said... He stunk it up something bad the first half.
That Technical was absurd and only put us further in the hole.
He needs to show intensity and control for the entire span of his playing time on the court.
Inensity and Control...
Hopefully he steps it up for this playoff push...
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/15/2004  2:46 AM
Kurt Thomas is a very solid starting PF because he's a fairly complete player, with no major deficiencies. While very good at a lot of skills, he's great at none of them. He's not a dominating rebounder, post up player, shooter, passer, or shotblocker. He's not a great athlete either. At the same time, he's usually not a liability.

His best overall asset is his defense. He's a very good man-to-man defender; also very good as a help defender. It's this skill that makes him hugely valuable on the Knicks, and as an asset on other teams.

His biggest weakness is his tendency to lose his cool in stretches and grab some technicals. Over the years, he's gotten better at controlling himself.

You look at the other Knick big men, and they all have more glaring holes in their games. Mutombo is a superior shotblocker and rebounder, but his man-to-man defense has been fading with age... and his offensive skills have become more mechanical--- not to mention he can't catch.

Harrington's jump shot is spotty, as is his defense.

Mohammed has no perimeter/midrange game on offense. He's potentially better rebounder (at least it seems that way).

Sweetney looks like he has the makings of an excellent rebounder and perhaps defender. I'm not sure about his offensive game. Overall, his game lacks the polish of KT's... but he's got great upside.

Vin Baker, at his best... was better at nearly every facet of the game compared to KT--- rightly so--- early on, he was considered a top-5, and arguably a top 4 PF (along w/ Karl Malone, Derrick Coleman, Shawn Kemp, and Barkley!). Now... who knows what he has left.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

3/15/2004  2:51 AM
Posted by technomaster:

Kurt Thomas is a very solid starting PF because he's a fairly complete player, with no major deficiencies. While very good at a lot of skills, he's great at none of them. He's not a dominating rebounder, post up player, shooter, passer, or shotblocker. He's not a great athlete either. At the same time, he's usually not a liability.

His best overall asset is his defense. He's a very good man-to-man defender; also very good as a help defender. It's this skill that makes him hugely valuable on the Knicks, and as an asset on other teams.

His biggest weakness is his tendency to lose his cool in stretches and grab some technicals. Over the years, he's gotten better at controlling himself.

You look at the other Knick big men, and they all have more glaring holes in their games. Mutombo is a superior shotblocker and rebounder, but his man-to-man defense has been fading with age... and his offensive skills have become more mechanical--- not to mention he can't catch.

Mohammed has no perimeter/midrange game on offense. He's potentially better rebounder (at least it seems that way).

Sweetney looks like he has the makings of an excellent rebounder and perhaps defender. I'm not sure about his offensive game. Overall, his game lacks the polish of KT's... but he's got great upside.

Vin Baker, at his best... was better at nearly every facet of the game compared to KT--- rightly so--- early on, he was considered a top-5, and arguably a top 4 PF (along w/ Karl Malone, Derrick Coleman, Shawn Kemp, and Barkley!). Now... who knows what he has left.

good post man, kurt is a good player, not great, but damn good, i think baker will be suprisingly good.. i havent seen enuff of mohammid, but sweetney seems like he is really going to be great, i could tell the first time i saw him in the pre-season game i went to, he had the nack for the ball and was agressive at the right moments... Othella to me used to be better he has fallin off i dont like him on the court.. deke's defence is worth puttin him in during certain stretches cuz he can change the game but we all know about his downsides
BrilliantTruth
Member: #622
3/15/2004  11:26 AM
Posted by technomaster:

I love it. One of the most logical posts I've ever read here. Many people should learn from you.

Speaking of Sweetney, I think if he could bulk up just a lil bit more.. lose some weight still of course... he could be a true baller.
I wouldve peed my pants if he had made that one layup where he faked the shot, took a dribble, spun around somebody, then layed it up. That was surprisingly agile... imagine if he had the power to just break through that last defender?
Wanted: Patience and Brilliance
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/15/2004  12:24 PM
Kurts problem is he really isnt a skilled basketball player. He's the ultimate hustle player and hustler. He's got a nice bad of tricks on defense. He's got a good midrange jumper, and plays tough and physical. He's got no post scoring game, cant handle the ball and is barely and average passer.

Kurt's biggest problem is the last few years we have needed a starting center, a scoring PF, a shotblocker, a low post scorer, an athletic foward and a playmaker in the post.

To give Kurt credit he's lost weight and worked hard to be everyone of those things, the problem is he just isnt any of them.

HOWEVER...
if you reduce Kurts role to run around like a nut, hustle his ass off, play tough physical D, and hit a couple open jumpers on pick and roll plays Kurt will be such a valuable piece to this team.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/15/2004  1:21 PM
For the first time in months...KT played with fire. Now if only he can do it every single game, i'll respect him a lot more.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
3/15/2004  1:34 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

For the first time in months...KT played with fire. Now if only he can do it every single game, i'll respect him a lot more.

Makes you wonder what exactly Lenny said at halftime.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
EWING33BXNY
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #625
USA
3/15/2004  1:41 PM
Lenny probably said something to the effect that ever since the new contract his game has been "#$%". Thats just my .02
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/15/2004  8:32 PM
Posted by jhferry:

KT missed that runner on the break in the clutch.

Hes not what we need in our starting 4.

I love posts like these. I guess one bad play deserves a fairly uninformative post.

Thomas brings heart, post D, 15-18 foot face-the-basket jump shots, pick-and-roll capability, intensity, aggression, team D participation, a non-soft player mentality.

Thomas ain't no all-star PF. Period. He is grounded. Sometimes he is nutty and more often then is necessary he commits dumb plays. Nothing spectacular here but he brings the pail to work every day. Pinky messed up? Doesn't matter. Kurt is Oak's long-lost little brother.

Seriously, would everyone prefer 30 or so games of Camby's highflying act or 80 of Kurt? Doesn't even come close in my mind. Since Camby has come into the league (drafted #2) he has not improved one single aspect of his game. I would argue that Kurt has gotten better in many areas and has shown dedication year in and year out. (man, Camby bashing all of a sudden, had to get it out of me)

And to be sure, the missed layup was the fault of Marbury for giving Kurt the ball in the first place. Marb should have kept it himself.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/15/2004  11:49 PM
KT is exatlcy like Oak. Did we ever let Oak shoot in the 4th or 3th for that matter? NO!!! Was Oak bad because of that? NO!!! So just stop giving Kurt shots in the clutch. Then he'll stop lookin bad. You have TT, Marbs, Houston, Penny, at least 4 guys able to take the big shot. Why force KT into doing something he is not meant for?
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
NYK8
Member: #320
USA
3/16/2004  12:50 AM
Now,but not in the summer.i say sign n trade to det. for R.Wallace.Thomas would fit well with B.Wallace,we could also throw in F.Williams he needs to start ova else where n has a better shot to compete with Billups and it will also relieve him from the NY presure.then bring back Ward to make Houston happy n cut Moochie.
!!!Knicks!!!
what about Kurt Thomas now????

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy