[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sweetney down 17 pounds since camp...
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/7/2004  9:07 PM
anther good game.. he's growing by the minute. We saw this with Zach Randolf last year. Last year over 76 games he average 8 points and 4 boards, but was a 20/10 player in the postseason because he simply outplayed everyone on his team. Sweet is still a ways from that but with Harrington's issues and Kurts foul trouble he's getting more minutes and the vets should watch out, because at this rate their minutes wont be there anymore.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
3/7/2004  9:22 PM
good game for sweets. he's got to keep this up
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
3/7/2004  11:57 PM
Sweetney could very well be a ZR in a few seasons. As determined as he is ...
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/8/2004  1:13 AM
I heard that on MSG. Imagine how good he will be when he is buffed.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
3/8/2004  4:27 AM
Posted by Rich:

Wow. Really makes you reconsider some of the things you've said and typed... kid gets thrown into the Garden in his Rookie season, and his pop dies during training camp. And all we could do was complain about his weight.

Glad to see him get going.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
Rich
USA
3/8/2004  6:12 AM
Posted by TRU:
Posted by Rich:

Wow. Really makes you reconsider some of the things you've said and typed... kid gets thrown into the Garden in his Rookie season, and his pop dies during training camp. And all we could do was complain about his weight.

Glad to see him get going.

I assume that you are using the collective "you." I have stood by Sweetney. My problem has been with Layden and Chaney for not giving the kid PT, since almost every other high draft choice has been contributing to his team since Day 1, while Sweetney was stuck on IR.

Fortunately, Isiah decided the kid can play, because I have no confidence that Layden would have put him on the court this season.

Isola has an interesting article on the instruction that Sweetney is receiving:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/171410p-149571c.html

TRU
USA
3/8/2004  7:54 AM
Posted by Rich:

I assume that you are using the collective "you." I have stood by Sweetney. My problem has been with Layden and Chaney for not giving the kid PT, since almost every other high draft choice has been contributing to his team since Day 1, while Sweetney was stuck on IR.

Fortunately, Isiah decided the kid can play, because I have no confidence that Layden would have put him on the court this season.

Isola has an interesting article on the instruction that Sweetney is receiving:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/171410p-149571c.html

Oh, Hell yeah-- I was just making general commentary. From this side of Sweetney's development, seems like some of us were a little harsh (we called him FatSweets, for godsake). I don't know if I could get anything done for months if I lost my pop when I was in my early 20s, much less adjust to my rookie season in New York, of all places.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
jazz74
Member: #371
3/8/2004  8:20 AM
i did not see the game but heard it on wfan. they were raving about how quick he was and how high he jumped. i remember the scouting report last year saying sweetney can move faster than he looks. but i thought he did not have any ups. was he really that athletic yesterday or were they exaggerating?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/8/2004  9:00 AM

Mcdyss and Fatspoon were ahead of him on the chart. His pops passing and not getting in the work had a lot to do with it.

Good news! Isiah got my car insurance lowered. Chaney and Laydog would never had done that!

Thanks Isiah!
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/8/2004  2:14 PM
It's not necessarily that Sweetney has fantastic "ups," but the fact is he times his leaps well, so essentially he will out jump others to the ball.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/8/2004  2:54 PM
To be honest, I was more excited about Maciej than I was about Sweets. But now sweets is continuing to impress me. The kid looks like he may be a monster in a couple years. Keep up the good work.
s3231
Member: #544
USA
3/8/2004  6:35 PM
I have always known that Sweentey was althetic, but when I was watching the Raptors game and Marbury tried a layup that missed, Sweetney came out of no where and alley-oop dunked it back in. That play surprised me.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
3/8/2004  7:39 PM
Posted by VDesai:

It's not necessarily that Sweetney has fantastic "ups," but the fact is he times his leaps well, so essentially he will out jump others to the ball.

True. Sweetney has good instincts and, from the propaganda I've read, is learning quickly as well.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
3/8/2004  10:31 PM
if sweetney can do 80% of what he did in college, he has'nt even scratched the surface. he has skills!
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

3/8/2004  10:36 PM
Sweetney was a man among boys in college, so just look at him as a promising freshmen in the NBA. In 3 more yrs he will blossom into the college guy we say at georgetown. Thanks Layden!
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
3/8/2004  10:49 PM
Posted by playa2:

Sweetney was a man among boys in college, so just look at him as a promising freshmen in the NBA. In 3 more yrs he will blossom into the college guy we say at georgetown. Thanks Layden!
as much as i hate to say it due to the fact that i hate him but here it goes...sweetney was shakish in college. there i said it! he reminded me of what shak would have been like had he had game in college accept w/out the mouth and stupid comments. overpowered anyone and everyone. guys had to foul him. hopefully noone forgets' I HATE SHAK! love sweets, HATE SHAK.
thanks layden! at least you did something right. peace beeeeaaach!
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
3/9/2004  12:35 AM
Still think the jury's out on Sweets, but if this good play isn't because of bad teams or something else, we could have something. I didn't like the pick originally because I thought he was too short, but if he can board consistently like he has been, we might not even have to get held up for underserved millions by KT.
Rich
USA
3/9/2004  2:43 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/16924.htm

Lenny Wilkens said rookie power forward Mike Sweetney will be in rotation rest of way following his career-high 10 rebounds Sunday.

"I'm not apprehensive about putting him in the game," Wilkens said. "I'd say he's going to be part of that." . . . Kurt Thomas said he will sign four-year contract extension tomorrow or Thursday.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/9/2004  3:57 AM
Sweetney has shown some promise over the past 10 games or so, even when we where loosing. The training staff is really working him. This just goes to show what a difference it makes to actually have real player development personel hired by a real GM. Last time we developed anybody? I don't remember any such thing.

Best case scenario Sweetney continues to get in better shape, and get more and more minutes, then blows up in the playoffs like Randolph did last year. More realistic scenario is him taking up all the mintues at backup 4 and 5 and pushing his average of the bench to something like 8pts and 6brds and 1blk a game.

[Edited by - simrud on 03/09/2004 03:58:47]
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
TRU
USA
3/9/2004  6:17 AM
Posted by simrud:

Sweetney has shown some promise over the past 10 games or so, even when we where loosing. The training staff is really working him. This just goes to show what a difference it makes to actually have real player development personel hired by a real GM. Last time we developed anybody? I don't remember any such thing.

Best case scenario Sweetney continues to get in better shape, and get more and more minutes, then blows up in the playoffs like Randolph did last year. More realistic scenario is him taking up all the mintues at backup 4 and 5 and pushing his average of the bench to something like 8pts and 6brds and 1blk a game.

[Edited by - simrud on 03/09/2004 03:58:47]

Why am I always the one that has to say this?

The dude has 67 career NBA points. His development is way behind the other top ten picks (excluding the second pick, of course). I'm not saying he's a bum, or that he won't do all of the wonderful things some of you are suddenly excited that he'll do, but please-- use some common sense before you give him the rookie of the year award.

Sheesh-- you guys are so reactionary sometimes. Use some perspective... act like you've seen more than 5 basketball games in your lives...
Sweetney down 17 pounds since camp...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy