MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/5/2004  9:45 PM
Bob Wischusen
My not-so-bold prediction: Knicks are in

Feb 24, 2004

The Knicks are going to the playoffs. In the Western Conference, it would be a different story. But the Knicks play in the East and if you stack up the teams in their conference, they are easily one of the eight best … probably one of the four best, and they’re going to the playoffs. They’re playing some lousy basketball right now, but that too shall pass, and in two months, The Garden will play host to a postseason game for the first time in three years.

And Knicks fans deserve it. They are among the most passionate, dedicated fans in sports, and they pay a pretty penny to watch to their team play. Unfortunately, they also have very short memories and that was certainly on display Sunday afternoon during a loss to the Cavs.

Now, don’t get me wrong. That was ugly, and no one is trying to say you had to enjoy watching it. The main attraction was supposed to be LeBron James’ artistry, and instead Knicks fans had to endure 31 points and 15 rebounds worth of Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Yuck!
But does anyone remember what the Knicks looked like when they first got Stephon Marbury? Phrases like “out of synch” and “time to gel” were being tossed around constantly. And why? Because basketball is a team game and the Knicks had some new teammates and that’s the way it goes. Get new teammates, and struggle a bit while they learn to play together. Then, hopefully get through it and come out a better team on the other end. Would anyone deny that that’s exactly what happened with Marbury’s arrival?

So why wouldn’t Tim Thomas be given the same benefit of the doubt? Can we at least see the guy play a few games with his new team before we hear chants calling for the return for which he was traded?

In the end, you might find a team that is more athletic, better defensively, and more well rounded when Allan Houston comes back. And therein lays the key to the Knicks season. A player with whom New York fans have always run hot-and-cold holds the key to whatever playoff run the Knicks are going to make.

The Knicks have lost four of their last five games before taking on the NBA-leading Kings Tuesday. During that run, they have had a player score over 20 points in a game five times. Four of those have been by Marbury. The one element that Keith Van Horn brings to any team is the ability to score. Without Houston, the Knicks have one guy that can consistently bring scoring, and that’s Marbury. He’s been the Knicks leading scorer in their last 11 games, and often times he’s carrying the load all by his lonesome.

That all changes when Houston comes back. He instantly makes scoring the ball a far easier task. However, he deserves some time … the same way Tim Thomas deserves time, and the same way Marbury deserved time.

And they have time. Their schedule is brutal, with a West Coast trip this week that begins a 10-game stretch with eight games away from The Garden. But in the end, who really cares? They’re going to the playoffs. Don’t believe me? Then drop on by the NBA standings the next chance you get, and peruse the Eastern Conference. Who’s catching them?

The article is kinda old, but I just read it for the first time. Even tho its supposed to be about making the playoffs, I think the best point this article makes is that we needed to give TT some time.

Now that we did, imo he's looking pretty good.
AUTOADVERT
NYK8
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #320
USA
3/5/2004  10:33 PM
good post,thx
!!!Knicks!!!
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
3/5/2004  10:38 PM
i hate to stray from the subject matt, but nazr is looking much better number wise.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/5/2004  10:55 PM
Posted by daddynel:

i hate to stray from the subject matt, but nazr is looking much better number wise.

Ya I know, Nazr is really coming through for us. Hopefully he can pull off somethin like J Oneil from portland to indiana...just maybe not to that extent
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/5/2004  11:06 PM
I would compare him more to. Magloire, Dampier, Boozer, Dale Davis, Antonio Davis. Guys who weren't high picks but blossomed in the NBA. I think thats what IT has in mind with Nazr.
nyvector16
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #130
USA
3/6/2004  1:06 AM
Nazr was burried in a line up where he was the 3rd String Center for a while.. and before that.. he was too new to the NBA to make a big impact. He has alot of potential... Dude is starting to represent.. I am very glad we got him as he is an actual legit center. Once he works out the kinks in his defense.. he'll be a monster!
Bob Wischusen Article

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy