[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Lebron's Douchiness is obviously rubbing off on Wade
Author Thread
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
4/11/2012  4:46 PM
Guess representing your country in the Olympics comes with a pricetag now.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7801502/nba-olympians-compensated

Dwyane Wade eyes Olympic pay
Updated: April 11, 2012, 4:39 PM ET
By Michael Wallace | ESPN.com

Count two-time Olympian and Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade among those who believe NBA players should be paid for playing with Team USA in the London Olympics.

Wade, the leading scorer on the 2008 national team that won a gold medal in China, said he agreed with Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen that players should be compensated for their time participating in the Summer Games. Allen first addressed the issue Tuesday night in an interview with FoxSports.com before the Celtics beat the Heat in Miami.

Allen, 36, is nearing the end of a playing career that included a stint with the national team that won the gold medal during the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. But Wade, 30, remains in a pool of players on Team USA's current roster that will compete at this summer's Olympics.

"It's a lot of things you do for the Olympics -- a lot of jerseys you sell," Wade said after the Heat's practice on Wednesday in advance of Thursday's game against Chicago. "We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. Just like I think college players should be compensated as well. Unfortunately, it's not there. But I think it should be something, you know, there for it."

Wade said he hasn't thought about how much players should be paid for their time. But he said there is a demanding schedule that comes with a commitment to the national team. This summer, NBA players whose teams advance deep into the playoffs could have only a couple of weeks of down time before the start of Team USA's training camp in late July.

The gold medal game is scheduled for Aug. 12, about a month before many NBA players resume workouts to gear up for training camps that open in late September or early October.

"The biggest thing is now you get no rest," Wade said. "So you go to the end of the season, (Team USA) training camp is two weeks later. You're giving up a lot to do it. It's something you want to do. But it's taxing on your body. You're not playing for the dollar. But it would be nice if you would get compensated."

On Tuesday night, Allen told FoxSports.com that sharing profits from the sale of Olympic game jerseys would be acceptable.

"You talk about the patriotism that guys should want to play for, but you (need to) find a way to entice the guys," Allen was quoted as saying in the interview. "It's not the easiest thing in the world if you play deep in the playoffs and then you get two, three weeks off and then you start training again to play more basketball, where it requires you to be away from home and in another country. It's fun, but your body does need a break."

Wade supported Allen's comments.

"I totally agree," Wade said. "I think (jersey) licensing could be a way ... maybe licensing may not be fair because everybody won't get the same amount. (There) should be some way. But that's something they've got to worry about because this will be my last time around."

Heat players LeBron James and Chris Bosh are also on the Team USA roster for the Summer Games. But neither player would say if they agreed with Wade and Allen regarding player compensation.

"I love representing my country, man," James said. "I've done it since 2004 and I'm looking forward to doing it in London. As far as (pay), I don't know, man. It doesn't matter. I'm happy to be a part of the team, to be selected again."

AUTOADVERT
MarburyAnd1Crossover
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3650

4/11/2012  4:48 PM
I agree with him. USA isn't really a nation anymore. It's like a big company.
Carmelo Anthony is ANTI-BASKETBALL
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
4/13/2012  1:08 PM
This is truly sad and it shows you the true colors of many athletes.

At least Melo came out and disagreed. No athlete should be paid to represent their country in the Olympics, it is an honor. Besides, they get paid for Olympic endorsements - that is more than enough.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
ChuckBuck
USA
4/13/2012  3:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/13/2012  3:01 PM
Melo gets bumped up a few notches in my book.

Carmelo Anthony would play in Olympics for free
Published: April 13, 2012 1:03 PM
By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN kimberley.martin@newsday.com

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Carmelo Anthony is looking forward to a trip to the 2012 London Olympics whether he gets paid or not.
The Knicks forward was asked Friday for his thoughts on athletes getting paid to compete in the Olympics, but he was not about to fall into the same trap as Miami's Dwyane Wade.
"It's different for us over here," Anthony said. "I don't know. I've been dealing with the USA team since I was 16, and I haven't got paid yet. And it's been good to me."
Wade created controversy on Wednesday when he said athletes should be "compensated" for playing over the summer. He changed his stance the following day, however, releasing a statement that read: "I do not want to be paid to go to the Olympics."
Anthony said he hadn't heard about the fallout surrounding Wade's comments or the Miami guard's reversal in opinion.
"Everybody has their own opinion about it," Anthony said. "It don't matter to me. If I get a check or not, I'm still going to play. Because I want to play. This is bigger than anything. Especially this time around for us to go and try to redeem ourselves and get that gold once again. This is a big one."
Anthony and Wade were on the U.S. team that defeated Australia, 92-65, in the gold-medal game at the 2008 Beijing Games.
This year, the Summer Olympics begin July 27 and the men's basketball gold-medal game is scheduled for Aug. 12 -- about a month before NBA training camps start.
"And it's London," Anthony said with a smile. "Who don't want to go to London?"
Before backtracking, Wade told reporters the schedule demands for the Olympics are taxing.
"We play the whole summer," he said Wednesday. "I do think guys should be compensated, just like I think college players should be compensated as well. Unfortunately, it's not there.
"The biggest thing now is rest. So you go to the end of the season, [Team USA] training camp is two weeks later. You're giving up a lot to do it. It's something you want to do, but it's taxing on your body. You're not playing for the dollar. But it would be nice if you would get compensated."

MarburyAnd1Crossover
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3650

4/13/2012  8:53 PM
Yea but what is a country really? It's all one world.
Carmelo Anthony is ANTI-BASKETBALL
ChuckBuck
USA
4/13/2012  9:56 PM
Earvin Magic Johnson ‏ @MagicJohnson
Olympians should not be paid.
5:26 PM - 13 Apr 12 via WhoSay
·
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/16/2012  11:57 AM
You would expect crap like this from the new Wade. With his new Leposthole digger next to him, saying things like:

"Warren Buffet told me you should be able to turn your Olympic Pay into a tax free municipal trust to fund your past and future divorces/paternity suits"

One whirled.

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

4/20/2012  12:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/20/2012  12:14 PM
MarburyAnd1Crossover wrote:I agree with him. USA isn't really a nation anymore. It's like a big company.

Very good point. It really seems to be coming down to this at a cultural level. However I completely DISAGREE with him. Is nothing sacrosanct anymore? Not to mention, do guys who earn tens of millions of dollars per year deserve to get paid for their national "service" because the team sells a few jerseys? Wow, that sort of greed I find appalling.

youngandalmostfamous
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3226
USA
5/12/2012  12:22 AM
I guess people dont remember this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnaoVV46hk4

Lebron's Douchiness is obviously rubbing off on Wade

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy