[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah's dark side
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/4/2004  2:27 PM
Im not hating here, but with Isiah comes some of his baggage and his down side. I have long promoted that Laydog is not whom Isiah need only be compared to. Ishiah has made enemies over the years. The ESPN magazine artitcle did a nice job of balancing Isiah and Marburys past and how important this gig in NY is for both of them.

Perhaps it takes a controversial figure to shake things up, and certainly Isiah is the up for that task. It also appears in this article that KVH was a Falk client. If Isiah traded him for that reason, then shame of him to put his predudices ahead of the team.

Lets hope for all our sakes TT turns great, and our team makes great strides.

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

David Falk believes his strained relationship with Isiah Thomas could be the reason to why his client, Dikembe Mutombo, was removed from the starting lineup and why Mutombo's permanent removal from New York may be inevitable.
For the second time in two weeks, Falk, the NBA's most powerful player agent, criticized Thomas, questioning his management skills and calling the Knicks president vindictive and immature.

"For me to deal effectively with the Knicks, Isiah has to put his personal feelings aside and only worry about business," Falk said yesterday. "Because all he's doing now is showing his immaturity as an executive."

Falk addressed Mutombo's status a few hours before the Knicks announced that the veteran center was placed on the injured list following what the team called an abdominal surgical procedure. The injury is not expected to sideline Mutombo for more than 10 days but Mutombo is now required to miss a minimum of five games.

When those five games are completed there is no guarantee Mutombo will be activated. On Tuesday, Lenny Wilkens named Nazr Mohammed the starting center, further proof that the Knicks are phasing out Mutombo, a four-time defensive player of the year. Before last night, Mutombo hadn't started the last four games.

When Falk was asked if Mutombo's diminished role is the result of the friction between he and Thomas, Falk replied: "I question that sometimes because Isiah can be a very vindictive person. And if that is the case he's being dumb because he should not allow his dislike for him directly affect the team."

Falk added that if Thomas continues to alienate him as well as his high-profile clients that would only impair the Knicks' ability to negotiate with some of the league's top free agents.

"It would have tremendous repercussions," Falk warned. "I've always had a good relationship with the Steve Mills and James Dolan. But with Isiah it's different. Some people you give them enough rope and they hang themselves. I have a saying, 'The decision that you made set the price that must be paid.'"

The feud between Falk and Thomas began a decade earlier when Thomas, then president of the players association, spearheaded a campaign to have agents' commission reduced. Thomas also shared a bitter rivalry with Michael Jordan, Falk's biggest client, and many believe that Jordan influenced the NBA and USA Basketball to keep Thomas off the original Dream Team in 1992.

Two weeks ago, Falk criticized Thomas for not contacting him before or after Keith Van Horn was traded to Milwaukee. At the time Falk admitted that he and Thomas don't see eye-to-eye. "It's no secret that we dislike each other," Falk said.

Thomas attempted to trade Mutombo before the Feb. 19 trading deadline. Thomas did acquire Mohammed, who has since replaced Mutombo. Thomas has denied having any influence over Wilkens' rotation.

Falk agrees with Wilkens' assessment that Mutombo "is not the same player he was five years ago." However, the Knicks are 12-12 this season when Mutombo plays 25 or more minutes and he gives them the defensive presence they sorely lack. "Maybe in a bizarre way they're keeping Dikembe fresh for the playoffs," Falk said. "I think it's important for Dikembe to continue to act professionally and not complain about what is going on. It's out of his hands."

Mutombo has one year left on his contract and it is unlikely that he will return next season. In fact, he could find himself buried even further on the bench if Thomas is able to sign Vin Baker, whom the Knicks view as a possible starting center.

Originally published on March 4, 2004

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/4/2004  2:47 PM
I'm not concerned about the agent thing. I think most of these agents are scumbags and the bottom line is they only care about squeezing more cash out of the system (unless your Jerry McGuire).

The important thing for me is he's liked around the league by players and respected by GMs.

Isiah isnt god, he may totally fail here and (further) ruin this franchise. However he's done well at every place he's been. He won titles for Det and was their franchise PG. He drafted Camby, Tmac and Mouse (ROY) for Toronto. Al Harrginton and Jermaine Oneil give him sole credit for turning them into NBA players and even men. And here he has started the rebuilding around Marbury, a star PG in his prime as opposed to a PF coming of a year of not playing and multiple knee surguries.

To me this guy is worth being a little patient with, and lets what this team looks like in a year, 2 year and 3 years. I'm guessing it will be pretty good, but time will tell.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/4/2004  3:04 PM
Read the article this morning and had to do a double take. Not only is Deke complaining about minutes but his agent is too. Holy crap. I truely wonder if Falk is actually watching the games. Deke has a role on the team but only in a limited manner. It's not like he is playing for another contract or anything.

I have never heard of a situation where a team fighting for a playoff spot that would allow their GM to dictate minutes of a particular player to the detriment of the team.

Wasn't Isola the writer who leaked the Fratello hire? Guess he is trying to sell more papers. Again. Dude is a horrible reporter.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
USA
3/4/2004  4:06 PM
I thought it was Mitch Lawerence but they both suck. The only writer I really respect is Steve Popper for the NYTimes... he also does some writing for MSGNetwork. Most of the rest is tabloid garbage written at a 3rd grade reading level anyhow..
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/4/2004  4:24 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I thought it was Mitch Lawerence but they both suck. The only writer I really respect is Steve Popper for the NYTimes... he also does some writing for MSGNetwork. Most of the rest is tabloid garbage written at a 3rd grade reading level anyhow..

I like Steve too. David D is kind of good writer too.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
USA
3/4/2004  4:27 PM
yea he is... funny how the tabloid reporter generally spout crap, while real papers like the Times and Ledger actually report it like its news, while offering insight and commentary.
Nalod
USA
3/5/2004  12:00 AM
True the writer can be scum, but having david falk as an enemy can mess you up.

Don't discount this stuff too much, it may haunt us down the road.

If he traded KVH because he was a "layden-ite" thats one thing ( not a good one), if he traded him as he thinks tt us better long term, thats another. If he traded him to get back at Falk, then Isiah is a dumbass.

I don't know the answer.
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
3/5/2004  12:01 AM
Iseah should screw over Falk as much as possible, Falks screwed us over with the Ewing deal. We were supposed to get Deke but he just plain lied to us. Who does Falk repsresent these days that is so good and we actually have a chance at getting anyways.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/5/2004  12:09 AM
fishmike: great post, Zeke is not god, but he is a breath of fresh air in NY, a lot of execs in basketball have their baggage, do you think that MJ didn't have baggage? Plus MJ did a horrible job as Prez in washington yet he seems to get an exemption.. I could care less about falk and his bald head, falk and most of these agents are pure scum, falk didn't seem so concerned when he left Layden's stupid azz holding the bag on the Glen rice deal, that was supposed to land us Mutombo in another deal.. The knicks have been used by other players for leverage, See Brian grant, they have been a laughing stock of the league and the brunt of jokes, Zeke has restored order, and right now he can't care abour falk, KVH, or any other clown that does not have the knicks best interest at hand.....

go zeke...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/5/2004  1:05 AM
Falk is so transparent it is comical. He claims to have a great relationship with Mills and Dolan, yet even though they are in a position to give him all the information he wants, he blames Isiah for everything.

He threatens that if Isiah doesn't change he may not get his players, yet Falk promised Checketts he would get Mutombo several years ago if he traded for Rice, but Falk screwed him.

The Layden apologists invent ways to find fault with Isiah.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
3/5/2004  3:11 AM
Posted by Nalod:

If he traded KVH because he was a "layden-ite" thats one thing ( not a good one), if he traded him as he thinks tt us better long term, thats another. If he traded him to get back at Falk, then Isiah is a dumbass.

Nothing prevent this trade to do three things at the same time. Like killing three spoon with one diet !

TT may be better in the long run, and at the same time, could have been icing the cake for IT to get rid of a layden player AND hitting back his buddy falk.

Hard, but doable. in that case, kudos for him to be able to follow three agendas at the same time !
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

3/5/2004  9:38 AM
Posted by tkf:

fishmike: great post, Zeke is not god, but he is a breath of fresh air in NY, a lot of execs in basketball have their baggage, do you think that MJ didn't have baggage? Plus MJ did a horrible job as Prez in washington yet he seems to get an exemption.. I could care less about falk and his bald head, falk and most of these agents are pure scum, falk didn't seem so concerned when he left Layden's stupid azz holding the bag on the Glen rice deal, that was supposed to land us Mutombo in another deal.. The knicks have been used by other players for leverage, See Brian grant, they have been a laughing stock of the league and the brunt of jokes, Zeke has restored order, and right now he can't care abour falk, KVH, or any other clown that does not have the knicks best interest at hand.....

go zeke...

You never cease to amaze me , and now you come out of the corner with these tiddly remarks. If we don't make the playoffs, it don't matter if Zeke re-builds ground zero ...this yr would be considered a disaster. #1 PICKS WILL BE GIVEN AWAY IF WE DON'T MAKE PLAYOFFS, THAT'S GOOD PICKENS WASTED. You brag about his talent evaulation being so good, I would have loved to see Zeke pick for us in the up coming draft(with high pick) compared to Layden.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
simrud
USA
3/5/2004  9:44 AM
At least Utah will have our pick I think in the worst case scenario. The Suns traded away two 1st rounders to Utah along with Googs for Clark and something basicall to get rid of Googs money. So much for the Suns doing the deal to rebuild rather then just cut the money. Cleraly they could care less about gettin young talent with picks, they just want to spend less money and hope for a FA signing.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

3/5/2004  10:06 AM
Simrud THEY ALREADY HAVE YOUNG TALENT AMARE 19, JOHNSON 24, MARION around 26, what are you talking about. After you have young talent then you cut the cost in which they did.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Nalod
USA
3/5/2004  10:06 AM

some of you are so Isiah starsruck its silly.

The Boys in Milwaukee think they fleeced Isiah. Claiming Isiah own ego did not see what he had in KVH. Perhaps its good coaching that can make KVH even better.

C'mon guys, Laydog is long gone. Falk royally screwed us with Rice and did not deliver. But the fact remains, Falk is the big gorilla in the land and thats just the way it is.

Also, don't be so blind as to that breath of fresh air might stink as Isiah while doing nice things, has a way of leaving a bad residue.

So what? Yeah, treating people in some negative manner over time comes back to haunt you. Or as they say, becareful how you treat people on the way up, as they might still be there on your way down.

simrud
USA
3/5/2004  10:48 AM
All I'm saying is that the Marbury trade was clearly solely done to cut cost, not to get picks.
BrilliantTruth
Member: #622
3/5/2004  1:15 PM
I love how a reporter's opinion that Isiah is screwing Falk, followed by a quote from Falk, who said "If that was the case...", makes so many people around here say that Isiah is ruining the future.

[Edited by - brillianttruth on 03/05/2004 13:15:30]
Wanted: Patience and Brilliance
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
3/5/2004  1:19 PM
Nalod, you’re a trip. You are obviously smarting over Isiah being in charge. The undercurrent of tension that highlights most of your posts is tangible. I don’t know if you are just staying loyal to Layden (you defended him constantly while he was here - my best Tony Kornheiser impersonation, DEFENDING YOU‘RE BOY), or if its just the fact that you have a hang up over black males. I’ve always maintained that you are a smart guy, and I enjoy your posts, but with the way you inject race into almost every post, I cant shake the image that you have a huge confederate flag as a backdrop for your computer screen, with a life-sized poster of Rush Limbaugh with hearts around it. I know, white males have had it so hard in America.
“The Boys in Milwaukee think they fleeced Isiah”

Yeah, Milwaukee is what --- Franchise #53 to think that about KVH. I’m not a charter member of the Van Horn hate club, I enjoyed his play here, and was a little taken aback to find out that he got Amtrack-ed out of here.

That said, if you think it’s a coincidence that KVH gets shipped out of town on almost an annual basis, then you are either blind or naïve. Van Horn’s scoring ability is unquestioned, but he is a flawed talent. When his shot isn’t falling he tends to disappear. And on the defensive end, he has a low basketball IQ as evidenced by his perpetual ability to foul out of almost every game. Furthermore, he is just flat out a pitiful defender. Yeah, lazy on defense, and low B-ball IQ, labels we are always quick to attach to black players, but hesitate when it comes to white ones.
“C'mon guys, Laydog is long gone.”

Layden may be long gone physically, but his legacy and impact are still being felt. Its going to be a climb Mount Everest with bare feet type challenge to undue the considerable damage of the Layden years.
“Falk royally screwed us with Rice and did not deliver. But the fact remains, Falk is the big gorilla in the land and thats just the way it is.”

Interesting how you glide effortlessly over the documented fact that Falk lied and manipulated the Knicks, yet indulge yourself over the theories that Isiah is anti-white or anti-European simply because he makes trades to improve the team. “Isiah got rid of the legends known as Lampe and Vulanic for some scrub named Marbury…Zeke is anti-white…He just hired Farrakan as the Knicks spiritual advisor!!”

Falk may be a “big gorilla”, but Isiah is no chimpanzee (why did I just compare a black man to a monkey), especially when you consider the New York Knick renaissance. Falk’s clients are not androids, as the idea of an agent is to serve the best interests of the client. If New York is winning, can shell out the most money, and is a popular destination of players, then Falk will not be able to convince his client to go to the Clippers instead based on his silly feuds. Besides, I’ll just regurgitate the sentiment
here --- Falk is just typical agent sleaze, he will go to where the money is, if that happens to be NY, so be it.

“Also, don't be so blind as to that breath of fresh air might stink as Isiah while doing nice things, has a way of leaving a bad residue.”

So what are we supposed to do as Knick fans? Despite the fact that Isiah has revitalized a hopeless pathetic franchise with whiplash inducing speed, we are all supposed to predict gloom and doom and hope that he fails?

In any event, Isiah’s bad rep is a hand that has been overplayed. He helped build Indiana into a powerhouse after Bird bailed out on the team. The transition in Toronto from expansion blues to respectability was remarkably quick., and whatever “stink” there is in Detroit is masked by the two championship banners that hang in the Palace. His record isn’t spotless…Whose is? When you swim with sharks you best to be one yourself.

“becareful how you treat people on the way up, as they might still be there on your way down.”

Maybe “Super-agent” Falk should have heeded that advice. Wow, Mutombo is whining, what a shock. Correlation between age, ability and playing time…Nah

My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
Nalod
USA
3/5/2004  2:30 PM
Seb,

I did not realize my posts mean that much to you. Im not going to try to defend every point on every issue as you may have some valid points. I respect your views and not "dissecting" to win every point.

In any event, your confederate flag remark is funny as hell. I can take a joke and as one might say "LMAO".

Considering that I find that flag particually offensive and would also be the object of affection by our cross burning friends in designer sheets.

I can enjoy a good laugh. Even at my expense.

My "boy" Laydog was given credit for not just his screw ups, but those before him. I Got the feeling that by some, Laydog was over done because he was white. Just my observation.

Like wise, I get a feeling that Isiah can do no wrong by some because he is black. It seems that his mistakes are just blown over because he the "messiah" and who cares who he offends or mess's up, "cuz we got marbury and in the running now".

I encourage Isiah from day one to not just make good trades, but also be a responsible busisness man and be a good General Manager of a very high profile team. And Isiah has messed up in a lot of places.
That I have been very consistant with.

Isiah has not been truthful with his staff and not holding up to his words. Chaney has been a gentleman about everything, and Isiah perhaps did not mean to undercut him, but he did say things publically, then acted not so accordingly.

Isiah gets credit for turning around Indiana? Donnie Walsh was the GM, Isiah was the coach, and while he did some nice things, he also can be called out on some things he could have done better.

My main point is judge him fairly. Isiah has done some nice things, but is not perfect, and has messed up along the way.

I was critical of Laydog/Dolans philosophy of running the team. But I liked the way Laydog carried himself. I also said many times the mistake was hiring an introvert to be GM in the first place, which made Laydogs job even harder for him. Laydog was not stupid, he had a dumb owner, a bad set of cards, was not compatable with his tasks, and unlucky to some extent.

Isiah in Toronto for having 3 or so coaches? Mad dog Carter? Firing his boy Malone? Drafting Mouse and Camby? I would say those two were not great picks, they were top picks and did not define the franchise. McGrady turned better than expected. That I can give him a prop.

If Isiah brings an Anti White controversial past,and brings it into the team now by ridding of them, and isolating top agents, backstabbing players and former coaches, then yeah Im gonna say somthing. If he is ridding of everything Ladyen, good and bad for the sake of change, then thats stupid.

Last year I though Chaney did a hell of a job, and you never heard anything from me except support even this year. You never heard anything racial bias except for Isiah's actions.l.

If Isiah is going to be suger coated for everything he does, and not given a fair evalution to his mistakes, then we are merely unbashful groupies. What makes Isiah interesting is his extreme views and risk taking. Great leaders need not be great men, and great men need not be great leaders. Laydog is a fine human, a hard worker, loyal father to 3 girls with nightmare medical contitions, and very smart fellow. His reputation of caring about players, coaches, staff has earned him nothing but respect from his peers (except for his nippling trading proposals). Great man, not great leader! I would have to say that Isiah is following a path of not being great man in management(Isiah the Ex-player, not Isiah the 2 time champ Piston), but could be a great leader when all is said and done. Isiah in my opinion has a lot of work to do to polish his reputation.

That my friend we may have to wait a few years for.

Just understand, race is no issue with me, but it is out there for all of us to trip over from time to time. I can see how my view may be taken into context of being bias.

[Edited by - nalod on 03/05/2004 14:55:07]
Nalod
USA
3/5/2004  2:58 PM
Posted by playa2:

Sebstar i'm Suprised the mods let this stay posted HMMMMM

Playa,

Thats because people can not agree with each other, and still bring forth views worthy of reading.

Notice, we do not call each other names?

We can also agree to disagree.

Your quote almost asks the moderater to step in. To that I say, "Bud Out"!

Isiah's dark side

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy