Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
3/1/2004  4:21 PM
By Greg Anthony
ESPN Insider

It already feels like the playoffs have begun, and in a lot of ways they have. In the East, the Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers are surging, while the Knicks, Raptors, 76ers and Celtics are floundering. And in the West, home-court advantage in the first round could determine whether a team goes to the Finals or starts making tee-times.

Let's get to the e-mail:

Dan from New York writes,
First, props. In my mind, you are becoming, along with David Aldridge and baseball's Peter Gammons, one of the most insightful, knowledgeable and articulate people in sports broadcasting today ... looking forward to watching you for many years to come.

Now for my question/comment: I am a New Yorker and have been thrilled at the moves Isiah Thomas has made ... except the Keith Van Horn trade ... jury is still out on that one. But I still don't see the Knicks as a contender unless they can pick up a truly dominating big man. What moves do you see them making before next year, if Rasheed Wallace stays in Detroit?

Tim Thomas
Forward
New York Knicks

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
47 14.0 4.7 2.0 .448 .754
A: There has to be concern with the trading of Van Horn, because he was playing the best basketball of his career, in my eyes. However, as Isiah stated, this move was not just about this season, but also the future, and it was done not just for Tim Thomas but also Nazr Mohammed.

The real issue for the Knicks is the health of Allan Houston, and now Thomas. They should still make the playoffs, and, depending on how successful the Pistons are in the playoffs, will have a shot at Rasheed in the offseason.

James Brown from Virginia asks,
Will the Hornets make a run at Dion Glover? It would make sense, because they have needed a scoring big guard for years.

A: I think it would make sense, because they not only could use some offense off the bench from that position, but more importantly an athletic defender who is a legit two guard. It would not cost them much, and there is really no downside if it doesn't work. This is another team that has to find a way to get out of the second round.

Eddy in Toronto writes,

Vince Carter
Guard-Forward
Toronto Raptors

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
50 21.2 4.7 4.7 .410 .801
ESPN rarely talks about the Raptors. Even though I'm a loyal Raps fans, I have to admit this team is stuck without any direction. They want to be a contending team in the East, but they can't. After the loss Wednesday to Washington, I'm wondering if they'll make the playoffs this year. They should rebuild the team and shouldn't rely on Vince Carter anymore. Vince isn't Mike. I'm afraid he's turning out to be another Penny or Grant Hill.

A: Injuries certainly have hurt Vince and the Raptors, and there are rumblings the coaching staff is not enamored with Vince as a player. But he still sells out whenever he plays, and that will be a factor in whether or not management pulls the trigger on a trade.

But while this team has been unlucky with all the injuries, it also has other personnel concerns -- no true point guard or center, and an inability to shoot from the perimeter. There also are concerns with the coaching staff and in the front office, as well. There is no quick fix here. Stay tuned.

Rob from New Jersey asks,

Tracy McGrady
Shooting Guard
Orlando Magic

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
55 27.5 5.9 5.5 .417 .817
How long do you think the rebuilding process will take in Orlando? Do you see them being a contender in the playoffs next year?

A: First, I think a lot will be determined over the next six weeks, in terms of how they finish the season. They have to get the taste of losing out of their system and be able to evaluate their talent base when there has been some success.

Also, they want to finish strong to ensure that either T-Mac decides to stay or, if he wants out, they can pull a trade for some established talent that can help them win now. In the East, one or two players could be the difference in being a contender or being at the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks for the e-mail. Let's have some fun as we head for the home stretch.

AUTOADVERT
Insider Special: Anthony Mailbag

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy