[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Real Team = Real Fans
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/1/2004  3:50 PM

Isiah has been given an extended budget to do things Laydog was not allowed to. The direction of the team is so much different mid year than any of the last few years. Laydogs plan seemed confused, where Isiahs is pretty clear.

I am very critical of MSG as a fan as I truly believe for the last few years its about attendence not quality. The Dolans call the knicks a "brand" and if you think of it, its programing for their network. So long as the team is interesting, they will have good attendence and ratings. Last year the team under Chaney made a playoff run and nothing was done. Not until the team was falling into the intrest abyss did they fire Laydog and start the star collection.

SUre the team is much better, and at a huge cost. The garden is interesting again, attendence is up, and viewership is up.

I am suspect that the team will never pay they price of getting bad enough to build thru the draft. not that it is a fool proof way, but it gives you a ewing, Duncan, shaq, etc. player to build with.

There is no one way to build, and I applaude the Knicks efforts to cash in assets to boost the team now.

I am afraid what is good for buisness, is not enough to compete at the highest levels and win a banner.

We might get lucky, but my gut feeling is the team must stay competitive to draw enough to feed that hungry huge salary they have.

WE have more tradable assets now. That will help.
Otherwise Kudos for Isiah for making the team legit, kudos to Dolan for making a bold move to fire Laydog and bring in a high profile guy like Isiah.

This would be a very minority view, but the the following is based on the point of view that the road less traveled is one more lasting. I was facinated with what Laydog was trying to do. I know the symptoms would appear that he was an idiot, but his approach was so far off the norm, that I was, and still wonder if there was not some pretty neat ideas in that reclusive mind. Remember, this goes against popular thinking, so just bashing Laydog is the easy thing, but I was wondering if other than being an idiot, what was laydog doing?

Last year the team had the same record as this year, and we were stockpiling assets. Laydog did lay the ground work for a marbury trade.

Its not bashing Isiah, and not Laydog, but now that were are a few months removed, does anybody think that Laydog might have been up to somthing?
AUTOADVERT
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
3/1/2004  4:14 PM
Nice point, nedyal.

I believe layden had an idea to get us out of the hole, maybe slowly, but surely, through the draft this time, though he did do something that made the marbury trade possible.

What is sad is that chaney, though a nice guy and a great assistant, cost us much more than layden did. Changing the coach would have been a minor change yet would've helped us use the assests we already had.
Major risk was that dice could have been resigned, which was imho a heck of a risk.

overall, we have something in the hands that can be. Now we have to be patent. not our greatest strenght. can't look behid us, we have to go forward. can't be worse. i hope, at least.
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
3/1/2004  6:35 PM
It's hard to get too excited this year -- when our team is backing into the playoffs in a weak conference and the team's work ethic (especially on defense) is highly suspect.

I'm all for giving Thomas and Wilkens time to turn this team around. But I won't be surprised if, come next year, this team is not much closer to winning a championship.
https:// It's not so hard.
Real Team = Real Fans

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy