[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Has Isiah Thomas done a good job overall?

Author Poll
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
He made some trades, he brought in some players, he got us a new coach... overall, has he done a good job? Good: Upgraded the point immensely & shored up the swingman depth by acquiring Marbury & Penny. Dumped Eisley's contract. Fired Chaney. Dumped 'Spoon--- but did we really need Moochie for so many years? Acquired a potential double-double PF/C of the future in Mohammed. Brought in Mark Aguirre to help out Sweetney (he could've helped out Lampe too) TBD: Hired Lenny Wilkens, over a number of other names Bad: Took away FW's future on the Knicks by blocking his position w/ an established highly paid star. Marbury mega-contract makes him absolutely above the law; regardless of how badly he plays, he'll still get the big minutes. Traded away a whole lot of POTENTIAL. We've lost 2 first rounders (1 potential lottery pick) and a 2nd rounder, as well as rights to the high upside Vujanic & 7ft shooter Lampe. Would we have been better off in retrospect just buying out Eisley to guarantee 20mpg+ with Vujanic? Traded away KVH/Doleac when the going was good, disrupting chemistry and taking away the Knicks only player (other than Marbury) who demanded a double-team. Also took away 2 of the better shooting big men in the league. Effectively downgraded our starting SF position by replacing our #2/3 scorer KVH with a player unaccustomed to that role in TT Added a whole lot of contract weight to team, making the load of team salary among the highest in the history of the NBA. Worse salary cap situation than he arrived with. Did too much trading, disrupting team chemistry again and again and again... ------- In retrospect... would we have been a better off if IT just: 1) bought out Ward & 'Spoon 2) signed Mercer / DerMarr Johnson / Glover 3) fired Chaney, replaced him with... anyone?! :) and an optional #4: 4) Used the McDyess as a chip to acquire Rasheed Wallace instead of Marbury
Fantastic A+++ GM! Happy to keep him here!
So-so, some good moves, some not so good; At least he's better than Layden
He's worse than Layden, but still deserves a chance to improve
He's killed our future and our present! Fire Thomas *clap clap clap-clap-clap*
View Results

Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
USA
3/1/2004  12:57 AM
He made some trades, he brought in some players, he got us a new coach... overall, has he done a good job?

Good: Upgraded the point immensely & shored up the swingman depth by acquiring Marbury & Penny.

Dumped Eisley's contract.

Fired Chaney.

Dumped 'Spoon--- but did we really need Moochie for so many years?

Acquired a potential double-double PF/C of the future in Mohammed. Brought in Mark Aguirre to help out Sweetney (he could've helped out Lampe too)

TBD: Hired Lenny Wilkens, over a number of other names

Bad:
Took away FW's future on the Knicks by blocking his position w/ an established highly paid star. Marbury mega-contract makes him absolutely above the law; regardless of how badly he plays, he'll still get the big minutes.

Traded away a whole lot of POTENTIAL. We've lost 2 first rounders (1 potential lottery pick) and a 2nd rounder, as well as rights to the high upside Vujanic & 7ft shooter Lampe. Would we have been better off in retrospect just buying out Eisley to guarantee 20mpg+ with Vujanic?

Traded away KVH/Doleac when the going was good, disrupting chemistry and taking away the Knicks only player (other than Marbury) who demanded a double-team. Also took away 2 of the better shooting big men in the league.

Effectively downgraded our starting SF position by replacing our #2/3 scorer KVH with a player unaccustomed to that role in TT

Added a whole lot of contract weight to team, making the load of team salary among the highest in the history of the NBA. Made the salary cap situation worse than he arrived with.

Did too much trading, disrupting team chemistry again and again and again...

-------

In retrospect... would we have been a better off if IT just:
1) bought out Ward & 'Spoon
2) signed Mercer / DerMarr Johnson / Glover
3) fired Chaney, replaced him with... anyone?! :)

and an optional #4:

4) Used the McDyess as a chip to acquire Rasheed Wallace instead of Marbury
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
EnYKnickFan
Member: #600
USA
3/1/2004  12:59 AM
Im cuttin the knicks & IT some slack simply because i know it aint this year.. The way you gotta look at it is simply will the team be better down the road and you gotta look past the past. IT brong in hope towards the team and nobody knows what moves he can make as maybe even moving TT or NM anythings possible with IT. Just know that IT doesnt want to fail but it does hurt watching the knicks even though its not about this year lose and lose.. The knicks are a team that needs pieces and i dont doubt IT will try to get them.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/1/2004  2:01 AM
Isiah has been the GM for two months. We have no idea what his master plan is. If anyone states with certainty that they know that he has done a good or bad job, they are fooling themselves.
technomaster
USA
3/1/2004  2:19 AM
Well... we don't know what his goal is down the road, but how much slack do you give a GM or coach?

One might argue that Thomas has used up virtually all of his tradable assets and what you see on the floor is what you might get for the next few years, save perhaps some free agent additions.

The question is--- what kind of upside do the Knicks have? Which players on the Knicks can make marked improvements?

Williams and Sweetney clearly have upside--- with more minutes and some polish, both look like they have the talent to be *at least* borderline starters in the NBA.

DerMarr Johnson has looked lost his whole NBA career (even pre-injury in Atlanta)--- he can't seem to produce within the team concept. Give him some garbage time and he might light it up. The athleticism is there... but as they say in the matrix, the body cannot live without the mind.

While I think Tim Thomas has upside, at age 27 it remains to be seen whether he can be a legit #2 or #3 scoring threat in the NBA... and whether he's worthy of commanding a double-team.

If you extrapolate Mohammed's numbers over starter minutes, you'll probably see something like Jamal Magloire: 12ppg/9+rpg. Maybe he'll learn a post move along the way. Still, he's not the most heady "basketball IQ" guy out there.

As far as anyone else under age 30, a PG probably shouldn't average too much more than 20ppg, so Marbury's about right with his career numbers of 20-8.

It's strange thinking about this, but there's no young help coming from the draft over the next 2 years...
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
3/1/2004  2:47 AM
Posted by technomaster:

Well... we don't know what his goal is down the road, but how much slack do you give a GM or coach?

One might argue that Thomas has used up virtually all of his tradable assets and what you see on the floor is what you might get for the next few years, save perhaps some free agent additions.

The question is--- what kind of upside do the Knicks have? Which players on the Knicks can make marked improvements?

Williams and Sweetney clearly have upside--- with more minutes and some polish, both look like they have the talent to be *at least* borderline starters in the NBA.

DerMarr Johnson has looked lost his whole NBA career (even pre-injury in Atlanta)--- he can't seem to produce within the team concept. Give him some garbage time and he might light it up. The athleticism is there... but as they say in the matrix, the body cannot live without the mind.

While I think Tim Thomas has upside, at age 27 it remains to be seen whether he can be a legit #2 or #3 scoring threat in the NBA... and whether he's worthy of commanding a double-team.

If you extrapolate Mohammed's numbers over starter minutes, you'll probably see something like Jamal Magloire: 12ppg/9+rpg. Maybe he'll learn a post move along the way. Still, he's not the most heady "basketball IQ" guy out there.

As far as anyone else under age 30, a PG probably shouldn't average too much more than 20ppg, so Marbury's about right with his career numbers of 20-8.

It's strange thinking about this, but there's no young help coming from the draft over the next 2 years...

yes..the near future and the present for the knicks doesn't look bright. hopefully we can sign and trade kt in offseason and find a sucker for mutumbo and shandumb
Yes! - Marv Albert
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/1/2004  4:02 AM
There is an old axiom in sports: You're never as good as you look when you're winning, or as bad as you look when you're losing.

The current losing streak is not just about trading KVH, who is an inconsistent shooter, and is defensively challenged.

Things will turn around soon.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
3/1/2004  7:04 AM
Posted by Rich:

There is an old axiom in sports: You're never as good as you look when you're winning, or as bad as you look when you're losing.

The current losing streak is not just about trading KVH, who is an inconsistent shooter, and is defensively challenged.

I agree with you, though i wouldn't have made the trade.

we're in bad position right now, but we need a few wins to take your confidence back.

Judging IT right now would be unfair and shortminded, as we need to see what he'll do in the offseason to know what his "big picture" was.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

3/1/2004  7:34 AM
Posted by Rich:

You wouldn't have never used that "axiom" with Layden and Chaney lol
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/1/2004  8:40 AM
I think he has done a decent job. I dont get the TT trade...although at first I was excited that we were getting a younger center and TT. Seeing how the team has reacted to it is disappointing to me.

Is that really the GMs fault? Not really but he is responsible for making the trade which led to it so in the end it falls on his shoulders.

I didnt expect the Knicks to win it all this year anyway, so I am not THAT disappointed. However, since IT gave away our #1 draft pick, there really isnt that much to look forward to in the off season if we end up doing lousy.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
NYK8
Member: #320
USA
3/1/2004  9:20 AM
Isiah is doing his think,keep it up.He help the Knicks become younger,taller and a good supporting group for the future and present.this change was needed for a couple of years back so right now im happy about the out come and its only going to get better.
!!!Knicks!!!
spreeeewell
Member: #436
3/1/2004  9:47 AM
As much as I dissagree with the last trade,We have to give Isaih a chance.It's been only a few months since he took over as pres/G.M. He did make the team better than it was last years, Atleast he has the balls to pull trigger.

[Edited by - spreeeewell on 03/01/2004 09:55:17]

[Edited by - spreeeewell on 03/01/2004 14:20:09]
I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/1/2004  3:35 PM
I think Isiah has done a very good job given the task he was given to do. I don't agree with this quick fix at any cost and prefer rebuilding, but this is the direction they are going in, and I'll hang with it, as I have for years and years.

It seemed Laydog was not given the purse to spend as has Isiah. I find the 180 the team has done in its direction very interesting.

I think the playoffs are a must for team to fulfil its buisness plan.
Has Isiah Thomas done a good job overall?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy