[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Last Year
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/29/2004  3:52 PM
the knicks were 37-45 thats a .450 win percentage. This year we are at .433 What that tells me is that we made a HUGE mistake by trading Spree. Thank You Dolan for not knowing anything about basketball. Steph, H20 and spree would've been amazing together! We would be in the hunt for the 4th seed. We could've let Spree walk if we felt he was getting old. Anyway with that said...Let's go TT!! let's try to grab at least 7rebs tonight!!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 02/29/2004 15:53:12]
AUTOADVERT
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
2/29/2004  4:13 PM
Hmm... obviously the big mistake was firing Layden & Chaney.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
TRU
Member: #196
USA
2/29/2004  5:56 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

the knicks were 37-45 thats a .450 win percentage. This year we are at .433 What that tells me is that we made a HUGE mistake by trading Spree. Thank You Dolan for not knowing anything about basketball. Steph, H20 and spree would've been amazing together! We would be in the hunt for the 4th seed. We could've let Spree walk if we felt he was getting old. Anyway with that said...Let's go TT!! let's try to grab at least 7rebs tonight!!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 02/29/2004 15:53:12]

When will you guys give it a rest? Spree is gone. Deal with it.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
2/29/2004  6:14 PM
The real reason it was a mistake to trade Spree is that his contract was one year shorter than KVH's, which would have made his expiring contract valuable as a trading chip next year. But the difference between a winning % of .433 and .450 is meaningless.

The larger issue is that Spree is entering his mid-30s, and the Knicks weren't winning anything with him or without him.

As Ian O'Connor pointed out in the article linked on the board, Isiah has tranformed the Knicks' roster, yielding greater flexibility.

Everyone had said that Layden was locked into the roster he had constructed because the contracts weren't commensurate with the talent. That has completely changed. Isiah is in the process of putting together a team that will be a legitimate contender. Some fans may want to complain about the TT trade or some other trade, but the Knicks will be players in the trade market again because of Isiah, who has only been on the freakin' job for two months.

Patience is a virtue.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/29/2004  6:52 PM
As much as I love Spree (and believe me, that's a whole lot), this trade was the better thing for NY and him...well him atleast. Spree was growing soft in NY. He was settling for jump shots over driving. This year in Minesota, Spree has fire under him. Do you honestly thing that he would be doing as good wit houston and marbury compared to KG and sam i am. Besides that...management couldnt stand him. Maybe at somepoint we can go after him again, now that Dolan has given his "ok", but for now, all we can do is support the team we have.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/1/2004  1:13 PM
WE needed rebounding. KVH rebounded.

Spree on a good team SHOULD be doing better. It was a nice trade for all involved.

Steph trade was started by Laydog. I wonder if he could have pulled it off? I doubt Stepth, H20 and Spree all could play together. Team too small and need rebounding. Its a nice thougt.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/1/2004  1:24 PM
knicks KVH FOR TT, Results= 1-6

Bucks TT for KVH results= 4-1
ES
DefAndReb
Member: #336
3/1/2004  4:09 PM
But look at their stats since being traded, and they are almost identical, except at rebounding, where KVH has the clear advantage. TT averages the exact same ppg over the last 5 games as KVH.

It's not that KVH is so much better than TT, it's the chemistry. The other guys got used to KVH, and then he got sent away. TT is a different player, with a different personality. Isiah shrugs that stuff off and says it doesn't make that big a difference, but obviously the players see it differently. Marbury wanted a guy to throw dunk passes to, instead of setting up KVH and Doleac for jump shots. So, they give him TT and Nazr and he STILL isn't setting up guys for dunks.

Ironically, Marbury, the one who the KVH/Doleac trade was made to please, is the one who is suffering the most from the chemistry being off.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/1/2004  5:03 PM
Posted by DefAndReb:

But look at their stats since being traded, and they are almost identical, except at rebounding, where KVH has the clear advantage. TT averages the exact same ppg over the last 5 games as KVH.

It's not that KVH is so much better than TT, it's the chemistry. The other guys got used to KVH, and then he got sent away. TT is a different player, with a different personality. Isiah shrugs that stuff off and says it doesn't make that big a difference, but obviously the players see it differently. Marbury wanted a guy to throw dunk passes to, instead of setting up KVH and Doleac for jump shots. So, they give him TT and Nazr and he STILL isn't setting up guys for dunks.

Ironically, Marbury, the one who the KVH/Doleac trade was made to please, is the one who is suffering the most from the chemistry being off.
the chemistry is off but I think it will just take time for that to develop. For the most part the Knicks are playing against teams who have been together since the beginning of camp and in some cases for years. The team NY today has not been able to find its strengths and play to that end. With KVH, Hou, Thomas, Doleac and Marb pick-and-rolls were money plays. Before Marb the motion offense with FWill at the helm worked. For a running team to blossom you first need to play D and then get rebounds, both of which have been missing. Slashers and dunkers - TT, Nazr, Marb, Anderson - need space to maneuver; having a healthy Houston will open the opportunities.

I still can't comprehend the comparisons. 5 games. A handful of practices. Completely different team than what both the offense and defense were built for. New coach. Injuries to a main player.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/1/2004  5:37 PM
Our scoring is just about where it was pre-trade, though perhaps those numbers are a little skewed since we've done a lot of last minute scoring to make the box scores look respectable.

Our defense, however, has clearly taken a step back. Obviously we've been allowing our opponents to outscore us--- but we've allowed over 100 in 5 of the last 12 games. We're not making the stops we need to in order to compete. We're falling behind double-digits and have to fight to come back.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/1/2004  5:58 PM
the real mistake was not trading Spree after the 99 finals. His value was at an all time high, he was 29, his contract was expiring a year later and he played the same position as the other best player on the team.

We could have gotten a bigman, some prospects or the kind of picks that would have saved us this awfull downswing in the first place.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
bigblitz2001
Member: #535
3/1/2004  6:33 PM
Posted by Rich:

The real reason it was a mistake to trade Spree is that his contract was one year shorter than KVH's, which would have made his expiring contract valuable as a trading chip next year. But the difference between a winning % of .433 and .450 is meaningless.

The larger issue is that Spree is entering his mid-30s, and the Knicks weren't winning anything with him or without him.

As Ian O'Connor pointed out in the article linked on the board, Isiah has tranformed the Knicks' roster, yielding greater flexibility.

Everyone had said that Layden was locked into the roster he had constructed because the contracts weren't commensurate with the talent. That has completely changed. Isiah is in the process of putting together a team that will be a legitimate contender. Some fans may want to complain about the TT trade or some other trade, but the Knicks will be players in the trade market again because of Isiah, who has only been on the freakin' job for two months.

Patience is a virtue.

Great Post....I agree 100%. flexability and a team for the future, Steph, TT, Nazr are all 26 Sweets, FWill, DeMarr are younger than that. This team wasnt set up for this year. They will make the playoffs anyway and be in better shape for next yr too.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/1/2004  6:44 PM
Posted by fishmike:

the real mistake was not trading Spree after the 99 finals. His value was at an all time high, he was 29, his contract was expiring a year later and he played the same position as the other best player on the team.

We could have gotten a bigman, some prospects or the kind of picks that would have saved us this awfull downswing in the first place.

now that's truth. Same with Camby.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
raven
Member: #316
Canada
3/2/2004  4:03 AM
Posted by DefAndReb:

100% agree. Would even be funny if we weren't suffering like we currently do.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

3/2/2004  7:05 AM
That is why I am ticked at that trade, Marbury is the guy we are trying to please and he's playing now like he intoxicated, (bad judgement,attitude,decision making).
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
raven
Canada
3/2/2004  7:39 AM
Stop being ticked, it won't change anything now. we have to move on. maybe we'll be lucky and it will work. and one day we'll say, "how a great trade it was".

[Edited by - raven on 03/02/2004 07:40:54]
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

3/2/2004  7:47 AM
Raven to many clowns has tried to discredit my post even the mods and now what I have said is coming to fruition . What the deal is knicks fans can't handle the freakin truth. They would rather listen to lies and fantasy moves in off season. I wanted to do well this yr at least. I really can't see this team turning around after Lenny marbury and Zeke got what they wanted and said "to hell" what we think.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
jazz74
Member: #371
3/2/2004  8:30 AM
Posted by fishmike:

if that had happen back then the people of new york would have rioted. sprewell and camby were, besides maybe derek jeter and mike piazza, the most popular new york athletes at the time. then trade them away after they led the team to the finals? i am not a layzie lover but he did not have a crystal ball and see what the team would eventually shape up to be while having spree. now it is easy to say. there were a lot of "what ifs" back then, the only way spree and camby would have been trade was "if" houston had shot a brick in the first round miami game.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/2/2004  8:48 AM
Can't go back too far, that was 5 years ago.

Knicks are a team about filling programing slots on its network and filling in seats. Sorry. Passionate fans and corp. goals do not mix.

Team should have blown itself a long time ago. Team forever traded prospects and draft picks for players on the decline to support Ewing.

They got lucky in Starks and Mason whom were near stars, but not quite up to the task. If the team just kept developing a few players instead of trying to quickly dress up Ewing, perhaps the team could have had a ring or two.

It is what it is, I don't trust management to truly do what it takes to win. And that is sacrifice. They will do what they can to put a competitive product on the floor.
raven
Canada
3/2/2004  10:37 AM
Posted by playa2:

Raven to many clowns has tried to discredit my post even the mods and now what I have said is coming to fruition . What the deal is knicks fans can't handle the freakin truth. They would rather listen to lies and fantasy moves in off season. I wanted to do well this yr at least. I really can't see this team turning around after Lenny marbury and Zeke got what they wanted and said "to hell" what we think.

sad to see that. one should respect eveyrone else opinion.
Did zeke did worst than layden ? right now I don't think so.
Did zeke did everything right ? right now I don't think so.

We needed to change something. Time will tell if we changed what we needed to.
if that had happen back then the people of new york would have rioted. sprewell and camby were, besides maybe derek jeter and mike piazza, the most popular new york athletes at the time.

Agree with you. A lot of luck for us that yr, but there were no mean to trade them at that point.
Last Year

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy