Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/12/2001  10:46 AM
Here it is:
Will the Knicks set Spree free?

A 2-5 record might not be the end of the world in most places, but it is in New York. And last week's whipping boy, Allan Houston, is being replaced by Latrell Sprewell, who played less than inspiring basketball last week.

A source close to Sprewell told ESPN Insider this weekend that Spree is moving closer and closer to demanding a trade. Given his lackluster play, he may not have a tough time convincing coach Jeff Van Gundy to pull the trigger.

"He's never been more unhappy," the source told Insider. "He's lost his motivation. He wants to win basketball games and that is going to be very tough with this team. If he could help them and help himself via a trade, he's more than open to it. In fact, at this point he's very close to demanding it."

You can blame it all you want on Felton Spencer, but will Marcus Camby really make that much of a difference?

"We just can't hope when he returns he's going to be a savior," Spree told the NY Post. "He's not going to solve all our problems."

In fact, it was Spree who was benched in the Knicks' blowout loss to the Warriors. After the game, he summed up the Knicks' chances.

"There are teams more talented, but if we're playing well, we have a shot at winning," Sprewell said. "If we're not playing well, our chances are really, really bleak."

Houston agreed. "We've said all along that we're not as talented as we used to be," Houston said. "That doesn't mean that you lay down like we've done. Our spirit could be much better than it is. We've been overmatched sometimes, more this year than ever. But if teams are bigger, it doesn't matter. You still have to fight."

But Spree appears to have laid down, perhaps the first step in a series of calculated moves to get him out of Gotham before the whole place comes crumbling down.

In the meantime, the media will continue to dream and harass players about playing in the New York. The latest victim? Warriors center Marc Jackson, who said he would've accepted the Knicks offer of their mid-level exception. The only problem is that Jackson never got an offer from the Knicks because of fear, well founded we find out later, that the Warriors will match.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
VG
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #68
Australia
11/13/2001  2:28 AM
Damn I hope Spree won't go as far as asking for a trade. He IS the team, I just can't imagine him wanting to get out of here after we gave him a second chance.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
11/14/2001  10:52 AM
espn insider says potland and ny are working on this blockbuster:

CAMBY + SPREE + WARD
FOR
STOUDAMIRE + DAVIS + WELLS
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Caseloads
Member: #41
11/14/2001  11:03 AM
Posted by falcindor:

CAMBY + SPREE + WARD
FOR
WHEN DID THEY SAY THAT?

Hmm - I'd do CAMBY + SPREE + WARD + TRAVIS KNIGHT for STOUDY + DAVIS + WELLS + ZACH RANDOLPH + Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/14/2001  11:05 AM
Here is today's story.
Posted by falcindor:

CAMBY + SPREE + WARD
FOR

Will Stoudamire be traded on Wall Street?
by Chad Ford

Damon Stoudamire's reign as Blazers floor leader lasted all of four games. His reign in Portland may not last much longer. Stoudamire, along with teammate Dale Davis, is on the trading block, a league source told ESPN Insider.

A recent hamstring injury and the combination of Derek Anderson, Bonzi Wells and Scottie Pippen effectively stripped Stoudamire of any chance at meaningful minutes at point guard.

The same day coach Maurice Cheeks said he had decided to stick with Pippen at the point, Stoudamire expressed his displeasure and the Blazers quickly responded by stashing him on the injured list. A league source told Insider that Stoudamire was furious because of the move and asked to be put on the injured list and the Blazers have already begun actively testing the trade market.

Stoudamire, who declared on Monday that he was 100% and looked fine in shoot arounds on Tuesday, said his tendinitis started acting up again.

"It was feeling good, but it's just one of those things," Stoudamire told the Oregonian. "I think if you ask anybody that has ever experienced tendinitis, some days it feels good and some days it doesn't. The thinking now is to just get healthy, and then see what happens."

The Blazers, who are stacked just about everywhere and want to avoid a protracted feud with Stoudamire, are hoping to package Stoudamire and Davis together for a legitimate big man in the middle. However, given Stoudamire's size, many in the league feel he's too short to be effective on a regular basis, and with his big contract, he will be difficult to move.

The Blazers talked with both the Sonics and Timberwolves about Stoudamire this summer, but neither team was convinced that he could help. With the Blazers in New York Tuesday, the Knicks surfaced as a possible destination. The Knicks have shown an interest in Stoudamire in the past, and the league source told Insider that Stoudamire believes New York will be his likely destination.

However, for the Knicks to get both Davis and Stoudamire onto their roster, they would have to move a couple of large salaries -- including Latrell Sprewell's. A deal involving Spree, Marcus Camby and Charlie Ward for Stoudamire, Davis and Wells would work under the cap. Whether the Knicks are really that desperate is the question. But you gotta believe that Spree would fit in just fine in Portland

Thoughts?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Caseloads
11/14/2001  11:25 AM
Posted by martin:

Here is today's story.
Posted by falcindor:

CAMBY + SPREE + WARD
FOR

Will Stoudamire be traded on Wall Street?
by Chad Ford

Damon Stoudamire's reign as Blazers floor leader lasted all of four games. His reign in Portland may not last much longer. Stoudamire, along with teammate Dale Davis, is on the trading block, a league source told ESPN Insider.

A recent hamstring injury and the combination of Derek Anderson, Bonzi Wells and Scottie Pippen effectively stripped Stoudamire of any chance at meaningful minutes at point guard.

The same day coach Maurice Cheeks said he had decided to stick with Pippen at the point, Stoudamire expressed his displeasure and the Blazers quickly responded by stashing him on the injured list. A league source told Insider that Stoudamire was furious because of the move and asked to be put on the injured list and the Blazers have already begun actively testing the trade market.

Stoudamire, who declared on Monday that he was 100% and looked fine in shoot arounds on Tuesday, said his tendinitis started acting up again.

"It was feeling good, but it's just one of those things," Stoudamire told the Oregonian. "I think if you ask anybody that has ever experienced tendinitis, some days it feels good and some days it doesn't. The thinking now is to just get healthy, and then see what happens."

The Blazers, who are stacked just about everywhere and want to avoid a protracted feud with Stoudamire, are hoping to package Stoudamire and Davis together for a legitimate big man in the middle. However, given Stoudamire's size, many in the league feel he's too short to be effective on a regular basis, and with his big contract, he will be difficult to move.

The Blazers talked with both the Sonics and Timberwolves about Stoudamire this summer, but neither team was convinced that he could help. With the Blazers in New York Tuesday, the Knicks surfaced as a possible destination. The Knicks have shown an interest in Stoudamire in the past, and the league source told Insider that Stoudamire believes New York will be his likely destination.

However, for the Knicks to get both Davis and Stoudamire onto their roster, they would have to move a couple of large salaries -- including Latrell Sprewell's. A deal involving Spree, Marcus Camby and Charlie Ward for Stoudamire, Davis and Wells would work under the cap. Whether the Knicks are really that desperate is the question. But you gotta believe that Spree would fit in just fine in Portland

Thoughts?

Okay, this is a long one.

I would rather Houston gone instead of getting rid of Spree. Houston can't be traded to a team over the cap.

Spree is ticked at NY, and hasn't been doing well since the season started, but the season is young. Spree leaving is not the best thing though...

I don't want to see Marcus Camby gone, especially for Dale Davis, but Camby is always injured and is a softie.

Dale's contract ends soon though, and so does Bonzi's, so that is good.

Ward for Stoudy is a no brainer.

The thing is, Sonics want Stoudy, b/c he is a young PG, but they are ticked off at Portland for STEALING Ruben Patterson and them getting nothing in return. So, they refuse to trade GP for Stoudy.

We could trade Stoudy + Bonzi + Kurt Thomas(or Spoon) + Travis Knight for GP + Baker (works under the cap) later this year, before the trading deadline and have this team:

PG - GP/Eisley
SG - Allan Houston/Postell
SF - Shandon Anderson/Misc.
PF - Vin Baker/ Harrington/ Zach Randolph
C - Dale Davis/ Ruben-Boumtje Boumtje

In typical Layden fashion, he's going to make a trade that wont make complete sense unless a second one goes through.

If the second part falls through, we'll still have a decent team though:

PG - Stoudy
SG - Houston
SF - Bonzi
PF - KT
C - Dale Davis
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/14/2001  5:30 PM
When you're talking about young, overall talent, Camby, Sprewell, and Ward for Wells, Davis, and Stoudamire does work well for us. Wells looks exactly like a younger Spree with a better shooting percentage. Stoudamire is also very young and by far better than every other point guard on our team. Davis is getting older, but still has some good years left. I really don't want to trade Camby, especially when we don't know what he's capable of yet. This deal is interesting, but it looks like espn insider just put two and two together and suggested a deal like this could be in the works. There's a possibility Spree could get traded, but i don't think Camby will. I think Sprewell, Ward or Jackson, and a draft pick for Wells and Stoudamire would work well. As of right now, it just looks like we are trying to grab Stoudamire though. Either way, i hope something happens because these would be nice players for us to pick up.
Caseloads
11/14/2001  6:18 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

When you're talking about young, overall talent, Camby, Sprewell, and Ward for Wells, Davis, and Stoudamire does work well for us. Wells looks exactly like a younger Spree with a better shooting percentage. Stoudamire is also very young and by far better than every other point guard on our team. Davis is getting older, but still has some good years left. I really don't want to trade Camby, especially when we don't know what he's capable of yet. This deal is interesting, but it looks like espn insider just put two and two together and suggested a deal like this could be in the works. There's a possibility Spree could get traded, but i don't think Camby will. I think Sprewell, Ward or Jackson, and a draft pick for Wells and Stoudamire would work well. As of right now, it just looks like we are trying to grab Stoudamire though. Either way, i hope something happens because these would be nice players for us to pick up.
I don't want us to trade anymore draft picks.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/14/2001  9:18 PM
I don't either, but if you're trying to improve the starting line-up, it's definetly worth trading a draft pick.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
11/14/2001  10:20 PM
Posted by falcindor:

CAMBY + SPREE + WARD
FOR

I would do this trade. I would hate to see Spree go but Bonzi Wells has the potential to be an even better player, in fact he is a better scorer already. DD doesn't get injured and Damon is an upgrade at the point.
Caseloads
11/15/2001  12:09 AM
Posted by VG:
Posted by falcindor:

CAMBY + SPREE + WARD
FOR

I would do this trade. I would hate to see Spree go but Bonzi Wells has the potential to be an even better player, in fact he is a better scorer already. DD doesn't get injured and Damon is an upgrade at the point.
Trade no draft picks. They want Spree to control Rasheed Wallace and harness him
john44
Member: #115
USA
11/15/2001  2:25 AM
i really hope we dont do a trade like this. the only good player we get is bonzi. damon is not much better than ward and davis is big but no offense at all. We need some kind of scoring big man. Also to have a big man play with camby so camby can play Pf and help on defense and run the court better.
Matt
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
11/15/2001  4:28 AM
IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO TRADE HOUSTON, just hard..

Hey I know it's tough but if we're gonna trade Spree I want to see him start at his natural position for awhile instead of SF. Houston is tradeable after December 15th, per example..

Portland trades: Zach Randolph, Damon Stoudamire, Bonzi Wells TOTAL: $15,422,640

New York trades: Othella Harrington, Allan Houston ,Mark Jackson TOTAL: $19,085,000

TRADE ACCEPTED

There were BYC players involved in this trade, so this trade is subject to the BYC provisions of the CBA. Due to Portland and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Portland had to use $2,475,000 of their $2,820,000 trade exception in order for this trade to go through. Portland has $345,000 left of their previous trade exception to use in another trade.

or

Memphis trades: Michael Dickerson ,Bryant Reeves TOTAL: $13,496,256

New York trades: Allan Houston ,Travis Knight TOTAL: $16,350,000

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Memphis and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Memphis and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Memphis would also receive a trade exception of $1,670,297 with this trade. This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this trade.

It's difficult but not impossible. If you want to go all out young first try out what to do with AH before we'd consider sending Spree packing.
prowler
Member: #135
USA
11/15/2001  12:43 PM
Knicksbabyeah I Know i could always count on u to set the record straight because we share similiar views. Let us try to to move Houston and return spree to the two i am confident that this move would reap dividends. Night in night out spree gets the toughest defensive assignment whether it is at the two or the three so obviously his offensive game will suffer somewhat. I am a stern believer in spree. I also like bonzi's game alot but i dont want to part ways with spree. I have a question though is there any possible way we could tap into some of that youth that the clippers have? They are under the cap right and also in need of some veteran leadership on the floor, why not try to move Houston and whoever we have to give for maybe Odom and Q Richarson? I think they are going to lose him to free agency anyway so why not let him come home.
knicker for life
Caseloads
11/15/2001  3:43 PM
Posted by prowler:

Knicksbabyeah I Know i could always count on u to set the record straight because we share similiar views. Let us try to to move Houston and return spree to the two i am confident that this move would reap dividends. Night in night out spree gets the toughest defensive assignment whether it is at the two or the three so obviously his offensive game will suffer somewhat. I am a stern believer in spree. I also like bonzi's game alot but i dont want to part ways with spree. I have a question though is there any possible way we could tap into some of that youth that the clippers have? They are under the cap right and also in need of some veteran leadership on the floor, why not try to move Houston and whoever we have to give for maybe Odom and Q Richarson? I think they are going to lose him to free agency anyway so why not let him come home.
Yeah, good idea... We should also give them something though. The trade you're proposing is too unfair. I'm thinking - Camby + Houston for Kandi + Odom + Richardson
ESPN Insider report on the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy