[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marc Berman writes: " Tim Thomas trade looks like a bust "
Author Thread
LowRider
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #620
2/27/2004  11:01 AM
Is this really true ??? I am a recent converted knicks fan from the suns ( Marbury ). Can someone shed some light on this for me. I don't always believe what a writer prints, i would like to hear your opinions. thanks.
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/27/2004  11:04 AM
LowRider....welcome....lots of people think it is a bust lots don't and think the trade should be given more time. Tim Thomas has played only 2 full games for the Knicks so my opinion is wait and see.

A good article that opposes the Berman stance written by Ian O'Conner can be read here:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/022704/c0127ianc.html
PURE KNICKS LOVE
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/27/2004  11:15 AM
Glad to have you aboard!

it's still to early to say the trade was a bust. Tim Thomas dropped 33pts the other day and the day after hurt his elbw. He should be back soon so give the trade another week or two. We should be in good shape. Nazr isn't this bad either, he just needs to get used to the Knick's system.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/27/2004  11:50 AM
lol.. this is typical NY tabloid crap. How can you judge ANY trade after a weeks worth of games?

I will say the Knicks gave up the best player in KVH, but I understand why they did. The Knicks have a lot of injuries and on top of it all new guys adjusting. Add to that a shooting slump.

Hopefull guys get healthy and we can gel during this very friendly March schedule we have coming up.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
sandiegoknick
Member: #57
USA
2/27/2004  11:53 AM
Posted by Andrew:

LowRider....welcome....lots of people think it is a bust lots don't and think the trade should be given more time. Tim Thomas has played only 2 full games for the Knicks so my opinion is wait and see.

A good article that opposes the Berman stance written by Ian O'Conner can be read here:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/022704/c0127ianc.html

Andrew:

Great article. I am glad you posted it. Knicks fans should realize we were not going to win the championship this year with Van Horn or without. These trades are about the future that we now have. If people would remember back to the beginning of the season, there was no hope for the Knicks now and in the near future. No matter what people feel about the latest trade, if you asked people, which team would you rather have, the team at the beginning of the year or the team we have now, a majority of Knicks fan would have to say the team we have now.
Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
2/27/2004  12:04 PM
I was about the post the same article by OConnor. It is a good one and puts into perspective where the Knicks are now as compared to the Layden era. Come this summer, everyone is trade bait again and NY HAS MANY MORE CHIPS now that they did before. I will bet Andeson could be traded with the expiring contract of Othella and Deke! The point is that the players NY have now (the ones IT brought in) are more attractive to other teams than the players that were here (that Layden brought in!).

Andrew- I think Oconnor articulated very well what you were trying to say in another thread to me the other day.

Gone here
Spoon Norris
Eisley Marbury
Ward TT
KVH NAzr
Doleac DJohnson
Lampe Hardaway
Dice

Seems obvious to me.
Andrew
USA
2/27/2004  12:09 PM
Yes GoNyGoNyGo....it does match what I was trying to say yesterday.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
DefAndReb
Member: #336
2/27/2004  12:16 PM
Berman's an idiot. Really.

Just before last season got underway, Layden picked up Doleac for less than 2mil (remember how much Spoon made? Knight? Eisley? Shandon? Spree? Houston? Dice?) 2mil is peanuts, the guy was picked up to be a 2nd or 3rd stringer behind KT, Spoon, Othella, Travis, etc. This guy hasn't been in the league very long, and was picked up to be a warm body.

So, Doleac gets a few minutes of garbage time here and there, looks a little stiff. Berman has the nerve, the utter contemptible gall to print repeatedly that Doleac is a bust. Huh? Doleac was never supposed to be a boom, so how could he be a bust. It's like saying Dermarr is a bust. A guy who comes deep off your bench isn't likely to change a team's fortunes. Some fans may not understand that, but a veteran sports "journalist" should.

On top of that, Doleac kept getting better, hitting his shots, getting solid R's in short minutes. Still, Berman calls him a bust.

This year, Doleac was our most dependable bench player. Consistent. Not Bill Russell, but did his job and for far less than the other scrubs off the bench.

Did Berman ever write a retraction? No. Did he eat crow? No. He's a fat slob writing for a rag of a tabloid, a paper that routinely prints code-word bigot statements of all kinds (racist, nationalist, sexist, you name it).

Hey, you guys think I don't care much for the Post? C'mon, sometimes it's entertaining because it's so angry and mean, just like most of Rupert Murdoch's swill.

Is this trade a bust? Please, maybe Berman should read today's Daily News, which pretty much sums up the East. Except for three teams, and maybe the Hornets, they all suck. Isiah is trying to build a great team for next year and the one after. He knows full well he can have a transitional roster this season and still make the playoffs. He's building a team for Marbury. KVH and Doleac, while both solid this season, are not right for the Marbury offense. We've got injuries and new faces. It ain't a bust unless they somehow fall out of the playoff picture. So far, no threat of that happening.

And now I will say good day to you.

I SAID GOOD DAY!!!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/27/2004  12:59 PM
I don't like the trade for a number of reasons, but that doesnt matter anymore. What I laugh is guys who make excuses using the word *INJURY* for why the team has been losing. Yes it would help to have H2O back, but the Knicks have had a fairly healthy season compared to may teams in the east. When someone says Ill take Chris webber Brad miller and Bobby jackson off of your team and start a rookie 2nd round draft pick at PF and still beat the Lakers at LA--well the injury excuse just isnt valid for the knicks. Look at the poor Raptors a thin team to satrt with and they lose vince rose and williams? so how can NY fans complain we have a 95MM $ payroll--our best player is playing with a full compliment of frontcourt guys and millions of dollars of healthy wing players--no excuse do get blown out ny these crppy teams.
RIP Crushalot😞
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
2/27/2004  1:13 PM
Posted by GoNyGoNyGo:

I was about the post the same article by OConnor. It is a good one and puts into perspective where the Knicks are now as compared to the Layden era. Come this summer, everyone is trade bait again and NY HAS MANY MORE CHIPS now that they did before. I will bet Andeson could be traded with the expiring contract of Othella and Deke! The point is that the players NY have now (the ones IT brought in) are more attractive to other teams than the players that were here (that Layden brought in!).

Andrew- I think Oconnor articulated very well what you were trying to say in another thread to me the other day.

Gone here
Spoon Norris
Eisley Marbury
Ward TT
KVH NAzr
Doleac DJohnson
Lampe Hardaway
Dice

Seems obvious to me.

the point is that the knicks were better before trading kvh. PERIOD
Yes! - Marv Albert
Andrew
USA
2/27/2004  1:14 PM
BRIGGS..I find it hard to agree with your compairisons. First injuries are not an excuse, just a possible reason why it is more difficult to win games. This thread wasn't even about injuries...more about giving the trade some time.

The Knicks don't have the same level of talent that the Kings do, so losing a key player or two hurts them more than it would hurt the Kings. Toronto is in the exact same situation as the Knicks, and they are not winning games either. Earlier in the season when the Lakers were down a couple of players they had a hard time winning games. Each team is different.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
2/27/2004  3:27 PM
It is way too early to call this trade a bust. It hasnt benefitted the team yet - but even if it worked out next year, you couldn't call it a bust. Yes the team was winning with KVH and are losing after he was traded. However, the Knicks picked up a center who is young to replace the dinosaur we have stuck in the paint right now - and TT is not the worst SF in the league.

However, if the trade Doleac for Nazir could have been done straight up - keeping KVH here - I would have preferred that. But it was all about the #'s(aka $$$), and Zeke addressed this teams biggest need - youth and potential talent at the 5 - which we havent had since EWING. If Nazir doesnt pan out then this trade was a failure, give it some time.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
2/27/2004  4:27 PM
In 1989, the Yankees traded a young Al Leiter for Jesse Barfield. Barfield had a good first few months, while Leiter had surgery and did not recover for a few years. Some, like John Sterling, said the trade was a steal for the Yankees. No one would say that after a few years had passed.

Saying this trade was a bust at this point is moronic.

[Edited by - Rich on 02/27/2004 16:28:07]
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

2/27/2004  5:47 PM
Listen to what you guys were saying. When Milos and Lampe and those 1st rd picks are mentioned and some of us said we gave up too much for marbury, how many said Lampe was gonna be a bust at 18yr of age and Milos isn't good because he didn't come play for the knicks who had Layden as GM.. Now if others mention that TT is a bust and Zeke's players that just came to the knicks are bust everbody has excuses of why they aren't. I hope we beat the clippers tonight because the excuses are getting out of hand.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
2/27/2004  8:13 PM
Briggs point about injuries is valid. TT gets injured the day after scoring 33 points on the road just when you think some adjustments are made and TT suffers an injury and knicks still lose. Years earlier we trade for McDyess only to suffer season ending injury during late pre-season play. Andrew, we are talking major trades with injury excuse making for not winning period.

You think coaching is having a hard time motivating the rest?
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
2/28/2004  1:07 AM
Posted by Rich:

In 1989, the Yankees traded a young Al Leiter for Jesse Barfield. Barfield had a good first few months, while Leiter had surgery and did not recover for a few years. Some, like John Sterling, said the trade was a steal for the Yankees. No one would say that after a few years had passed.

its moronic not to see that kvh is better than TT, it is really quite simple.
Yes! - Marv Albert
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/28/2004  1:21 AM
Well, this example isn't very clearcut no matter how you slice it. The early 90s Leiter wasn't going to take any team anywhere, esp not that team. Barfield... awesome power... of course, the late 80s/90s was a disaster for the Yankees; the best thing going for them back then was Andy Hawkin's laughable 4-0 no-hitter (8-inning) loss which has since been ruled not an official no-no.

This trade has been a bust so far-- in so much as how the team is playing. It has clearly disrupted on-the-court chemistry. Offense has been sloppy; Look at tonite's game vs the Clips: no other offensive player other than Marbury touched the ball for 3 or so possessions in a row in the 4th. Then of course there was the critical possession with the Knicks leading by 1 w/ less than a minute to go. Marbury dribbles... loses the ball... recovers... dribbles... drives... shoots. It's quickly becoming the Marbury show. Suddenly all of his teammates are having as much trouble getting open as Allan Houston does against Bruce Bowen.

Spacing has been an absolute mess offensive and defensively as the team struggles to find a new identity.

Tim Thomas has looked fairly impressive--- hit some clutch free throws and made some plays in the post. The ball doesn't move crisply at all. It's a lot of catch, take a couple of seconds to decide whether to pass or take it alone. A lot of isolations and one-on-ones.

Posted by Rich:

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Marc Berman writes: " Tim Thomas trade looks like a bust "

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy