[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Always look on the bright side of life
Author Thread
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
11/12/2001  9:57 AM
Tough to do in our current situation but then again the 2002 mock draft at http://www.nbadraft.net/ gives us the 7th pick which ain't bad.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/12/2001  10:15 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Tough to do in our current situation but then again the 2002 mock draft at http://www.nbadraft.net/ gives us the 7th pick which ain't bad.

and they have the Knicks drafting a shooting guard?!? my opinion of the site just dropped as fast as Tapscott's stock did after he drafted The French Connection.

Bright side of life list:
1) High Draft Pick
2) Game tickets available against other bad teams.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
11/12/2001  10:33 AM
Actually I've noticed they haven't changed the picks at all but only switched the teams that did the picking. For instance last time I checked (which was after last draft when I first heard of this site) we drafted Dan Gadzuric who is at pick #23 which is reasonable if we had made some good offseason moves. Gadzuric is a center by the way. Dan still at 23 but we moved up alot and now we draft Kareem Rush? Yikes indeed Martin. Personally I hope we get Amare Stoudemire (PF) or Dajaun Wagner (SG but comparible to AI) but if we get first pick it'be Yao Ming 'the merciless'. I'm not all to sure about Chris Marcus (center)though but someone here likes him.
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
11/12/2001  11:46 AM

Actually I've noticed they haven't changed the picks at all but only switched the teams that did the picking. For instance last time I checked (which was after last draft when I first heard of this site) we drafted Dan Gadzuric who is at pick #23 which is reasonable if we had made some good offseason moves. Gadzuric is a center by the way. Dan still at 23 but we moved up alot and now we draft Kareem Rush? Yikes indeed Martin. Personally I hope we get Amare Stoudemire (PF) or Dajaun Wagner (SG but comparible to AI) but if we get first pick it'be Yao Ming 'the merciless'. I'm not all to sure about Chris Marcus (center)though but someone here likes him.
I like Tim Duncan, I mean, Chris Marcus.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
11/13/2001  2:35 AM
Posted by Caseloads:

Is he really comparable to Tim Duncan?? How big is he??? What's he like??
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
11/13/2001  8:25 AM
How are the Knicks going to pay for a high draft choice? look at this and weep.

http://www.ultimateknicks.com/salary/teamsalary.asp

There will have to be major shuffling and re-negoitiating of salaries, and the one to start with is guess who????

I hope there is a performance clause in all the contracts. Maybe the Knicks could cut the salaries based on not getting to the playoffs, having a less than .200 win percentage, non-performance on the defensive end and non-performance on the offensive end.
The Old Man of UK...
Caseloads
11/13/2001  12:42 PM
Posted by VG:
Posted by Caseloads:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/mbasketball/player/profile?playerId=3378

He's a senior this year and alot of NBA2002 drafts have him in the top 10 lotto picks
Caseloads
11/13/2001  12:54 PM

http://espn.go.com/ncb/columns/katz_andy/1267086.html

Marcus' game growining into 7-foot-1 frame
-------------------------------------
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- Chris Marcus wasn't a myth. He wasn't Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster or literally any other tall tale. He was real. There he was running up the E.A. Diddle Arena, all 7-foot-1, 285-pounds of him, getting the ball in the post, grabbing the basketball like it was an orange and stuffing it in the basket. He blocked a few shots, altered a few others and made the rumors of the big man in college basketball being a dinosaur -- an extinct breed -- far fetched.

There was at least one left.

Marcus is closer to Michael Olowokandi, the former Pacific center and struggling L.A. Clipper who played only four years of basketball before he was the No. 1 draft pick, than Tim Duncan. Like Olowokandi, Marcus is still learning the nuances of the sport and hasn't had a chance to pick up poor habits. He's only played competitive hoops for three seasons.

Chris Marcus' game still has room to grow, but his size and raw skills make him a dominating force on the college level.
He's still not as laterally quick in the lane as he'll need to become. But he can move from the weak or non-ball side of the lane to the strong, or ball side, in a step. His size and raw skill should and could make him one of the top five picks in the 2002 NBA draft, let alone lead Western Kentucky back to the NCAA Tournament.

Last season, he was the top rebounder in the nation (12.1 a game) and was dominant in the Sun Belt tournament, averaging 25 points and 15 boards a game. He makes 65 percent of his shots, and amazingly, he has committed only 124 fouls and has fouled out only twice in two seasons of college basketball. Oh, and get this: He's got range near the 3-point line and, in all likelihood, has more potential than Olowokandi.

"I just want to develop," Marcus said. "I don't want to be a nobody in the NBA. A lot of guys get drafted and that's it. I want to have an impact. That's all. I want to do something that a team needs. I don't expect to be a superstar."

Marcus is the product of dedication and desire. He had no interest in playing basketball growing up in Charlotte. It took pestering from his Olympic High School coach Dave Davis to get him to play as a senior. Academics kept him from qualifying as a freshman in college, yet he stayed with the sport, because he eventually couldn't live without it.

"I had the size but it just wasn't something I wanted to do," Marcus said. "My coach asked me what I planned on doing after high school and I said probably get a job. But he told me that I could probably get a partial scholarship somewhere if I played."

A full ride came from Western Kentucky.

Marcus said he wasn't that bad when he got to Bowling Green, just lacked fundamentals. But that wasn't the way senior Tremain Rowles remembers Marcus' game.

"He's gone 180 percent," Rowles said. "He was this close (fingers tight together) from being terrible. But his game and his character have evolved. When he got here, he didn't even talk. Now we've got him laughing and telling jokes. And his game? It's fun watching him play, unless you're the opposing team."

Especially in the Sun Belt, where the majority of teams, save Arkansas State 7-foot Jason Jennings, throw an undersized power forward at Marcus like an early-evening snack.

"There just aren't a lot of back-to-the-basket players," Marcus said. "I love playing with my back to the basket. The game is more rugged down there. Everyone else wants to be more like Kevin Garnett (a shooting power forward/center). But the easy way to score is close to the basket."

Felton said Marcus picked up the game faster than anyone he's been around. While he hasn't mastered the steps, Felton said his center has been quick to improve his footwork and scores in a variety of ways. But Marcus lacks that go-to move, the one that can't be stopped whether it's a hook or a drop-step shot that would be his ticket to a basket each trip down court. But he compensates for his missed shots with determination. He may clank a shot or two, but he doesn't stop going after the rebound until he gets the bucket.

"He's still got to improve his savvy, his passing and recognition and touch with the ball," Felton said. "But the first year when he would get trapped, he would turn the ball over. That hasn't happened as much.

"Chris gives us a big advantage," Felton adds. "He only scores 16.5 points a game, so we can win without him. But he influences the game. He covers up defensive breakdowns and so many shots trickle to him. He's such a vacuum on the glass. He's the single reason we're such a strong rebounding team."

“ There just aren't a lot of back-to-the-basket players. I love playing with my back to the basket. The game is more rugged down there. Everyone else wants to be more like Kevin Garnett. But the easy way to score is close to the basket. ”
— Chris Marcus,
Western Kentucky's 7-1 center

Western Kentucky reached the NCAA Tournament last season for the first time since 1995. Marcus is joined by three other returning starters, making the Hilltoppers a clear favorite to get back to the NCAAs and they could be among the toughest early-round outs come March.

But Felton couldn't market Marcus or his Hilltoppers this season. Western Kentucky struggled to get high-profile, non-conference games, forced to play home-and-home series with Creighton and Austin Peay to fill the schedule. The marquee game is the first one at Kentucky in the NABC Classic Nov. 15. While Marcus stayed home this summer to attend summer school and graduate on time in May, he missed out on playing for the World University Games team in China. The exposure would have helped his name recognition even more, with only one Hilltoppers game -- against Sun Belt West Division favorite New Mexico State on Jan. 13 -- will be on ESPN. No other Western Kentucky game is on a national network.

"It's very frustrating that we couldn't showcase Chris," Felton said. "Chris never had anyone tell him how great he is and didn't come from that culture. He can see clearly and while he has a ways to go, he wants to warrant that high pick. He knows that the draft is just one day."

Felton expects, and in fact, thinks Marcus should declare for the draft in the spring, even though he will have likely earned back a fourth season of eligibility by graduating. Marcus said he could see coming back if when the season ends the Hilltoppers fell short of their expectations -- an NCAA Tournament berth.

But that shouldn't happen. The Hilltoppers are more than just Marcus. David Boyden (7.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg) gives Western Kentucky another scorer inside. Guards Derek Robinson (8.9 ppg), Rowles (6 ppg), Filip Videnov (5.2 ppg) and freshman Patrick Sparks can all put the ball on the floor, drive and shoot from the perimeter. Matching a 14-2 Sun Belt record isn't a reach.

"We've got the depth and the talent to go two-deep at every position," Felton said. "But so far it's been frustrating that we won big last year and our players were overshadowed by Chris."

It's understandable. A dinosaur at his position makes him a must see.

Caseloads
11/14/2001  12:18 PM

Actually I've noticed they haven't changed the picks at all but only switched the teams that did the picking. For instance last time I checked (which was after last draft when I first heard of this site) we drafted Dan Gadzuric who is at pick #23 which is reasonable if we had made some good offseason moves. Gadzuric is a center by the way. Dan still at 23 but we moved up alot and now we draft Kareem Rush?

Guys, Kareem Rush is the REAL DEAL, this year's Jason Richardson... He has range and inside game, could make us forget Sprewell if we trade him... Imagine, we trade Spree to Portland, we Trade Houston over the summer, have Bonzi and Kareem at the 2 and 3's... Would be so sweet. I'd say trade Houston in a draft day deal to get a higher lotto pick, to Memphis for instance for a draft pick...
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
11/14/2001  3:31 PM
I didn't think I could type these words BUT if you can guarantee that AH goes Spree is allowed to go as well in a sort of total REBUILD. Sure let's go young and fast but I think we should trade AH first and wait till the trading deadline to see if it's really necessary to trade Spree as well. I'd like to go young but I love Spree. Dilemma dilemma
Caseloads
11/14/2001  3:43 PM

I didn't think I could type these words BUT if you can guarantee that AH goes Spree is allowed to go as well in a sort of total REBUILD. Sure let's go young and fast but I think we should trade AH first and wait till the trading deadline to see if it's really necessary to trade Spree as well. I'd like to go young but I love Spree. Dilemma dilemma
Almost impossible to trade Houston this year, due to Base Year status.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
11/14/2001  4:08 PM
Hey I know it's tough but if we're gonna trade Spree I want to see him start at his natural position for awhile instead of SF. Houston is tradeable after December 15th, per example..

Portland trades: Zach Randolph, Damon Stoudamire, Bonzi Wells TOTAL: $15,422,640

New York trades: Othella Harrington, Allan Houston ,Mark Jackson TOTAL: $19,085,000

TRADE ACCEPTED

There were BYC players involved in this trade, so this trade is subject to the BYC provisions of the CBA. Due to Portland and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Portland had to use $2,475,000 of their $2,820,000 trade exception in order for this trade to go through. Portland has $345,000 left of their previous trade exception to use in another trade.

or

Memphis trades: Michael Dickerson ,Bryant Reeves TOTAL: $13,496,256

New York trades: Allan Houston ,Travis Knight TOTAL: $16,350,000

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Memphis and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Memphis and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Memphis would also receive a trade exception of $1,670,297 with this trade. This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this trade.

It's difficult but not impossible. If you want to go all out young first try out what to do with AH before we'd consider sending Spree packing.
Always look on the bright side of life

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy