[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NJ.com: Knicks: $30M deal near for Kurt Thomas?
Author Thread
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
2/27/2004  2:35 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1077866253292990.xml

Knicks: $30M deal near for Kurt Thomas

Friday, February 27, 2004

BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

LOS ANGELES -- Kurt Thomas's commitment to helping the Knicks this past month has been exemplary, given that he has been playing with virtually one hand tied behind his back. And now it appears that the team is ready to pay him back.

According to his attorney, Thomas and the Knicks are closing in on a contract extension, one that will probably pay the power forward an additional $30 million or so over four years beyond the end of his current deal, which expires after the 2004-05 season.

"I have great confidence it's going to get done, yes," attorney Jerry Hicks said yesterday from his Dallas office. "I spoke with Isiah (Thomas) shortly before the trade deadline, and we had a good conversation. He reaffirmed his interest in wanting to extend Kurt, and expressed how pleased he has been with all of Kurt's efforts. And as he said all along, he likes Kurt. I take discussions like that to mean that we should be able to get something done."

The deadline to extend players is next week, however, so time is running short. The Knicks would not comment on Hicks' remarks, but a league official familiar with the negotiation said the parties are "getting close" to an agreement.

Thomas makes $5.4 million this year, and was expected to opt out of his contract this summer - walking away from a guaranteed $5.8 million he is due next season - to play the free agent market. But Hicks said that opting out was not as attractive an option as some reports had indicated.

"The primary thing is that Kurt is well-settled in New York, and wants to stay there," Hicks said. "He's been there for five years. And he's very involved in the community - he's established a bunch of close ties, and wants to continue to live in New York.

"The thing about Kurt and his decision process is, he's a thoughtful and sophisticated guy. He understands it can't solely be about money. He's interested in staying in New York. He loves it there. And for him, that's worth a lot."

Still, Thomas may be short-changing himself, as he has never really been paid what is considered market value for one of the best power forwards in the Eastern Conference. If he were to become a free agent, he could have a bigger payday.

By re-signing with the Knicks, he relinquishes his Larry Bird rights, and is restricted to a 12.5 percent raise over next season's $5.8 million salary. Stretch that over four seasons, he is likely to get an additional $30 million through the 2008-09 season.

But Thomas, clearly, is more selfless than the average player. Over the last few weeks, he has played in ceaseless pain from a severely sprained right pinky finger, and his inability to hold off opponents with that hand is making him look as if he is being outworked - which is not something any opponent does to Thomas.

"It's improved a little bit. Some of the swelling has gone down," Thomas said after Wednesday night's loss at Phoenix. "But I realize it won't get better until the summer."

"I think the New York Giants probably noticed what he's done," Hicks joked. "But that's Kurt. I've known him since he was a kid, age 19 or so. He's a warrior. . . . and a throwback."

Notes:

A report out of Boston which said Isiah Thomas met with Vin Baker yesterday was denied by a Knicks official, who said the team president is home in Indiana and has no meeting planned with either Baker or agent Aaron Goodwin. ... Allan Houston said he made progress after a pregame workout at Phoenix, but a return during this road trip -- the Knicks play the Clippers tonight, and Denver Sunday -- is still a longshot. "Every day I try to go a little bit harder," he said. "I just don't want to push it till I get a setback and have to sit out a week and not progress. I've done that before. So I'm just being wise about it."

AUTOADVERT
Rich
USA
2/27/2004  3:28 AM
I wonder if Isiah used the prospect of trading Thomas for Rose as leverage to get Thomas and his agent to agree to a reasonable contract.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
2/27/2004  9:19 AM
We should've traded him. he peaked, can only go down from now.

Getting guys on the downside of their carrer really seems to be our kind of thing.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/27/2004  9:22 AM
I hope they don't resign him and if they do they better get themselves a real top-notch PF and put KT on the bench unless we get a top-notch Center.
TLover
Member: #381
USA
2/27/2004  9:46 AM
The move would be a sign & trade with Dallas involving Antwoin Walker.
Kurt is from the area and go there in a heartbeat, especially if Dallas doesn't make it at least to the conferance finals.
Also a front court of TT, Naz, and Walker can be exciting and there're all about 27 years old.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
2/27/2004  10:52 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I hope they don't resign him and if they do they better get themselves a real top-notch PF and put KT on the bench unless we get a top-notch Center.

that's 2 top-noth things we don't have, you know !
jchi18
Member: #442
2/27/2004  1:06 PM
Personally, I like Kurt. He has his antics and doesn't play above the rim. But he makes his shots (which are important now that Marbury is here), rebounds, and plays tough D. And I don't think we will get anyone better for the same price.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/27/2004  1:29 PM
if it's a sign and trade then I don't mind.
Rich
USA
2/27/2004  4:22 PM
Posted by raven:
Posted by gunsnewing:

that's 2 top-noth things we don't have, you know !

There are only two top notch centers in the NBA.
NJ.com: Knicks: $30M deal near for Kurt Thomas?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy