MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/26/2004  2:45 PM
Baker huddles with Isiah, Knicks
By Mark Murphy
Thursday, February 26, 2004

Vin Baker took his desire to crack another NBA roster on the road yesterday.

According to Aaron Goodwin, the ex-Celtics forward's agent, Baker traveled to New York, where he was expected to meet with Knicks management.

The prospect of signing on with one of the most improved teams in the Eastern Conference has been brewing ever since the Celtics waived Baker on Feb. 13. At that time, Knicks general manager Isiah Thomas expressed interest in adding Baker to New York's upwardly mobile mix.

Goodwin said he also met with Thomas last weekend.

``The feedback I get from each team we have spoken with is that they need a boost, and they know they can get a boost if they bring in Vin,'' Goodwin said. ``It's good to have this dialogue now. This way, if we get the go-ahead to sign with a team, this part will be out of the way.''

Baker is waiting for word from arbiter Roger Kaplan on whether his impending arbitration fight against the Celtics - with the $36-million remainder of his contract hanging in the balance - would be jeopardized or prejudiced by signing for even short money with another team.

The NBA Players Association, which filed a grievance on Baker's behalf Tuesday, has requested a pre-arbitration ruling on the matter from Kaplan.

Baker and the Celtics, who assert Baker forfeited his contract by repeatedly violating his alcohol aftercare agreement with the team, are now waiting for an arbitration date.

Kaplan has also been petitioned by the Players Association to set an arbitration date that falls within the next 30 days.

In the meantime, Baker reportedly will meet with a group of NBA suitors that also includes Detroit, Philadelphia, Toronto and Miami in addition to the Knicks.

Goodwin declined to comment on any team beyond the Knicks.

``Our conversations with some teams have advanced to the point where it is time for face-to-face meetings,'' he said. ``We're scheduling a number of these meetings.''

Goodwin stressed that the aftercare agreement Baker signed with the Celtics will not become part of his arrangement with another team.

The agent added that Baker continues to undergo alcohol and drug testing, however, partly as a way of convincing teams that he is indeed ready to return to the floor.

``He's going through it now as part of his aftercare program,'' Goodwin said. ``But I can assure you that the system Vin had with the Celtics will not continue.''

Goodwin invited an ESPN camera crew to tape one of Baker's workouts Tuesday to help show that the forward is fit and once again ready to play. This is the very contention that the Celtics hope to shoot down in their quest to escape from the considerable weight of Baker's contract.

``We've got a much bigger picture right now,'' Goodwin said. ``We want to say, `Here he is. He's working out every day, and he's fit to play.'

``Right now it goes a lot deeper than his frustration with Boston. But his daily routine is just about to change.''

Goodwin said that the major change involves Baker's readiness to start interviewing - and eventually working out for - prospective teams.

``His daily routine had been a matter of waking up in the morning, dealing with his aftercare program, and then working out,'' the agent said. ``Now it's changed because we're trying to move forward and sign with a team.

``It's time to go out and start talking to people.''

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=402
AUTOADVERT
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
2/26/2004  3:24 PM
In order to play in the playoffs a player must be on the roster March 1st! If this happens it will happen by Monday.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/26/2004  3:50 PM
I hope something gets done on this front, though Sweetney has played well lately in the backup PF role. Right now the only front court player on the team we can really trust is Kurt Thomas.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
2/26/2004  4:15 PM
Posted by VDesai:

I hope something gets done on this front, though Sweetney has played well lately in the backup PF role. Right now the only front court player on the team we can really trust is Kurt Thomas.

and even he ain't as trustworthy as he used to be...
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
2/26/2004  5:11 PM
Posted by VDesai:

lmfao trust to do what? take wide open set shots? lol lol lol
Yes! - Marv Albert
subzero0
Member: #410
2/27/2004  1:42 AM
Man i really hope this doesnt happen. Vin Baker is going to booze out in night life in Manhattan, you know its going to happen. Im want to see the knicks do well, but im not that desperate. If we want to mess up the team why not add a little Anthony Mason to the mix, how about Isaiah Rider, is he still around, lets sign Dennis to a 10 day. People when does this stop? A good player is good only if he is mentally there.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

2/27/2004  7:19 AM
Posted by playa2:

Vin Baker would play better than any low post guy we have right now! Sad thing is he will go to another team like Toronto or philly 1st.

BAKER RISING (dailynews): Vin Baker's list of suitors now includes Toronto and Philadelphia, while the Knicks' interest in the free agent power forward may be fading, according to a league source. The Knicks continue to maintain that they are monitoring Baker, who was released by the Celtics last week and is in a legal battle with Boston after the club terminated the final two years of his contract worth $35 million. Aaron Goodwin, Baker's agent, said that as far as he knew the Knicks were still in the running.

Toronto needs an inside scoring presence and has serious interest in Baker because the club feels it can make the playoffs. The Raptors are expected to sign G Dion Glover, late of the Atlanta Hawks, today after they lost Alvin Williams to season-ending knee surgery.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
2/27/2004  9:13 AM
Posted by playa2:

Vin Baker would play better than any low post guy we have right now!

Be serious. How do you expect this guy to play ? He's already been thrown out by 2 different franchises. They tryied to help him and he let them down.

He will only add to the current mess. We have to find who we are beofre adding anymore chaos to our team.
Baker meeting with Isiah today.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy