[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Biggest sleeper in the draft-literally and likely second round pick
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/25/2004  12:32 PM
Nigel Dixon C He played at Florida State, I remember him because of his enormous size he was something like 6-11 375 pounds and actually moved pretty well and improved dramtically from his freshmen year to almost averaging a double -double in junior year. He transferred and I forgot about him, and WSK hasnt been on TV since Chris Marcus left, but apparently he lost 75 pounds all the way down to 300

Here are a few shots of him--hes going to be 24 soon.

http://bgdailynews.com/bball/kystate01032004_5.jpg

http://bgdailynews.com/bball/murray120702_2.jpg

http://bgdailynews.com/bball/wvt02082004_1.jpg

http://bgdailynews.com/bball/mtsu02052004_1.JPG

and here are his numbers from his senior year
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=4524

again i havent seen him play this year but i did see him when he was near 400 pounds and he was very athletic for a guy that size--now that he is 100 pounds lighter--i would like to see him play.

If hes available in the 2nd round, it is sure worthy of a shot.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/25/2004  1:15 PM
oh we still have a draft pick this year?! i didn't know that! thats awesome!! I love the draft, even if we only have a 2nd round pick. It's great to watch and see who your team picks.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

2/25/2004  1:19 PM
BRIGGS who's the 6'8 guy supposed to be best in country Div 2 in Country.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/25/2004  1:23 PM
I would rather just give James Lang an invite to summer and see if he can fight for a roster spot in Oct.

You can bet by next Christmas Isiah is shopping Deke/Harrington around ($8 mill in expiring deals) along with Shandon for (another) max player for a major talent upgrade.

My point is a 3-1 type trade will leave roster spots open for young cheap guys to work on like Lang
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
2/25/2004  1:49 PM
i really have no clue about div 2.

another sleeper who we could have BIg interest at the 2 guard is Bryan Matthews--he is a senior at VT. he's way better than Demarr Johnson--much more athletic and physical at 6-7 218. He would have a legit shot to make the roster. he currently leads the BE at 23 points a game shooting 48% and he pulls down 9.5 boards from the 2 spot. Ive seen him his whole career and hes really blossomed--very agrresive and smart. I think seniors get0 respect in these draft guru guides, but Matthews is a guy who WILL make an NBA roster. hes Isiahs type of player--the only thing that needs improvement is outside shooting but he has the nba body and skills. this is the kind of kid we would be looking at with 2 second round picks. im looking at C and 2Gs
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/25/2004  2:58 PM
I'd really like to get Herve Lamizan from Rutgers in rd.2. He's about 6-11 215-220. He's real skinny. However he's very, very athletic and can really block shots and run the floor. He has sort of fallen in love with the college 3 points shot, doesn't post enough and doesn't have much game from mid-range, but he's also very raw. His athletic ability and natural talent is hard to match. I think he can become a really useful player with NBA coaching.
TheSage
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #386
2/25/2004  5:22 PM
If u look at his numbers -its obvious most of his points come within 3 feet of the basket when he can hold on to the ball. .4 asst to 3.8 turnovers???? Guys that size aren't sleepers-they're viewed and reviewed over and over before they're discarded
BRIGGS
2/25/2004  5:53 PM
No, that s not uncommon at all for college big men to have a bad TO to assist ratio. Im sure Emeka who is a lock to go number 1 IMHO does not have a favorable To-a ratio. In college you have much less space to work with.

That being said, this is obviously a project player with HUGE upside. You cant teach an athletic 6-11 320 and that is worthy of a second round pick if not a late first. Obviously the dude needs work on fundamentals, but there are very few men on this Earth that big and athletic. One thing that I look for is play against top teams. Miss St is ranked #4 and he put up 15 and 5 in 19 minutes. That is pretty good.
RIP Crushalot😞
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
2/26/2004  5:13 AM
Briggs,

one thing that is impressive with you (no no, not the fact that you can change you opinion 3 times quicker that normal human being can have one), is that you always have an unknown gem somewhere in your pockets. unknown player with crazy potential. you missed your thing, should have been a nba scout.

Impressive.
BRIGGS
2/26/2004  10:14 AM
Im 100% sure that the NBA is well aware of this guy--Im sure he has been scouted over and over--the fact is that 6-11 320 is a BIg man and when you look at the numbers, including the performances against ranked teams, obviously the guy is a player. what type of player, I dont know--I havent seen the guy play but I do know that 6-11 320 is something I would take a sure fire shot in the 2nd round with his numbers. It looks like to me that he needs intensive fundamental coaching, but again thats a huge man who can play.

Basketball is a fluid operation just like any business. You should be able to change your mind on a subject. Did i want the Knicks to rebuild from bottom up--yes I still wish they had but thats not going to be a reality. What is scary is that we have what we have here--this is basically the retool, because we have spent ENORMOUSLY given up enormous assets--so this is the team for the most part. Atleast with portland they have Zach Randolph as a core base in the frontline and no massive commitments to any players. If you are going to --retool--i like what they did and the fruit is paying off for them. Taking on salary to just get rid of CW for Moochie was dumb, alarming and I guess a precursor for what was to come. I think NY ownership moved to fast with everything and Isiah is a guy who loves the limelight--hey big lights big city--although im very happy to have moved to CT 8 years ago:>)
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
2/26/2004  1:12 PM
The only massive commitment I see is Stephon, and at 26 years old its not like he's whithering and dying here.

TT and Penny have two years remaining.
Shandon and H20 have three.
Harrington and Deke expire after next season.
You once said Sweetney was a guy we could really build around... you lose patience already?
Demaar is a young guy with upside, and Isiah is a guy scouring the Earth for diamonds in the rough.

The Knicks obviously need a bigman. Why dont you think the Knicks can package expiring deals next year (Harrington/Deke) or the year after (Penny/TT) for a deal like Portland made?

Why are you patient enough to build around Sweetney and Andre Iguodala who would never play behind McDyess, Houston, Thomas and whoever else ANYWAY, but you cant wait one year to see what a new GM does with a total mess Layden left behind.

The truth is the worst thing Layden did was release Travis Knight, that probably hurt our manuverability more than anything.

Hey Rip... get back to me after NEEXT trading deadline and then you can give me a fair assesment of where this new GM is going.
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
2/26/2004  1:54 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Taking on salary to just get rid of CW for Moochie was dumb, alarming and I guess a precursor for what was to come. I think NY ownership moved to fast with everything and Isiah is a guy who loves the limelight--hey big lights big city--although im very happy to have moved to CT 8 years ago:>)

Have to disagree with you here. CW was a total waste, especially on this team with so many undersized power fowards. At the time of the trade they didn't have stephon and only had ward and eisley.None of those guys ran or penetrated. Moochie was an upgrade over those guys and the trade gave us a productive player for an unproductive one.If I'm not mistaken their salaries were pretty similar. Even with the team they have now(even though i rather see FW over Mooch) I'll take Moochie on the bench than CW.

[Edited by - BigRedDog on 02/26/2004 13:59:18]
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
fishmike
USA
2/26/2004  1:58 PM
um... who's CT? I think Rip was talking about the state
BRIGGS
2/26/2004  2:31 PM
like i said after that trade, we wouldve been better off just releasing weatherspoon and saving the 3mm in salary we took on.
moochie norris is an nbdl talent who got lucky for 40 games and got a mistake contract. i dont care what we needed, atleast CW is an NBA caliber player capable of helping you win games--case in point last night he had 14 points 8 rebounds. if they really didnt want him they shouldve waived him instead of taking on salary + a crappy player. moochie norris is awful--i cringe when he is playing because he is that bad. they have also gone out of their way to fck up FW who has 5 times the talent of moochie. the player is young and he will make mistakes and you have to live with that --its better than watching what looks like a 40 year old guy running around with YMCA skills.
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
2/26/2004  2:41 PM
Posted by fishmike:

The only massive commitment I see is Stephon, and at 26 years old its not like he's whithering and dying here.

TT and Penny have two years remaining.
Shandon and H20 have three.
Harrington and Deke expire after next season.
You once said Sweetney was a guy we could really build around... you lose patience already?
Demaar is a young guy with upside, and Isiah is a guy scouring the Earth for diamonds in the rough.

The Knicks obviously need a bigman. Why dont you think the Knicks can package expiring deals next year (Harrington/Deke) or the year after (Penny/TT) for a deal like Portland made?

Why are you patient enough to build around Sweetney and Andre Iguodala who would never play behind McDyess, Houston, Thomas and whoever else ANYWAY, but you cant wait one year to see what a new GM does with a total mess Layden left behind.

The truth is the worst thing Layden did was release Travis Knight, that probably hurt our manuverability more than anything.

Hey Rip... get back to me after NEEXT trading deadline and then you can give me a fair assesment of where this new GM is going.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
2/26/2004  4:02 PM
I hate Moochie too, but whats your point? Is Norris going to stop us from making moves? Is he holding back this team? I dont know what Franks problem is, or why he's benched (again).

Is Moochie's contract hurting us somehow? I dont get it... you didnt really answer my orginal question

"Why are you patient enough to build around Sweetney and Andre Iguodala who would never play behind McDyess, Houston, Thomas and whoever else ANYWAY, but you cant wait one year to see what a new GM does with a total mess Layden left behind."
BigRedDog
2/26/2004  8:32 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

because we have spent ENORMOUSLY given up enormous assets--so this is the team for the most part. Atleast with portland they have Zach Randolph as a core base in the frontline and no massive commitments to any players. If you are going to --retool--i like what they did and the fruit is paying off for them. Taking on salary to just get rid of CW for Moochie was dumb, alarming and I guess a precursor for what was to come. I think NY ownership moved to fast with everything and Isiah is a guy who loves the limelight--hey big lights big city--although im very happy to have moved to CT 8 years ago:>)

What are the enormous assets we have given up?again the salaries of Moochie and Cw were vere similar. Personally I rather(and I think most gms would) build a team around Marbury(26yrs old) than Randolph any day. The knicks were in a horrible cap situation when zeke took over and he has taken on more salary but its a much better situation. All the salary he has taken on is short term except marbury which is fine. He has upgraded the talent level quite a bit and will be in a much better situation trade wise because of the expiring salaries in the future. Give Zeke the summer to make moves and I'm sure things will continue to improve.
BRIGGS
2/26/2004  10:58 PM
Portland has a better roster than us and I personally would take Zach Randolph over Marbury any day of the week.
RIP Crushalot😞
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
2/26/2004  11:21 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Portland has a better roster than us and I personally would take Zach Randolph over Marbury any day of the week.

Really...I've heard some pretty unfavorable reports about Zach....can't remember where, I think it was a ESPN article. Haven't seen him play much myself.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
BigRedDog
2/27/2004  12:58 AM
Portland had a much better team than we did going into the season, both with player talent and salary cap situation. You can't fault the knicks or Isiah for that.Since Isiah took over he improved the future of this team.
Doc Rivers recently stated that the 2 most critical positions were an elite center or elite point guard, and since theres only a few elite centers picking up Marbury is more important.
Biggest sleeper in the draft-literally and likely second round pick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy