The Case for Jeremy Lin
Author Thread
JCrusher
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3685

2/3/2012  11:25 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
JCrusher wrote:
soundcrib wrote:and shumpert doesn't play out of control? yet he's our combo guard playing point guard in the starting lineup for the new york knicks. go figure.
I never said shumpert is flawless but he gives us defense. All im saying is just relax about lin and stop proclaiming him the next steve nash lol

Lin isn't the next Steve Nash, but he's the closest thing we have to a PG and he'll at least penetrate and dish unlike TD.

Look backup pg i have no problem but just stop with the Lin will give us 10 in a row lol. i mean im not trying to insult anyone buts is a little silly
AUTOADVERT
Knicks8020
Member: #3888

2/3/2012  11:28 PM
JCrusher wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
JCrusher wrote:
soundcrib wrote:and shumpert doesn't play out of control? yet he's our combo guard playing point guard in the starting lineup for the new york knicks. go figure.
I never said shumpert is flawless but he gives us defense. All im saying is just relax about lin and stop proclaiming him the next steve nash lol

Lin isn't the next Steve Nash, but he's the closest thing we have to a PG and he'll at least penetrate and dish unlike TD.

Look backup pg i have no problem but just stop with the Lin will give us 10 in a row lol. i mean im not trying to insult anyone buts is a little silly

Read my post. All I'm saying Lin obviously has some talent and that he's being neglected and underutilized by our brilliant coach, who somehow has it in his head that TD is a serviceable option at PG>

JCrusher

2/3/2012  11:31 PM
Knicks8020 wrote:
JCrusher wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
JCrusher wrote:

Read my post. All I'm saying Lin obviously has some talent and that he's being neglected and underutilized by our brilliant coach, who somehow has it in his head that TD is a serviceable option at PG>

I read your post. You may think i hate Lin but I dont. Its just that i come from a basketball bcakround where you have to prove yourself over a extended period of time until you earn praise even wehn you dont play that much thats all. I dont think its fair to say that lin will be a great pg just because he has a few good minutes.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/3/2012  11:39 PM
People need to slow down on Lin. He's coming along, but I thin the Knicks knew the game would get more intense in the 2nd half and why put the kid in the middle of that when he had a good stint and can grow from there. I wanted to see him play, but then I thought about it and the C's turned up their D a LOT. Who's to say Lin doesn't have problems with their pressure. He's never seen that level of D before. He was shaky just playing in the 1st half.
JCrusher

2/3/2012  11:40 PM
nixluva wrote:People need to slow down on Lin. He's coming along, but I thin the Knicks knew the game would get more intense in the 2nd half and why put the kid in the middle of that when he had a good stint and can grow from there. I wanted to see him play, but then I thought about it and the C's turned up their D a LOT. Who's to say Lin doesn't have problems with their pressure. He's never seen that level of D before. He was shaky just playing in the 1st half.
Thats a truthful point but some feel Lin is ready to be a top pg lol
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
2/3/2012  11:41 PM
nixluva wrote:People need to slow down on Lin. He's coming along, but I thin the Knicks knew the game would get more intense in the 2nd half and why put the kid in the middle of that when he had a good stint and can grow from there. I wanted to see him play, but then I thought about it and the C's turned up their D a LOT. Who's to say Lin doesn't have problems with their pressure. He's never seen that level of D before. He was shaky just playing in the 1st half.

But why TD then? He brings nothing to the table...NOTHING

ChuckBuck
USA
2/3/2012  11:41 PM
JCrusher wrote:

Nobody's saying Lin is a top PG, just give TD's minutes to him is all!

nixluva
USA
2/3/2012  11:48 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
JCrusher wrote:

The Knicks staff KNOWS that the C's will come out of the half and try to turn up the pressure on D. That's something Lin has never seen before. He's never been tested in that kind of game. This was like a playoff game just like the Bulls game. Gotta take it slow with Lin.

ChuckBuck
USA
2/3/2012  11:55 PM
nixluva wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
JCrusher wrote:

The Knicks staff KNOWS that the C's will come out of the half and try to turn up the pressure on D. That's something Lin has never seen before. He's never been tested in that kind of game. This was like a playoff game just like the Bulls game. Gotta take it slow with Lin.

TD doesn't bring anything to the table at this point...look at the stats, both played 7 minutes, and TD produced zilch. If anything you will at least have a backup PG who will try to run some offense, no need to put TD in for any reason at all.

nixluva
USA
2/3/2012  11:57 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
nixluva wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
JCrusher wrote:

TD doesn't bring anything to the table at this point...look at the stats, both played 7 minutes, and TD produced zilch. If anything you will at least have a backup PG who will try to run some offense, no need to put TD in for any reason at all.

OK let me explain it this way. Just last week Fields, STAT and Melo were playing like garbage and now they've broken out of their slumps and are playing well. MDA is showing patience hoping the same will happen with TD. He's a vet and part of the team and we can't afford to mentally lose anyone. At the same time he's also slowly building up Lin. People have to stop assuming that MDA is some idiot. He's been coaching for a long time and knows what he's doing.

JCrusher

2/3/2012  11:59 PM
I agree with you Nix unfortunetly people have Lin on their mind for some reason. i think it has to deal with more that they dont like douglas more than they like lin. I mean anybody who knows basketball knows Lin is just a D League scrub. Im not defending Toney but he has had much more experience and success than Lin at this level so you can't blmae MDA especially when we dont have a true pg
nixluva
USA
2/4/2012  12:03 AM
We still don't know what Lin is yet, cuz he hasn't been tested. I think it's wise to bring him along slowly and let him develop at his own pace. Why force it? If he's a difference maker it will come out eventually. I just don't see how Lin could be ready for the kind of near playoff atmosphere of this kind of game. It's not like he increased the lead when he came in.
Knicks8020
Member: #3888

2/4/2012  12:38 AM
At this point in our garbage season, every game is going to have a playoff atmosphere unless we decide to give up on a playoff run altogether.

That leaves us with two options: play the "veteran" who's proven time and time again that he halts our offense, gifts the ball to the opposing teams like it's nothing, and misses open 3's with abandon; OR we could develop a young player who, despite his clearly apparent nervousness, has already proven that he can penetrate the D with ease (even with Rondo guarding him), get into the paint, run the PNR, and jack up the offensive tempo on the floor.

I'm not saying Lin is going to be the next D. Rose, but it's clear that with a little fine-tuning and more confident play (which will come if he's given minutes and a regular rotation spot) he can develop into a very solid PG that can facilitate our offense.

JCrusher

2/4/2012  12:42 AM
Knicks8020 wrote:At this point in our garbage season, every game is going to have a playoff atmosphere unless we decide to give up on a playoff run altogether.

That leaves us with two options: play the "veteran" who's proven time and time again that he halts our offense, gifts the ball to the opposing teams like it's nothing, and misses open 3's with abandon; OR we could develop a young player who, despite his clearly apparent nervousness, has already proven that he can penetrate the D with ease (even with Rondo guarding him), get into the paint, run the PNR, and jack up the offensive tempo on the floor.

I'm not saying Lin is going to be the next D. Rose, but it's clear that with a little fine-tuning and more confident play (which will come if he's given minutes and a regular rotation spot) he can develop into a very solid PG that can facilitate our offense.

once again your acting like he will be a gtop pg. I mean he was a d league guy so i doubt some fine tuning is gonna make him be a great pg and help the team get good. i mean you have to bring him a long slowly because he hasn't been in big time situations
upstate
Member: #3781

2/4/2012  1:42 AM
JCrusher wrote:
Knicks8020 wrote:At this point in our garbage season, every game is going to have a playoff atmosphere unless we decide to give up on a playoff run altogether.

once again your acting like he will be a gtop pg. I mean he was a d league guy so i doubt some fine tuning is gonna make him be a great pg and help the team get good. i mean you have to bring him a long slowly because he hasn't been in big time situations

He was put in D League to get experience, but at this stage he's way too good to be called a D League guy (big time triple double with a brand new team in his 1st game at Erie). He is a better than average backup PG already at this stage, with major upside to becoming a strong starting PG if given the opportunity to grow. Sure he doesn't look "cool" sometimes, but when I judge a player, I consider his entire package of what he brings to the game, rebounds, defense, hustle to loose balls, smart play, helping out teammates, keeping teammates heads in the game--I think he does all of those better than the other PGs on the team (except a healthy Baron might be better offensively, but not defensively).

CashMoney
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #3374
USA
2/4/2012  9:24 AM
JCrusher wrote:I agree with you Nix unfortunetly people have Lin on their mind for some reason. i think it has to deal with more that they dont like douglas more than they like lin. I mean anybody who knows basketball knows Lin is just a D League scrub. Im not defending Toney but he has had much more experience and success than Lin at this level so you can't blmae MDA especially when we dont have a true pg

How is a player supposed to get experience or have success with no run? Sorry but D league scrubs don't put up triple doubles. He has NBA talent he just needs playing time. TD is in a funk and we need to win games. Lin in 6 minutes last night was -1, TD in 8 minutes was -9. If a player is not getting it done he needs to sit.

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
MarburyAnd1Crossover
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3650

2/4/2012  10:11 AM
CashMoney wrote:
JCrusher wrote:I agree with you Nix unfortunetly people have Lin on their mind for some reason. i think it has to deal with more that they dont like douglas more than they like lin. I mean anybody who knows basketball knows Lin is just a D League scrub. Im not defending Toney but he has had much more experience and success than Lin at this level so you can't blmae MDA especially when we dont have a true pg

How is a player supposed to get experience or have success with no run? Sorry but D league scrubs don't put up triple doubles. He has NBA talent he just needs playing time. TD is in a funk and we need to win games. Lin in 6 minutes last night was -1, TD in 8 minutes was -9. If a player is not getting it done he needs to sit.

D-League is full of scrubs getting crazy numbers.

Carmelo Anthony is ANTI-BASKETBALL
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/4/2012  10:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/4/2012  10:18 AM
Knicks8020 wrote:He was nervous and made some bad decisions, but if you were fighting for your NBA career every time you got on the court, you would be too.
Develop him and give him a regular spot on the rotation. Despite the mistakes, his talent was clearly evident, and it should be cultivated rather than wasted. Did you not see him consistently drive past Rondo on his drives? Don't you remember that crazy play when he cut through Rondo, passed the man in the lane and made the quick pass to Stoudemire for the quick assist? Could you reasonably see BD, Sessions, or god forbid Toney Douglas pulling off something like that?

No one's sucking anyone's dick here. Recognize talent when you see it. Nervousness can be shed with burn.

Was it nerves or is he unable to handle defensive pressure bringing the ball up-court? Maybe D'Antoni noticed that in practice and hasn't been playing him much? Surely he can't be worse than Davis and I want to see him play though. I like Lin and hope he has a long career at least as a backup PG in the NBA.
RonRon
Member: #246
2/4/2012  11:03 AM
JCrusher wrote:

Successful NBA call-ups

Many former NBA draftees, waived players and undrafted players have played in the NBA D-League. Some of the called-up D-League players that went on to have successful NBA careers include Rafer Alston, Louis Amundson, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Will Bynum, Matt Carroll, Eddie Gill, Stephen Graham, Jason Hart, Chuck Hayes, Anthony Johnson, Dahntay Jones, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Smush Parker, Bobby Simmons, Ime Udoka, Von Wafer, C. J. Watson, and Mike Wilks.[17] Aside from these players, there are several successful NBA players who were assigned to the D-League in their first and second season, such as José Juan Barea, Brandon Bass, Andray Blatche, Aaron Brooks, Jordan Farmar, Shannon Brown, Marcin Gortat, Ramon Sessions and Martell Webster.[18]

In the 2009–10 NBA season, a record of 27 players have been called up for a record 40 times. Several of those players earned a season-long contracts after being key contributors, including Anthony Tolliver, Chris Hunter and Reggie Williams (all Golden State Warriors), Sundiata Gaines (Utah Jazz), Chris Richard (Chicago Bulls), and Mario West (Atlanta Hawks).[17]

Currently, there are only 12 players with D-League experience who won an NBA title: Tremaine Fowlkes with the Detroit Pistons in 2003–04; Devin Brown and Mike Wilks with the San Antonio Spurs in 2004–05; Earl Barron and Dorell Wright with the Miami Heat in 2005–06; James White with the San Antonio Spurs in 2006–07; Gabe Pruitt with the Boston Celtics in 2007–08; and, Sun Yue and Shannon Brown with the Los Angeles Lakers, Jordan Farmar, Josh Powell in 2008–09,and 2009-10, and most recently Jose Juan Barea, Rodrigue Beaubois, Ian Mahinmi and Dominique Jones with the Dallas Mavericks in 2010-2011.[19] Bobby Simmons and Aaron Brooks are the only former D-League players to win an NBA end of season award; Simmons won the Most Improved Player Award with the Los Angeles Clippers in 2004–05 and Brooks won the Most Improved Player Award with the Houston Rockets in 2009–10.[20][21]

In the 2008 NBA Draft, Idaho Stampede's Mike Taylor was drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers. He became the first player from the NBA D-League to be drafted by an NBA team. He was subsequently traded and signed a rookie contract with Los Angeles Clippers.[22] In the 2010 NBA Draft, Tulsa 66ers' Latavious Williams was drafted by the Miami Heat and later traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder, the NBA team affiliated with the 66ers.[23]

Thirty-five former NBA D-League players were on the 2006–07 NBA opening day roster. The number increased to 44 players in 2007–08 and then 60 players in 2008–09.[24][25] In the 2009 NBA Playoffs, an all-time high of 49 players were named to playoff rosters, 17 of whom also spent time in the D-League that season.[26] In the 2009–10 season and the 2010–11 season, the number of former D-League players on NBA opening day roster increased and reached the all-time high of 63 players.[18][27]

As of April 14, 2009, there are 143 call-ups to the NBA, involving 89 players. The franchise with the most call-ups in D-League history is Columbus/Austin (15). They are followed by Asheville Tulsa (14); Fayetteville (11); Colorado (9); Huntsville/Albuquerque, Charleston/Florida, Roanoke and Sioux Falls (8); Iowa (6); Fort Worth and Idaho (5); Dakota, Fort Wayne and Mobile (4); Bakersfield and Los Angeles (3); Rio Grande Valley and Anaheim/Springfield (2) and Arkansas, Erie, Greenville and Utah (1).[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Development_League

plenty of players have been drafted in the 2nd round that became stars and serviceable players.
many players that get sent to the D league, come back and find a role, in the NBA.
Stephen Jackson is a player that no one wanted for awhile and with Billups, were journey men before they earned a reputation in the League.

I am not saying Lin will be a star, I am saying he has better PG skills than Bibby, TD, and even Iman.
While TD and Iman have more athleticism, physical talents, and can do some things better than Lin, Lin can also can do things at the PG position much better than either one of them.
We have given TD and Iman plenty of chances to play the position, we are saying Lin deserves a chance to see what he can bring from the team.
Lin is not a bad athlete and has good size too, he has a much higher BBALL IQ than TD, and approaches the game much different.
Iman's defense is great for a rookie and I can see why Dantoni has faith in him but he doesn't look to penetrate the paint as often as he should, while looking to give ISO's
to Melo or Amare 90% of the time. However, Iman has trouble penetrating because of the lack of consistent shooters and the paint is often packed tight.

Lin pushes the ball, plays uptempo, penetrates the basket, and facilitates much better than anyone of the "PGs" we currently have playing.
We need much more easy baskets and area that Lin excels and tries to do every time he plays.
We don't know what he is capable off and its not fair to not give him a shot when TD consistently shows he is incapable of doing his job.
He should at the very least earn some playing time over TD, its frustrating to see our inconsistent play at the G positions, while Lin doesn't get a shot.
Even if Baron Davis comes back, he will not be in good shape till get his legs back, and there is always a chance he will get injured again.
Lin's penetration can force mismatches, with his combination of speed, quickness, deceptiveness off the dribble, and constant ability to penetrate the paint.
This penetration can earn a step for Iman, Melo, Fields, TD, and whoever to be able to be a triple threat, with shooting, penetration, and passing, as Lin breaks down the defense.
It allows cutters, players to crash the boards, and could greatly help Amare and TC much more.
Give him a chance, is all we are saying, he is a smart bball IQ PG, while he isn't a rookie.
Defensively, he is not better than Iman but he is better TD, even though TD has the physical ability over Lin.
He can use his speed/quickness to stay in front of his man, while TD always gets blown.
Mistakes will be made, its part of the learning process, but he approaches the game with the right mind set at PG.

Melo doesn't have to worry about helping the PG out and getting the basketball at the 3point line, especially with TD.
How many times this year, have we seen TD unable to create a good look for the offense, leaving 4 seconds or less to get a shot off?
I think he can become the starting PG or at least the 2nd PG behind Iman and Davis when he comes back.
But he first must get a chance to play meaningful minutes whether its with the 2nd unit or some minutes with the starting unit.
However, Dantoni fails to put him in and repeat the same result/mistakes when TD is inserted.
Free Lin, let him do this thing, lets see if can contribute to the team, run PnR, break down the defense, create easy baskets, and defensively, stay in front of man...

Travla
Member: #723
USA
2/4/2012  3:15 PM
I would like to see Lin get some consistent minutes.....no I don't think he's the next coming but I think he has enough talent to be a good player. I was most disappointed last night to see Lin get early first half minutes and then nothing more. If he did something wrong, pull him to the side, explain it, pat him on the butt and send him back out there. What D'Antoni did last night is hurtful to a young player and I hope Lin is thick skinned enough to deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RPreston01/videos
The Case for Jeremy Lin

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy