Man, looks like Thomas messed up big time with this trade
Author Thread
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
2/22/2004  10:04 PM
Posted by Rich:

The trade looks awful so far, but it's two freakin' games. That is way too small a sample to make sweeping assessments. Give it time before we kill it.

Exactly, we were hearing the same lines about how awful Zekes trading abilities were right after Marbury played 2 bad games here - I dont hear anyone crying about that anymore. Give it some time.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
2/22/2004  10:58 PM
I'll give TT about 2 more games before I'll consider judging him. Marbury's first three games I think were 4 pts 8 assists, 4 pts 8 assists, and 8 pts 11 assists. We all see how much better he really is compared to his first 3 games. same could be said for TT.

I think this trade will look great once H20 comes back. what we're mainly missing from KVH is perimeter shooting. some rebounding too, but TT is just a better fit. Hopefully allen will come back, relieve alot of pressure of these guys and we'll get back to those constant 5 game win streaks.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
2/22/2004  11:54 PM
it seems like lunacy reigns supreme in here especially with playa.

first of all this team was not winning a championship with KVH at small forward and Doleac at backup center. Zeke made changes to create a better fit for marbury. TT is a good player, the knicks right now are playing bad. In time we will see that TT and nazr are better fits for what we want to do. I guess sheed sucks since detroit lost 2 games since he arrived.....

I wonder about some knicks fans....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
NYK8
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #320
USA
2/23/2004  12:13 AM
Dayuuum,give it a brake.it only been 3games wit them not 3weeks.they gotta get the feel n the chemistry of the team,GET REAL
!!!Knicks!!!
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
2/23/2004  1:43 AM
Posted by tkf:

first of all this team was not winning a championship with KVH at small forward and Doleac at backup center. Zeke made changes to create a better fit for marbury. TT is a good player, the knicks right now are playing bad. In time we will see that TT and nazr are better fits for what we want to do. I guess sheed sucks since detroit lost 2 games since he arrived.....

TT is not as good as KVH period. basketball fans know this, and the stats speak of this. how is TT a better fit?well he can't shoot outside as well as KVH,and he cant penetrate as well either. so on offense that is not true. on defense he plays soft but since he has more size i'd say he and kvh are about equal. rebounding?again tt is very soft and at best you could say he is equal to kvh. so no, tt is not a better fit. unless you were planning to have wallace here by the deadline and didnt want kvh to be here to take shots away from wallace. but that didnt happen, and now we got man handled by the jazz and the cavs because marbury is the only scorer left
Yes! - Marv Albert
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

2/23/2004  6:43 AM
Posted by tkf:

I wonder about you , you bring up playa when other fans can see what's up all on their own. Don't use my name chump, Call them out for yourself. Zeke went to far, Marbury is gonna start playing 1 on 5 NUFF SAID!
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
2/23/2004  7:16 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we expected to loose doleac soon ?

He had a 2 yrs contract, so no bird rights, and would have deserved a raise that would have required us to use our MLE to pay him.

At least in that trade, we got something from doleac before he left.

Regarding KVH and TT, I still have faith in I. Thomas because of what he has done before (not the way he has sometimes done it). I sincerly hope he'll be able to light a fire under TT otherwise, we're pretty f..ked. I hated to see KVH traded, but i'll keep on rooting for TT to play well only cause the team needs it.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
2/23/2004  7:17 AM
one last thing, my feeling is that as for KVH, the knicks will make or break TT.
franco12
Member: #599
USA
2/23/2004  7:54 AM
it sure seems to me that we should have gotten a first or second rounder out of milwaukee with this deal-

they gave up a player they had given up on with a bloated contract (tt) and some scrub they sent to atlanta and got back a player playing nearly to his contract $ in KVH.

IT should have said- give me your first round pick this year! to Milwaukee. Did he ask?

Nazr especially has looked lost out there.

TT was in the post alot in this game and when he was fronted, we couldn't lob it in over the defense-

hopefully with some more practice there will be adjustments made on this that will allow the knicks to exploit the defense if the opposition fronts TT.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
2/23/2004  7:55 AM
I must say, I am concerned now. This weekend was a complete disaster. The chemistry was gone and can they get it back? The only good is that EVERYONE looked bad so it tells me that it was just a fluke. The whole team was in a funk. As far as the playoffs go, Toronto keeps losing too, so NY is still the 6. We could have been 2 games up though!!!!!

TT looks bad. He is not a player who you can see on the court. KVH got more involved so that is saying something. I like what I see out of Nazr. I think what NY needs is some injection of nastiness. IT bring Laimbeer in to teach these guys some nasty boy stuff.

West coast...they need 2-2 at a minimum.

Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
2/23/2004  8:24 AM
Posted by GoNyGoNyGo:

I must say, I am concerned now. This weekend was a complete disaster. The chemistry was gone and can they get it back? The only good is that EVERYONE looked bad so it tells me that it was just a fluke. The whole team was in a funk. As far as the playoffs go, Toronto keeps losing too, so NY is still the 6.
I'm worried too. Really worried. If Houston is out for the year then our abundance of jumpshooter's is going to be our deficiency.

I really really hope this TT for KVH trade works out.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
2/23/2004  10:24 AM
Posted by MaseInYourFace:
Posted by tkf:

TT is not as good as KVH period. basketball fans know this, and the stats speak of this. how is TT a better fit?well he can't shoot outside as well as KVH,and he cant penetrate as well either. so on offense that is not true. on defense he plays soft but since he has more size i'd say he and kvh are about equal. rebounding?again tt is very soft and at best you could say he is equal to kvh. so no, tt is not a better fit. unless you were planning to have wallace here by the deadline and didnt want kvh to be here to take shots away from wallace. but that didnt happen, and now we got man handled by the jazz and the cavs because marbury is the only scorer left

listen KVH is a better shooter than TT, I like TT's athleticism, I like the way he runs the floor better than KVH, and I like his ability to take it to the hoop and defend better than KVH. This is why I liked the trade. Now you can spout numbers and all that other BS but we are not winning a thing with KVH at SF, so to go out and get a SF who better fits what zeke has planned for steph and this team made sense. Especially with getting nazr. To judge this trade after 2 games is stupid.... Sprewell was better than KVH individually but layden as well as many thought KVH would be a better fit for the team layden was putting together,(which was trash), but nevertheless it was all about fitting the correct pieces.... The current losing streak to utah and now cleveland is more of a result of not having Houston and the newness of nazr and TT morseo than skill level. If you remember the cavs thrashed us before when KVH was here...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/23/2004  10:48 AM
Well... while most of us that Sprewell was an all-around better player, KVH is the more difficult defensive assignment because of his height and ability to shoot. Even when he's not scoring, teams cannot afford to leave him open. The other thing is that when he's motivated, he moves very well without the ball.

They repeatedly say that Tim Thomas has all of the physical tools--- strength, quickness, athleticism to be a superstar. Unfortunately, I think there gets to be a point where after 5-or-so seasons, this is likely all you're ever gonna get.

It's like with our old pal Benoit Benajamin who bounced around the NBA. Fantastic physical specimen, with the prototypical center body. Decent hands, decent footwork, decent quickness, decent range. His focus wasn't always there and the mental side of the game suffered. He'll always be a guy mentioned when you think of players who couldn't give 100% day in and day out.

As far as Tim Thomas goes... his teammates have always spoken highly of him--- that he could be the best player in the NBA if he put his mind to it. This is his 8th year in the NBA. While he's only about to turn 27 in a few days, do you really believe that he'll just turn it on?

We can live with Tim Thomas's erratic outside shot *IF* he could emerge as an efficient post-up threat. By having someone deep in the post who could catch with his back to the basket, it'll give us the spacing we need, regardless of having outside shooters. He's big enough and athletic enough that he should be able to outmuscle SFs, and out-quick PFs and centers with quick catches and moves around the basket.

Unfortunately, he's more comfortable on the perimeter. It's taken him 8 years to get this far (from the paint)... maybe it'll be another 8 years (at age 34) for him to become a threat in the paint.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/23/2004  11:51 AM
This was a bad trade. KVH is a better player than Tim Thomas. This one is actually an easy argument to win since there are overwhelming stats to back-up my claim.

I said before that this was a lateral move, but after seeing Nazr play 2 games (yes, i know it's only 2 games) he just seems lost. Which means he has low basketball IQ. He's supposed repertoire is his athlecism much like Camby, but you put Camby in any new team and he will produce more than this guy immediately. Man, was I wrong. I would rather have Doleac right now than this guy.

It is no secret why Stephon is having problems right now, Doleac and KVH stretched the floor for him. He had an open lane everytime. He beats his guy and it is lights out. Now, he beats his guy and he has to contend the SF and C lingering in the paint.

I hope TT gets better. I hope I am wrong.

[Edited by - NYKBocker on 02/23/2004 11:53:17]
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/23/2004  1:33 PM
I'm much more harsh on Tim Thomas than Nazr Mohammed, because what I've seen from both of them indicates that Tim Thomas is not a hard worker, but Nazr is. Both look really bad right now. The difference is that Thomas has been a supremely talented, but somewhat lazy, unintelligent player in the NBA. He has a tendency to really dissapear and just watch the action rather than really go after it, and that troubles me. I hope he can motivated here...I really do. But he needs to give the consistent effort on defense and rebounding. KVH might not have been supremely talented in either of those areas, but he used to give it 100% every night. Thomas has the tools, he needs the consistency and focus. A lot of players sometimes never get it. However, I think having a guy like Mark Aguirre on the coaching staff may help him get it. It's just gonna take a lot of time.

Nazr Mohammed has done about as well as I expected from him in the first couple of games. He's not an offensive center, and normally gets "garbage points," i.e. put backs, easy dunks from in close. He is a very good rebounder and I think he has shown that so far. He's got a big, athletic body at center and he can box out. When he gets more minutes I think you'll see him racking up the boards and putting some points up too. He's not gonna look all that fluid on the offensive end, but I don't think he'll look quite as awkard as Mutumbo when all is said and done.

Their deficiencies are definitely glaring right now, because with Houston out we need shooters and a no.2 scoring option. Let's hope Allan gets back here. I hate having depend on players to recover from injuries though...
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/23/2004  2:09 PM
Good point, I hope mark aguire can whip TT into the kind of player he can be.

Perhaps its about potential, and perhaps Isiah and company can whip him into shape.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/23/2004  2:24 PM
Yep, Aguirre seems to be doing a pretty good job with Sweetney. Perhaps he's gonna be a real good tutor for our forwards.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/23/2004  2:28 PM
Regarding Doleac:

For a 15mpg backup, there are few better options in the NBA. He knew his role. As they like to say about these 4-year college "white" players, he's fundamentally sound and "knows how to play the game" meaning that he hits the open jump shot and despite not being blessed with all-world athleticism, knows how to position himself both offensively and defensively.

On offense, in addition to his outside shot he dives to the open spot on the floor for an easy basket or two every game. While relatively easy to guard due to his mediocre athleticism, his man always had to pay attention to him because when left open he will score.

On defense, he puts his body on his man and boxs out. Simple blue collar fundamental methodology. He's not gonna stop a proficient scorer all by himself--- his will impede the scorer's progress long enough for the double-team to arrive. He's not an athletic shotblocker, but an effective positional defender off the bench.

Does Mohammed give us more than this (for 15mpg?!)... well... on defense, because he doesn't block shots he's not necessarily an upgrade over Doleac. He might have tools to be a better defender, but after honing his Xs and Os in Atlanta, do you think he really has been well schooled at playing NBA defense?

Offensively he has no range but can score on a variety of putbacks and other garbage points; Doleac's major offensive weapon was the open mid-range shot, tho he moved well w/o the ball and put himself in a position to score.

Nazr's numbers project better over 40mpg, perhaps making him suitable as a starting PF/C.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
posterchild
Member: #547
USA
2/23/2004  2:32 PM
Posted by technomaster:

Regarding Doleac:

For a 15mpg backup, there are few better options in the NBA. He knew his role. As they like to say about these 4-year college "white" players, he's fundamentally sound and "knows how to play the game" meaning that he hits the open jump shot and despite not being blessed with all-world athleticism, knows how to position himself both offensively and defensively.

On offense, in addition to his outside shot he dives to the open spot on the floor for an easy basket or two every game. While relatively easy to guard due to his mediocre athleticism, his man always had to pay attention to him because when left open he will score.

On defense, he puts his body on his man and boxs out. Simple blue collar fundamental methodology. He's not gonna stop a proficient scorer all by himself--- his will impede the scorer's progress long enough for the double-team to arrive. He's not an athletic shotblocker, but an effective positional defender off the bench.

Does Mohammed give us more than this (for 15mpg?!)... well... on defense, because he doesn't block shots he's not necessarily an upgrade over Doleac. He might have tools to be a better defender, but after honing his Xs and Os in Atlanta, do you think he really has been well schooled at playing NBA defense?

Offensively he has no range but can score on a variety of putbacks and other garbage points; Doleac's major offensive weapon was the open mid-range shot, tho he moved well w/o the ball and put himself in a position to score.

Nazr's numbers project better over 40mpg, perhaps making him suitable as a starting PF/C.
well said techno, couldn't agree more about the way doleac approched the game.
Frank Williams is the best knicks player this year. mad Respect
iGotNext
Member: #592
USA
2/23/2004  4:29 PM
From DailyNews (online) Poll

Sports Poll
Did the Knicks make the wrong decision in trading Keith Van Horn?
Yes
No

Yes 85%
No 15%

Total Votes : 1187
I have a new name for my beloved Brickerbockers, the "Apple turnovers"
Man, looks like Thomas messed up big time with this trade

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy