Sheed Deal: It's Official...Sheed to Pistons
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/19/2004  3:45 PM
Interesting question on ESPN.com

Which one should the Pistons re-sign for next season?
53.3% Mehmet Okur
46.7% Rasheed Wallace

I wonder if the Pistons are going to sign both? Can they?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
ARES
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #406
2/19/2004  3:50 PM
i knew some one would take a swipe at isiah on this site because of this deal. i remember how much you guys love Layden.

I saw old fan took a swipe, and i bet playa will be around.

Atl wanted expiring contracts point blank. the Knicks have none point blank, so dont blame isiah blame layden for giving multiple year deals to everyone on the team
NEW YORK, NEW YORK BIG CITY OF DREAMS, BUT EVERYTHING IN NEW YORK AINT ALWAYS WHAT IT SEEMS
quicksandnyc
Member: #29
2/19/2004  4:07 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Interesting question on ESPN.com

Which one should the Pistons re-sign for next season?
53.3% Mehmet Okur
46.7% Rasheed Wallace

I wonder if the Pistons are going to sign both? Can they?

that's just the question i was going to ask, can they?

i don't think they can but i could be wrong.

if the goal of trading atkins was to clear the cap space to resign okur, they had to be under by say 7 mil. they have the bird rights to wallace now, so does he count against the cap as though he is say "pending" and therefore they don't have the cap room...or do they just get to resign him after they sign okur because they have his bird rights and can go above the cap. and does that mean he has to be signed at a number above his current 17 mil. does detroit want to pay him say 18 mil? for three or more years to keep him? does all of that count against the cap in a way that makes a sign and trade also unreasonable because they would have to take back salary? so do they have to let him walk?
Andrew
USA
2/19/2004  4:20 PM
Sheed will count against the cap until he is signed or renounced by the Pistons. If they need Cap room to sign Okur and he does not have bird rights they will not be able to keep both....unless Okur settles for the Mid level. If Okur has bird rights they can sign both.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/19/2004  4:22 PM
I don't think the Pistons will sign Rasheed. I think they are only renting him for 3months. I still don't see the Pistons going to the finals so I think there's a very good chance he still signs with us for the MLE then gets rewarded later on in his Knick career.
UncagedMonster
Member: #598
2/19/2004  4:28 PM
The Pistons cannot sign both Rasheed and Okur which is why the trade is being portrayed as a rental for Detroit. They do not own Okur's Bird rights as he only signed a two year deal and not three years as required to retain the Bird rights. Therefore they cannot go over the cap to resign Okur. In order to be under the cap they must renounce the rights to Rasheed after the season (and give up his Bird rights in the process)so they can sign Okur. They technically could resign Rasheed to a max deal but the object of this trade was to rent Wallace for the stretch run and rid themselves of Chucky Atkins' salary to be far enough under the cap to offer more than the midlevel exception to Okur. They did not want to be stuck with the same scenario that GS faced with Arenas last year. I still think we have a great shot at Rasheed in the summer if he is indeed willing to sign for the MLE as reported.
Andrew
USA
2/19/2004  4:39 PM
UncagedMonster...thanks for the explaination. Rasheed in the summer sounds good to me.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
gunsnewing
USA
2/19/2004  4:42 PM
The real question here is who will prevail. The Wallaces' in Detroit or the Thomas's of the New York Knicks
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

2/19/2004  4:45 PM
My point is you always go for a good big man before a good lil man . But y'all don't hear me though. Did you see Wallace play last night against jersey? He was awesome!!!!!
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Andrew
USA
2/19/2004  4:50 PM
Posted by playa2:

My point is you always go for a good big man before a good lil man . But y'all don't hear me though. Did you see Wallace play last night against jersey? He was awesome!!!!!

This wasn't good big man vs good little man. This was good big man vs super point guard....with a chance to get the good big man for 'free' in the off season.

How many times are you going to post the same thing?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
gunsnewing
USA
2/19/2004  4:55 PM
by the way Wallace lastnight went 8 for 24. Chucked up some bad 3's and only grabbed 6 rebounds.
playa2

2/19/2004  5:02 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

by the way Wallace lastnight went 8 for 24. Chucked up some bad 3's and only grabbed 6 rebounds.

Did you watch the game? I did he played with scrubs and had to play too many minutes that is probably why his % was wayyyy off. He shoots 44% from the field and 34% from 3pt what are you talking about. Man guns Im starting to wonder about you
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
sandiegoknick
Member: #57
USA
2/19/2004  5:03 PM
Posted by Andrew:

[quote]Posted by playa2:

Have you seen Marbury play since he has been with the Knicks? He has been awesome!!!! And he makes other people better. Don't get me wrong I want Rasheed as do others, but we can all play Monday Morning quarterback and say we should have gotten Rasheed first, but who knows if Marbury and Penny would have been available. I understand how important a big man is but I like the fact IT is building around Marbury. You have to admit, Marbury has been incredible.
Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster
playa2

2/19/2004  5:09 PM
Sandy marbury has been more than i could have ever imagine, but another thing is we have had such poor pg play in past we forgot what a pg actually does so what he has been doing in magnified. Frank is not the best but he couuld have only been better by now if given starter minutes. Hey we all have opinions and that's mine.
gunsnewing
USA
2/19/2004  5:16 PM
hey Playa, pipe down! I did see the game for your opinion the problem is you acted like he had a monster game and he didn't. He did look good earlier before he missed those key 3's.
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
2/19/2004  5:19 PM
Posted by playa2:

Sandy marbury has been more than i could have ever imagine, but another thing is we have had such poor pg play in past we forgot what a pg actually does so what he has been doing in magnified. Frank is not the best but he couuld have only been better by now if given starter minutes. Hey we all have opinions and that's mine.

Well dont say you opinion 2593 times. You're very lucky the mods haven't banned you yet.
playa2

2/19/2004  5:23 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

hey Playa, pipe down! I did see the game for your opinion the problem is you acted like he had a monster game and he didn't. He did look good earlier before he missed those key 3's.

Guns did you see how easy his turnaround post jump shot ws? Did you see him block shots in paint, did you see his versatility playing inside outside. In the east he's a Monster quit playing man this was against the "NETS" he had scrubs on his team cmon man.
bigblitz2001
Member: #535
2/19/2004  6:50 PM
AAHHH Playa....I agree with you.

You DO always get the good big man before the good lil man.

The problem is Marbury is a GREAT lil man. So I would choose the great lil man over the good big man anyday. If you dont think Starbury is a great player in this league then that is your opinion, I think he is top 2-3 at his position which makes him a great NBA player.
playa2

2/19/2004  7:34 PM
Bigblitz, With the big pickup of R. Wallace if Detroit doesn't go to the finals I will be shocked this is the team to beat now !
bigblitz2001
Member: #535
2/19/2004  7:45 PM
Posted by playa2:

Bigblitz, With the big pickup of R. Wallace if Detroit doesn't go to the finals I will be shocked this is the team to beat now !

Cant argue with that Sheed should be a force in the east. And detroit had the second best record in the east without him. This only improves their team.
Sheed Deal: It's Official...Sheed to Pistons

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy