[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hawks has waived Michael Doleac
Author Thread
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #192
2/18/2004  3:41 PM
http://www.nba.com/transactions/current_month_transactions.html

Do you think we should resign him (if he agrees to of course)? I'm kind of debating on that. He played well with Marbury. But he will hurt the minutes of the newcomers and players like Sweetney, who really impressed me last nite.
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/18/2004  3:46 PM
He has to clear waivers first...I doubt the Knicks will get a chance at signing him, but you never know.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/18/2004  4:01 PM
With his micro-sized contract, I'd imagine there are quite a few teams under the cap that could use him. Utah would be a bit of a homecoming for him--- they have all sorts of big man injury problems. There he could rise to 3rd or 4th option in the offense. :)
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Caseloads
Member: #41
2/18/2004  4:15 PM
Doleac Waived in Possible Pre-Trade Move

The Michael Doleac Era is over in Atlanta.

Despite numerous teams being interested in Doleac, whom the Hawks just acquired in the Nazr Mohammed deal, the team elected to waive the 6’11 center instead on Wednesday. Should Doleac clear waivers, the Hawks are still on the hook for the remainder of his salary and his cap number, but with so many interested parties, some of which are playoff contenders, it’s more likely that the team will not be responsible for that money.

So, if there are so many suitors, why not make a trade?

The answer to that question may be linked to the question of how long the Rasheed Wallace era is going to last in Atlanta.

It’s possible that the motivation behind the release was that of roster space, as in trying to clear some space on the team in case of a possible 4 for 1 deal for Wallace, as has been rumored in many medium recently.

It’s also possible that Atlanta could not find a taker for Doleac that would only give a draft pick back, meaning that there had to be a player involved coming back to Atlanta. That player may not have as assured of being claimed on waivers as is Doleac, so Atlanta might have faced a situation where they would be on the hook for some dead money.

Suffice to say that the release of Doleac has heightened anticipation of a possible deal for Wallace, who is scheduled to play what has to be the most watched Hawks game of the season Wednesday night in New Jersey, and has cranked up the growing rumor mill that looks to have no end until a deal is done or the trading deadline is passed Thursday afternoon.

To fill out the roster for the game against the Nets, the Hawks did sign veteran center Mamadou N'diaye, most recently with the National Basketball Development League's (NBDL) Asheville Altitude, to a 10-day contract, as had been previously reported.

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=418
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/18/2004  5:03 PM
as long as he doesn't go to NJ I don't care. It's funny because the Nets fans are ripping on us abot being so excited about our ****ty team. Then all of a sudden they want Doleac and KVH lol
hDavis
Member: #494
USA
2/18/2004  6:09 PM
i think it would be cool to get doleac back he was playing well with steph for a while
ANOTHER Knick turnover! -Marv Albert
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
2/18/2004  6:14 PM
Isiah was on with Francesa today. He made it sound as if Doleac is coming back to the Knicks.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/18/2004  6:24 PM
Couldn't Atlanta have gotten a 2nd round pick from someone for Doleac? What's the trade value (in $) of a 2nd rounder?
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
TheSage
Member: #386
2/18/2004  9:34 PM
There is 0 trade value
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
2/18/2004  9:39 PM
I posted in another thread on this topic that Doleac may end up back here, and that was before Isiah's interview on 660AM.

Herb Williams did the same thing a few years ago. He was traded to Toronto, and after they waived him, he came right back to the Knicks. (Actually he's been here ever since.)

I have never had an issue with Mike Doleac. He's a serviceable role-player and fits in well with the team as it's currently constructed.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
TRU
Member: #196
USA
2/19/2004  6:48 AM
Word, 'Core. Plus he can help in the continutity department. All this turnover is bound to cause problems at some point. Doleac is one of the few players left who's been through all of this season's turmoil.

When things come up, little things that make the newer players uncomfortable ("where can I get my dry cleaning done around 34th st.?") he'll be another player that can answer such questions.

Plus, playoff time is about having the more players that can hit big shots in a half court offense late in the shot clock than your opponent. This is why Kurt should not be traded. This is why I think Van Horn should still be here. This is why Doleac should be brought back.

You never know whose hands the ball will end up in with 6 on the shot clock and four minutes left in the fourth quarter in game 4 of a series, forced to take a potentially game-deciding shot. I'd prefer Marbury or Allan to take a shot, but either or both might be off or double-teamed or on the bench or injured. Great teams have lots of people who can knock it down, and do. IMO, Kurt can do it, and has. Doleac can do the same. Keith is such a player, Tim Thomas is not. As it stands, we only have two players who can do that sort of thing, and that's not enough to go far in the playoffs.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
BigRedDog
Member: #569
2/19/2004  7:45 AM
Prediction-Doleac will be back with Knicks, Mutombo will be traded for player or draft pick.
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Member: #192
2/19/2004  9:39 AM
Yeah, I started to like his chance for coming back too, especially if Mutombo is gone. Plus, they don't have to re-shoot that Continental commercial with Doleac (and Houston and Sweetney) in it

[Edited by - newbie on 02/19/2004 09:40:33]
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
2/19/2004  9:54 AM
I forgot that the Knicks can just claim him off of waivers and not worry about resigning him. I guess we just have to hope that the Clips, Utah...maybe even Golden State don't trya nd pick him up. Denver has a better record than we do, so the Knicks would get a shot at Doleac before the Nuggs did.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Hawks has waived Michael Doleac

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy