2/18/2004  11:12 AM
Can someone post today's insider?

Thanks.
AUTOADVERT
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
2/18/2004  4:48 PM
Yes someone please post the whole basketball section.
FrenchKnicks
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #147
France
2/18/2004  4:53 PM
Are there any big deals left to be made?

By Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Send an Email to Chad Ford Wednesday, February 18
Updated: February 18
11:45 AM ET

Rumor mongers . . . start your engines.

With about 36 hours left until the NBA's Thursday trade deadline, the rumors were flying fast and furious Tuesday night as teams talked and talked and talked about making deals.

The big question on everyone's mind? Will there be yet another huge trade before Thursday?

There's a lot of small talk right now about cap positioning, draft picks and minor players, but after an unbelievable trading season that's seen big names like Stephon Marbury, Rasheed Wallace, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Ricky Davis, Bonzi Wells, Keith Van Horn, Tim Thomas, Theo Ratliff and Penny Hardaway already traded, is there anyone left out there to trade?

Here's what we we're hearing as of late Tuesday night . . .

# Allen Iverson's latest antics, including missing practice in Denver on Monday and seething on the bench Tuesday night, haven't helped things in Philly. Iverson is already complaining about new head coach Chris Ford, and tensions continue to rise.

"I don't want to be treated like this," Iverson said after Tuesday's game. "If I get treated like this every day, I'd tell my family we've got to go. We've got to get out of here."

Philly has several smaller trades that it can make if it believes that moving a player like Eric Snow or Aaron McKie will fix things. But with the Philly media beginning to turn on AI as well, GM Billy King may have a rare opening to trade Iverson as the climate sours in Philly.

Allen Iverson
Shooting Guard
Philadelphia 76ers

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
40 27.4 3.9 6.5 .396 .753

The problem is getting equal value for the 28-year-old draw. Speculation has centered on Atlanta, where the Hawks are shopping Rasheed Wallace. Iverson is an instant draw in Atlanta, even though he would eat away most of the team's cap room this summer. Wallace, a Philly native, would help a very weak Philly front line with minimal risk because his $17 million contract comes off the books next season. The problems, however, are obvious. Wallace could very well leave this summer or bomb there, leaving the Sixers with nothing in return for Iverson.

# The other speculated destination for Iverson, Houston, isn't going to happen. While an Iverson-for-Steve Francis swap sounds sexy enough, a source in Houston told Insider that Francis isn't going anywhere right now. This summer? That's a different story.

# Speaking of Rasheed, rumors are going to continue to swirl until the deadline about Detroit and New York's interest in 'Sheed. As Insider first reported on Tuesday, the Pistons' offer for Rasheed (the expiring contracts of Bob Sura, Zeljko Rebraca and Lindsey Hunter and a 2004 first-round pick) also included the contract of Chucky Atkins -- essentially killing the deal before it ever got started.

Pistons president Joe Dumars, who spoke on the record about the deal to the Detroit News in Wednesday's editions, confirmed our story.

"There is no deal," Dumars told the Detroit News. "There is no deal pending, no deal is imminent. Have we talked to Atlanta? Yes, but I guarantee you that every team is talking to everybody right now."

While the Pistons can refashion the deal by taking out Atkins and putting in the expiring contracts of Darvin Ham and Tremaine Fowlkes, Dumars claimed he hasn't done that. He likely won't. Dumars needs that first-round pick to package with either Atkins or Williamson to clear the cap room necessary to re-sign Mehmet Okur this summer. If he can get either of those two players off the books before July 15th, Okur is as good as gone.

The Knicks are working hand in hand with Wallace's agent, Bill Strickland, to try to get 'Sheed to New York now.

"Our preference is to make that now, before the deadline, but Rasheed would be willing to explore the option of a midlevel exception this summer," Strickland told the New York Times.

The hurdle for Strickland is that the Knicks don't have the expiring contracts the Hawks are looking for. The Times claims that a combination of Kurt Thomas, Othella Harrington, Dikembe Mutombo and either Mike Sweetney or Frank Thomas could get a deal done . . . but none of those players has the type of expiring contract the Hawks are looking for. Unless the Knicks can find a third team with expiring contracts that is willing to take on all of those contracts, chances are 'Sheed stays put.

Erick Dampier
Center
Golden State Warriors

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
51 11.9 11.6 0.7 .517 .636

# The Knicks' pursuit of Erick Dampier also appears to be a pipe dream. The Warriors want expiring contracts for Dampier, and, again, the Knicks don't have any. They could try to package Kurt Thomas and Mike Sweetney together with the thinking that Thomas would opt out of his contract this summer to get out of Golden State . . . but that's a pretty big risk by both sides at this point.

Memphis is the other team that likes Dampier. The Grizzlies pursued him hard last summer and came close to a deal, but now things are trickier. If the Grizzlies put together a package of Stromile Swift, Jake Tsakalidis and either Earl Watson or Troy Bell, you have to believe that the Warriors would jump . . . but is Dampier really worth it?

If I were Bulls GM John Paxson, I'd try to see if the Warriors would be willing to swap Dampier and Jason Richardson for Eddy Curry, Jamal Crawford and Marcus Fizer. The move would give the Warriors much more cap flexibility and a couple of prospects in Curry and Crawford as well give the Bulls their more traditional two guard and a center who would clean up in the East.

Jerry Stackhouse
Guard-Forward
Washington Wizards

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
6 16.0 3.5 4.2 .478 .706

# Speaking of the Bulls, there was talk on Tuesday that the team was talking with the Wizards about a possible Crawford-and-Fizer-for-Jerry Stackhouse swap. Clearly Paxson is trying to figure out a way to add the missing piece that turns the Bulls into a playoff contender. Why would the Wizards even consider it? The move would give them a little over $10 million to play with in free agency should they decide not to re-sign Crawford or Fizer. Sources claim that the deal is unlikely to happen, but I thought it was an interesting proposal.

# Speaking of the Wizards, they are resisting the sudden surge in interest toward Kwame Brown. Says one Wizards' source: "Our phone hasn't stopped ringing about Kwame but we're not moving him. Our investment is just now paying off. Why would we move him?" What's interesting is that last year the Sonics turned down an offer of Brown for Vladimir Radmanovic and Brent Barry. Now they're getting laughed at for proposing it.

# Speaking of the Sonics, it appears that the team has finally come to the realization that it has a small window of opportunity to make something happen with the expiring contract of Brent Barry and is talking to a number of teams around the league. One source told Insider on Tuesday that Vladimir Radmanovic's agent has been pushing for the Sonics to get Radmanovic out of Seattle. Radmanovic and Barry have the same agent, David Bauman, and he's been making phone calls of his own trying to find a package that works for the Sonics. With other assets like Ronald Murray and, to a lesser extent, Jerome James, what's the hold-up?

One league executive said that the Sonics are asking for too much. "They want a lot for those guys, and I mean a lot," the exec told Insider. "There's a lot of interest in that package, but no one's prepared to give up a seven footer or an all-star for them. I think right now that's what Rick (Sund) feels he needs to justify the trade. If he sticks to that line of thinking, I don't see anything happening."

Talks with the Bulls, a natural trading partner, have gone nowhere. The Sonics are insisting that either Eddy Curry or Tyson Chandler be included in any deal. Paxson is willing to talk, but is only willing to give up Crawford and/or Fizer in return. Talks with the Pacers (for Al Harrington and Austin Croshere) and the Wizards (for Kwame and Christian Laettner) are also going nowhere.

The hottest rumor on Tuesday evening had the Sonics talking to the Raptors about a swap that would send Barry and Radmanovic to Toronto for Donyell Marshall and Morris Peterson.

There was also talk that the trade could be expanded into a three-way deal with the Blazers, but that's less likely to happen. The Raptors have been in the hunt for a center so that they can move rookie Chris Bosh back to his natural position at power forward. Under that arrangement, Barry, Michael Curry and Michael Bradley (all in the last year of their deals) would head to Portland, Davis and Radmanovic would go Toronto, and Marshall and Peterson would head to Seattle. The move would get much needed cap relief to the Blazers, address the Sonics need for a power forward and give the Raptors a veteran center and promising versatile forward in Radmanovic.

The same sources said that the Sonics are concerned that they're not getting enough in return for Radmanovic. If Sund can't get what he wants, there shouldn't be any reason to rush into a trade. Radmanovic, Murray and James will all have value this summer. But still, with the Sonics in the hunt for a playoff berth and the availability of Barry's expiring contract, it's hard to believe that the team can't find a deal that makes sense for them.

# One more tidbit worth reporting. Tracy McGrady can not opt out of his contract this summer. We've talked about this before, but I keep seeing it reported on TV (the Bucks announcers said it 10 times Tuesday night during the Bucks-Magic game) that he's likely gone this summer. McGrady has an ETO (early termination option) on his contract after the 2004-05 season -- not this summer.

Around the League
There are a ton of mid-to-smaller deals also making the rounds. Here are the other things being talked about out there.

# The Mavericks have been unusually quiet. That seems to be freaking out a number of GMs who insisted, without any type of concrete evidence mind you, that the Mavs were working on something big.

Gordan Giricek
Guard-Forward
Orlando Magic

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
47 10.1 3.5 1.7 .435 .835

# The Magic's Gordan Giricek seems to be a hot name at the moment. Not only is his salary reasonable ($1.5 million) but he's also a free agent this summer. In almost every scenario he's being packaged with Tyronn Lue or Juwan Howard. Among the rumored suitors? The Bulls (offering Fizer for Lue and Giricek), the Pistons (offering Chucky Atkins), the Jazz (offering Carlos Arroyo and DeShawn Stevenson) and the Celtics (offering Chris Mills and Chris Mihm for Giricek, Howard and Pat Garrity).

# The speculation running rampant on Tuesday was that the Celtics were going to send Mills and Mihm to Orlando for Howard, Garrity and Giricek. Obviously it didn't happen, though one Celtics source remains optimistic that they can convince the Magic to pull the trigger.

I wonder, however, whether the Jazz wouldn't be a better suitor. Jazz GM Kevin O'Connor denied interest in Giricek and Lue last week when the rumor first popped up, but it does make some sense for Utah if Howard got included in the deal. The Jazz need some frontcourt help in the worst way, and Howard seems like the perfect type of player for the Jazz's system.

Howard's long-term deal shouldn't hinder the Jazz too much as they'd still be looking at more than $20 million in cap room even with Howard on the books. If the Jazz were willing to take Howard, Giricek and Lue along with Andrew DeClercq and possibly Pat Garrity and be willing to give up Arroyo and Stevenson, that could make some long-term cap sense for the Magic and give the Jazz some more tools to work with.

# While a deal for Steve Francis isn't going to happen before the deadline, the Rockets are trying to see whether they can find someone interested in Bostjan Nachbar, Maurice Taylor and/or Kelvin Cato. With the Celtics looking for more firepower, and with their two expiring contracts, you can add them to the list of potential suitors. Ainge is a big fan of Nachbar's. All the Rockets are looking for is a little more cap flexibility at this point.

# The Hawks are already trying to move Michael Doleac, and reports in both the Chicago Sun Times and Tribune claim that a possible three-way deal with Detroit that sends Doleac to the Bulls could be in the works. Under that scenario Fizer would head to Detroit. It's unclear who the Pistons would be giving up to make the trade work under the CBA. The Jazz and Nuggets have also shown some interest in Doleac, whose $1.6 million deal expires at the end of the season.

# The chances that the long-rumored Jerome Williams-to-Philly-for-Aaron Mckie trade happens are "very high," according to one league source.

Peep Show

NBA Insider
Wednesday, February 18
Updated: February 18
11:03 AM ET

Milwaukee Bucks: HHead coach Terry Porter is having a hard time describing his team's 19-2 run against the Magic Tuesday night. "I don't think in all my years I've ever seen anything like that," Porter said in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "(Orlando) did a great job of closing the gap and then, all of a sudden, it was just, bam: dunk after dunk after dunk after layup after layup. I don't know how to describe it. I just don't." Even Tracy McGrady was envious after the 124-104 game. "Those guys were out there having fun and I'm a little jealous," said Orlando's Tracy McGrady. "It was very embarrassing."

Seattle SuperSonics: Those trade whispers are getting awfully loud in Seattle these days. "I think we're maybe a little more active because we have more assets than last year," general manager Rick Sund said in the Seattle Times. "Last year we had a situation where we pretty much were going with the youth route and Gary (Payton) was the only one of our players with any real value. You look at our team now, and we have some young pieces. So there's a lot of dialogue going on around the league. I don't know if it's posturing for June or if it's anything substantial." Sund wouldn't mention any names but didn't deny any, either. "In terms of consummating a deal or putting something together, who knows?" he said. "If somebody calls and we get wind of a deal, who knows? You're always looking to upgrade your club if you can. But you don't want to do a trade just to do a trade."

New Jersey Nets: There's no "I" in team or Nets or Frank Lawrence as New Jersey goes for a record 10th straight victory for a new coach tonight. "It would be hypocritical of me to seek any kind of joy out of that individual goal knowing, No. 1, it's not really an individual accomplishment," Frank said in the New York Post. "It's a team accomplishment, totally, because I had nothing to do with winning those games. I guess there are milestones for everything, but we're more concerned with team milestones."

Gaines
Orlando Magic: Reece Gaines is the fourth-string point guard for the Magic behind Tyronn Lue, Rod Strickland and Shammond Williams, and his agent doesn't want to have to use his thumb. "Reece may need a fresh start. He's caught in a crossfire," agent Andy Miller said in the Orlando Sentinel. "Philosophically, does it not make sense to get a fresh start?" Magic officials wouldn't say if Gaines was on the block or not. The rookie has played in 20 games so far this season and scored 18 points.

Atlanta Hawks: Just because the Hawks are saving money with all their recent deals doesn't mean they're only trying to save money. Or something like that. "This is not a save-money situation," general manager Billy Knight said in the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "Ownership did not have anything to do with this. I had to convince the owners that this is the thing to do. They were like, 'We can spend money.' I didn't think that was the smartest way to go. I can save money, but I can spend money, too. That's no problem at all. I thought that it was best for the organization." Knight was also unlcear on the Rasheed Wallace situation. "I don't have anything to say about that," Knight said. "But Rasheed is a heck of a player, a heck of a talent. It's good to see him at our practices. He's done some things that I haven't seen done here for a long time."

Cleveland Cavaliers: The world can't get enough of LeBron James, but his head coach Paul Silas said he has seen too much of him already. "I am hoping to give him more rest," Silas said in the Plain Dealer. "I don't know how many minutes of his I will cut back on, but I do know I don't want him playing 40 a game. And I have a lot more confidence in our bench." James has been averaging 40 minutes a game for fifth in the league.

Toronto Raptors: Jalen Rose doesn't have one broken bone in his left hand as earlier believed. He has four and will be out indefinitely. "I always considered this my time of year, and I feel like this is the time of year that I'm really here, this is the time of year that they brought me here for -- a playoff run, and the playoffs," Rose told the Toronto Star. "It's somewhat disheartening, but injuries are a part of the game. The good thing that's going to happen is now I'll be completely healthy. And I get a chance to feel like myself, for whatever that's worth."

* Frank: No 'I' In N-E-T-S
Fred Kerber / New York Post
* Agent may seek trade for Gaines
Brian Schmitz / Orlando Sentinel
* Milwaukee's 19-2 run is one for the highlight reel
Tom Enlund / Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
* Sonics not just listeners this year in trade talks
Percy Allen / Seattle Times
* Newest Hawks face New Jersey
Michael Lee / Atlanta Journal-Constitution
* Silas opts to slice James' minutes
Burt Graeff / Cleveland Plain Dealer
* Docs find four breaks in Rose's left hand
Jennifer Quinn / Toronto Star
Insider

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy