[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Starting Lineup - Douglas, Fields, Melo, Amare, Chandler
Author Thread
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
12/10/2011  8:49 PM
Everyone is talking about how Chandler does not fix the defensive problems alone. What he will do is challenge Amare and Melo to play better and it will make TD and Shumpert better as they can defend the perimeter more aggressively knowing they have some protection down low.

Even if they go from bottom third to middle third, it will mean a 40+ win season this year.

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/10/2011  8:55 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Everyone is talking about how Chandler does not fix the defensive problems alone. What he will do is challenge Amare and Melo to play better and it will make TD and Shumpert better as they can defend the perimeter more aggressively knowing they have some protection down low.

Even if they go from bottom third to middle third, it will mean a 40+ win season this year.

Agreed. What I like about Chandler, from what I have read, is that he is a communicator on defense, same as with Jefferies.

Amare and Melo need that.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/10/2011  9:10 PM
martin wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Everyone is talking about how Chandler does not fix the defensive problems alone. What he will do is challenge Amare and Melo to play better and it will make TD and Shumpert better as they can defend the perimeter more aggressively knowing they have some protection down low.

Agreed. What I like about Chandler, from what I have read, is that he is a communicator on defense, same as with Jefferies.

Amare and Melo need that.

Tyson made a GREAT point about communication on D being key and how he's gonna be very vocal. This wasn't just a good move. It was a GREAT move!!! All these years of Knick fans complaining, there should be no fans complaining about this trade.

VCoug
Member: #1406

12/10/2011  9:24 PM
I don't understand what everyone's problem with Toney is. Over the last several years, Derek Fisher, Jameer Nelson, Mario Chalmers/Mike Bibby, and a 38 year old Jason Kidd have started for teams that went to the Finals. Does everyone here really believe that Toney Douglas isn't just as good as most of those players?
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/10/2011  9:27 PM
VCoug wrote:I don't understand what everyone's problem with Toney is. Over the last several years, Derek Fisher, Jameer Nelson, Mario Chalmers/Mike Bibby, and a 38 year old Jason Kidd have started for teams that went to the Finals. Does everyone here really believe that Toney Douglas isn't just as good as most of those players?

Correct, he's not as good a PG as those guys (maybe with the exception of Bibby, but we don't have Lebron and Wade).
ATrain
Member: #3192

12/10/2011  9:54 PM
VCoug wrote:I don't understand what everyone's problem with Toney is. Over the last several years, Derek Fisher, Jameer Nelson, Mario Chalmers/Mike Bibby, and a 38 year old Jason Kidd have started for teams that went to the Finals. Does everyone here really believe that Toney Douglas isn't just as good as most of those players?

Toney Douglass couldn't be half as good of a 45 year old Jason Kidd.

Ira
Member: #91
12/10/2011  10:10 PM
One thing that Douglas does that Billups can't do is push the ball up. Another is play defense.
Olbrannon
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2919
USA
12/10/2011  10:13 PM
ATrain wrote:

Really?
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_simply_mav_elous_HHDU0zSfWaT6WlrJXi5HmM

The Knicks, who rang up their first victory in Dallas since 1999, admitted the 50-point humiliation was on their minds.

The sparkplug was rookie Toney Douglas, plugged in as the starting point guard last night for struggling Sergio Rodriguez. Douglas finished with 21 points and eight assists and likely has the starting job for the remainder.

"I just remember they beat us by 50 and I felt like they probably took us lightly," Douglas said. "A lot of teams on the schedule say, oh the Knicks. That's a win."

Bill Simmons on Tyreke Evans "The prototypical 0-guard: Someone who handles the ball all the time, looks for his own shot, gets to the rim at will and operates best if his teammates spread the floor to watch him."
Mray20
Member: #3138

12/10/2011  10:14 PM
Douglas was bad at running the offense but the guy was playing great d and scoring well before he messed up his shoulders we should give the guy a chance
No layups!
ATrain
Member: #3192

12/10/2011  10:34 PM
Olbrannon wrote:
ATrain wrote:

Really?
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_simply_mav_elous_HHDU0zSfWaT6WlrJXi5HmM

The Knicks, who rang up their first victory in Dallas since 1999, admitted the 50-point humiliation was on their minds.

The sparkplug was rookie Toney Douglas, plugged in as the starting point guard last night for struggling Sergio Rodriguez. Douglas finished with 21 points and eight assists and likely has the starting job for the remainder.

"I just remember they beat us by 50 and I felt like they probably took us lightly," Douglas said. "A lot of teams on the schedule say, oh the Knicks. That's a win."

Um, Yes really.

Toney (Douglas) is a good player, but he’s young. I don’t want to say they don’t have a point guard, but their best playmaker right now is Melo.

Douglas became a much better 3-point shooter this past season. His one glaring weakness is that he is not a natural playmaker and at times his decision-making has been a source of frustration for his teammates as well as coach Mike D'Antoni.

Douglas is not a playmaker with an average of 2.9 assists so playing without the ball is a concern. (College)

Douglas is coming off major shoulder surgery, but he does expect to be playing by July. His range has improved and he's a solid defender, but he lacks playmaking skills and therefore makes a shaky backup PG, which is what the Knicks need.

Beat writer Alan Hahn says that handing the starting point guard job to Toney Douglas is not a realistic option. Douglas can certainly score the ball, but Hahn points out that he's not a playmaker.

Douglas, of course, is not without flaws. Scouts emphasize that he is not really a point guard and that he can be reckless when he gets the ball in transition.

It certainly wouldn’t be the first time Douglas had to face up to doubts about his decision-making and overall distributive skills; the last time it happened, in the wake of a Freshman year at Auburn which saw then-coach Jeff Lebo insist on playing him at the two spot, Douglas just up and left, transferring to a school (FSU) that promised to play him at the one. Douglas may have gotten his wish, but the point guard gods didn’t necessarily get theirs; Douglas would average exactly 2.9 assists per game in each of his last three seasons.

I can go on..
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/10/2011  10:50 PM
When it comes to PG play it really depends on how your offense is structured. If you have players that can create their own shots and you make use of Picks, then you don't really need to have a ball dominant, breakdown PG. It seems to me that TD will simply be bringing the ball up and starting the set, but not controlling the ball like a CP3 or Nash.

Before we had Melo who can create his own shot, we didn't have a single player capable of doing that. We had a team full of 3pt shooters. SO in that case you must have a PG who can create scoring opportunities for those players. Now the team is setup a bit differently. We will be changing the focal point of the offense.

In time i'm hopeful that Iman will get a chance cuz he's the only other player we have that can create his own shot and break a defense down. I think he's got a ton of potential.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
12/11/2011  3:04 PM
So who runs the 2nd unit when Carmelo isn't in the game... who's the guy that gets the Knicks easy scoring opportunities when then big guns sit?
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
12/11/2011  3:40 PM
Childs2Dudley wrote:Douglas is simply not starting caliber.

I like Douglas but he was exposed by Rondo.

martin
USA
12/11/2011  3:58 PM
Vmart wrote:

I recall Bruce Bowen getting exposed on a regular basis for about the first 3 years of his career.

1 playoff series mis-match don't mean a thing to me.

earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
12/11/2011  4:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2011  4:23 PM
I thought Douglas played most of the year pretty well AND with a bad injury. He is young, we can't be forgetting his great defense before the injury. His offense came around - again, that was while he was hurt, pretty amazing.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
12/11/2011  4:27 PM
^^^^^^^Wow. Our pg situation is that desperate that we use words like "amazing" to describe Toney Douglas? Didn't think we had sunk that low. Douglas is a career backup. No more, no less.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/11/2011  4:55 PM
As long as our current PG situation stands, there will be constant concern throughout the season. I am comfortable with the lineup for now though to see how it works. I am also comfortable with the fact that so many PGs will be available next summer. I see us going through some ups and downs this season as far as chemistry, but ultimately prove to be close to being a contender. An upgrade at the PG position and another quality forward off the bench is what we are missing. We can address both of those next summer or earlier. The combination of Nash and Hill may want to finally come to NY for one last go at it. I also like the fact that all of Melo, Stoudemire, and Chandler are signed for 4 years. Gives us a legit window to build around them and not add salary beyond that point. This team is in a great place right now and i'm very excited.
martin
USA
12/11/2011  5:01 PM
Knixkik wrote:As long as our current PG situation stands, there will be constant concern throughout the season. I am comfortable with the lineup for now though to see how it works. I am also comfortable with the fact that so many PGs will be available next summer. I see us going through some ups and downs this season as far as chemistry, but ultimately prove to be close to being a contender. An upgrade at the PG position and another quality forward off the bench is what we are missing. We can address both of those next summer or earlier. The combination of Nash and Hill may want to finally come to NY for one last go at it. I also like the fact that all of Melo, Stoudemire, and Chandler are signed for 4 years. Gives us a legit window to build around them and not add salary beyond that point. This team is in a great place right now and i'm very excited.

count Jason Kidd as another PG who will be available next year.

earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
12/11/2011  5:21 PM
TheloniusMonk wrote:^^^^^^^Wow. Our pg situation is that desperate that we use words like "amazing" to describe Toney Douglas? Didn't think we had sunk that low. Douglas is a career backup. No more, no less.

Bro, how old are you? And are you a lawyer? You sure know how to take words out of context.
Now I'm going to call you amazing. Being able to state with certainty that a guy in the league for two years, who has already started and will continue to start to be a career backup. You are starting off on the wrong foot...

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/11/2011  5:49 PM
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:

I recall Bruce Bowen getting exposed on a regular basis for about the first 3 years of his career.

1 playoff series mis-match don't mean a thing to me.

I agree about Douglas being a capable starter for us. He's shown flashes.

But, I am starting to wonder if he is made of glass- I'm not questioning his toughness, just it is starting to seem like he might always be hurt.

Could be part of the way he plays, which doesn't bode well for a shortened season.

I'm really excited to find out.

Starting Lineup - Douglas, Fields, Melo, Amare, Chandler

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy