Starting Lineup - Douglas, Fields, Melo, Amare, Chandler
Author Thread
earthmansurfer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #858
Germany
12/10/2011  2:47 PM
That is pretty damn good.

First - Melo, Amare, Chandler - All Stars and quite complimentary. Well Chandler fits here on defense anyway. ;-)

Douglas can defend pretty good and clearly can score. The ball is going to go through Melo a lot, so I am not so worried about Dougie here. The less he handles the ball trying to feed guys, the better off we are.

Fields - He defended extremely well last year up until the last 1/4 of the year or later. He is going to get open looks and can hit the open shot ok. I think Fields IQ is going to be extremely important out there.

Thoughts?
EMS

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
AUTOADVERT
unstopaball12
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1137
Philippines
12/10/2011  2:50 PM
If we sign Shawne williams

our bench will be

Jordan
Jeffries
Williams
Walker
Shumpert

A much better 2nd unit than last year

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/10/2011  2:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2011  2:57 PM
Chandler has never made the All Star Game.

Great front court. Weak back court. Hopefully one of the guards takes a big step forward, and the front office finds someone who can step up in case of injury. Not much talent there and very little depth

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
alexs
Member: #1262
Kenya
12/10/2011  2:56 PM
Not title contenders but within first 4 in the east is certainly feasible, from there we'll see if Melo and Amare can make a difference in the playoffs like beating Heat in the second round - yeah baby. Front court can do damage mucho...go knicks
Childs2Dudley
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #3051
USA
12/10/2011  3:01 PM
Douglas is simply not starting caliber.
"Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." - Earl Nightingale
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/10/2011  3:12 PM
DEFINITELY TITLE CONTENDERS! Look, this team will be able to score even if it's somewhat ugly. That's how it looked last year very often. The HUGE difference is going to be on the defensive end. This team will likely be able to defend at a much higher level than before and that will allow this team to win more games. Especially against the weaker teams that often gave us trouble in the past.

The biggest weakness had been SIZE. We didn't lose cuz we couldn't score enough or didn't have a great PG. We lost on the boards and getting critical stops. We had NO CENTERS and now we're deep at center. I don't see how any Knick fan can't be happy about this. Considering all the complaining about lack of size and defense in the past. MDA will figure out the O and Woodson has something to work with on D. What's not to like?

earthmansurfer
Member: #858
Germany
12/10/2011  3:17 PM
Childs2Dudley wrote:Douglas is simply not starting caliber.

He's a pest on defense. He see's the floor terrible, yes, but Melo will be the facilitator.

S.C. I know, that is why I said the "on defense" comment.

We have a team that can beat Miami and Boston. Not saying we will, but we can. Depending on how we gel and the young guys advance and how the bench does, we have a chance. Lots of IFs but I feel good about them this year.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. Albert Einstein
ATrain
Member: #3192

12/10/2011  3:28 PM

I'd rather see Iman as starting pg and if he can't handle it, then throw TD in.

AnubisADL
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #2771
USA
12/10/2011  3:29 PM
Our back court is a joke and will get exposed.

Hopefully we make a trade for a solid veteran guard.

NY Knicks - Retirement home for players and GMs
y2zipper
Member: #3287

12/10/2011  3:30 PM
The weakness here is facilitation. Chandler and Fields are guys that can rebound and that have skill sets outside of the scoring that Melo and STAT bring to the table. They can both hustle and thrive but are good enough on offense to take advantage of opportunities. If Carmelo and/or Amare can learn to facilitate this can work really well. Toney Douglas can defend other point guards and be a spot-up shooter. He doesn't have to run the floor or run the offense. He just has to make open jumpshots and defend guys and he can almost play a Derek Fisher type of role here.
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
12/10/2011  3:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2011  3:52 PM
ATrain wrote:

I'd rather see Iman as starting pg and if he can't handle it, then throw TD in.

some here seem to have a serious jones for a guy who hasn't even played one nba game yet.

i'm all for seeing shumpert succeed, but starting pg on a potential contender/at least top 4 team in a conference?

td is even still more seasoned and we know can shoot from outside. iman showed improvement in his shooting over the summer, but we'd have to see a fields like display in an abbreviated training camp. we're already starting fields as our 2, with a rookie at the 1?

fields may have started at sg last year as well, but pg is a position that you really need some experience to usually succeed, unless you are some kind of phenom.

maybe iman gets the nod, but i wouldn't bet any money on that.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
MSG3
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #2476
USA
12/10/2011  4:07 PM
I honestly think we can compete for a title this year if we stay healthy. Only sounds crazy because we were so bad until last season. But look at the roster. Assuming Williams comes back its very balanced, big and deep. Very excited. More so than if we landed CP3 in a deal that would've depleted us.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/10/2011  4:38 PM
earthmansurfer wrote:

He's a pest on defense. He see's the floor terrible, yes, but Melo will be the facilitator.

We have a team that can beat Miami and Boston. Not saying we will, but we can. Depending on how we gel and the young guys advance and how the bench does, we have a chance. Lots of IFs but I feel good about them this year.

Douglas is a solid 2-way player. You can win with a PG like him considering what our frontcourt looks like. Miami has yet to have a starting PG of Douglas' caliber in my opinion. We definitely could afford to upgrade, but i can live with Douglas. He is probably better than Duhon at this point in time.
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

12/10/2011  4:45 PM
though rite up in now duhon would be a great backup to TD
Childs2Dudley
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #3051
USA
12/10/2011  4:45 PM
Knixkik wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

Douglas is a solid 2-way player. You can win with a PG like him considering what our frontcourt looks like. Miami has yet to have a starting PG of Douglas' caliber in my opinion. We definitely could afford to upgrade, but i can live with Douglas. He is probably better than Duhon at this point in time.

A PG of Douglas' caliber? That would entitle Douglas actually being a PG.

"Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." - Earl Nightingale
y2zipper

12/10/2011  4:47 PM
I agree that Douglas isn't a Point Guard, but if somebody else plays the facilitator role and Douglas doesn't have to it can still work.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/10/2011  5:44 PM
y2zipper wrote:I agree that Douglas isn't a Point Guard, but if somebody else plays the facilitator role and Douglas doesn't have to it can still work.

Who was the PG facilitator on the Jordan Bulls or even the Heat from last year? There have been many good to great teams that used another player besides the PG to actually distribute the ball. It will take time for Melo to get used to it and to master the role but I think he can learn to get very good at it with lots of reps devoted to doing it. He showed that he is capable of doing it in the playoffs and that was without having really worked on it for an entire camp and season. In the playoffs Melo avg'd nearly 5 assists. It wasn't a very clean and pretty effort but with time and practice I can see it working. I think Melo will find it very rewarding too.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/10/2011  7:37 PM
dacash wrote:though rite up in now duhon would be a great backup to TD

ES
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/10/2011  7:45 PM
AnubisADL wrote:Our back court is a joke and will get exposed.

Exactly; at the moment, I don't think we're better than we were before the Chandler signing. We made a huge upgrade at C and a huge downgrade at PG.
y2zipper

12/10/2011  8:05 PM
nixluva wrote:
y2zipper wrote:I agree that Douglas isn't a Point Guard, but if somebody else plays the facilitator role and Douglas doesn't have to it can still work.

Who was the PG facilitator on the Jordan Bulls or even the Heat from last year? There have been many good to great teams that used another player besides the PG to actually distribute the ball. It will take time for Melo to get used to it and to master the role but I think he can learn to get very good at it with lots of reps devoted to doing it. He showed that he is capable of doing it in the playoffs and that was without having really worked on it for an entire camp and season. In the playoffs Melo avg'd nearly 5 assists. It wasn't a very clean and pretty effort but with time and practice I can see it working. I think Melo will find it very rewarding too.

That's exactly the point I was making. TD doesn't have the traditional PG game.

Starting Lineup - Douglas, Fields, Melo, Amare, Chandler

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy