[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Wallace to NY before Deadline
Author Thread
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
2/18/2004  3:00 PM
What if Atlanta trades him somewhere else? Isiah is too shrewd to just sit around with his thumb up his ass (like LayDown did). The man is about making moves to better the team, and not letting possibly beneficial opportunities slide by.

Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
AUTOADVERT
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
2/18/2004  3:03 PM
http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/0402/18/e05-68143.htm

Dumars: No deal pending

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Associated Press

The presidents meet: the Knicks' Isiah Thomas talks with former Pistons teammate Joe Dumars during first half.

Bucks vs. Pistons

Tip-off: 7:30 tonight, The Palace.

TV / radio: Channel 50 / WDFN 1130.

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

NEW YORK — The Pistons, as has been widely reported for a week, have had discussions with the Atlanta Hawks about the possibility of a trade for power forward Rasheed Wallace.

But the prospects of the team actually landing the volatile, free-agent-to-be aren’t overwhelming.

“There is no deal,” Pistons President Joe Dumars said. “There is no deal pending, no deal is imminent. Have we talked to Atlanta? Yes, but I guarantee you that every team is talking to everybody right now.”

The trade deadline is Thursday, and the Pistons are still entertaining several offers for Chucky Atkins. Corliss Williamson, though, appears to be off the trading block.

One snag in the Wallace deal was that the Hawks did not want Atkins included in the deal, and the Pistons did. Atkins has two years left on his contract after this season. By losing Atkins contract, the Pistons would have the ability to get between $6 million and $7 million under the salary cap next summer — something they feel they must do in order to re-sign restricted free agent Mehmet Okur.

Atlanta, also looking to create cap space, doesn’t want players with multiple years left on their contract.

The Pistons could put together a workable package with players in the final year of their deals. Bob Sura ($6.2 million), Zeljko Rebraca ($4.2 million), Lindsey Hunter ($4 million), Darvin Ham ($825,000), Tremaine Fowlkes ($612,435) and a first-round draft pick.

The Pistons could have two first-round picks in the draft — their own and Milwaukee’s, if the Bucks make the playoffs.

That combination of salaries would get within the required 15 percent of Wallace’s $17 million contract, which expires after this season. But Dumars said he never put Ham or Fowlkes into the package.

There are other problems with that scenario, though. First of all, even if they dropped Wallace off the books in July, the Pistons would still only be $4 million under the cap — which probably wouldn’t be enough to re-sign Okur. And, if they traded five players, they would be left with just 10 players on the roster. They would have to sign two more.

To essentially rent Wallace’s services for 25 games, the Pistons would have sacrificed their depth.

The Pistons would hold Wallace’s Larry Bird rights, which would allow them to go over the cap to sign Wallace this summer. But, Wallace and his agent Bill Strickland have made it clear he plans to play in New York next season.

So, as of late Tuesday, the Pistons were apparently out of the Wallace sweepstakes.

Sounds a little better... for us!
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
MaseInYourFace
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #546
Canada
2/18/2004  3:19 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

What if Atlanta trades him somewhere else? Isiah is too shrewd to just sit around with his thumb up his ass (like LayDown did). The man is about making moves to better the team, and not letting possibly beneficial opportunities slide by.

yea what if he's traded elsewhere?he still could come in the offseason the same
Yes! - Marv Albert
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/18/2004  3:31 PM
This from the RealGM site:
Despite numerous teams being interested in Doleac, whom the Hawks just acquired in the Nazr Mohammed deal, the team elected to waive the 6’11 center instead on Wednesday. Should Doleac clear waivers, the Hawks are still on the hook for the remainder of his salary and his cap number, but with so many interested parties, some of which are playoff contenders, it’s more likely that the team will not be responsible for that money.

So, if there are so many suitors, why not make a trade?

The answer to that question may be linked to the question of how long the Rasheed Wallace era is going to last in Atlanta.

It’s possible that the motivation behind the release was that of roster space, as in trying to clear some space on the team in case of a possible 4 for 1 deal for Wallace, as has been rumored in many medium recently.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
NYK8
Member: #320
USA
2/18/2004  3:39 PM
No doubt Wallace is a Knick.its just a matter of days n the right players to pull this off.Wallace agent once again reached out to Zeke by meeting him face to face at MSG.WALLACE REALLY WANTS TO BE A KNICK DONE DEAL...
!!!Knicks!!!
keyindabox
Member: #562
USA
2/18/2004  5:18 PM
Here is the actual quote from the New York Times...

"Yes, he wants to come here. And yes, he's hoping to get traded again before Thursday."
-- Bill Strickland, agent for Hawks F Rasheed Wallace, in the NY Times
"I usually mess up, but I learn. I come back sronger. Everyone changes, becomes better people. We all should get that chance. I just want my chance."-Tupac Shakur
keyindabox
USA
2/18/2004  5:26 PM
I dont know if you guys saw this but here you go.

Hawks GM: 'Anything is possible'

A source told the Times that the Knicks would have to offer Kurt Thomas, Othella Harrington, Dikembe Mutombo and another player, perhaps Mike Sweetney or Frank Williams, in order to work a trade for Wallace. In addition, another team might have to be involved for a three-way deal.

[Edited by - keyindabox on 02/18/2004 17:26:56]
"I usually mess up, but I learn. I come back sronger. Everyone changes, becomes better people. We all should get that chance. I just want my chance."-Tupac Shakur
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
2/18/2004  7:14 PM
Posted by keyindabox:

I dont know if you guys saw this but here you go.

Hawks GM: 'Anything is possible'

A source told the Times that the Knicks would have to offer Kurt Thomas, Othella Harrington, Dikembe Mutombo and another player, perhaps Mike Sweetney or Frank Williams, in order to work a trade for Wallace. In addition, another team might have to be involved for a three-way deal.

yes,read the postings, i already posted it.and thats too much to give up for wallace who will come here anyways after the season.

[Edited by - keyindabox on 02/18/2004 17:26:56]
Yes! - Marv Albert
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/18/2004  7:14 PM
The only concern i have is the fact that we won't be able to put together $17M in expiring contracts. We can put together about half that money and maybe a little more if Denver is involved, but will Atlanta trade Wallace if they don't get all expiring contracts?
keyindabox
USA
2/18/2004  10:47 PM
Sorry Mase you're right....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pistons would hold Wallace’s Larry Bird rights, which would allow them to go over the cap to sign Wallace this summer. But, Wallace and his agent Bill Strickland have made it clear he plans to play in New York next season.

So, as of late Tuesday, the Pistons were apparently out of the Wallace sweepstakes.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/0402/18/e05-68143.htm
Wallace to NY before Deadline

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy