Shumpert Ready for Rookie Year From Hoopsworld
Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/7/2011  3:53 AM
nixluva wrote:This isn't a perfect comparison

AGREED.

NBA rookie stats versus upperclassman NCAA stats?!

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
SupremeCommander

9/7/2011  4:00 AM
jrodmc wrote:Does he have endorsement deals already? WTF is he living on, Youtube royalties?

I've heard estimates that if you get 8 million Youtube views--for original content--that equates to $one million. The more it gets viewwed the hgher the payout.

Honestly, if the NBA superstars/All Stars/league leaders played in an organized league in a closed gym and distributed footage via Youtube they could make some money. I would definitely watch rookie league stuff. I'd probably just avoid games heavy on the MLE type guys.

Now, that would be a pittance versus what they'd make in the NBA... but if the union got creative with distributing the entertainment content, they would likely gain leverage

SupremeCommander

9/7/2011  4:05 AM
nixluva wrote:This is why i've been so high on this kid. I just like his demeanor and of course the loads of talent he has.

The proof is in the pudding... if you went off of what Jamal Crawford said he'd have been the best player in NBA history.

I don't see the point in selling him as an all-wrold talent. I certainly hope he pans out. But why place great expectations on a kid who the Knicks took a lot sooner than most other teams would have?

SupremeCommander

9/7/2011  4:16 AM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I don't want to think negative, but guys shooting in the gym with no one in it, is by far, not the same as in game action..Hell shaq would make dozens of FT's in a row with no one in the gym.

I think everyone knows that he's not being defended but he was never a bad shooter overall just from 3! He shot 47% from 2nd range and 89% from the line. Kid can shoot he just needed more work and since he shined in his workouts he clearly has made some improvement already.

I get that you love him as a prospect and want to champion him. That's great. But let's not look at this selectively. He shot 27.8 percent from three on 4.9 attempts per game. He had 14.1 total shot attempts per game.

This implies that in his junior year, 34.75 percent of his shots were trash, he suffers a bit from hero complex, and his shot selection in the Al Harrington category.

His junior year points per shot was at 1.23 and 1.22 his rookie year, whereas Derrick Rose had 1.37 PPS in his rookie year.

nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/7/2011  7:41 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I don't want to think negative, but guys shooting in the gym with no one in it, is by far, not the same as in game action..Hell shaq would make dozens of FT's in a row with no one in the gym.

I think everyone knows that he's not being defended but he was never a bad shooter overall just from 3! He shot 47% from 2nd range and 89% from the line. Kid can shoot he just needed more work and since he shined in his workouts he clearly has made some improvement already.

I get that you love him as a prospect and want to champion him. That's great. But let's not look at this selectively. He shot 27.8 percent from three on 4.9 attempts per game. He had 14.1 total shot attempts per game.

This implies that in his junior year, 34.75 percent of his shots were trash, he suffers a bit from hero complex, and his shot selection in the Al Harrington category.

His junior year points per shot was at 1.23 and 1.22 his rookie year, whereas Derrick Rose had 1.37 PPS in his rookie year.

I think Iman being a 2 way player ups his value and I'm excited about that. I could care less what other teams thought of him! Other teams didn't value Landry Fields either and how about Chandler? IMO this kid needed better coaching and more time to focus on his weaknesses. He's going to get that now.

I think Iman will fill a big need on this team for a guard that can drive effectively and be a threat while also being a help defensively. I only wish he had Summer League to get some work with the coaches. Look this kid was great at applying pressure getting steals, help defense and rebounding. Then using his speed to start the break. That fits right into what we want to do! He won't have to try and carry the team so that will help his shot selection.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
9/8/2011  7:41 AM
nixluva wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I think Iman being a 2 way player ups his value and I'm excited about that. I could care less what other teams thought of him! Other teams didn't value Landry Fields either and how about Chandler? IMO this kid needed better coaching and more time to focus on his weaknesses. He's going to get that now.

I think Iman will fill a big need on this team for a guard that can drive effectively and be a threat while also being a help defensively. I only wish he had Summer League to get some work with the coaches. Look this kid was great at applying pressure getting steals, help defense and rebounding. Then using his speed to start the break. That fits right into what we want to do! He won't have to try and carry the team so that will help his shot selection.

It was a shame he didn't get summer league, but Shumpert will have the right chances to develop as he will backup Billups who should be great for his development. In addition, MDA is his coach and clearly knows how to maximize the talent of a PG. If we get Paul, i see Shumpert as a great future 6th man. But if we don't, i hope Billups can remain effective for another 3 years, or we can get Nash at some point as he will probably remain effective for another 3 years. Shumpert can learn from the best while increasing minutes then by the 4th year be the starting PG. I feel like with the right development, him and Fields can be the back court here for the next many years, as i feel they compliment each other well and alongside Melo and Stat.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/8/2011  11:21 AM
Knixkik wrote:It was a shame he didn't get summer league, but Shumpert will have the right chances to develop as he will backup Billups who should be great for his development.

I am always up and down on what a young player like Shumpert or even TD could accomplish in Summer League play. Typically every player is young and has zero clue (relatively speaking) what they are doing on the court. Individual talent and a get-mine attitude (perhaps rightly so for a guy trying to get a contract) is on full tilt.

This is good for scorers and guys who are good at breaking down their own man, not so good for PGs who are tasked with running or trying to run an offense. Big men are also left to their own devices for getting the ball where they need it.

I think the Vegas league coming up soon with vets in it is a better mix for someone like Shumpert. Gets a better feel for the speed of the game, can hopefully work on set plays and PnR's.

We shall see how it goes.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
USA
9/8/2011  9:35 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:It was a shame he didn't get summer league, but Shumpert will have the right chances to develop as he will backup Billups who should be great for his development.

I am always up and down on what a young player like Shumpert or even TD could accomplish in Summer League play. Typically every player is young and has zero clue (relatively speaking) what they are doing on the court. Individual talent and a get-mine attitude (perhaps rightly so for a guy trying to get a contract) is on full tilt.

This is good for scorers and guys who are good at breaking down their own man, not so good for PGs who are tasked with running or trying to run an offense. Big men are also left to their own devices for getting the ball where they need it.

I think the Vegas league coming up soon with vets in it is a better mix for someone like Shumpert. Gets a better feel for the speed of the game, can hopefully work on set plays and PnR's.

These are good points. I think clearly it's better to play with actual starting pros than the scrubs in SL, but that isn't the norm. I just have a good feeling about this kid. I'm pulling for him to really have a great season and meaningful impact. He won't even have to force anything, just play D and get opportunities for his teammates and himself off of that. He's got a lot to learn but just off of hustle alone he's should be able to have an impact. He defends and rebounds well and is super fast on the break after rebounding or getting a steal. He's nearly as fast as TD at 6-5.5. He's basically a bigger, stronger, more athletic version of TD. In fact I can't wait to see the both of them, Iman and TD in the backcourt together with out best defensive unit. I think they can be dynamic in applying pressure.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/8/2011  11:36 PM
martin wrote:

I recall nate, chandler and fields having nice summer league play, and that rolling over to the regular season..you do get a general idea of what kinda of player your getting. iman has more of a confindence problem as-far-as outside shooting. Both his form and selection are good, he just couldn't knock down shots consistantly.

ES
nixluva
USA
9/9/2011  12:26 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:

I recall nate, chandler and fields having nice summer league play, and that rolling over to the regular season..you do get a general idea of what kinda of player your getting. iman has more of a confindence problem as-far-as outside shooting. Both his form and selection are good, he just couldn't knock down shots consistantly.

You mean he couldn't knock down 3pt shots! He actually was at 47% from inside the 3pt line. He seems to have a good midrange and in game. He also gets to the line and knocks down FT's at 80%. Of all the things we've seen players coming out of college need it's usually work on their shot. He seems to be capable of improving his jumper with work and I think he will eventually get there. More than his work on 3pt shooting, his biggest need is to show he can really work the PnR!!!

Shumpert Ready for Rookie Year From Hoopsworld

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy