Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/31/2011  6:01 PM
NBA PM: Shumpert Ready for Rookie Year
By Alex Kennedy

It didn’t take Iman Shumpert long to realize the responsibilities that come with playing for the New York Knicks. Within hours of being drafted, Shumpert received dozens of interview requests and gained nearly 8,000 followers on Twitter. This was very different from his days as the under-the-radar point guard from Georgia Tech and his world would grow even bigger in the weeks that followed.

“It’s gotten pretty big,” Shumpert told HOOPSWORLD. “I’ll be in a random place and have people recognize me. I had it before, but now it’s sort of worldwide because everybody knows the Knicks. A lot of people in different cities might say, ‘What’s their mascot?’ But everybody knows the Knicks so it’s a little different. Everyone is asking me if I’ve talked to Chauncey, if I’ve talked to Amar’e or if I’ve talked to ‘Melo. It’s exciting. My world has gotten really big, but I’m trying to keep it close with the people that I was with before being drafted.”

That’s why he’s back at the famed IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL. This is where he worked out in the months prior to the draft. It was in this gym that he made his steady ascent up draft boards and solidified himself as a first-round pick. He continues to work with head trainer Dan Barto, who is helping him prepare for his rookie season.

“I’m just making sure that I get repetitions up on my jump shot, clean up my decision making and find the spots on the floor that I like to get to in order to score,” Shumpert said. “I want to make myself a more efficient player by the time the season starts.”

Shumpert continues to work on his three-point shot, which is more important than ever now that he’ll be playing in New York under Mike D’Antoni.

“It’s feeling good,” Shumpert said. “I’ve been shooting at a high percentage and working with Dan Barto to make sure that I get a lot of reps. Even after our basketball workouts, I come back later on in the day to make sure I get extra reps up. I’m just getting adjusted to it being a couple of steps back. I’ve been making sure my legs are dead before shooting just to switch it up and get into that groove of shooting the ball from NBA three.”

There has been some discussion about whether Shumpert would play point guard or shooting guard in New York, but he doesn’t hesitate when asked which position he expects to play.

“I think I’ll be able to step in and play point guard,” Shumpert said. “I’ll be able to facilitate on offense and put pressure on other point guards using my size.”

He can’t wait to learn from his all of his new teammates and coaches, but he’s particularly excited to soak up information from Chauncey Billups.

“That’s like the original big guard,” Shumpert said with a smile. “Just being behind him and being able to learn from him should make me a hundred times better.”

At Georgia Tech, Shumpert was expected to take over games and dominate the ball on offense. He’s looking forward to playing with scorers like Anthony and Stoudemire because he’ll be able to step back and focus on other aspects of his game such as creating for others and playing lockdown defense.

“I think it’ll help me because all of the pressure won’t be on me,” Shumpert said. “I can just play my game. I’ll be taking shots that are there instead having to forcing shots. I can really just play free and play off of those guys. I think it’ll be a good adjustment for me.”

This summer, Shumpert has been having fun with his fans by uploading videos of him dunking onto YouTube and Twitter. He has completed a 360 windmill and a between the legs dunk among others. He threw down a behind the back dunk for HOOPSWORLD on Monday.

“I like to dunk and I like to get a couple of style points on it,” Shumpert said. “That’s just something I do for fun. In the game, I’m really just worried about getting the two points. I’ll get them with authority, but I’m worried about getting the points. But as the lockout continues, I’m just trying to have some fun and give the fans something to see. There’s not really any kind of dunk contests going on so if I can have fans tune in to my workouts and then afterward do a couple of dunks, if that brings smiles to people’s faces, that’s what I’m going to do.”

Shumpert’s hard work is necessary because he has high expectations for himself going forward. When asked what his next goals are, he rattles off several accomplishments he hopes to attain.

“Rookie of the year, All-Star game, dunk contest champion and all of that stuff,” Shumpert said. “I want to be the best.”

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/31/2011  6:12 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/31/2011  8:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/31/2011  8:19 PM
From every thing i've seen and heard from this kid he's been very impressive and consistent in his sense of focus. What I like is that he seems to be self driven and that's what you want from a prospect. You want a kid that is HUNGRY to be the best and has the dedication to his craft to work and get better. I really like him and hope he finds great success. He reminds me so much of Fields but with more natural talent, tho I happen to think fields is also pretty talented. I just think that we haven't come close to seeing the best of Iman. IMO this kid can be a star if he wants to be.

I say he can be a star cuz just look at what he brings to the table. Elite athletic ability, high skill level, intelligence, drive and focus. Those are the things at the core of a great player. Then I look at what he actually does on the court and it shows signs of what he could be. He's already a capable scorer. He got to the line and converted nearly 6x a game. He rebounded nearly 6 a game. All that remains now is for him improve his 3 ball and passing the ball effectively.

Derrick Rose in his 1st year NBA:

MIN	FGM-A        FG%	3PM-A	 3P%	FTM-A	FT%	OR	DR	REB	AST	BLK	STL	TO	PTS
37.0 7.1-14.9 47.5 0.2-0.9 22.2 2.4-3.1 .788 1.2 2.7 3.9 6.3 0.2 0.8 2.5 16.8

Iman Shumpert last year GT:

Min     FGM-A	    FG%	        3PM-A	3P%	FTM-A	FT%	OR	DR	REB	AST	BLK	STL	TO      PTS 
32.0 5.7-14.1 40.6 1.4-4.9 27.8 4.5-5.6 80.6 1.7 4.2 5.9 3.5 0.2 2.7 2.3 17.3

This isn't a perfect comparison, but just to illustrate some possible areas of growth for Iman. We see that Rose wasn't much of a 3pt shooter, but he was able to develop that. Rose wasn't the best passer either, but he is getting better. In other areas of the game Iman is stronger. On Defense and rebounding Iman is far more capable. Rose will likely always be more of a scorer, but I like Iman's chances for success. I'm not expecting him to become a Derrick Rose. I'm just comparing the way Rose came in as mostly a very athletic player able to use that to score and he still had to develop his skill level. IMO the sky is the limit for Iman. It's up to him how good he'll end up being.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
9/1/2011  8:56 AM
If I were him, I would take this first year to shadow Billups and follow him everywhere and soak up as much knowledge as possible. Billups is a phenomenal mentor and would do wonders for Iman's career. Even in this offseason, he should check in with Chauncey and try and learn from him -- learn the offense. The lack of a pre-season is going to hurt Iman the most.
This is the Randle.
martin
USA
9/1/2011  11:42 AM
I don't know if it's his personality, city for which he was drafted or what, but it seems to me that Shumpert has gotten his fair share or more of media attention over the other rookies drafted. Maybe it's just cause we all are surfing a Knicks website

Anyway, dude has been out there, and it seems good.

Here's to hoping that Shump works out for the Knicks like no other, Knicks need that break.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/1/2011  11:45 AM
Hype can be a terrible thing.
martin
USA
9/1/2011  12:48 PM
Practicing the mid-range jumper, love it.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/1/2011  2:55 PM
Does he have endorsement deals already? WTF is he living on, Youtube royalties?
martin
USA
9/1/2011  3:01 PM
jrodmc wrote:Does he have endorsement deals already? WTF is he living on, Youtube royalties?

i would imagine that these guys can get loans against their rookie contracts pretty easily.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/1/2011  3:07 PM
Agents have lines of credit they can tap for them, and get paid back.
nixluva
USA
9/1/2011  3:21 PM
This is why i've been so high on this kid. I just like his demeanor and of course the loads of talent he has. Now everyone can see what D'Antoni and Walsh saw in the kid. Sometimes you have to ignore the college thing and go by what you see and your instincts tell you about a young player. Iman was in a situation in college that may have hidden just how talented he was. It happens with some players. Another important evaluation is his overall intelligence and ability to deal with the demands of the Pro lifestyle in NY. He at least seems to understand what's going on.

MAN I wish they had played Summer League this year. It's a shame this kid's development hasn't taken the normal course and with a possible shortened season that only makes it worse. Iman needed to be able to work with the Coaching staff and start getting acclimated to what we do. UGH!

ActionJackson
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1602

9/2/2011  12:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/2/2011  12:11 AM
martin wrote:

His jumper looks good but that beat is Straight Fire!!!

nixluva
USA
9/2/2011  12:53 AM
That dunk he's about to do looks so SICK!!! I can't wait to see this kid play some real games.
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
9/2/2011  6:50 AM
ActionJackson wrote:
martin wrote:

His jumper looks good but that beat is Straight Fire!!!

I'm impressed...with his jumper. Yeah, I know they posted his best series of shots, but still, he looks very smooth and accurate. Also his first step is so quick. He'll be able to create space between him and his defender and then pop the shot.

He has some great dunks, which are fun to watch, but I couldn't care less about that. So many young kids can dunk. More important to me is that he looks like he can play B-ball at a high level.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
nixluva
USA
9/2/2011  1:41 PM
Having seen video of Iman before I wasn't that worried about his shot. He always looked like he had good form. The thing he needs is more actual work on running the point in our system. I'll feel better once the Knick players start working with each other. I can't wait to see him in game action.
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
9/6/2011  11:09 AM
Glad to see he is working on his jumper. As a rookie, all they will expect him to do is hit open shots, play solid defense, and not turn the ball over. If he can do those three things, he will be a good player for us. I still think he will struggle as a PG, but with a year of Billups teaching him, he should be fine to run the point next year if he progresses. Hopefully, he looks good enough for us to use him in a trade to get Williams or Paul. Either way, I am happy the Knicks drafted him. We needed a lock down perimeter defender and an athlete at the 1/2 postions.
Trust the Process
nixluva
USA
9/6/2011  1:25 PM
I think you keep a young cheap player like Iman and look to complete the TEAM. I'm done chasing after the 3rd Max player. IMO this kid can be a key cog to this team winning. We need his size and D in the backcourt. No more Rondo ripping this team to shreds! We need defenders now. We've got enough scoring. Keep Iman and spend money on a good Center!!!
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/6/2011  6:05 PM
I don't want to think negative, but guys shooting in the gym with no one in it, is by far, not the same as in game action..Hell shaq would make dozens of FT's in a row with no one in the gym.
ES
nixluva
USA
9/6/2011  6:34 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I don't want to think negative, but guys shooting in the gym with no one in it, is by far, not the same as in game action..Hell shaq would make dozens of FT's in a row with no one in the gym.

I think everyone knows that he's not being defended but he was never a bad shooter overall just from 3! He shot 47% from 2nd range and 89% from the line. Kid can shoot he just needed more work and since he shined in his workouts he clearly has made some improvement already.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/7/2011  3:51 AM
nixluva wrote:All that remains now is for him improve his 3 ball and passing the ball effectively.

I had no idea that it was *that* simple!!!

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Shumpert Ready for Rookie Year From Hoopsworld

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy