Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/13/2004  9:49 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/13/sports/basketball/13KNIC.html

Johnson Out to Make Most of Second Chance by Knicks
By LIZ ROBBINS

Published: February 13, 2004

DerMarr Johnson had traveled across the country and was now crisscrossing Westchester County, the best day of his life winding slowly into the longest night of his career.

He just wanted to sleep.

Past midnight Feb. 3, Johnson folded his 6-foot-9 pencil-thin frame into the back seat of a limousine, not knowing where he was going or how much longer he would have to keep traveling.

He was lost returning from Madison Square Garden, where he had dressed for his first N.B.A. game in 21 months. The day before he had been playing in California for the Long Beach Jam of the minor league American Basketball Association when the Knicks stunned him with the offer of a 10-day contract without a workout.

Johnson, 23, had tangible hope he could reclaim his career, which began when the Atlanta Hawks took him out of Cincinnati as the sixth overall pick in the 2000 draft and nearly ended two years later in the fiery blaze of crumpled Mercedes metal at the base of a tree.

But last week he was not at the wheel, and his driver was lost, unable to understand the directions to the Knicks' hotel.

After two hours, the car stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts. Johnson went inside and bought two for his dinner, glazed and jelly. Day 1 ended when Johnson, finally at his hotel, got to bed at 2 a.m., too exhausted to think about a practice that would start in eight hours.

The 10-day contract is a low-cost flier for teams looking for midseason reinforcements or an overlooked talent. Johnson never saw his career coming to this.

When he signed, he did not know that nine days later — yesterday — the Knicks planned to sign him for the rest of the season.

Seventeen months ago, Johnson fell asleep for an instant; he is still trying to awaken from that nightmare.

On Sept. 13, 2002, he was returning with two friends from an Atlanta nightclub at 5 a.m. in the deserted suburbs. He stopped at a light, and, because his passengers were sleeping, he turned down the radio. Today, Johnson says he would have done only one thing differently that night: "I wouldn't have turned the music down."

He dozed off and his foot must have pressed on the accelerator, he said. The next thing he knew, his friend Davon Williams was shouting for him to get out because the car was on fire. Williams, who was uninjured, dragged Johnson out.

Another friend, James Barnett, had a punctured lung, three broken ribs and a cracked vertebra. Two women driving by took the three to a hospital.

Lucky to Be Alive

Johnson had broken four vertebrae in his neck, and his doctor said he came close to being paralyzed. The doctor also told him he would probably never play basketball again.

The shocks continued, life and death tugging at each other.

A week later, while his mother was visiting him in the hospital, his father, Melvin, died from complications from surgery in Maryland. "I think that maybe God spared my life and took his, like one of us had to go," Johnson said.

Another week after that, his college coach at Cincinnati, Bob Huggins, had a heart attack, from which he would recover. A month after the accident, Johnson's girlfriend delivered the couple's son, DerMarr Jr.

So much had happened. "I don't think it changed me at all; I just think it was meant to happen, a speed bump that I got to go over," Johnson said.

Three weeks after being fitted for a halo to stabilize his neck, Johnson was driving, against doctor's orders. After seven weeks he got the halo off and soon started shooting, then dunking, against doctor's orders, even though he had little feeling in his right arm.

By January 2003 he was cleared by doctors to play, assured he was not risking a life-threatening injury. The Hawks, about to change ownership, were wary and kept him on the bench. Atlanta's general manager, Billy Knight, did not pick up Johnson's option at the end of the 2002-3 season, making him a free agent with a red-brick mansion in Atlanta.

Out of work, he played in the summer league for the Memphis Grizzlies. The Phoenix Suns picked him up for the fall, cutting him midway through training camp, and Johnson went to the A.B.A.

Johnson's salary had been $5.6 million over his first three years in Atlanta, where he averaged 6.5 points a game. In the first 10 days with the Knicks, Johnson made $38,260; he will earn $214,256 for the rest of the season.

Time to Start Over

When Johnson came to New York, he did not have to wind his watch to Eastern Standard Time. He had never changed it in California. "I thought I wasn't going to be there long," he said.

Instead, he was in Long Beach for three months, the best player on a team whose main attraction was the renegade Dennis Rodman.

The day Isiah Thomas took the job as Knicks president, he spoke of "beating the bushes for talent."

Although some executives in the league considered Johnson an underachiever with the Hawks before the accident, Thomas knew he had a project worth undertaking.

Johnson learned of the offer at 5 p.m. Pacific time and was on a red-eye to New York six hours later. He spoke to Thomas for the first time about an hour before last Tuesday's game against the Indiana Pacers.

"He told me don't look at it as a short-term thing," Johnson recalled. "That took a lot of pressure off me and made me feel wanted. It wasn't like, `I'm doing you a favor,' but, `we need you here.' "

Guard Allan Houston went on the injured list that morning to rehabilitate his knees, and is not scheduled to come off until after the All-Star Game break. If there is one thing Johnson can do, said Stephon Marbury, "he can really shoot." Marbury, who was traded to the Knicks from the Suns in January, had befriended Johnson during training camp with Phoenix.

Johnson arrived in New York with an instant support group. Moochie Norris had been his friend and mentor growing up in Washington.

Johnson shaves his head and wears an orange headband that covers the scars from his halo. He pulls his white socks up to make his spindly legs look even longer — he copied the headband and the sock style from Norris when they played streetball and in A.A.U. tournaments together.

"The first time I saw him play, it was incredible," Norris said. "He was pretty much like he is now. He was 6-foot-7 in eighth grade."

By the time he finished his senior year at Maine Central Institute, Johnson was the consensus national player of the year. He became the Conference USA freshman of the year at Cincinnati.

Johnson joined a struggling Atlanta team and Dikembe Mutombo became his mentor. When Johnson showed up at the Knicks' shoot-around, Mutombo figured he had been traded, unaware that he had been out of the league.

Johnson was aware of everything when he walked into the Garden that night. "My first N.B.A. points were in the Garden," he said. "I curled off a screen and hit a little floater in the lane over Glen Rice. And then I hit a 3-pointer."

He watched the Knicks' victory over Indiana from the bench.

Easing Back Into Shape

Knicks Coach Lenny Wilkens was surprised by Johnson's shy personality those first two days. "I didn't realize he was as quiet as he is," Wilkens said. "For the sixth pick in the draft, I expected more."

When he came to the Knicks, Johnson was not awed by the basketball, but by the kitchen at the team's new training facility. On Day 2, he ordered a ham-and-cheese omelet with potatoes, and it became his daily routine.

By the end of the second day, Johnson was eating and sleeping basketball. "I know all the plays," he said. "It's not that hard. I want to do more than just be here. I want to send a message and let everybody know I'm here and I can still play."

On Day 4, Wilkens said
AUTOADVERT
OminousEther
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #571
2/13/2004  10:32 AM
Hooray for him! I wish the guy luck.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/13/2004  10:42 AM
...and this may be the way for the Knicks to finally get a young athletic bench.

Sweets
DerMarr
Frank

Good start but the team need an athletic shot blocker to round it out.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/13/2004  10:43 AM
can we still sign baker to a 10 day? assuming the drinking problem is under control?
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/13/2004  10:57 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

can we still sign baker to a 10 day? assuming the drinking problem is under control?

I suppose so, but I doubt any NBA veteren would accept a 10 day contract no matter how much baggage they had. My guess is he would be asking for the vet minimum at least.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
hDavis
Member: #494
USA
2/13/2004  11:03 AM
Johnson SUCKS. he is horrible! If he gets more minutes than Frank i am gonna be pissed
ANOTHER Knick turnover! -Marv Albert
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
2/13/2004  11:19 AM
Johnson and Frank play two completely different games and positions. One really won't take away from the other's minutes. The coach will never think should I put Frank or Johnson in... Rather.. he will consider.. do I need height and defense against a big player or a quickness and defense against a smaller player...
SO all in all.. Johnson will not really impede on William's minutes.
hDavis
USA
2/13/2004  11:30 AM
ok, but i still think he sucks
simrud
Member: #474
USA
2/13/2004  11:56 AM
Good thing you are not the GM of the Knicks lol. Johnson has no limit on his upside, he was the 6th pick overall. He was supposed to be a superstar before the injury, he can at least be a good player in the future with the possibility of still becoming a real lottery pick. Arent like we are risking anything.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
martin
USA
2/13/2004  12:10 PM
Posted by hDavis:

Is this a sucking like "Hubert Davis" sucks or more like a "the Knicks just signed a guy with tons of upside potential at nearly zero cost who used to be a top 6 pick and was on the verge of busting out but had a terrible accident" sucks?
martin
USA
2/13/2004  12:14 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by hDavis:

Is this a sucking like "Hubert Davis" sucks or more like a "the Knicks just signed a guy with tons of upside potential at nearly zero cost who used to be a top 6 pick and was on the verge of busting out but had a terrible accident" sucks?

I got it, it must the "13 minutes of mostly garbage time that I can make a sure-fire determination of a player and not the nearly 15 days of blood, sweat and tears evaluation that Coach and staff is seeing on a daily basis" sucks.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

2/13/2004  1:26 PM
JOHNSON SHOULD ONLY PLAY WHEN WE NEED TO SHUT DOWN a hot SG, OR SF, other that that he still needs to get his confidence back . He's not an offensive threat on the court, looks lost at times .
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/13/2004  2:19 PM
I'm assuming it's just his nerves thats messing his shot up. From what I've heard from articles, he's got a great shot in practice.
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
2/13/2004  2:26 PM
No way anyone can comment on his game with just a few minutes of real action to judge it on. One thing that can be said is he looks healthy... which he does... I hope he develops with our team. He's got so much potential. It would be a good ending to a tragic story to see him succeed with us.
hDavis
USA
2/13/2004  2:56 PM
Martin- first of allHubert Davis DOES NOT SUCK! but i guess i should wait and see johnson play a little more before i judge him. that wide open 6 footer that he missed really pissed me off though. and also does johnson have a tattoo of himself on his arm?

[Edited by - hDavis on 02/13/2004 14:57:12]
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
2/13/2004  4:28 PM
Posted by hDavis:

and also does johnson have a tattoo of himself on his arm?

No. The tat is of his pops.

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 02/13/2004 16:29:34]
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
CanadianKnicksFan
Member: #483
Canada
2/13/2004  8:50 PM
LOL he sucks
Pure Starks Love
martin
USA
2/13/2004  8:58 PM
Posted by CanadianKnicksFan:

LOL he sucks

DeMarr's Dad sucks? Never saw him play.
Johnson Signed for season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy