[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever
Author Thread
Paladin55
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2098

7/12/2011  10:46 AM
I teach so I have a lot of free time in the summer.

I'm about 1/3rd done with book 3 at this point, and the girlfriend is pissed off with me because I'm supposed to be doing other things.

Hope that HBO is willing to do all the books and add another 2 or 3 episodes each season above the 10 they chose to do for the 1st season.

A lot of characters and stories in each book. Wonder who they will cut out, and what story lines they'll minimized for the sake of making the show more digestible for TV?

No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities- C.N. Bovee
AUTOADVERT
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
7/12/2011  3:13 PM
You're really moving along. But do spend some time with your girlfriend!

Book 5 came out today. I'll get it soon in the mail.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/15/2011  2:33 PM
Paladin55 wrote:I teach so I have a lot of free time in the summer.

I'm about 1/3rd done with book 3 at this point, and the girlfriend is pissed off with me because I'm supposed to be doing other things.

Hope that HBO is willing to do all the books and add another 2 or 3 episodes each season above the 10 they chose to do for the 1st season.

A lot of characters and stories in each book. Wonder who they will cut out, and what story lines they'll minimized for the sake of making the show more digestible for TV?

I hear you. I started reading the series this month and I'm about 1/5 into A Clash of Kings. I've already noticed a few scene that were moved or altered in the television series. I don't have a huge problem with it. The Yoren scene with Arry at the Sept probably made more sense in the television series that it did in the books.

One thing I did notice is how perceptive Cat Stark's character appears to be in the books. In the HBO series, she comes as off as being hotheaded. It was helpful, for me anyway, to get a better insight into her character. On the other hand, I think it's become harder for me to sympathize with Sansa.

I still can't help but wonder what would have happened if Ned joined up with Renly. It wouldn't have been the best match given Ned's cold, austere nature and Renly's flamboyant nature. But it would have kept Ned alive.

Also,I've been impressed so far by Robb's actions as King of the North. He kind of reminds me of Paul Atreides in the first Dune novel. Rickon is also becoming my favorite Stark. Lil man is kinda badass.

The Daenerys scenes are starting to bore me, though.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Markji
USA
8/13/2011  1:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/13/2011  7:14 PM
I don't want to give any spoilers ....has anyone finished reading through book 5, A Dance with Dragons?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
jusnice
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2931
USA
8/15/2011  10:35 AM
I'm struggling through A Feast for Crows right now. It drags and drags and gets away from the main characters to develop alternate POV's. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but most of the reviews of this book suggest that it is the worst in the series.
Markji
USA
8/15/2011  1:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/15/2011  1:16 PM
jusnice wrote:I'm struggling through A Feast for Crows right now. It drags and drags and gets away from the main characters to develop alternate POV's. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but most of the reviews of this book suggest that it is the worst in the series.
You're right. Feast did drag in places, but it sets the stage for the rest of the series coming together.

What did you think of the first 3 books?

I just want to say that there are many levels to the books.
-First, great plot and storylines.

-Second, Characters - he writes from so many different point of views of the major characters. One gets to see and experience things from different angles and it is so darn realistic; one gets to appreciate or hate different characters as the story progresses. People aren't just good or bad, but are various shades of gray.

-Third: Mysteries, foreshadowing - The reader never fully knows what is really true or what's really going on behind the scenes. Clues are left throughout the series, but one has to find them. If you like this, it is really amazing. Which I do. The HBO series doesn't bring this out. They focus on plot and characters which in itself is great.

The biggest mystery, and not yet revealed, is who are Jon Snow's parents. It may not be what it seems to be. Lot's of clues but not yet absolutely known.

Enjoy the read.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/16/2011  12:53 AM
Just finished Storm of Swords. It's inda hard to believe, but I find Cat Stark more annoying than Cersei Lannister. I also find it funny that the Imp and crippled Stark boy have been the most interesting characters so far.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Markji
USA
9/19/2011  12:25 AM
Congratulations to Peter Dinklage. He won the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. Well-deserved IMO. He nailed the character of the Imp, Tyrion Lannister.
jusnice
USA
9/21/2011  9:42 AM
Agreed, was very happy that he won and watched the Emmy's just for Game of Thrones. I'm reading a Dance w/ Dragons right now and while his books are longer than they need to be, they tend to have great endings. I'm in the last 3rd of the book, and it is awesome. I hope we don't have to wait 5 years for the next installment...
Markji
USA
9/22/2011  6:33 AM
jusnice wrote:Agreed, was very happy that he won and watched the Emmy's just for Game of Thrones. I'm reading a Dance w/ Dragons right now and while his books are longer than they need to be, they tend to have great endings. I'm in the last 3rd of the book, and it is awesome. I hope we don't have to wait 5 years for the next installment...

Agreed, the books are drawn out in places. But lots of very interesting stuff is about to happen. Enjoy. I can't post anything specific here because it would ruin it for the "Others" on this board.

BigDaddy - Agree on the interesting characters - George RR Martin has said that of all the characters, he likes and identifies most with The Imp. Misshapen and misunderstood, but clever, witty, , and gallant at times.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/29/2011  11:58 AM
I don't have HBO but when HBO gave that free view last weekend. I watched all 10 episodes in 24 hours. Wow. Great series. My favorite character is the Imp.
Markji
USA
11/12/2011  10:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2011  8:18 AM
Spoiler Alert - if you haven't yet seen the HBO Series:
This guy is freaking hilarious in his 1 minute review of each episode of A Game of Thrones. He captures the ups and downs of the conflicts and killing off of some of the characters with his own emotions. I was laughing my head off at times, but he was really right on. I'm curious, for those who hadn't read the novels, was this how you felt while watching the HBO series?

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/5/2011  10:18 PM
Im about 900 pages into a Storm of Swords. The books are incredible, with loads of suspense and intrigue, but 3000 pages of reading and I kind of hoped we'd progressed a little more! As long as Mr. Martin stays alive long enough to finish the series!
Markji
USA
1/18/2012  7:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2012  4:19 PM
Peter Dinklage wins the Golden Globe Award for best supporting actor. Well deserved. That's 2 awards as he also won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.

This clip is pretty cool as it shows highlights of Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) scenes during the first season.

Markji
USA
2/3/2012  8:51 AM
Season 2 of A Game of Thrones Trailer. First episode starts April 1 - true, not fooling.
Can't Wait.

jusnice
USA
2/3/2012  3:54 PM
Gonna have to re-up w/ HBO just for this.
Markji
USA
2/26/2012  8:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/26/2012  10:01 AM
Another trailer just out - " Cold Winds" Almost 2 million hits already. (The previous Season 2 trailer has 5.5 million hits.) I didn't realize how popular this is world-wide.

Just looked at IMDB - Game of Thrones is rated 9.4 out of 10. That's one of the highest ratings for a TV series that I have seen on IMDB.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/28/2012  9:59 PM
The trailers are incredible- the show is fantastic. Got me totally hooked on the books. I loved every minute of the first season and can't wait for the next one. I think the cast is terrific.
Markji
USA
3/19/2012  8:16 AM
Great series - and Season 2 starts April 1st.

Below is an interview GRRM did recently in Canada. I found it very interesting as we get to understand how George RR Martin thinks. Like breaking the stereotyping of characters - not being all good or all evil; etc.

The first 2 parts are for everyone - no spoilers,
But Part 3 does have spoilers. So if you haven't read the books, SKIP Part 3.

Part 1

Part 2

Markji
USA
3/29/2012  3:01 PM
Season 2 Starts

Sunday April 1 at 9PM

No Knicks game Sunday so an open evening.

A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy