A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever
Author Thread
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

5/2/2016  4:41 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I think the tall Sandsnake with the ponytail and whip is sexy. Too bad Beniof and Weiss completely effed up the Dornish storyline in the HBO series. Totally out of character for Doran to be surprised like that. I don't mind it when the show veers away from the book, but i expect something on par with what has already been established.

I know right. It sucks that they did not flesh his character out as the long game strategist. Also for a king to have only one loyal man protecting him is kind of silly. He would have made sure his royal guard was uncomfortable.

Did Roose drink the same cup of stupidity that Prince Doran drank from? Roose and Doran are two of the most politically astute men Westeros and the show kills them through the stupidest means.

I know right. This show is starting off properly very quickly for the non book readers but for me is been ho-hum.

Also, the depiction of Brynden Riversis down right terrible. At least give me a missing eye.

AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/6/2016  11:26 AM
Show is losing me somewhat. I think they are feeling forced to wrap things up to get to the conclusion whereas GRRM clearly has written this series in no hurry. Therefore you've gotten a lot of sloppy conclusions to plotlines (stannis last year, Dorne, Roose). The show on some level is still great entertainment with excellent acting and cinematogoraphy, but this year the writing in terms of setting up the plotlines, continuity and creating logical transitions has been downright atrocious. There are plotholes everywhere (where'd the dogs that were chasing Sansa and Theon go? I think there were 6 of Ramsay's men and they only killed 5) and they haven't even been consistent about things they set up (they originally said Cersei had 4 kids and now she only talks about 3 - she only had 3 in the book, Melisandre took off her necklace 2 seasons ago and didn't turn old). Im still watching, but I'm now starting to hope GRRM and the show end up having major differences so I can really think about them separately.
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
5/10/2016  1:38 PM
The Tower of Joy scene was fantastic. I'd like to know who the actor or stuntman was who played Sir Arthur Dayne. Probably the best swordsman I've seen on TV, and maybe even in movies. Wielding 2 swords and fighting off 4 men was awesome.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/11/2016  5:51 PM
Markji wrote:The Tower of Joy scene was fantastic. I'd like to know who the actor or stuntman was who played Sir Arthur Dayne. Probably the best swordsman I've seen on TV, and maybe even in movies. Wielding 2 swords and fighting off 4 men was awesome.

I agree with you about the fight scene. I'm not sure how i feel about Dayne wielding two swords in the show. The books made it seem like Dawn is such an awesome sword that Dayne wouldn't need a second sword. It isn't even clear if Dayne was wielding Dawn during the fight. I guess it isn't that important. Most show viewers think Dawn is just a typical Valyrian sword. The Smalljon Umber plot seemed random and my expectations for it are low after watching happened in Dorne.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
VDesai
USA
5/16/2016  3:58 PM
Actual fight scene with Dayne was fine, but I'm pissed that they didn't show Dawn. may not be important for the show, but the mystique behind that sword is one of the more interesting things in the series.

So Daenerys is totally immune to fire in the show universe. Not sure it will be the same in the books, but that scene was pretty cool I guess.

Looks like they are giving Ramsay at least till the end of the season before they kill him off. Kind of a waste to have Osha gone for 4 years and then die almost immediately, but hey, they are really moving things along.

Markji
USA
5/16/2016  5:42 PM
For VDesai and BigDaddy - I believe Sir Arthur Dayne had the sword Dawn. Check out the scene where he approaches Ned and company and shoves his sword into the earth in front of them. There is a brief close-up which shows the sigil of his house - Sunspear - the sun with a spear thru it. And the sword looks milky white, so, I think that sword is Dawn even if it isn't a large, 2-handed sword as described in the books.

They have take various liberties but in this case, who cares. They found an actor who could handle 2 swords in a fight; one against 4, and staged an amazing fight scene. One of the best I've seen.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
BigDaddyG

5/22/2016  10:05 PM
I understand the need for the showrunners to wrap things up, but the pacing has really gone to crap. That said, R.I.P. Hodor. You deserved better.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Markji
USA
5/26/2016  9:27 AM
Spoilers if u haven't seen the last episode #5

Hodor
Hold the door.

Brilliant. And George RR Martin had this laid out right from the beginning in Book 1.

yellowboy90

5/30/2016  6:47 PM
I kind of figured BenJen/Coldhands would come into play after Hodor died. There was no
way Meera could drag Bran back to the Wall. I would like to know where he was all this time though.
VDesai
USA
5/31/2016  10:43 AM
Lots of weird continuity errors/awkward rushing of things. Thought the Hodor reveal was very emotional and interesting, though the time travel path they are going down is likely to be confusing and awkwardly executed IMO.

Drogon scene this week was visually appealing, but wouldn't have been better if Drogon had come a few weeks ago?

Markji
USA
5/31/2016  12:17 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:I kind of figured BenJen/Coldhands would come into play after Hodor died. There was no
way Meera could drag Bran back to the Wall. I would like to know where he was all this time though.

Good question. The ranging party north of the wall led by Lord Commander Mormont sure could have used his help and intelligence reporting.

In the books, Coldhands was not able to pass thru the Wall, so he is stuck in Wildling territory.

yellowboy90

5/31/2016  7:44 PM
Markji wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:I kind of figured BenJen/Coldhands would come into play after Hodor died. There was no

Good question. The ranging party north of the wall led by Lord Commander Mormont sure could have used his help and intelligence reporting.

In the books, Coldhands was not able to pass thru the Wall, so he is stuck in Wildling territory.

I know right. I mean beyond the wall the whitewalkers' army is growing so where was he hiding out. I get why he wasn't in the tree because in the book coldhands could not enter the tree either. So did they just turn him while Bran was learning?

RE: Sam
If you know your dad doesn't like you why give him more ammunition to have you killed by telling him you broken your vows and then later stealing the family sword when you leave?

DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

5/31/2016  8:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/31/2016  8:26 PM
VDesai wrote:Lots of weird continuity errors/awkward rushing of things. Thought the Hodor reveal was very emotional and interesting, though the time travel path they are going down is likely to be confusing and awkwardly executed IMO.

Drogon scene this week was visually appealing, but wouldn't have been better if Drogon had come a few weeks ago?

I'm sure they had to give the CG team as much time as possible to render Drogon! Maybe that's why all the direwolves are dying, save some EFX budget (but I haven't read the books). And were are the other two dragons supposed to be, in the dungeon?

Another continuity flub: the episode when Jon resurrects and walks out of Castle Black sans cloak saying **** this **** ... roll credits ... but then the next episode he's back as a consultant with Dolorius Edd?

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
BigDaddyG

6/12/2016  10:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/12/2016  10:08 PM
Geez....what was the point of Arya's story arc? Dorne, the Iron Islanders and now this. I'd prefer it if the showrunners ignored these plotlines altogether if they refuse to do them justice.
DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

6/13/2016  12:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/13/2016  12:28 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:Geez....what was the point of Arya's story arc? Dorne, the Iron Islanders and now this. I'd prefer it if the showrunners ignored these plotlines altogether if they refuse to do them justice.

Ain't that the truth. So lame and predictable. There are frickin' dragons and resurrections, but what is really unbelievable is the idea you can get shanked in the mid-section multiple times — knife twist and everything — and some actress with bad taste in boyfriends can patch her with some rags, soup, and bedrest. Enough for her to get in a crosstown chase from a Faceless Girl who has a hard on for her like she's a Bravosi Terminator.

I'm convinced the House of Black and White is just a really grim beauty parlor specializing in highlights. "A man uses peroxide in his hair."

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
Markji
USA
6/27/2016  8:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/27/2016  8:20 PM
Episode 10 was fantastic (as was episode 9). Both received a 10 on IMDB. In episode 10, they brought a lot of story arcs to a close and it was very satisfying. I won't write anything specific as I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched it yet.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

6/28/2016  8:04 AM
Markji wrote:Episode 10 was fantastic (as was episode 9). Both received a 10 on IMDB. In episode 10, they brought a lot of story arcs to a close and it was very satisfying. I won't write anything specific as I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched it yet.

so I thought episode 10 was better than 9... and that blows my mind because I loved episode 9. Just incredible really.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/24/2016  4:54 PM
Am I the only one dying for Arya to re-unite with her Direwolf, Nymeria?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Markji
USA
7/24/2016  5:02 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:Am I the only one dying for Arya to re-unite with her Direwolf, Nymeria?

Love to see Arya re-unite with Nymeria.....as well as Jon, Sansa and Bran.

I was so happy when she cut Walder Frey's throat. Fitting justice.

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/24/2016  5:08 PM
I think she will definitely re-unite with those 3. For how long or in what form, I have no clue. I think the prospect of her reacquainting with Nymeria, especially with the stories told in the books, is a lot more exciting.

The scene with her and Frey was delightful.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy