[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

6/25/2015  12:01 AM
DrAlphaeus wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/05/19/claire-mccaskill-is-done-with-game-of-thrones-after-sundays-rape-scene-shes-got-a-point/

To what extent are these people full of **** on a show that has seen all manner of violence perpetuated against men? After all, a man did have his penis cut off (Theon), another had his eyes gouged out and his head crushed by another (Obrean) and the scores of other men that have been impaled over the course of 5 seasons?

And with Theon they always just cut away to someone sticking a fork in a sausage for that extra zing!

I know, there is a house with a flayed man on their banner for the Gods sake! I have to say, that scene with Sansa was a friggin' gut punch. I understand why it upset people — it upset me! People might have thought they were just responding to the rape scene but it was really their connection to the Sansa character and the way the narrative played with her eventually being saved from this situation just in the nick of... PSCYHE! Reek, you watch! >roll credits<

And then we the audience realize WE ARE ALL NOW REEK!

People will watch a massive battle scene where hundreds of deaths are portrayed and say that was "the best scene ever" but it's the up-close-and-personal violence involving young women and girls this season that crosses a line with folks. Look it: war, that's a dude thing, right? Dudes dying gruesome deaths for ****all — I mean honor or some other virtue — that's cool. It's the paradox of the mainstreaming of rated-R television and dungeons & dragons fantasy war for entertainment's sake. No tears over the dead prostitutes of Kings Landing — I still remember you ladies — but you know they weren't virgins and sold themselves anyway so oh well...

And for me, I wasn't mad at HBO, (I really was mad at the showrunners for a couple minutes) I was mad at myself! Are these really the type of visuals I want rattling around my head on a Sunday night before a workweek in the name of entertainment?

And I'm doing the same thing as a Senator from Missouri?

I'm not inclined to see their point because people like that fail to acknowledge any kind of injustices of people that don't fit their identity. In particular, people like Senator Gillibrand and McCaskill will rant and rave about rape but how much you want to bet that they have NEVER attempted to introduce legislation that would attempt to reduce prison rape?

All this isn't to say that I wasn't repulsed by what happened to Sansa but in the grand scheme of GOT, it is relatively mild. We didn't even get a visual of it, which lessened the shock factor for me. To each his own. Some say that that scene in particular served no purpose but I definitely think it added dimension to Ramsey's character. As much as he is a psychopath, I was wondering if his gentlemanly front would persist due to Sansa's ability to help him consolidate power. It didn't and shows that his behavior is not only erratic but irrational, which I suspect will contribute to his undoing next season.

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/26/2015  2:40 PM
Markji wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:So Jon Snow is dead. That might kill some theories.

Maybe. It seems like John is dead but Melisandre is there at the wall. Fan theory says that she will bring Jon back to life. Same situation in the books so everyone is left guessing.

I thought everyone here would be talking about Cercei's "Walk of Shame."

Eh, I thought the book's depiction was worse.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/31/2015  5:32 PM
Came out today that the show will be going 8 seasons.
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
8/1/2015  6:25 AM
VDesai wrote:Came out today that the show will be going 8 seasons.

Excellent news. I feel like an addict getting another hit.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
VDesai
USA
8/10/2015  10:46 AM
Markji wrote:

Also Ian McShane from Deadwood will be on the show this year. They didn't say the role. It could be as Randall Tarly or perhaps Euron Grejoy

Markji
USA
8/11/2015  5:37 PM
VDesai wrote:
Markji wrote:

Also Ian McShane from Deadwood will be on the show this year. They didn't say the role. It could be as Randall Tarly or perhaps Euron Grejoy

or possibly the Mad King Aerys....in a flashback.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
BigDaddyG

8/16/2015  9:39 PM
Markji wrote:
VDesai wrote:
Markji wrote:

or possibly the Mad King Aerys....in a flashback.

They basically ignored the Ironborn for two seasons. It might be tough to transition to Euron, Aeron and Victorion. I bet most viewers forgot about Baelon. That said, I think Randy Tarly would be a waste of McShane.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
VDesai
USA
9/3/2015  5:18 PM
Some Danish actor got cast as Euron, so still not sure who McShane is going to play. People keep saying Randyll Tarly, but I've read some new theories that it could be Wyman Manderly. He's not nearly as fat as Wyman, but he would be an interesting choice for the part. It looks like season 6 will be all about the North Remembers revenge plot and Manderly is central to that.
Markji
USA
3/6/2016  7:57 AM
This is slightly off-topic to this off-topic thread.

Melissandre at a Baby Shower - on Seth Meyers. I love her!

Markji
USA
4/12/2016  10:55 AM
Latest trailer - GoT Season 6 Trailer #2. Whew!

BigDaddyG

4/14/2016  6:15 PM
My expectations are muted. I disagreed with just about every change the showrunners made from the book last season. I still reactivated my HBONow account tho. I've followed the series too long to stop now.
Markji
USA
4/15/2016  8:17 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:My expectations are muted. I disagreed with just about every change the showrunners made from the book last season. I still reactivated my HBONow account tho. I've followed the series too long to stop now.

I don't mind most of the changes they made from the books. For example, sending Jon to Hardhomme worked out well and the entire episode was fantastic. But I didn't like Sansa taking the place of Jeyne Poole and marrying Ramsey. It didn't make sense. She regressed to being a pawn again. I'd love to see Sansa transition to "Dark Sansa" and finally become a player in the game of thrones.
VDesai
USA
4/15/2016  10:14 AM
I prefer GRRM's vision, but at this point given the Show is passing the books I'm trying to keep more of an open mind and assess the show on its own. I do think the trailers look very good. I also think that they have a brilliant cast and that it will continue to be entertaining. Kind of sucks they only get Ian McShane for a very small part, but looking forward to seeing him.
BigDaddyG

4/15/2016  1:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2016  1:17 PM
Markji wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:My expectations are muted. I disagreed with just about every change the showrunners made from the book last season. I still reactivated my HBONow account tho. I've followed the series too long to stop now.

I don't mind most of the changes they made from the books. For example, sending Jon to Hardhomme worked out well and the entire episode was fantastic. But I didn't like Sansa taking the place of Jeyne Poole and marrying Ramsey. It didn't make sense. She regressed to being a pawn again. I'd love to see Sansa transition to "Dark Sansa" and finally become a player in the game of thrones.

The Hardhomme was probably the best action scene in the entire series. Still, one of the things that made the massacre at Hardhomme so disturbing in the book is that we couldn't really piece together what happened. All we had was that cryptic message, which was chilling. I though the show's handeling of Dorne also failed. I think the show's handeling of Stannis was all over the map and his final battle was underwhelming. I also agree with you about the Sansa changes. It was very out of character for Littlefinger. I found it hard to believe that Littlefinger, with all of his resources, had no idea that Ramsey is a psychopath. Book Littlefinger's motivations make more sense. I did like the changes they made with Tyrion, but im guessing it means we wont see another Targaryen popping up.

Markji
USA
4/18/2016  6:59 AM
VDesai wrote:I prefer GRRM's vision, but at this point given the Show is passing the books I'm trying to keep more of an open mind and assess the show on its own. I do think the trailers look very good. I also think that they have a brilliant cast and that it will continue to be entertaining. Kind of sucks they only get Ian McShane for a very small part, but looking forward to seeing him.

I agree. I also like the show as another form of entertainment, separate from the books. They have done an incredible job and it is the most viewed HBO show ever. And we do get a new series every year.

I started reading the books in the fall of 1995 and read the first 4 books consecutively over the following few months. Over the last 10 1/2 years GRRM has only published 1 additional book (#5 in the series) and we all are waiting, seemingly forever, for book #6. So I say screw the books for now. I'm totally enjoying the show, and when/if the books ever get completed, I will read them.

BigDaddyG

4/24/2016  10:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2016  10:11 PM
I think the tall Sandsnake with the ponytail and whip is sexy. Too bad Beniof and Weiss completely effed up the Dornish storyline in the HBO series. Totally out of character for Doran to be surprised like that. I don't mind it when the show veers away from the book, but i expect something on par with what has already been established.
BigDaddyG

4/24/2016  10:19 PM
I guess the Melisandre theories have been confirmed.
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

4/25/2016  11:42 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:I think the tall Sandsnake with the ponytail and whip is sexy. Too bad Beniof and Weiss completely effed up the Dornish storyline in the HBO series. Totally out of character for Doran to be surprised like that. I don't mind it when the show veers away from the book, but i expect something on par with what has already been established.

I know right. It sucks that they did not flesh his character out as the long game strategist. Also for a king to have only one loyal man protecting him is kind of silly. He would have made sure his royal guard was uncomfortable.

BigDaddyG

5/1/2016  9:40 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I think the tall Sandsnake with the ponytail and whip is sexy. Too bad Beniof and Weiss completely effed up the Dornish storyline in the HBO series. Totally out of character for Doran to be surprised like that. I don't mind it when the show veers away from the book, but i expect something on par with what has already been established.

I know right. It sucks that they did not flesh his character out as the long game strategist. Also for a king to have only one loyal man protecting him is kind of silly. He would have made sure his royal guard was uncomfortable.

Did Roose drink the same cup of stupidity that Prince Doran drank from? Roose and Doran are two of the most politically astute men Westeros and the show kills them through the stupidest means.
BigDaddyG

5/1/2016  9:56 PM
And now it begins lol
A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy