Why Phoenix trade was brilliant for them
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/8/2004  8:14 AM
"I think the trade was good in that it gave both teams what they wanted."

Exactly... the Suns wanted to save money, the Knicks wanted a franchise player. Look at what MArbury's done to the Knicks. Have Doleac, Thomas, KVH and Harrington magicly decided to become better players? No.. its called having a star PG that makes guys on your team better. Its not the 20/9 that Steph brings everynight, its the fact that he makes average players simply better. Who's better? Kurt, Othella, Doleac and Penny... or Reggie, Al, Jermaine and Ron? Yes... the Pacer game was just one game, but its a perfect example of how ONE player elevates the play of his whole team. Marbury is one of about 4-5 guys in the NBA that can do that.

If PHO drafts so well why dont they just us it to surround one of the best young cores with great role players?

As for Steph not practicing he shouldnt with the ankle problems he was having. He played 82 games two years in a row in pain and opted NOT to have surgury until the offseason, and was among NBA tops in minutes played. Lets not talk about being lazy here.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
2/8/2004  8:36 AM
who cares? That is Phoenix. This is NY! Dice is out, Lampe is getting DNP-CD all over the pklace. They have Eisley for 3 more years! Milos may be good, but he will not be as good as marbury ever. The draft picks? They could be Sam Bowie or Christian laetnner!

NY has the best player in the deal and he wants to play in NY! That is how deals are judged. They also got a hell of a 6th man! they are 9-5 since the deal. They are 9-3 post Chaney! (to me as important as the deal, getting rid of that bum!)

24-27 and Climbing. A 5 seed is possible.

Newbies, please realize that gogetit, playa2 and some other names are the same idiot. He likes when NY has losers leading thema nd hates when NY has winners leading them. He has hated, JVG, Spree, Ewing and now Wilekns, IT and Marbury. He has liked Laydena nd Chaney. Enough said.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
2/8/2004  11:14 AM
Posted by GoNyGoNyGo:

who cares? That is Phoenix. This is NY! Dice is out, Lampe is getting DNP-CD all over the pklace. They have Eisley for 3 more years! Milos may be good, but he will not be as good as marbury ever. The draft picks? They could be Sam Bowie or Christian laetnner!

NY has the best player in the deal and he wants to play in NY! That is how deals are judged. They also got a hell of a 6th man! they are 9-5 since the deal. They are 9-3 post Chaney! (to me as important as the deal, getting rid of that bum!)

24-27 and Climbing. A 5 seed is possible.

Newbies, please realize that gogetit, playa2 and some other names are the same idiot. He likes when NY has losers leading thema nd hates when NY has winners leading them. He has hated, JVG, Spree, Ewing and now Wilekns, IT and Marbury. He has liked Laydena nd Chaney. Enough said.

Haha, gony, exposing playa again, i knew he was using other screen names because no one ever agrees with playa 100% and he agreed with himself after every post, typical playa..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
2/8/2004  11:22 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by playa2:

How can you say phoenix was stupid? They knew with marbury ,marion and amare they weren't gonna supplant the favorites in the west. What they are really doing is dropping some salary at sg(penny) and getting a team together who will be in their prime when Kings and Dallas will have to break up because of salary cap and free agent contracts and the Shaqs and Duncans either get older or have no more supporting cast that can handle playoff pressure. I see that as being "BRILLIANT MOVE". Getting the Suns ready to make a run as soon as the favorites lose a their edge. When milos learns to play in the NBA game along with Lampe Phoenix will be better they have 2pg's Milos and Barbosa to grow with. Joe Johnson is a STUD and so is Stoudemire along with Marion and all will still be young. You have to be blind not to see their future is BRIGHT!
[Edited by - playa2 on 02/07/2004 21:39:43]

You think it was a "BRILLIANT MOVE" because you're are making unwarranted assumptions:

1) That they will use their draft choices well.

2) That Duncan will show signs of age any time soon, which considering he is only 27 years old, is unlikely.

3) That Amare, with his potential emotional problems, won't implode.

4) That the Nuggets and the Clippers, with abundant talent, won't replace Dallas and the Kings, if in fact they eventually face cap problems.

5) That a gutless player like Vujanic, who was too scared to play in NY, will ever be anything more than a marginal talent.

6) That slow footed, unathletic Lampe, with a questionable work ethic, will ever be a good player.

A "BRILLIANT MOVE" would have been to make it work with Amare, Marion, Johnson and Steph, and then add to that core with a player acquired with the MLE, or through a trade.

You continue to show your bias with every new post.

[Edited by - Rich on 02/08/2004 05:55:36]

excellent post rich, just excellent, playa shows his foolishness again. Duncan is 27, parker 21, they have hedo Turkoglu and ginobili all young players, they will be around for a while( i guess since they are not 17 they are headed for social security....LOL)

Next like you said, the nuggets are a young team on the rise, and IMO with better talent than the suns... And what about the warriors? playa shows his biases everytime he post.

This trad had salary dump all over it for the suns, really if they wanted to compete, marbury had supreme trade value, why not trade him for some young cheaper talent, I mean marbury is only 26, so it is not like he was not young enough to build around just expensive.. I am sure the clippers would have loved to give up Q, richardson, and wilcox and a future pick. The warriors would have definately traded some of their talent and a pick, all which could have been better than lampe and milos. but the key here was the knicks giving up expiring deals and taking on penny, and the suns saw SALARY DUMP..

That was obvious!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

2/8/2004  11:40 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by playa2:

How can you say phoenix was stupid? They knew with marbury ,marion and amare they weren't gonna supplant the favorites in the west. What they are really doing is dropping some salary at sg(penny) and getting a team together who will be in their prime when Kings and Dallas will have to break up because of salary cap and free agent contracts and the Shaqs and Duncans either get older or have no more supporting cast that can handle playoff pressure. I see that as being "BRILLIANT MOVE". Getting the Suns ready to make a run as soon as the favorites lose a their edge. When milos learns to play in the NBA game along with Lampe Phoenix will be better they have 2pg's Milos and Barbosa to grow with. Joe Johnson is a STUD and so is Stoudemire along with Marion and all will still be young. You have to be blind not to see their future is BRIGHT!
[Edited by - playa2 on 02/07/2004 21:39:43]

You think it was a "BRILLIANT MOVE" because you're are making unwarranted assumptions:

1) That they will use their draft choices well.

2) That Duncan will show signs of age any time soon, which considering he is only 27 years old, is unlikely.

3) That Amare, with his potential emotional problems, won't implode.

4) That the Nuggets and the Clippers, with abundant talent, won't replace Dallas and the Kings, if in fact they eventually face cap problems.

5) That a gutless player like Vujanic, who was too scared to play in NY, will ever be anything more than a marginal talent.

6) That slow footed, unathletic Lampe, with a questionable work ethic, will ever be a good player.

A "BRILLIANT MOVE" would have been to make it work with Amare, Marion, Johnson and Steph, and then add to that core with a player acquired with the MLE, or through a trade.

You continue to show your bias with every new post.

[Edited by - Rich on 02/08/2004 05:55:36]
# 1 PHOENIX always drafts well
#2 Duncans (SUPPORTING CAST) won't be good enough in few yrs.
#3Amare will only get better , he has guys in west fearing him in his 2nd yr all ready.
#4 I am talking about phoenix with Marion Amare and Johnson great Nucleus.
#5 Vuljanic didn't want to deal with Layden and a gut load of pgs on knicks roster. He chose to go to a tougher league the western conf, get a clue on toughness.
#6 Lampe is 18 talk to me about him after his rookie contract is up.

You guys don't understand a thing all you see is NY and don't really know other teams perspectives.In the east your supposed to win now, but in the west if you don't have shaq or duncan you're just treading water waiting for them to decline.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
playa2

2/23/2004  9:08 PM
I let the truth be told NY and Phoenix are going in different directions. One who know they can't win(SUNS) and one who thinks they can win, with just with a pg.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
2/23/2004  9:37 PM
HOW MANY FREAKING TIMES ARE YOU GONNA POST THE SAME THING PLAYA?
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
playa2

2/23/2004  10:15 PM
This is some of the most hypocritical postas I have ever seen, simrud what are you talking about????
simrud
USA
2/24/2004  12:10 AM
You'b been posting two things over and over again for the last month, how the Marbury trade is bad and how we should have gotten Sheed or Reef instead with that package. Havent read anything new from you in forever. Why not come up with something different for a change. Post something about how much Tim Thomas sucks or something like that. Its getting tiring opening up the same post over and over again under yet another title. I gocha already, you think we should have gotten a bigmen rather then a PG, and you don't like Iseah Thomas. OK, fine, but there is more going on right now. There is a new trade that just went down for one thing. We might sign Baker soon. A million more things to talk about then a month old notion.
playa2

2/24/2004  6:58 AM
ALL YOU DO IS MAKE EXCUSES , I already posted about the difference between KVH and TT many times go and look for them.
simrud
USA
2/24/2004  8:45 AM
I am not making excuses I'm just trying to like the damn team for a change after 2 years of hating every single guy on the roster and in the front office.
playa2

2/24/2004  7:38 PM
LOOKIE HERE :Jerry Colangelo's wallet. Sending Marbury and Penny Hardaway to New York in January gave the Suns financial flexibility for the future. But the trade of Gugliotta provided immediate financial relief. Gugliotta was being paid more than $11 million this year, and swapping him for Keon Clark ($5 million) and Ben Handlogten ($350,000) keeps the team out of luxury-tax range. By including a 2004 first-round pick, the Suns saved about $1.2 million in cap space for free agents (draft picks count against the cap, even before they are signed).

playa2

2/26/2004  7:50 AM
What I seen last night showed me "ANOTHER" reason phoenix was able to give up steph. THEY HAVE Amare(lowpost) Marion(athletic wingplayer) a shooter-scorer in Joe johnson, that means anybody servicable(Barbosa-Eisley) can play the pg position for them. If the knicks crash and burn with Nickel and starbury this yr the Suns are gonna recieve a great #1 pick. You guys had it all wrong, your zeal for us to succeed has blinded you to the fact that we are doomed going for a 26 yr old talented pg who seems to be losing hope and playoffs are right around the corner.
playa2

3/13/2004  11:38 AM
Phoenix is laughing at Zeke and UTAH is gonna benefit with the suns #1 pick. NY got fooled in a NY MINUTE. Instant gratification will kill any hope we have in building a good young team thru draft and 1st and 2nd yr guys WITH SHORT CONTRACTS.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
3/13/2004  1:06 PM
Playa, you have just replied to yourself three times! Get a grip man.

Since you love just bringing up old topics, let's bring up some of the things you have said in the past.
"# 1 PHOENIX always drafts well" First rounder Zarko Carbakakakakaka is really playing awesome this year, and don't give me this crap about Barbosa since they traded for him. Amare was a nice pick, but when he falls to you in the lottery at 9 it doesn't take much of a genius to pick him. This is the franchise thats traded away Steve Nash, Mike Finley, Jason Kidd, it is clear they really know what talent is. How about that Jake Tsakidils pick (over Mike Redd)! Man, they really just blow people away with regards to the draft.
"#2 Duncans (SUPPORTING CAST) won't be good enough in few yrs." Considering Tony Parker, Hedo Turkoglu, Manu Ginobili, Rasho Nesterovic, Tim Duncan, and Malike Rose are all under 30 yeras of age, I can see how they won't be good in a few years. Clearly a team on the decline. Give me a break.

Such statements go on and on. I would put money on playa:
a) being a fan of a Western conference team with a serious dislike for New Yorkers
b) being Scott Layden

I'm not sure which one I'll go with, probably both.
#Knickstaps
playa2

3/13/2004  4:26 PM
SEEMS TO ME YOU LOST MONEY OR SOMETHING, listen son I have been a knick fan forever, but I am Tired of the BS just to put fannies in the seats. I want a young nucleus with a younger coach who will grow together. You will never understand man.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
3/13/2004  4:57 PM
I don't know why you think I lost money, that was a pretty erroneous comment.

Regardless, there is a young nucleus, that's why I don't understand where you are coming from. 3 of the Knicks starters are under 30, and it should be 4 (Sweetney should start, move KT to the bench). Marbury is 27, Tim Thomas is 27, Sweetney is 21, Frank Williams is 24, and Nazr is 26. Just loking at that, how can you say this isn't a yuong team??? DerMarr Johnson is also in his twenties and he can only get better.

Next season the Knicks will have expiring contracts which total $10 million, so expect Cezary, Dikembe, and Othella to be traded in deals that make the Knicks even younger. You want two things at once, a young team with a young coach but also a team that will win. You can't have both.
#Knickstaps
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
3/13/2004  9:01 PM
BigSmooth....you made some good points....you have to realize that playa never responds to any points others make....he just takes another stance. Unfortunatly we always post things hoping he someday will.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
simrud
USA
3/13/2004  9:32 PM
I think apparent by now that Marburyh is a not a winner. So trading away a PG who can't lead his team to victories consistently for picks and cap rleaf and prosepects if very good to me. I'd trade Marbury today for picks and Euros along with cap releaf. (If I could get rid of Houston, Penny, and the rest to be under the cap.
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
3/14/2004  12:47 AM
Playa, sorry but your argument rests on the fact that phoenix has johnson, amare and marion. The knicks don't have them. So you can't compare phoenixs side with the knicks. Even if we kept those guys and didn't make the trade our future would look alot worse than it does now.. milos isn't coming for at least 2 yrs. We still have eisley for 4-5yrs?a pick in this draft that might not be until the 10th or so.And another #1 in 10yrs.lampe is going to be good but still probably 2yrs off. So possibly 1 player(lampe) you're getting back a pt guard ,possibly the 2nd most important position, who's 26 yrs , in his prime for 6yrs, and adding talent to him. You can debate both sides but either way there are legit reasons to make the trade.
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Why Phoenix trade was brilliant for them

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy