[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Wilcox and Ratliff
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/3/2004  9:54 AM
These two guys would finish our team for this year, and give us the athleticism we desperatly need. Wilcox is good defensive player and an exceptional athlete. Great dunker and runs like a deer. Ratliff is a good rebounder and the best shot blocker in the NBA.

Thomas/Mutumbo for Ratliff and Atl 2004 #2 pick.
Frank Williams for Wilcox

We get younger, more athletic and have players with skills better suited to play with Marbury and our perimeter guys. We also get a high #2 next year (probably 30-33 range) that we can use to draft a Euro player and trade for another all star in a couple years :)

You backup with Harrington, Doleac and KVH can play some 4 as well.

It makes us a GREAT defensive team and rebounding team, with a bunch of guys that can run built around an all-star PG.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/3/2004  9:59 AM
i like both deals. but at this point, i would even move kurt for a really athletic 3 with a nice upside and just slide kvh to the 4. frank for wilcox is a no-brainer but would the clips do it - they, for some reason, never make deals.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/3/2004  10:18 AM
Yes and yes.

I think Alt would want Sweetney included in the first deal. They are looking to drop salary but need a little something in return.

Also, I think LAC is looking to drop Ely instead of Wilcox. Are they the same players?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
USA
2/3/2004  10:28 AM
Posted by martin:

Yes and yes.

I think Alt would want Sweetney included in the first deal. They are looking to drop salary but need a little something in return.

Also, I think LAC is looking to drop Ely instead of Wilcox. Are they the same players?
No Ely has nice size but is really a younger Kurt Thomas. He's also unproven. Wilcox is unproven to be fair also, but he's a sick athlete and played VERY well when Brand was out.

I think LAL goes for it because Jaric has been disappointing at PG, and Doug Overton hasnt been good either. Kenyon Dooling, Eddie House... they have tried a lot of PGs this year and none have won the job.

As for Atl Ratliff hates being there and Kurt will probably opt out after this year. I'm not sure how long Deke is signed for. I have heard 3 years, I have heard one. None of the sights the post this stuff seem to be consistant. I think we give us a lot for Ratliff who isnt a good offensive player. Kurt and Deke is probably overpaying, but Ratliff is just such a perfect fit for our team it makes sense for us.

I also dont think this is too big a change for a team thats playing well, because our offense runs though our guards, not through the post. They would need to learn the defense, but Wilkins is about being simple in his schemes and just demanding a max effort.
knicks1248
Member: #582
2/3/2004  10:33 AM
Good to see ya fish

But to respond to your post, we have nothing to aquire either one. And no matter how athletic we get, you still need to balance it with fundamentals. Wilcox can't shoot beyond 6 feet, and Ratliffs no KT.

You can't win on just pure athletisim and the Nets will show you that.
We do need a couple of athletic players to help the run, but Wallace is really the only player that would actually fit the bill if we loose KT in the process.
Crawford is also a nice addition, and we know IT has been working feverishly trying to get them both if not just one.

The thing about crawford( judging from his off the backboard slam in traffic last night, in a loss) he doesn't know winning basketball, he's a stat collector with no substance, SHOW AND TELL kinda of player. Exactly what steph was 3 years ago. By the time he's really ready to win, hell be traded, from the knicks or any other team that aquire's him. Just like steph and any other star you can think of.

I think with a coach like Lenny wilken you can't have to many young guy's in the MIX. I belive IT knows this, but knows as well as anybody, that this is a young mans game.
ES
fishmike
USA
2/3/2004  11:19 AM
I disagree... Ratliff would be the harder one because the Hawks are in such a retarded state, but the Clipps desperatly need a PG and Frank would be a nice fit for them. Wilcox is stuck behind Brand so from a roster standpoint it makes good sense from both sides.

The Ratliff deal saves the Hawks money and gives them two good frontcourt players.

As for fundamentals thats why I make this trade. With KVH, Doleac and Houston the Knicks have enough shooters. What they dont have are athletic defenders and they KVH is the only forward on the roster that can really run the floor well and finish. This gives us a better mix of players.
rain
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #353
USA
2/3/2004  1:20 PM
Both would be ideal, if not perfect for the Knicks. You may want to add Marcus Haislip to that list.. he's a younger Ratliffe and may come cheaper.
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
2/3/2004  1:45 PM
I like those trade ideas for Wilcox and Ratliff. They will fit in nicely with Marbury running the show. I really want this to happen.

Ya heard me, Isiah?
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
letitbeheard
Member: #543
2/3/2004  1:50 PM
Posted by KNICKSdom:

I like those trade ideas for Wilcox and Ratliff. They will fit in nicely with Marbury running the show. I really want this to happen.

Ya heard me, Isiah?
of course we would love those. it makes a lot of sense. all that is left is, for the trades to happen!
Knick2001
Member: #83
2/3/2004  1:50 PM
Clips would trade Ely before Wilcox. Wilcox is still in their plans and rotation, don't see that trade happening.

[Edited by - knick2001 on 02/03/2004 13:52:06]
fishmike
USA
2/3/2004  2:51 PM
Posted by Knick2001:

Clips would trade Ely before Wilcox. Wilcox is still in their plans and rotation, don't see that trade happening.

[Edited by - knick2001 on 02/03/2004 13:52:06]
It comes down to how they value Frank. They literally have no PG. If they think Frank can step in improve that spot is it worth them giving up their backup PF to upgrade the starting PG?
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
2/3/2004  3:50 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

i like both deals. but at this point, i would even move kurt for a really athletic 3 with a nice upside and just slide kvh to the 4. frank for wilcox is a no-brainer but would the clips do it - they, for some reason, never make deals.

Kurt has to be traded for a post up player, unless one is acqured in another trade. That is the team's biggest need, and it will be even more so if they make the playoffs.
fishmike
USA
2/3/2004  4:44 PM
"Kurt has to be traded for a post up player"

yea.. that would be nice but he's probably not going to get you one, his value just isnt high enough. BUT you can address another HUGE need and thats frontcourt athleticism. Also, Kurt is NOT a post up player, so its not like your losing some key piece.
OldFan
Member: #446
2/3/2004  6:00 PM
I believe our biggest weaknesses are on defense. Kurt is a reasonable defender in the post. I would like to see us acquire more post defense and shot blocking. Mutumbo blocks shots but no longer has the foot speed to be an effective one on one defender. As much as we need a post up guy I believe success in the playoffs is going to be even more determined by our defense. I'd like to keep kurt and try to add another solid defender.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/3/2004  6:18 PM
what does everyone think of a Ratliff for KT, Othella, FWill trade?

ALT gets a sorta big, expiring contracts and a PG with potential. NY gets big. Terry is more of a scoring PG, right?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/3/2004  6:24 PM
I think that is too much. We should use those guys so that we get a low post player which we desperately need for the playoffs. We could get a ahtletic shot blocker for cheaper.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 02/03/2004 18:28:04]
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
2/3/2004  7:10 PM
I think LAC would be interested in Williams. They are trying to deal Jaric AND Ely to Chitown for I think just Marcus Fizer. They' need a PG desperately after that (that'd be to get cap space, Fizer is a FA). I like Williams, but to get a run-and-jump PF like Wilcox, who reminds me of a young Antonio McDyess, would be perfect for this team and Marbury.

Also, there is an age difference, Wilcox is 22 while Ely is 25. I'll take the 3 years. Throw in a 2nd rounder, there's a 1 in 30 chance it'll be a decent player.

I like the ATL deal for Ratliff. Thomas is nice, but Ratliff is a bonafide premier shotblocker and rebounder, and I think PHI would've played LAL much better a few years ago had they not traded Ratliff at midseason for Mutumbo, who played poorly vs. Shaq in the finals. Ratliff was hurt, but a healthy Ratliff can defend most big men, block a ton of shots, and pull down a million rebounds (a young Mutumbo, I guess). ATL gets cap space, they can let Thomas walk at the end of the year. Maybe all that hinges on that deal is the transfer of ownership to the new owners, it said on Insider today they were looking to unload Ratliff once they got put into power, which could come around the all-star break.
#Knickstaps
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/4/2004  12:14 AM
Wilcox has the potential to become a decent contributor. Stretched over 40mpg, he'd be averaging 16+ppg/9rpg. The nice thing about him right now is that he's shooting about 53% for his career so far.

Then again... he'd be averaging 6 fouls too. :)
His minutes have doubled from his rookie year to 2nd year so far, and his production has increased fairly proportionately.

Ely's numbers have actually taken a step back, performing worse in nearly every statistical category. I'd be very wary of him. However, as a journeyman backup center, his numbers are pretty close to the pace you're looking for. 15mpg/5ppg/4rpg are prototypical backup center numbers (see Michael Doleac).

If you want a 25 year old project who likely won't achieve much more than backup center status, Ely's your man.

Wilcox could potentially become a borderline all-star type of player. He's the guy that more teams will be interested in. What's his future in LA? Brand is cemented down at PF, Maggette & Q have the 2 wing positions covered.

Frank Williams (#25 2002) for Wilcox (#8 2002) would be a great trade. I guess by the numbers, Ely (#12 2002) is still a draft upgrade. FW looks like he might be ready to start.

However, for the Knicks' purposes, I'd love it if we could get a real player like Q-Rich.
if we could grab Jaric for FW, I'd like that too. He isn't really a pure PG, so he's sort of struggling with his role; he's more of a versatile "player" like a Brent Barry or even a Penny Hardaway-- moving into the future, his size, court savvy, and versatility would come in handy. In addition, in the international basketball scene, he's seen by most as a superior player than our never-to-be seen pal Vujanic. :)

Let's just face facts, FW doesn't have much of a future here with the Knicks other than as a trade commodity.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
2/4/2004  7:42 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I think that is too much. We should use those guys so that we get a low post player which we desperately need for the playoffs. We could get a ahtletic shot blocker for cheaper.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 02/03/2004 18:28:04]

Agreed. Ratliff isn't the answer ... At least Thomas has a jumper. We should be going after guys like Swift or Okur. Both will be big.
Wilcox and Ratliff

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy