[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

told you guys.... KVH's best at 4
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/31/2004  9:13 PM
PLEASE stop telling me about what he doesnt do. KVH is best (for this team) at the 4. Look how much better we are when Penny or Shandon is at the 3, KVH at the 4 and Thomas, Deke or Doleac at the 5.

Its just the best fit, and even more reason for the Knicks to move Deke and Kurt for a guy like Ratliff and a draft pick.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
1/31/2004  9:16 PM
The fact that our best 4 is KVH is a reason for us to get another 4. He is playing well tonite but no one cannot trust him in clutch situations.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
fishmike
USA
1/31/2004  9:48 PM
thats VERY fair... we all know he's suspect in big moments, but he's going to be your 3rd option behind Houston and Marbury and with defenses swarming to Steph late KVHs going to get good looks.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/31/2004  9:52 PM
The points made above, in addition to the fact that he can opt out of his contract after the season, make the case for why Kurt Thomas has to be traded before the deadline.

[Edited by - Rich on 01/31/2004 21:53:26]
fishmike
USA
1/31/2004  9:54 PM
Posted by Rich:

The points made above, and that he can opt out of his contract after the season, make the case for why Kurt Thomas has to be traded before the deadline.
losing Kurt doesnt bother me... even if its for nothing. I think he's THAT overrated, but I agree... we should try to move him before the deadline. Hopefully his all star birth only increases his value.
CanadianKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #483
Canada
1/31/2004  9:57 PM
I disagree,KT does good things for our team,Hard worker,Rebounds well,toughness
Pure Starks Love
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
1/31/2004  10:31 PM
Posted by CanadianKnicksFan:

I disagree,KT does good things for our team,Hard worker,Rebounds well,toughness

i disagree, kurt does not contribute anything. being a hard worker means nothing if you can't contribute. being tough means nothing if you can't contribute.

on another note, all the KVH haters need to shut their mouths from now on. this guy put up 30 points, 12 boards, and 7 assists, he is a legitmate threat.
Yes! - Marv Albert
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/31/2004  11:05 PM
move kurt for rodney white
move kurt and deke for stromile
move kurt for wilcox
move kurt for fizer
move kurt for crawford
move kurt for ANYBODY

i also believe kurt is only overvalued by knicks fans. he's not that good and hurts us much more than he helps. kvh has been putting up solid game after solid game. if you look at it, since the beginning of the season, his only bad spots were when he hurt his ankle and when lenny came in. outside of that, he's been REAL SOLID. people need to open their eyes and watch with an UNBIASED PREJUDGED OPINION.

and his defense at the 4 spot is better than the 3. he gets beaten everytime against a 3, but against a 4, his lack of speed doesn't kill him and his height is an advantage.

i agree, kurt NEEDS to go and i've been harping on this for a while. i can't see why denver would turn down a kurt for white deal or why memphis would turn down a kurt and ??? for stro deal. let's pull the trigger.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
1/31/2004  11:55 PM
KT doesnt contribute? Just look up his stats. And he does much more then stats. His post D is great, his help D is also very good, he is a very good defensive rebounder and have been getting offensive boards this year too. He has a very good 15' jumper. Nice touch around the basket. Great at pick and rolls. No allstar, but for his money he is a bargain. If you say he contributes nothing you know nothing about baksetball or just don't watch the games.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
OldFan
Member: #446
2/1/2004  12:07 AM
I have to defend KT too. No he is not a low post threat. But he is our best (only) low post defender. He is one of our best rebounders. He plays good help defense. He is not a star but he's pretty solid.
CanadianKnicksFan
Member: #483
Canada
2/1/2004  12:13 AM
Posted by simrud:

KT doesnt contribute? Just look up his stats. And he does much more then stats. His post D is great, his help D is also very good, he is a very good defensive rebounder and have been getting offensive boards this year too. He has a very good 15' jumper. Nice touch around the basket. Great at pick and rolls. No allstar, but for his money he is a bargain. If you say he contributes nothing you know nothing about baksetball or just don't watch the games.

right on the money

These same guys think Tmac is the second coming of Jordon.LOL
Pure Starks Love
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/1/2004  7:34 AM
Overrated? Well... I think Kurt is actually paid around what he's worth. He's a good contributing big man. He's not great, he's not a superstar. He gets you close to a double-double, plays very good defense, and is willing to sacrifice his body and take charges. Oh yeah, he's been pretty injury free as a Knick.

Looking around the league, he's certainly among the top 29 PF/C's in the league; thus he's worthy of a starting role. He might even squeeze himself on a top 15 PF/C list.

Once again, not great, but I'd imagine he's an average starting quality big man-- on some nights, more.

KVH is capable of playing both forward positions. His game has been a little bit off lately, likely as a result of these little bumps and bruises he's been dealing with lately. When he's on, he's a killer offensively. He's capable of manufacturing 15 point quarters. I think defensively, he has room for improvement. He's relatively quick for his size--- and as a result, with some work, could turn himself into an average or above average defender.

Overall, KVH's versatility makes him very dangerous. When he's moving without the ball, it means he's awake and he's got his game going. Other times, however... he can become a spectator...
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
2/1/2004  10:03 AM
I agree Keith does make a very good 4 for the Knicks. He puts good numbers there and can help them win games. Trading Kurt wouldn't be that big an issue since Keith can rebound as much as Thomas. I hope they do trade Thomas for an athletic player who compliments Starbury's game.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
fishmike
USA
2/1/2004  11:12 AM
Kurt isnt overrated... he's overvalued. He's a good MLE type player and thats it. He also doesnt fit very well on our team because he SLOW. He's NOT a versatile player on offense and he's NOT a great post defender. KMark, Jermaine Oneil and Ben Wallace are GREAT post defender.

This is the problem in a nutshell for people who overvalue Kurt. Dont mistake great hustle and hard work whih Kurt certainly has for great defense. Kurt is often getting outplayed by more athletic players. Kurt is a better center in the East than PF anyway.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/1/2004  11:15 AM
kurt is solid but for a 6th man only. there are WAY TOO MANY times he gets the ball where anyone else in the league would dunk or get fouled. as knicksdom said, we need to better complement to marbury's game.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/1/2004  12:18 PM
Kurt is solid on a team like the Lakers, before they got Karl Malone, who already have Shaq.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 02/01/2004 15:50:22]
OldFan
Member: #446
2/1/2004  12:56 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Kurt isnt overrated... he's overvalued. He's a good MLE type player and thats it. He also doesnt fit very well on our team because he SLOW. He's NOT a versatile player on offense and he's NOT a great post defender. KMark, Jermaine Oneil and Ben Wallace are GREAT post defender.

This is the problem in a nutshell for people who overvalue Kurt. Dont mistake great hustle and hard work whih Kurt certainly has for great defense. Kurt is often getting outplayed by more athletic players. Kurt is a better center in the East than PF anyway.

Did some one say he was a "Great Post Defender". He's a good post defender. When you talk about improving team chemistry you have to look at what Kurt supplies as well as what he doesn't. He is the KNICK BEST post defender. Without him our weak defense gets worse. If we could trade Kurt for someone that is more athletic, better offensively and better defensively - sure I'd trade him - anybody would. The problem is that won't happen.

More likely if he was traded we'd get someone who

1) is better athletically but undeveloped - if this could be done it may be a risk worth taking if you're willing to see the Knicks get worse this year.

2) A player who is better offensively but worse defensively. In my view this makes us worse. We need a low post presence but you won't get a very good one and DEFENSE wins. (Which is why I don't like the Howard trade proposals).

3) A player who when healthy is better but is injury prone. I think we dealt enough with injured players but it could be argued it's a risk worth taking.

As far as the speed issue. You need rebounders to run and Kurt is one of the Knicks best rebounds. Besides outside of Marbury you hav to turn over almost the entire roster to make this team fast...

Houston - Bad knees have robbed him of a lot of speed and his game is only marginally suited to the running game.

Penny - Was last fast 5 years ago.

Van Horn - Not bad speed for his size - but certainly not a grey hound.

Mutombo - 'nough said.

Doleac - I guess compared to Mutombo.

Mookie - Yes he can run - but he don't play much.

Williams - Plays even less then Mookie and is slow for a point guard.

Anderson - See Mookie COmment.

Sweeney - Don't think so.
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
2/1/2004  3:20 PM
Posted by simrud:

his post d is not great. his help d is alright, he can't block shots though. he can't get an offensive rebound-cant jump. he has a decent 15' jumper-doleac's is better and he at least has a touch of mobility. thomas is not great at pick and roll, all he can do is pick and fade into that jump shot, and any offense that relies on that is doomed. yea he contributes something-so does any player that steps on the floor.he doesn't contribute much, and the knicks would be a hell of a better team by upgrading the 4 and/or 5 spots
Yes! - Marv Albert
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/2/2004  1:35 PM
I don't think Van Horn is strong enough to guard most PFs down in the low-post. Against Phoenix, he was guarding Marion, who's really an SF. Most PFs will abuse Keith in the paint. I'd play Van Horn at PF only when the other team's PF is a poor low-post player (like Marion). Keith is not a natural PF or SF, unfortanately. But if you have to pick one, under most circumstances he's done better at the SF.

This is my first post here, by the way. I had over 3000 posts at the msg boards, but like many other posters, I've left that board and I'm now posting here and at the BLP board.
fishmike
USA
2/2/2004  3:09 PM
KVH is actaully pretty strong, he's just not quick and he's not very physical. Look, you clearly lose something on defense there... my arguement is what you gain makes it worth it.
told you guys.... KVH's best at 4

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy