Gallo has been impressive since knee injury
Author Thread
Paladin55
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2098

1/31/2011  4:28 PM
OldFan wrote:
tkf wrote:
OldFan wrote:The one area I hope Gallo works on this summer is his strength and how he uses it. If he was able to hold his ground a little better he'd be a better rebounder, defend better in the post and be able to post up better on offense. He seems to get pushed off of rebounds and out of position in the post.

YEA, i AGREE, I saw him get pushed out of good rebounding position quite a bit last night... strengthen his base and he can hold that ground...

Yes. He often initially has good position but doesn't do a good job holding it. Some of that is technique but it seems a lot of times he just gets over-powered.

Gets pushed around like Woody from Toy Story when he is trying to get through picks.

With that said- he looks more solid to me than when he came up. The baby fat is melting away.

5-7 lbs more and a reduced body fat % and I think he is set.

Happily surprised with how easy he seems to get to the basket once he gets a head of speed up.
He also has a great left hand- you don't see many righties who can extend to the basket like Gallo does with his left hand.

Funny how things change... a short time ago Chandler was on fire and Gallinari was seemingly being attacked as being expendable in a number of posts. Now Gallinari seems to be playing in stride, and Chandler has come back down to earth.

Funny- I don't see the anti-Gallo squad around attacking him these days, and at this point, the Gallo/Chandler rivalry which many have helped create, has tipped in favor of the Italian, I would think.

No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities- C.N. Bovee
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/31/2011  4:40 PM
Paladin55 wrote:
OldFan wrote:
tkf wrote:
OldFan wrote:The one area I hope Gallo works on this summer is his strength and how he uses it. If he was able to hold his ground a little better he'd be a better rebounder, defend better in the post and be able to post up better on offense. He seems to get pushed off of rebounds and out of position in the post.

YEA, i AGREE, I saw him get pushed out of good rebounding position quite a bit last night... strengthen his base and he can hold that ground...

Yes. He often initially has good position but doesn't do a good job holding it. Some of that is technique but it seems a lot of times he just gets over-powered.

Gets pushed around like Woody from Toy Story when he is trying to get through picks.

With that said- he looks more solid to me than when he came up. The baby fat is melting away.

5-7 lbs more and a reduced body fat % and I think he is set.

Happily surprised with how easy he seems to get to the basket once he gets a head of speed up.
He also has a great left hand- you don't see many righties who can extend to the basket like Gallo does with his left hand.

Funny how things change... a short time ago Chandler was on fire and Gallinari was seemingly being attacked as being expendable in a number of posts. Now Gallinari seems to be playing in stride, and Chandler has come back down to earth.

Funny- I don't see the anti-Gallo squad around attacking him these days, and at this point, the Gallo/Chandler rivalry which many have helped create, has tipped in favor of the Italian, I would think.

When I predicted 53 wins I thought wed get great play out of both guys+ Randolph. Randolph was kind of off set by Fields. I think as we go along we can pick up information along the way. I think playing two bigs is obvious. I think the correct break down would be 4 bigs 3 wings and 2PGs in the top 9. Gallo has more space playing with the 1st unit. Chandler can be solidified as a 6th man with Mosgov Williams and Douglas for the bench. I still say this team is better than its record and was not properly utilized. Never shouldve started Mosgov but I think banishing him for 20 games wasn't the right move. then you think he has no value.

RIP Crushalot😞
Ira
Member: #91
1/31/2011  4:50 PM
The point about Gallo getting stronger is important for the reasons mentioned and because Gallo could develop into a good post up player if he were stronger. He has the length, the touch and the agility, but he does need to get stronger.
efw
Member: #1002

1/31/2011  5:00 PM
amazing that he can develop for 5 more years before he even hits his prime
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/31/2011  5:04 PM
Ira wrote:The point about Gallo getting stronger is important for the reasons mentioned and because Gallo could develop into a good post up player if he were stronger. He has the length, the touch and the agility, but he does need to get stronger.

i'm having a different feel on this. i don't think posting-up will be his strength. i think the dribble-drive is, which he’s been using more frequently and more effectively. i think added strength/weight and trying to build up an inside game is going to hamper his driving ability. i'd rather keep him loose and more fluid and exploit his movement at that height then try to build up a part of his game that doesn’t seem natural to him and that he also doesn’t seem built for.

OldFan
Member: #446
1/31/2011  5:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2011  5:12 PM
Marv wrote:
Ira wrote:The point about Gallo getting stronger is important for the reasons mentioned and because Gallo could develop into a good post up player if he were stronger. He has the length, the touch and the agility, but he does need to get stronger.

i'm having a different feel on this. i don't think posting-up will be his strength. i think the dribble-drive is, which he’s been using more frequently and more effectively. i think added strength/weight and trying to build up an inside game is going to hamper his driving ability. i'd rather keep him loose and more fluid and exploit his movement at that height then try to build up a part of his game that doesn’t seem natural to him and that he also doesn’t seem built for.

Yes - I agree that's a risk (that he may lose fluidity).

But he doesn't definitely have to gain a lot of weight - maybe not any. Being able to post on offense is my last consideration for him getting stronger. I'd like to see him be a better rebounder and be able to defend the post better. I'm not sure how much is strength and how much is lack of technique or commitment to holding his position - but he gets pushed around a lot.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/31/2011  5:31 PM
The thing is that Gallo's legs were always underdeveloped and he didn't know how to use them. Now he's getting more strength in his lower body and is learning how to move. I've been so impressed with his driving and happy to see him really use the talent many of us always knew was in there. When he plays with confidence and aggression he's a very good player. People have to remember tho that he's only 22!!! This kid is still developing and hasn't reached his peak yet. In fact I think that's becoming more clear every day to Donnie. I'm starting to believe he really means it when he says that he's not really looking to break up this team!

Despite not being an elite team, this team is so stocked with young potential. Seeing AR and Timo doing well and then realizing how much of the season remains, I would have to agree with Donnie's patient approach. Nothing good comes from rushing. He's been patient his entire time here in NY and so far it's paid off this year. I like what i've seen from Gallo and Chandler, as well as Fields and Williams. Now if we can get AR and Timo into the mix then perhaps it makes more sense to take our chances with FA rather than send away valuable young talent that we already have on the cheap.

Ira
Member: #91
1/31/2011  5:32 PM
I don't think that Gallo should primarily be a post up player. But matchups and situations occur when it's a useful skill and with more strength, he'll be better equipped to take advantage of them.
Bippity10
Member: #574
1/31/2011  5:38 PM
Ira wrote:I don't think that Gallo should primarily be a post up player. But matchups and situations occur when it's a useful skill and with more strength, he'll be better equipped to take advantage of them.

Agreed, it doesn't have to be a major part of his game but it will help to eliminate other teams ability to guard him with a quick little 2 guard. If he can develop as a threat down low he guarantees that he will always be guarded by a bigger guy. When Chandler is in the game with him that will mean a PF, which is a tough matchup for them on the perimeter.

I just hope that people will like me
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/31/2011  5:39 PM
Ira wrote:I don't think that Gallo should primarily be a post up player. But matchups and situations occur when it's a useful skill and with more strength, he'll be better equipped to take advantage of them.

agreed but he needs to add it to his arsenal. Par tof the reason Shawnw Williams was able to shut down LeBron was because he doesn't have a postgame. The more stuff on Gallo's bat belt, the better player he'll be. He doesn't have elite athleticism and you combat that by being as polished as possible.

DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/31/2011  5:58 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Given 15 shots a game, Gallo could average 23 pg easy. He needs to be the second option and he needs to keep driving the ball.

Agreed. The only things that bother me about Gallo are that he doesn't shoot enough and doesn't rebound on either end of the court. He has a ton of skills though and is definitely a keeper.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/31/2011  6:54 PM
He plays the paremiter. Not under the basket.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/31/2011  7:33 PM
Bippity10 wrote:

Agreed, it doesn't have to be a major part of his game but it will help to eliminate other teams ability to guard him with a quick little 2 guard. If he can develop as a threat down low he guarantees that he will always be guarded by a bigger guy. When Chandler is in the game with him that will mean a PF, which is a tough matchup for them on the perimeter.

the only thing i wanna see Gallo develop is a consistent aggression throughout the course of the game... he's got all the skills he needs to be an Allstar calibre player just gotta keep up the intensity for 48 minutes... a little pull up J off the dribble would do wonders for his game also like Kevin Durant has.

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/31/2011  7:50 PM
TMS wrote:
Bippity10 wrote:

the only thing i wanna see Gallo develop is a consistent aggression throughout the course of the game... he's got all the skills he needs to be an Allstar calibre player just gotta keep up the intensity for 48 minutes... a little pull up J off the dribble would do wonders for his game also like Kevin Durant has.

I agree, they got Gallo to shorten his stride, it should make it easier for him to pull up for a jumper. Wouldn't be surprised to see that in his arsenal eventually.

Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
1/31/2011  8:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2011  8:29 PM
Nalod wrote:He plays the paremiter. Not under the basket.

The Knicks are a bad rebounding team because their SF and PF provide well below average rebounding (when we start Gallo and Wilson). Where Gallo plays on offense has nothing to do with his defensive rebounding.
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
1/31/2011  8:35 PM
Combined Gallo and Wilson provide less than average rebounding at the forward position, but they are both average rebounders for a SF.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/31/2011  8:41 PM
To me, more than anything, I'd like to see Gallo moving even more without the ball which opens up his mid range game. Yeah, he could post up more, but once that mid range game is down pat, he could turn into one of the best scorers in the league. That's a lot easier said than done though. With that said, it speaks volumes that we can now say Gallo "Quietly" had a huge 4th quarter yesterday. We now expect this ish out of him... and that's great.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/31/2011  8:45 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:To me, more than anything, I'd like to see Gallo moving even more without the ball which opens up his mid range game. Yeah, he could post up more, but once that mid range game is down pat, he could turn into one of the best scorers in the league. That's a lot easier said than done though. With that said, it speaks volumes that we can now say Gallo "Quietly" had a huge 4th quarter yesterday. We now expect this ish out of him... and that's great.

it all started when he changed the ratio of 3-pointers to drives.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/31/2011  8:52 PM
The minute he developes a mid range jumper, he will have taken his game to the next level.
ES
OldFan
Member: #446
1/31/2011  9:03 PM
Interesting to me that so many people are focused on his offense. I think that is clearly improving.

I think his defense has gotten better also. But he's a weak rebounder and has trouble guarding the post and dealing with physically strong players. Any improvement he can make in those areas make him a better player and really help this team because those skills are lacking on this team.

Gallo has been impressive since knee injury

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy