[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Gallo has been impressive since knee injury
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/31/2011  9:49 AM
Don't know if it also has to do with Chandler struggling and missing games, but Gallo has certainly picked up a little of the slack.

His determination to get to rim has been impressive. That dunk over Greg Monroe early in game against Detroit, all I know is Gallo put a beat down on the rim.

From Hahn today:

Danilo Gallinari had another strong game but it went mostly overshadowed by the feel-good story involving Mozgov and the feeling-pain story involving Stoudemire. As he exited his post-game media session, D'Antoni offered the fact that Gallinari played well to anyone who would listen. It was Gallinari's third 20-point effort in his last five games and it's impossible to not notice how aggressive he has been going to the basket and drawing fouls since he returned from the knee sprain suffered on Jan. 2.

The lift he's showing on his drives to the hoop is something new. He is throwing down dunks now -- he posterized rookie Greg Monroe early in the game -- where he used to barely get to the rim. That appears to be the result of weight room work with the team's strength and conditioning coach, Greg Brittenham, as well as some adjustments made to Gallo's stride and tempo when he does put the ball on the floor. The coaching staff noticed he was taking long strides, which make it harder to get a strong push-off, so he was instructed to slow down his movements and keep his steps shorter. That allows him to get more power in his jump, which gets him closer to the rim for better finishes.

"I'm working on a lot of stuff," Gallinari said. "Stuff you don't see in practice that I do in the weight room, it's working out. Me and Greg, we are doing a pretty good job, trying to work on the explosiveness. All the stuff we're doing is working."

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
orangeblobman
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2539
Nauru
1/31/2011  10:04 AM
Someone here mentioned that Gallinari, after seeing the Knicks ball hard in his absence, would come out swinging after his injury. That was an accurate prediction.

He probably sat back, soaked it in from a different perspective, and applied what he learned to the game once he came back.

Guy is just constantly learning, improving. He brings the heart. +1 for Gallinari. Let's hope he stays bringing it because we will need him at his top for the playoffs.

I think Gallo is a guy that will really bring some coal to the campfire in the playoffs.

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/31/2011  10:25 AM
Before the injury, Gallo was taking it to rim and was looking for contact to get to the line. Now he is just attacking the rim strong. No doubt he was instructed by the coaching staff to just dunk everytime instead of trying to get fouled all the time. Working out great since he is still getting fouled and is dunking more.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/31/2011  10:30 AM
Gallo is playing great right now. He just needs to stay engaged in the game and he can be a superb weapon for this team.

I think his strategy of taking it to the hoop in the first quarter is a great one and seems to get him more involved more quickly. He's got a tremendous ability to draw fouls, too.

29 points on 12 shots last night is crazy.

¿ △ ?
martin
USA
1/31/2011  10:34 AM
crzymdups wrote:Gallo is playing great right now. He just needs to stay engaged in the game and he can be a superb weapon for this team.

I think his strategy of taking it to the hoop in the first quarter is a great one and seems to get him more involved more quickly. He's got a tremendous ability to draw fouls, too.

that's the key right there.

NYKBocker
USA
1/31/2011  10:46 AM
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Gallo is playing great right now. He just needs to stay engaged in the game and he can be a superb weapon for this team.

More than him staying engaged though. The PGs need to keep getting him engaged.

Ira
Member: #91
1/31/2011  10:55 AM
He continues to improve as a defensive player. He's reached the point where he's an asset defensively.
nychamp
Member: #2556

1/31/2011  11:09 AM
I'm onboard with the Gallo love, and his last game was great. However, it should be mentioned that the previous game he came up tiny when the Knicks really could have used him. That is still his flaw...disappearing and not being aggressive enough at times. He needed to step up in that game, it was his game to take over!

But last night was beautiful.

NYKBocker
USA
1/31/2011  11:17 AM
nychamp wrote:I'm onboard with the Gallo love, and his last game was great. However, it should be mentioned that the previous game he came up tiny when the Knicks really could have used him. That is still his flaw...disappearing and not being aggressive enough at times. He needed to step up in that game, it was his game to take over!

Gallo goes 4 for 8 with 12 points with 4 assists. You can't take over a game if your PG does not set you up.

MSG3
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #2476
USA
1/31/2011  11:19 AM
He's been nothing short of great the last couple of weeks. Last night was one of his best all around games as a pro. I've been saying I'd rather keep Chandler than Gallo, but he's making that opinion much harder to justify. He's been fantastic. I agree that he has to stay involved the entire game and not just quarter long stretches.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/31/2011  11:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2011  11:24 AM
He's had quotes before where he essentially suggests he's willing to be passive and wait for the game to come to him. Fuck that, he needs to drop his nuts on the table and take care of business. When he takes that attitude (see: The Melo Game) he's awesome. I would like him to be able to get off his shot like Amar'e gets his drive/elbow shot off. Otherwise he's a Danny Ferry clone
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
umynot
Member: #2093
USA
1/31/2011  11:30 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
nychamp wrote:I'm onboard with the Gallo love, and his last game was great. However, it should be mentioned that the previous game he came up tiny when the Knicks really could have used him. That is still his flaw...disappearing and not being aggressive enough at times. He needed to step up in that game, it was his game to take over!

Gallo goes 4 for 8 with 12 points with 4 assists. You can't take over a game if your PG does not set you up.

Gallo has not gotten more then 15 shot attempts in any game this year......

Yet avg's 16 points a game!!

KNICKS on the way UP!!!
martin
USA
1/31/2011  11:31 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:

I am only half on board with the PG keeping Gallo engaged notion. It holds some validity, especially when Felton just gives ball to Amare and everyone watches. But Gallo got to demand ball too, and he should.

orangeblobman
Nauru
1/31/2011  11:42 AM
umynot wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

He has, but in only two games. For comparison, Chandler averages 14 attempts per game and has gotten over 20 attempts many times. Gallinari shoots 5.8 free throws per game.

Crazy, crazy stats this guy is putting up. Awesome.

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
umynot
USA
1/31/2011  11:44 AM
orangeblobman wrote:
umynot wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

He has, but in only two games. For comparison, Chandler averages 14 attempts per game and has gotten over 20 attempts many times. Gallinari shoots 5.8 free throws per game.

Ok twice in 45 games

Gallo has been impressive everyday since being drafted!!

KNICKS on the way UP!!!
umynot
USA
1/31/2011  11:46 AM
martin wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:

I am only half on board with the PG keeping Gallo engaged notion. It holds some validity, especially when Felton just gives ball to Amare and everyone watches. But Gallo got to demand ball too, and he should.

Felton looks for Amare more then anyone cause Amare is our Superstar

Can't blame Gallo on this one ...... He knows he is just a role player!

But when u give him the rock he does work!!

Simple as that!!

KNICKS on the way UP!!!
orangeblobman
Nauru
1/31/2011  11:49 AM
umynot wrote:
orangeblobman wrote:
umynot wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Ok twice in 45 games

Gallo has been impressive everyday since being drafted!!

Absolutely. Looking at his stats just now, I noticed he went from 3.8 free throw attempts last year to 5.8 this year, that's a huge leap. It's a sign he's vastly improved his balling and added another dimension to his game. While his points per game and rebounds have stayed roughly the same, I reckon he's contributing much more to the team this year because of the way he's getting his points; that is, taking it to the hole more and giving business in all the ways that drawing fouls gives business.

martin
USA
1/31/2011  11:54 AM
Ira
Member: #91
1/31/2011  11:55 AM
Gallo is fifth in the league in points per shot. The only players ahead of him are Nene, Howard, Billups and Martin. Combining that with his much improved defense, it's easy to see how valuable he is.
martin
USA
1/31/2011  11:57 AM
Ira wrote:Gallo is fifth in the league in points per shot. The only players ahead of him are Nene, Howard, Billups and Martin. Combining that with his much improved defense, it's easy to see how valuable he is.

didn't know that. impressive for such a young player.

Gallo has been impressive since knee injury

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy