[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

deadline less than a month away
Author Thread
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
1/28/2004  10:05 AM
OK here is the thing: Everyone here knows I love the new management and I hated the Layen-Chaney era. I love all the new things Isiah has done and I truly believe with this team and this coach we can get to the 2nd round of the playoffs. A low post presence will put us in the same stride as the best in the east and possible title contenders.

BUT, I dont think Zeke can pull off a Low Post star (Rasheed, Shareef, Antwan) before the trade deadline. I think he is done dealing for now and I will not be upset that when the same team steps on the court after Feb 19th. I just hope everyone that wants a LowPost guy right now doesn't get heartbroken and annoyed at Isiah. That brings me to my question.

If Isiah Thomas cannot deliver a Low Post guy by the deadline:
1) Are we still in good shape to compete in the playoffs?
2) Is anyone going to say he has not done his job (upto this point) well?

BTW, we all know Isiah is capable of pulling a trade out of thing air so even though my head tells me he wont do it, my heart tells me he will. Even if he doesnt he wil be back in the off season.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
AUTOADVERT
NYK8
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #320
USA
1/28/2004  10:23 AM
1.Knicks right now is a playoff team and will make it.
2.Zeke will transform this team to a championship contender in time.So if nothing is done at dead line,i believe something will happen in the offseason.Zeke is the man regardless.
!!!Knicks!!!
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
1/28/2004  10:46 AM
Rumor last weekend was that the POR/ATL/NY trade talks died b/c Portland insisted on getting KT along with KVH for Sheed and wanted the Knicks to take back Patterson contract also. If that deal is still on the table at the deadline, Zeke should take it.

If the Knicks don't do that deal, they can still make the playoffs with the team as currently constituted but it will be close. (I expect the race for the final 2 spots will go down to the last 2-3 games w Miami, Philly, and Boston) Without a trade we can forget about winning the division. That's the most likely outcome at this point. A seventh or eith seed and a matchup with Indy or NJ. Can we win a seven game series against either? I'm not so sure...
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/28/2004  10:51 AM
Posted by CTKnicksfan:

Rumor last weekend was that the POR/ATL/NY trade talks died b/c Portland insisted on getting KT along with KVH for Sheed and wanted the Knicks to take back Patterson contract also. If that deal is still on the table at the deadline, Zeke should take it.

so essentially it was KT and KVH for Rahim and Patterson? Any other throw-ins?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
1/28/2004  11:44 AM
This same team will do very well. Let the playoff race actually heat up into late Feb. Trust me, we will be 5th or 6th seed in the East. Its not hard to do.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
1/28/2004  1:01 PM
LayDown & Chaney sucked. Most of us are glad they're gone, and prefer to remember the last 2+ years as a bad, BAD dream.
The Knicks were going nowhere with those guys here or with the roster we had.

Now there's light at the end of the tunnel- daylight. With LayDown & Chaney, the only light at the end of the tunnel was from the train that was about to run us over for the third year straight.

No one in their right mind had faith in LayDown's roster transactions. He was the biggest joke of a GM in the NBA. Now, we have Isiah, who is respected by both players and managers alike across the NBA. He's already made deals that have made the team better. It feels damn good to have faith in Knicks management again for the first time in what felt like forever.

LayDown & Chaney deserve every bit of hate Knicks fans harbor towards them. Those who were pro-LayDown & Chaney can only nitpick and make petty criticisms of the new regime. That's only because they have to eat crowburgers and are now permanently labeled as naysayers. Not only do real fans not hear them, but couldn't vare less about their bickering now that the dark ages are behind us.

The Knicks will only get better, and anyone who calls themselves Knicks fans can and should only be proud of that.

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 01/28/2004 14:26:11]
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
bernard
Member: #475
1/28/2004  1:32 PM
Knicks are a playoff team as constituted, but unlikely 2nd round. Don't think they beat Indiana or NJ in 3 of 5 w/ 3 on the road. Don't think they get by Detroit either.

Love to make a move by deadline, but only the right move. IMO, a key flaw in the Knicks' makeup is they have only two strong, young players who are getting better still ... and they both play the point. (Not including Sweets, because he hasn't shown he's a strong player or getting better.) I've said this before. We need to showcase FWill so other teams understand how talented he is and then get a player of equal value and upside who plays upfront. Don't see how we'll get significant upgrade in frontcourt w/o including FWill, and don't think his market value today is as high as it should be, in which case we should wait 'til offseason.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/28/2004  11:01 PM
Posted by bernard:

Knicks are a playoff team as constituted, but unlikely 2nd round. Don't think they beat Indiana or NJ in 3 of 5 w/ 3 on the road. Don't think they get by Detroit either.

isnt the 1st round now 7 games also?
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
1/29/2004  10:53 AM
Yeah, the first round is now a 7-game series.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/29/2004  11:08 AM
it's time to overpay fellas. i'd much rather trade more talent for players that are a better fit. i look at a team like milwaukee and utah - two teams picked to finish dead last. two teams with SUBPAR talent. yet a two teams that play HUNGRY every night and play well as a TEAM. that's the type of attitude and chemistry we need.

so it's time to overpay talent for chemistry.

stromile swift should be a top priority. he's a restricted free agent. we can offer him the full MLE, he may take it, he may not. i think we should make a move for him now. i say trade kurt AND deke, or kurt AND frank or anything else for him right now.

PLUS, that give us a chance to offer the MLE for someone like rodney white (who is AWESOME).

[Edited by - djsunyc on 01/29/2004 11:18:55]
RonRon
Member: #246
1/29/2004  12:01 PM
stromile swift is worth more than the FULL MIDLEVEL EXCEPTION, we would be making grizzlies very happy if swift is dumb enought to sign that deal...
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
1/29/2004  1:12 PM
Stro Swift that has started just 6 games this season and averages 10 points and 5 rebounds? Big updside and athleticism but you may be overpaying if you give him more than the mid-level.

In two years he would be making ~6 million. Thats not right.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/29/2004  1:28 PM
i agree. There are some games where Hubie doesn't even plays him for under 10min.
RonRon
Member: #246
1/29/2004  2:56 PM
thats only cause hubie plays an average of 25min to all his players, does that mean pau gasol is not close to a franchise player because he averages under 30min for the year...
ARES
Member: #406
1/29/2004  3:10 PM
ron ron, i think Pao is very good offensively, but he is a horrible defender. man does he have slow feet. i wouldnt call him a franchise player. i think we tab the term on too many people. i would say he could be a possible second tier franchisee type of guy, but you cant win with him and a bunch of role players like say a hakeem.
NEW YORK, NEW YORK BIG CITY OF DREAMS, BUT EVERYTHING IN NEW YORK AINT ALWAYS WHAT IT SEEMS
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/29/2004  3:21 PM
he's worth more than the MLE to everyone but memphis - that's why he may opt to sign it. they have ALOT of depth and i think since hubie likes to play 10 players and since jerry west likes depth, we're actually giving them depth at 2 positions where they have no defense, the PF and C with kurt and deke. or PF and PG with kurt and frank. watson is gone after this season.

and as long as kurt is here, we can't upgrade the PF position b/c he would start crying (like he did with mcdyess). whether or not dice earned it is another question. plus, he's going to want $8+ mil/year, something he's not worth. let's MOVE him now and i can't think of another player better than swift. now, if isiah has TRUE VISION, then maybe he should trade him to denver for rodney white and we could move kvh to the 4. like i said, it's not about getting equal value in talent at this point, it's about getting someone who fits in better with us.

i think we'll be better off with either of the following 2 rosters:

marbury
h20
shandon/penny
kvh
swift

or

marbury
h20
white
kvh
deke/doleac

we could then use the MLE for either swift or white (whomever's not here) in the offseason and possible even re-sign doleac or bring in an athletic guy like chris anderson. heck, if we get stro in now, we could possibly get fizer with the mle as well.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 01/29/2004 15:23:42]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/29/2004  4:05 PM
now that I look into it I would take Swift who's averaging 9.5pts 5.3rebs while shooting 48% and blocking shots all in juust 19.7min over Kurt Thomas.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
1/29/2004  4:21 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

he's worth more than the MLE to everyone but memphis - that's why he may opt to sign it. they have ALOT of depth and i think since hubie likes to play 10 players and since jerry west likes depth, we're actually giving them depth at 2 positions where they have no defense, the PF and C with kurt and deke. or PF and PG with kurt and frank. watson is gone after this season.

and as long as kurt is here, we can't upgrade the PF position b/c he would start crying (like he did with mcdyess). whether or not dice earned it is another question. plus, he's going to want $8+ mil/year, something he's not worth. let's MOVE him now and i can't think of another player better than swift. now, if isiah has TRUE VISION, then maybe he should trade him to denver for rodney white and we could move kvh to the 4. like i said, it's not about getting equal value in talent at this point, it's about getting someone who fits in better with us.

i think we'll be better off with either of the following 2 rosters:

marbury
h20
shandon/penny
kvh
swift

or

marbury
h20
white
kvh
deke/doleac

we could then use the MLE for either swift or white (whomever's not here) in the offseason and possible even re-sign doleac or bring in an athletic guy like chris anderson. heck, if we get stro in now, we could possibly get fizer with the mle as well.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 01/29/2004 15:23:42]
I would love having Swift, but KVH at the PF position would kill us defensively, he would get man-handled down low.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
NYK8
Member: #320
USA
1/29/2004  4:40 PM
Swift for the M.L.E is just right.He still has more to prove for a better offer or max contract.I'll take him over Thomas but Swift at the 5 nahh.KVH in the PF spot can be an option but its going to hurt on defence,although its been said about him all season and it hasn't been a big thing at the SF.Now if we get Artest then he could switch.
!!!Knicks!!!
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
1/29/2004  4:46 PM
"Swift for the M.L.E is just right.He still has more to prove for a better offer or max contract.I'll take him over Thomas but Swift at the 5 nahh.KVH in the PF spot can be an option but its going to hurt on defence,although its been said about him all season and it hasn't been a big thing at the SF.Now if we get Artest then he could switch."

Artest is untouchable for now (we blew our shot at him when we drafted Frederic Weis), but if we could get Swift for the MLE that would be great.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
deadline less than a month away

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy